The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 14 June 2022, 11:00 AM   #1
jtorrebl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: what’s next.
Need help with 2021 Speedmaster bracelet screws

Just got my Sapphire watch yesterday and I want to move some links over to the other side so the under clasp centers in my wrist. I removed one side screw and saw that it was just a screw cap to balance out the looks. I then tried to unscrew the other side but it wouldn’t budge. Any tips from new Speedmaster owners in how to remove the screws?
I’ve resized all my other Rolex watches before. I just couldn’t do this one. What screw driver size do you recommend. My Rolex one was to small and has some play when in the screw head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jtorrebl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2022, 01:11 AM   #2
the_drunk_dial
"TRF" Member

Maybe 1.8-2mm, but if you have that many different watches that you’re adjusting yourself, you should really invest in a Bergeon screw set. The new ones come with too much loctite. Use a hair dryer to loosen the loctite.
the_drunk_dial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2022, 01:13 AM   #3
Fletre
"TRF" Member

I used a slightly larger screwdriver to make a perfect fitting one and used a circuit board soldering iron with a point and placed it on each screw head for about 2 minutes to loosen the loctite. There's a pin between the 2 screws you have to push out. It comes out easily after the screws are out
Fletre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2022, 01:54 AM   #4
Madmoney
"TRF" Member

Watch: JLC Duoface, Speed
I have the same issue. They sized at the AD but now I want to take out another link and I cannot get these screws out. Do they come with Loctite from Omega?
Madmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2022, 05:35 AM   #5
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

You need a Wiha 96018 slotted screwdriver. I struggled removing the screws on my Omega watches until I got this specific screwdriver. If you try to use the same one that you would use on a Panerai or Rolex (even though it technically fits), it will slip or you won't have the torque. Bergeon doesn't really make a perfect fitting screwdriver, but I believe 1.6 is the appropriate size. Once I got this Wiha screwdriver off Amazon, I never had an issue adjusting an Omega bracelet again. I actually struggled more removing the pins on the new Speedmaster bracelets since all the links articulate. It's harder to line everything up.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2022, 12:50 PM   #6
jtorrebl

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_drunk_dial View Post
Maybe 1.8-2mm, but if you have that many different watches that you’re adjusting yourself, you should really invest in a Bergeon screw set. The new ones come with too much loctite. Use a hair dryer to loosen the loctite.
Thank you. I have one Bergeron screwdriver and tried that one but must have been the loctite. I’ll heat it up then

Old 15 June 2022, 01:04 PM   #7
jtorrebl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletre View Post
I used a slightly larger screwdriver to make a perfect fitting one and used a circuit board soldering iron with a point and placed it on each screw head for about 2 minutes to loosen the loctite. There's a pin between the 2 screws you have to push out. It comes out easily after the screws are out
Oh so they’re screw caps but still use a pin system? Wow that’ll make it a little tricky to get it back in with all the links on this bracelet. Online all the reviews said it was now a screw system and didn’t mention the pins.

Old 16 June 2022, 07:17 AM   #8
BatteryVoltas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtorrebl View Post
Thank you. I have one Bergeron screwdriver and tried that one but must have been the loctite. I’ll heat it up then

You're on the right track but I would like to echo what Ravager135 recommended (Wiha slotted screwdriver).

The Bergeron is a nice screwdriver but inappropriate for the task because it doesn't have a hollow ground tip. The Bergeron is wedge shaped (tapered) while the Wiha has straight sides that slots into the screw nearly perfectly.

With a ground tip making contact on nearly the entire surface of the screw head, you reduce the risk of camming out or worse camming out and scratching things.

Also, heat is your friend. If you don't get it loose on the first try with the Wiha, heat it up again and you should be good. You might be able to remove the screw with minimal to no damage with your Bergeron by using a little more heat. No one likes a cold screw.
BatteryVoltas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2022, 03:26 AM   #9
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Just bought a new Speedy (hesalite) and had the same issue trying to size the bracelet myself .... and the hair dryer trick didn't work either. I've been sizing my own bracelets for decades, but apparently none of my numerous screwdrivers was the perfect fit for the new (old) style Speedy bracelet.

Went to the NYC Omega Boutique and the tech took care of it in 5 minutes. Oy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New Speedy.jpg (275.8 KB, 196 views)
swish77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2022, 07:51 AM   #10
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Also had to go to the AD and they told me it was a common “issue” / Many struggled
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 03:19 AM   #11
Madmoney
"TRF" Member

Watch: JLC Duoface, Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
You need a Wiha 96018 slotted screwdriver. I struggled removing the screws on my Omega watches until I got this specific screwdriver. If you try to use the same one that you would use on a Panerai or Rolex (even though it technically fits), it will slip or you won't have the torque. Bergeon doesn't really make a perfect fitting screwdriver, but I believe 1.6 is the appropriate size. Once I got this Wiha screwdriver off Amazon, I never had an issue adjusting an Omega bracelet again. I actually struggled more removing the pins on the new Speedmaster bracelets since all the links articulate. It's harder to line everything up.
I bought this and just used it to remove 1 link, which I wasnt able to do with my previous screwdriver. The wiha worked perfectly. Highly recommend.
Madmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 11:24 PM   #12
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmoney View Post
I bought this and just used it to remove 1 link, which I wasnt able to do with my previous screwdriver. The wiha worked perfectly. Highly recommend.
Thanks man. I always tried to use Bergeon screwdrivers in the past and I "could" get it accomplished, but sometimes I'd only get one screw out on one side and need to shake the pin out to get the bracelet apart. Once I got the Wiha, I never looked back. If you're going to own several Omega watches and adjust the bracelets yourself, it's the only way to go.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote