The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 14 July 2014, 12:47 PM   #1
Bling72
"TRF" Member

Can't see myself parting with that much money

Hello all.

This may be a case of double-standards. I own a Rolex (which I purchased pre-owned for a healthy discount).

I live in Perth, I purchased a Mont Blanc Pen in Singapore and got a healthy discount. It may be a while before I visit Singapore again.

I am relatively new to Calligraphy and purchased a Lamy set which has 4 different nibs. I found that the broad nibs offer a great Calligraphy writing style. I am still working on creating my own Calligraphy font. The feel of the Lamy pen isn't so great, as it's multi-edged. I prefer the rounded pen with a nice finish (similarly to the Mont Blanc pens).

I went to my local Mont Blanc store, and found a nice selection of suitable fountain pens.

However the prices start from $760 (the Star Walker fountain pen), up to
$1320.

I simply just cannot see myself parting with that kind of money.

Obtaining pre-owned Mont Blanc pens is absolutely impossible in Australia.

Secondly I do not have any faith or confidence in ebay and I refuse to buy anything from there.

I would be open to alternate brands which are under $300, which have a smooth finish on the body of the pen, come with a broad or double broad nib, which is flexible.

Any suggestions on particular models will be appreciated.
Bling72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2014, 09:27 PM   #2
Travelair007
"TRF" Member

Visconti has a line of pens (Van Gogh, Michelangelo, Salvatore Dali tributes) that are smooth, flexible Pd nibs, can be bought with Broad nibs and can be had for $150-175 pre-owned or $250-275 new discounted.
Travelair007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2014, 10:06 PM   #3
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
You may also want to check with and join a Pen Forum or find a Pen Club in your area as these are both excellent options for finding pens at good to great prices in the area where you live. Also we have a buying and selling option/sub-forum(Pen Classified) here as well. Another option if you prefer MontBlanc pens is MontBlanc does run sales in the Spring(March or April, I believe) and Fall(I believe in October)for about a week each time. They only put selected pens and sizes on sale but you might find something during these sales which meets your needs!!!

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2014, 09:49 PM   #4
2careless
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Well Leo, the pickings are very slim in Perth for pen collecting...
As for flexible nib, modern MB's aren't flexible like the vintage ones.
I'd look for a Pilot Justus if you really want something like that on a modern pen ...
2careless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2014, 10:46 AM   #5
Lion
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2careless View Post
Well Leo, the pickings are very slim in Perth for pen collecting...
As for flexible nib, modern MB's aren't flexible like the vintage ones.
I'd look for a Pilot Justus if you really want something like that on a modern pen ...
Kai, of course I do not know your market...and it's true there are not many new truly gold, flexible nibs on Fountain pens these days. Do you have a once a year Pen Show in Perth or a city near by???

Old 16 July 2014, 01:14 PM   #6
Bling72
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the invaluable feedback

Hi all. Your advice is highly appreciated.

Perth has 2 shops that sell pens and that is it. One sells many brands of pens excellent customer service but their pens cost
Between 15-30% more than retail price.

Expect to pay $1000 for a 800 retail pen.

We have no shows, no clubs, memberships, to be honest Perth is the worlds most expensive place in the world to buy anything. Our cds cost 3x more than the US. Our food cost more than double. Just forget about paying anything less than $10 for a takeaway meal unless you go to mcdonalds.

It doesnt make it cheaper for me to buy overseas because we have to pay for the flight then export taxes so it works out more expensive anyway. Singapore is the only country that has a favourable exchange rate. I read over 100 forums it boils down to the exchange rate.

Rolex and pens and jewelry all the same in Perth. No competition so they can charge whatever they want and if you ask for a discount good luck getting anything.

One good thing however, I really do like the feel of the Mont blanc is incredible. I may go for the le grand meisterstuck. The 149 is a little too bulky and pricey for me. The john lennon one is 3x more expensive but part of the material is made of vinyl. The clip is the shape of a guitar.
Old 17 July 2014, 12:46 AM   #7
Lion
"TRF" Member

Bling72, I have the John Lennon Fountain pen but have not inked it...and yes it is really a nice pen and cool(for now will keep it a "safe queen"). Understand tho, I grew up in the 60's with the Beatles and John was always the one I could relate too and liked the best. Remember well the "British Invasion" and the music coming out of L.A. and San Francisco which both had a very distinctive style and sound.

I'm sorry to hear that the cost of living is high and very little in choices and competitors. Being that I live outside of Chicago everything is 24/7 and we do have choices and many amenities. But I too am on a budget and do not buy everything I would like or want. I do have to save up to buy any higher ticket item. I take care of my "needs(food, clothing and shelter)first." Then I go after "wants" when I can and buy the toys!!!

Good luck and trust you will be able to eventually get what you want!!!
Take care.....Leo

Old 17 July 2014, 01:10 AM   #8
Bling72
"TRF" Member

Thanks Lion

Hi Lion, yes the John Lennon pen range is very lovely. I saw the various models that they have, including one that they made only 70 of.

I don't want to sound harsh on Myself, but My calligraphy skills do not justify a Mont Blanc fountain pen. I understand being a profound writer is not a requirement, and I own a Starwalker pen and pencil.

I tried several non Mont Blanc pens from the other stores, including a Cartier diablo. Strangely enough Cartier were famous for their pens way before they put themselves on the map with their watches.

Their blue diablo feels devine. For the same price I can get a Meisterstuck, or several other options of Mont Blanc pens. I don't feel the need to buy a 149 regardless if it's an iconic pen or not. I understand it is the thickness that is part of what the number means. The 9 meaning it is the largest nib in that they make.

The 146 feels more like the Starwalker liner.

I buy the fountain pen, one that feels incredible to hold and write, and I get that out of the way, no need to buy another pen for a long time. Unless I hit a fortune or choose not to travel overseas for a while.

I am still in the market for my next Rolex, but I am not achingly desperate to get that in a hurry.

I sincerely have a lot of work to do to get my calligraphy skills improved.

On youtube there are lots of excellent writers with inspiring penmanship.

It would be nice to set the goal of being able to write more than 100 different fonts. I know I will be able to do that, just need the time and committment.

Mont Blanc highly recommend to use only Mont Blanc ink in their fountain pens for both the longevity of the pen plus to retain the warrenty.

Then I found out that Mont Blanc fountain pens need to be serviced every year. I intend to use it very heavily, if I use black ink the resevoir will be darker and harder to see the levels (not that I really need that).

I could wait and may prefer one of the next limited editon pens that come out. I couldn't afford to get one that is more than double the price of a Star Walker. I realise you pay for the materials, the extra gold, and diamonds.

Looking at the older pens, wow there was plenty of devine, exceptionally crafted limited edition MB pens. Once you go over the 4-7K, do you really want to use it every day ? I can understand if you wish to hold onto it, but you never end up using it. It is great if you're an investor.

Everyone who I showed my Rolex to, all told me the same thing. If I am going to pay that much for a watch, I'd better damn well wear it. What is the point paying for something you're never going to use or touch ?

I love wearing my Rolex. I don't like it when I am not wearing it.
Old 25 July 2014, 02:39 PM   #9
Rusty888
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc BLNR
Hi Bling,

Understand your concern. I myself live in Perth and can understand your frustration with our Pen offering. Mont Blanc Botique whilst are nice yes they are expensive pens. The other store has the offerings but are very overpriced.

What i recommend, try Sailor. Do some research and you will see the quality of their pens. Dont be put off by the price. PM me and I will tell you where to purchase from from Japan at roughly 50% off Australian Prices.

Myself I just got a Sailor and am about to purchase one for my father for his upcoming birthday.

I have a Starwalker Midnight Metal with a F nib myself and yes it did cost just over $1,000. You will find out that the starwalker cannot take a cartridge converter and whilst they say to use their inks you dont have. Whilst you could use a needle to fill up the cartridge I would suggest getting a cartridge converter pen. Half the fun is with ink colour choice and not the 4 colours available.

Another option for a cheap price to start is the Pilot Custom 74. Just received mine and is my daily pen for when I am out of the office.

I would stay away from pre-owned Mont Blancs unless you purchase off the Fountain Network Site from a trusted member.

I have my eye on a matching 146 set (fountain pen M nib, ball point and pencil)
Rusty888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2014, 09:14 PM   #10
SUBversive
Banned

Watch: Sun Dial
Hi bling .... Might I suggest something, I was recently in a national (USA) art store called. Blink art. They have high end artist calligraphy paper pens and nibs. Not sure about your area of course but you may have something of the sort there. If calligraphy is your interest this might be a more affordable way of starting that hobby until you can or want to spring for a 1k pen.
SUBversive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2014, 09:54 PM   #11
Bling72
"TRF" Member

Hi Subverse. Thanks for the info. I ended up getting myself a Mont Blanc Meisterstuck
90th Anniversary 14k Red Gold Broad Nib Le Grand Fountain Pen. Absolutely love writing
with it.

It cost me near 750, but the pen was a fantastic choice, it writes absolutely wonderful.

I have since then purchased and tested many writing pads/papers including exceptional
quality ones such as Fiorenza and G.Lalo.

I managed to obtain some beautiful inks, which I will take a photo of this weekend.

So the colours have been sorted out.

Next thing I need is to develop my Calligraphy skills :)
Mont Blanc Starwalker Red Gold Fineliner & Mech Pencil
Mont Blanc Meisterstuck Red Gold 90th Anniv FPen
Old 13 September 2014, 02:48 AM   #12
jimbones43
"TRF" Member

Try fountain pen hospital .com
Excellent service and discounted MB's.
I'm sure they ship worldwide!
jimbones43 is offline   Reply With Quote