The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 October 2018, 03:41 AM   #1
kauffee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
Lots of thread locks lately

I've noticed in the last few days, maybe longer, there are a lot of locked threads all of a sudden. I don't see any clear rules violations. Honestly, I don't see a ton of value in most of those threads... but that's just my opinion. Some of them had a fair amount of posts.

As I write this, there are 6 locked threads at the top of page 2.

Here's a pretty typical "How do I deal with this scratch" thread. Again, not a lot of value in my opinion, but why the lock? Many members care about this kind of thing.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=633257

I appreciate the work the mods do to keep the board in good shape, but it would be nice if they posted as to why they are locking a specific thread.
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2018, 04:28 AM   #2
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
So many are repeat threads, shopping, value, trading topics that I am glad they are locking these things. Also they are very frequently by new members lately.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2018, 04:45 AM   #3
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauffee View Post
I've noticed in the last few days, maybe longer, there are a lot of locked threads all of a sudden. I don't see any clear rules violations. Honestly, I don't see a ton of value in most of those threads... but that's just my opinion. Some of them had a fair amount of posts.

Here's a pretty typical "How do I deal with this scratch" thread. Again, not a lot of value in my opinion, but why the lock? Many members care about this kind of thing.

I appreciate the work the mods do to keep the board in good shape, but it would be nice if they posted as to why they are locking a specific thread.
That thread is not locked, but maybe this one should be for spreading misinformation!
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2018, 05:04 AM   #4
kauffee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baco Noir View Post
That thread is not locked, but maybe this one should be for spreading misinformation!

I promise you it was when I made that post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 October 2018, 05:09 AM   #5
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Just ask why two high profile members got banned recently. That conversation always gets shut down pretty quickly for some reason.

It seems there are some things we're just never meant to know, like why do car tyres only ever go flat at the bottom?
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2018, 05:12 AM   #6
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I promise you it was when I made that post!

I just looked at 7 pages of new threads and not a single one was locked. Maybe they had been "reported" and waiting for review by a moderator. Whatever happened, seems to be cleared up now.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Old 12 October 2018, 05:17 AM   #7
kauffee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baco Noir View Post
I just looked at 7 pages of new threads and not a single one was locked. Maybe they had been "reported" and waiting for review by a moderator. Whatever happened, seems to be cleared up now.

Not sure what you’re looking at. Page 2 of Rolex General Discussion still showing 6 closed threads. Here’s a screenshot.

Old 12 October 2018, 08:55 AM   #8
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Maybe message a moderator if you are concerned. I am sure whoever closed those threads had their reasons. Do you have any idea how many threads, posts, scammers, spammers, etc we have to deal with on a daily basis? To explain to people why each time would take quite a bit of time and we all have full time jobs and lives. We do this in our spare time and to give back to the community. So things go pretty well here and we have a great community. Enjoy the forum and contribute and we will do our best to keep the peace.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2018, 09:12 AM   #9
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not sure what you’re looking at. Page 2 of Rolex General Discussion still showing 6 closed threads. Here’s a screenshot.

I was looking at the 7 pages under “New Posts” which looks at the latest threads, not just the Rolex subforum.
Old 12 October 2018, 11:31 AM   #10
kauffee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Maybe message a moderator if you are concerned. I am sure whoever closed those threads had their reasons. Do you have any idea how many threads, posts, scammers, spammers, etc we have to deal with on a daily basis? To explain to people why each time would take quite a bit of time and we all have full time jobs and lives. We do this in our spare time and to give back to the community. So things go pretty well here and we have a great community. Enjoy the forum and contribute and we will do our best to keep the peace.
Please don't take it the wrong way. As I said in my original post, I appreciate the work the mods do. But it's not always clear to me why a thread was locked and who locked it. I've seen padi lock threads where he makes one final post announcing that the thread was locked and often gives a reason. I appreciate that transparency.
Old 12 October 2018, 05:12 PM   #11
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Please don't take it the wrong way. As I said in my original post, I appreciate the work the mods do. But it's not always clear to me why a thread was locked and who locked it. I've seen padi lock threads where he makes one final post announcing that the thread was locked and often gives a reason. I appreciate that transparency.
I agree with all of this - both emphatic appreciation of the work that Mods here do and also a desire to get a more nuanced understanding of the community standards that should not be violated in order to avoid having a thread locked or earning infraction points (or worse)
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2018, 05:37 PM   #12
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:

Hi K,

You have been here for a long time.

When you arrived here in 2008 TRF was a small Forum but check out the Forum numbers today.

I don’t know how the Mods manage to moderate the volume of threads and posts that appear each day and we can all see that many threads and posts are duplicated where the Forum could have be searched for the answers.

The Moderators and Steve do their work for no monetary reward to make TRF a place where we can all enjoy a common bond and this takes up a lot of their valuable private time.

All members whether pledge members or not must support and accept the actions of the “Mods” and be PROACTIVE in the running of the Forum.

E.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2018, 08:34 PM   #13
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
And we thank you for all you do
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2018, 08:41 PM   #14
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
And we thank you for all you do
Thanks Brian!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 12 October 2018, 08:48 PM   #15
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
We appreciate you and the other moderators efforts that go into making this THE best forum on the www
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2018, 09:08 PM   #16
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
We appreciate you and the other moderators efforts that go into making this THE best forum on the www
Thanks Brian!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT