The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 October 2012, 11:42 PM   #1
RolexDivers
Banned

Eminem & Rolex Interview

You have to see this for yourselves:

A multimillionaire, not sure if he could afford a Rolex .... and why he doesn't wear it is even more funnier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukywy...eature=related
RolexDivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2012, 11:56 PM   #2
jay1988
"TRF" Member

I really do like the guy.

On the other hand I also know he lives in a 10,000 square foot Mansion in Michigan. So I don't buy it when he said he asked his manager if he could afford the watch. You live in a house that obviously costs a few million dollars so you know you can afford a watch that is at most $100k. That's assuming he went for the most expensive one which is unlikely as he's not the diamonds type.

I'm guessing he just isn't the Rolex type, On the other hand he has a sneaker collection that's probably worth a few hundred grand. Saying he doesn't know if he can afford a Rolex probably helps with his image as a man of the people.
jay1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2012, 12:01 AM   #3
RolexDivers
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay1988 View Post
I really do like the guy.

On the other hand I also know he lives in a 10,000 square foot Mansion in Michigan. So I don't buy it when he said he asked his manager if he could afford the watch. You live in a house that obviously costs a few million dollars so you know you can afford a watch that is at most $100k. That's assuming he went for the most expensive one which is unlikely as he's not the diamonds type.

I'm guessing he just isn't the Rolex type, On the other hand he has a sneaker collection that's probably worth a few hundred grand. Saying he doesn't know if he can afford a Rolex probably helps with his image as a man of the people.
You're right Jay --- but I think he is talking about when he first sold a million albums --- when he transitioned from a nobody to a somebody ....

I have heard something similar about Bill Gates. He wanted this Porsche that cost $250,000 in the early 80s. He did not buy it till he had 500 million bucks in his bank .... that was his condition.... boy, talk about patience...
RolexDivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2012, 12:10 AM   #4
Mephist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexDivers View Post
You're right Jay --- but I think he is talking about when he first sold a million albums --- when he transitioned from a nobody to a somebody ....

I have heard something similar about Bill Gates. He wanted this Porsche that cost $250,000 in the early 80s. He did not buy it till he had 500 million bucks in his bank .... that was his condition.... boy, talk about patience...
I think you are right. Eminem clearly states "They make fun of me for it, but the whole money thing, it was brand new to me." So I also guess he did not know how much money he had earned yet, and he also probably did not know the price of a Rolex, only that it is an expensive watch.

I also like this guy, not his music so much, but he seems very down to earth from different interviews and some lyrics.
Old 21 October 2012, 12:24 AM   #5
FremStar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Wall Street
It's only entertainment! This is the same gent who along with Dr. Dre gifted 50 cent with a half million dollar timepiece!

Thanks for the link!

"A Watch Is An Emotional Object, And So, It Is The Responsibility Of The Brand To Create Emotion Through It's Products" - Georges Kern

"In the 1950s and 60s, they made the Ref 8171, which is a cult collectible—now that’s the ultimate Rolex you could own with a calendar and a moon phase.” - John Reardon

"Heh, heh, heh..." - Michael Kilyung
FremStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2012, 01:28 AM   #6
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
I however, do not like this guy. Entertainment or not, his lyrics against gays and women are pretty awful.
Old 21 October 2012, 01:47 AM   #7
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD,Sub,GMT,Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe100 View Post
I however, do not like this guy. Entertainment or not, his lyrics against gays and women are pretty awful.
he has said himself that his lyrics are not his beliefs. He also proved that when Elton John did a duet with him for the grammy's. He has also admitted to calling Elton John when he was having trouble with his drug and alcohol addiction.

He has proven time and time again that he does not have any ill feelings towards gays lesbians or anyone, and has also stated that what he was doing was just his "job" and he does not have any of the beliefs or feelings portrayed in any of his songs.
mannyv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2012, 01:56 AM   #8
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
We'll fine for M&M that he can buy one . . .

Hope he can ;-)

Wasn't there another rapper who bought 20 or 25 Day Dates for his friends . . . .

He did ask his manager . . .

HAGWe

Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2012, 02:06 AM   #9
joe100

Doesn't matter what he believes. He says this crap and kids hear it and perpetuate it. I can't believe anyone would stick up for this guy. This gang culture rap music crap spouts nothing but hate and no amount of "oh he did a duet" will change my mind
Old 21 October 2012, 02:21 AM   #10
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
he's a bonafide artist with flaws... scott pelley should have done the interview and asked that question while wearing one of his... that guy has an octopus's rolex collection!
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2012, 02:31 AM   #11
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

That's fine you are more than entitled to your opinion about this person. But to blame him for the way a child acts is foolish and that's just my humble opinion. Maybe people should take responsibility for their own actions instead of trying to blame someone else for what they do?

