The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 14 December 2018, 08:42 PM   #61
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchaic View Post
Check out some of PP other pieces and you may skip a 5711. The 5396 is a great all purpose watch. The Nautilus is cool but the complicated watches are cooler.
OP already has the iconic 5711 (He mentioned that in his first post).
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 03:16 AM   #62
dsk28
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspp View Post
How long have you been collecting watches? I only ask this because of your response to 1 above. Yes the nautilus is iconic but when I started 10 years ago in this hobby people were very much into complicated pateks with people seeking out enamel, PCs and PCCs and so on which are things that go back decades before the 1976 nautilus. 5711s were popular but still attainable and would trade at a small discount off of retail in the preowned market.

All in all a far cry from today. Now the “grail” is the entry level steel sports watch! Quite ironic by all measures!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It seems not too long ago, I started with an AP in 2012 and owned my first PP 3 years later. Since then my focus has solely been on ss PP & Rolex due to their design and price point, both of which fits my profile.
dsk28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 04:16 AM   #63
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
I blame PP, as I do Rolex. PP has chosen not to keep pace with demand, regardless of whether you agree with that decision or not, thereby passing the problem on to ADs and purchasers. Until such time as demand drops or PP or Rolex ups their production (which they're unlikely to do), the problem will remain.
The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 04:41 AM   #64
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk28 View Post
It seems not too long ago, I started with an AP in 2012 and owned my first PP 3 years later. Since then my focus has solely been on ss PP & Rolex due to their design and price point, both of which fits my profile.
Interesting point. Are tastes changing, such that more purchasers see their watches through the prism of the "tool watch" hence wanting SS over PM? PP sees this and really doesn't know how to react to this change, much less want to react to it. Its business model is based on PM.
The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote