The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 August 2017, 08:46 AM   #1
JayB
"TRF" Member

Watch: EXP, DJ, NF
Tudor North Flag

As I was at home alone earlier this evening with a bit of spare time I thought I'd pop along to a local AD and see what was on offer.

Now to be honest I'm not much of a fan of the Tudor range but the North Flag is a piece that caught my eye when it was released. Since then I've not really been able to make my mind up on it.

Well I finally managed to try both the strap and the bracelet version on.

First the bracelet, no offence intended as I know this is the more popular model out of the 2 on here but in my honest opinion I just found it dull and completely uninspiring and couldn't wait to take it off.

Next the strap, WOW. What a beauty. I know it's not for everyone but the black leather with yellow stitching really brings this watch to life. The clasp is a work of art and the overall look, size and feel of the watch was just perfect, I didn't want to take it off and I'd probably be sat here now with it on my wrist if it wasn't closing time.

I have just over 9 hours until they open again to make a decision, I am so tempted.

I would ask for advice on what I should do but I know you will all just lead me astray, again.

2 years ago I didn't own a watch and hadn't worn one for nearly 20 years, then I joined this forum. You guys have a lot to answer for.

Rolex Explorer -- Rolex Datejust -- Tudor North Flag -- Omega De Ville Trésor -- Tudor Black Bay GMT -- Omega Speedmaster Professional -- Tudor Black Bay Fifty Eight
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 09:19 AM   #2
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB View Post
As I was at home alone earlier this evening with a bit of spare time I thought I'd pop along to a local AD and see what was on offer.

Now to be honest I'm not much of a fan of the Tudor range but the North Flag is a piece that caught my eye when it was released. Since then I've not really been able to make my mind up on it.

Well I finally managed to try both the strap and the bracelet version on.

First the bracelet, no offence intended as I know this is the more popular model out of the 2 on here but in my honest opinion I just found it dull and completely uninspiring and couldn't wait to take it off.

Next the strap, WOW. What a beauty. I know it's not for everyone but the black leather with yellow stitching really brings this watch to life. The clasp is a work of art and the overall look, size and feel of the watch was just perfect, I didn't want to take it off and I'd probably be sat here now with it on my wrist if it wasn't closing time.

I have just over 9 hours until they open again to make a decision, I am so tempted.

I would ask for advice on what I should do but I know you will all just lead me astray, again.

2 years ago I didn't own a watch and hadn't worn one for nearly 20 years, then I joined this forum. You guys have a lot to answer for.
Only 9 hours to go. Betcha can't wait.
Tudor Ranger 79910
Nomos Club Datum 733
Nomos Metro 38
Stowa Flieger Classic 40

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 09:22 AM   #3
ejvette
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: me break clays..
Its a very reasonably priced piece I would Probably grab one from a seller on the forum and save a few shackles

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 09:57 AM   #4
Spoonage

My personal preference would be the strap. I think for that watch it really makes it pop over the bracelet. Most however will say bracelet, but of all my watches the only one on a bracelet is my BLNR. Everything else I've moved to NATO or leather. I would probably have one if it came in other colors besides yellow. While I agree the yellow looks good I really think red would go well with this watch.

Also while there don't seem to be many reviews on the North Flag, I've never really seen anything negative, and many praise the movement in it.
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 09:58 AM   #5
maxbaris
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
My most favorite watch ever! It's very different and the price is reasonable. Highly recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
maxbaris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 10:03 AM   #6
ExpSubGMT
Banned

I hear ya, buddy. I had the same experience at the AD - tried on both bracelet and strap versions, the strap just grabbed me.

That said, the strap is leather (mixed with... I forget), and as the watch has 100M WR, it just didn't make sense in the end.

A watch like that is meant to be an Explorer type watch, you wear it everywhere, beach/ocean included, and if you take the strap into water (showers included), it will eventually need to be replaced, not to mention stink.

The bracelet, like a Rolex Explorer, is the way to go. Because, if you buy w/ strap, and decide later you want the bracelet, it's an extra $800 (not sure what that is in BP) - if you purchase on bracelet and get a strap down the road, that will cost less.

Just sayin.
ExpSubGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 10:12 AM   #7
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbaris View Post
My most favorite watch ever! It's very different and the price is reasonable. Highly recommended.

Good looking watch.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 02:00 PM   #8
Friar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 216570
I think the NF is an extraordinary watch. Bought mine on a bracelet and then got the strap later. I usually eschew leather from late spring to late fall though.
Friar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 02:08 PM   #9
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
I just got the North Flag on leather and find the watch brilliant. Wait until you get it outside in the light. Or in other indoor lighting situations. The case is also outstanding and the leather, stitching and clasp is superb... I love mine. In-house movement, 70 hour reserve... date that changes instantly at midnight...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8652.JPG (155.2 KB, 206 views)

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 06:17 PM   #10
JayB
"TRF" Member

Love the pictures, you guy's really aren't helping me to resist. less than 30 minutes to opening time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejvette View Post
Its a very reasonably priced piece I would Probably grab one from a seller on the forum and save a few shackles
Unfortunately living in the UK by the time I've added VAT and Import Duty it would end up costing me more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpSubGMT View Post
That said, the strap is leather (mixed with... I forget), and as the watch has 100M WR, it just didn't make sense in the end.

A watch like that is meant to be an Explorer type watch, you wear it everywhere, beach/ocean included, and if you take the strap into water (showers included), it will eventually need to be replaced, not to mention stink.

if you purchase on bracelet and get a strap down the road, that will cost less.

Just sayin.
This was my original thought but to be honest I really didn't like it on the bracelet so if I bought it now I'd probably just go straight for the strap.

I get what you're saying regarding water but I don't really come into contact with much water in my day to day life and although it's water resistant I doubt it would ever be submerged.

Also I don't shower with a watch on, just doesn't seem right to me. I shower to clean me, all of me so therefore everything comes off.

Rolex Explorer -- Rolex Datejust -- Tudor North Flag -- Omega De Ville Trésor -- Tudor Black Bay GMT -- Omega Speedmaster Professional -- Tudor Black Bay Fifty Eight
Old 30 August 2017, 07:00 PM   #11
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
Very nice watch! Love the yellow.
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 09:07 PM   #12
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like the watch but would have to get about 30% off retail to purchase. Soft secondary market and I might get bored and decide to move it. If no significant discount I would wait and wanting it may pass.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 09:25 PM   #13
soho
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Varies
A great watch. I had one on the bracelet and really enjoyed it. Agreed that you should consider picking one up on the secondary market, there usually are a few available on this forum's classifieds at a reasonable price.

soho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 09:44 PM   #14
ExpSubGMT
Banned

This was my original thought but to be honest I really didn't like it on the bracelet so if I bought it now I'd probably just go straight for the strap.

I get what you're saying regarding water but I don't really come into contact with much water in my day to day life and although it's water resistant I doubt it would ever be submerged.

Also I don't shower with a watch on, just doesn't seem right to me. I shower to clean me, all of me so therefore everything comes off.

[/QUOTE]

Fair enough - Post pics when you buy it!
ExpSubGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 11:17 PM   #15
JayB
"TRF" Member

Well it's official, I'm a weak man with absolutely no will power.

I have to say, pictures don't do this watch justice, if anyone out there is like me and a little unsure you definitely need to see it in the flesh.

Old 30 August 2017, 11:32 PM   #16
JnmEaton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18038 Presidential
very cool watch.
JnmEaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 02:20 AM   #17
drm20

Watch: Just one more
Haha, very cool and congrats. I really like it with the leather strap!!!
drm20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 02:56 AM   #18
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
I love it very nice great decision! ... Congrats!
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 03:02 AM   #19
JayB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JnmEaton View Post
very cool watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drm20 View Post
Haha, very cool and congrats. I really like it with the leather strap!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boaters View Post
I love it very nice great decision! ... Congrats!
Thanks guys, I've been wearing it all day and the only regret I have is I didn't buy it much sooner

Old 31 August 2017, 03:38 AM   #20
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Great stuff. Lovely watch. For the water stuff, see if you can get either a cheap leather strap or a rubber one and sorted!
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 04:34 AM   #21
wach16
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228239, PAM00684
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB View Post
Well it's official, I'm a weak man with absolutely no will power.

I have to say, pictures don't do this watch justice, if anyone out there is like me and a little unsure you definitely need to see it in the flesh.
Congrats!

Rolex 228239
PAM00684
wach16 is offline   Reply With Quote