I also do not think we should further hijack this thread at all.
Old 21 October 2012, 02:37 AM   #12
RRsDJ

Watch: 16078 / 16618
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe100 View Post
Doesn't matter what he believes. He says this crap and kids hear it and perpetuate it. I can't believe anyone would stick up for this guy. This gang culture rap music crap spouts nothing but hate and no amount of "oh he did a duet" will change my mind

It's nothing more than entertainment, just like actors playing roles / parts. If a parent raised their kids with hard values it doesn't matter what they listen to or watch in the movies.

Funny how rock and roll can talk about doing drugs, sleeping with different girls every night of the week and that's ok. Sex drugs and rock and roll.....yeah duuuude!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RRsDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2012, 02:43 AM   #13
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrcompton View Post
It's nothing more than entertainment, just like actors playing roles / parts. If a parent raised their kids with hard values it doesn't matter what they listen to or watch in the movies.

Funny how rock and roll can talk about doing drugs, sleeping with different girls every night of the week and that's ok. Sex drugs and rock and roll.....yeah duuuude!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
x2
Old 21 October 2012, 02:48 AM   #14
joe100

Whatever

Sent from my  using Tapatalk
Old 21 October 2012, 03:58 AM   #15
bluecollar

I thought it was pretty funny the first time I watched that interview as well.

I've always been a fan, as he is a very gifted lyricist. There is actually a part of this full interview when his lyrics regarding homosexuals are discussed. He actually states that those words were used habitually during his youth, and they were aimed at each other rather than actually towards homosexuals. While I do agree that young minds hear these lyrics and can take too much of what he is saying to heart; I also believe that it is our responsibility as a parent to teach right and wrong, real and entertainment.

I have a young son, and we sit him down anytime vulgar language is heard (tv, radio, at the mall, etc.) and explain to him why those words aren't okay to repeat. It's no different than violence on tv. It's all about proper parenting.
bluecollar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2012, 04:34 AM   #16
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
I don't like rap but I really like Eminem. He truly is a gifted artist. He as far from politically correct as you can get but that's what makes him special. I guess it's kinda like how I can't stand Howard Stern but when I pass his station I always end up listening until I get where I'm going. He's kinda like Sasha Baron Cohen. The crude remarks, homophobia, and racial slurs are for the most part just an act. They act like that to sell more albums and movies. Us Americans really do eat all that up.
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2012, 05:51 AM   #17
freddyttt
"TRF" Member

Very gifted rapper.

oh-. old interview.
freddyttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2012, 06:18 AM   #18
joe100

I don't think homophobia, racial slurs, and violence against women is something, as an American, one should be proud of.

I don't care if anyone listens to that crap but I don't. If you throw his name up in praise you will get detractors. I am one of them.

Sent from my  using Tapatalk
Old 21 October 2012, 06:27 AM   #19
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Love Eminem, he's similar to Bill Gates more than you would think. Very frugal with his money and has many successful business ventures....bazzillions of sold albums and he owns a very successful radio station among others.
While not as charitable as Bill Gates, he does gift a lot of stuff to his friends, gifts that he would not buy for himself or wear.
He's a musical genius, whether you like hip hop or not, he has talent. Same as Marilyn Manson, Trent Reznor and the like. Music isn't to blame for what people do, people are.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2012, 05:43 PM   #20
Rollie Fingers
"TRF" Member

Watch: yatalkinboutwillis
will the real slim shady please stand up
Rollie Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2012, 01:19 AM   #21
Chopped54
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520, 116610lv,
I never understood the popularity of M. Damn near every one of his songs sound exactly like the last one....
Chopped54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2012, 06:16 AM   #22
varld
Banned

Watch: GMT Master II
lol omg,did that really just happen
varld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2023, 11:10 PM   #23
Matrix1776
"TRF" Member

A decade later…but Rock and Rock Hall of Fame Eminem is a genius. You all above just see him as this bitter sexist against gays. It was the 90’s, and he wanted to elicit controversy. It worked and put him on every cover of Rolling Stone.

Now worth $250,000,000 with his mentor a Billionaire. There’s probably few on this forum that can relate.
Matrix1776 is offline   Reply With Quote