The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 9 April 2020, 08:13 AM   #1
kareemthedream33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Need advice on vintage 1942 Patek

Hi guys, I would appreciate any help or guidance. The piece I am interested in is listed on the website for Patek Monger. I have never heard of this seller and am hoping some more knowledgeable people than me can chime in about the watch and the seller.

This would be a gift for a relative who is a serious collector born in 1942.

Here is the link and thank you in advance!

https://www.patekmonger.com/products...a8f26f46&_ss=r

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
kareemthedream33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 08:36 AM   #2
Jamesd20
"TRF" Member

Serious gift for a serious collector. I can’t comment on the price but it looks good, I wouldn’t say no!
Jamesd20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 09:44 AM   #3
kareemthedream33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesd20 View Post
Serious gift for a serious collector. I can’t comment on the price but it looks good, I wouldn’t say no!
Thank you. I'm ready to pull the trigger when I feel comfortable with the seller. Would love for someone with knowledge of the seller to chime in.

Old 9 April 2020, 02:17 PM   #4
watch-guy.com
Banned

Serious piece. Something like that should always beseen in real life. Condition is everything . The case needs to be assessed for over polishing and the dial needs to be original and not retouched or cleaned up - again - must be seen in real life before any decision can be made.

I do not know the dealer but would never drop that much money on a piece that I cannot see from a dealer I have never dealt with.

Regards

Julian
watch-guy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 08:40 PM   #5
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
That looks nice, AP have just re-imagined a similar chrono.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 10:07 PM   #6
kareemthedream33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watch-guy.com View Post
Serious piece. Something like that should always beseen in real life. Condition is everything . The case needs to be assessed for over polishing and the dial needs to be original and not retouched or cleaned up - again - must be seen in real life before any decision can be made.

I do not know the dealer but would never drop that much money on a piece that I cannot see from a dealer I have never dealt with.

Regards

Julian
Thanks for the advice. I agree, too much $ not to be sure. I'm trying to arrange for someone to go look at it for me but it's tough right now because I can't travel and go see it myself.

Old 10 April 2020, 12:37 AM   #7
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

i'd verify SN and recent service with Patek, and only after confirmation start making offers. Vintage Pateks are really the true ones worth having imho, they were truly hand made and in limited supply / limited production runs.

Normally I'd demand pics of the movement, especially with vintage pieces, yet if recent service is true am sure it may be best to leave her as she is now factory service sealed.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2020, 02:08 AM   #8
kareemthedream33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
i'd verify SN and recent service with Patek, and only after confirmation start making offers. Vintage Pateks are really the true ones worth having imho, they were truly hand made and in limited supply / limited production runs.

Normally I'd demand pics of the movement, especially with vintage pieces, yet if recent service is true am sure it may be best to leave her as she is now factory service sealed.
Great advice, thank you. How do i verify the SN and recent service?

Old 10 April 2020, 02:29 AM   #9
antelope
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Can I get on your gift list?
antelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2020, 02:45 AM   #10
francoamerican
"TRF" Member

They have great inventory based on the photos. I would feel more comfortable buying something like that from one of these top tier vintage dealers people who are really out there and visible and well known like Eric Wind, Matthew Bain, Eric Ku, Davide Parmegiani, John Reardon etc. Maybe one of them is willing vet Patek Monger for you?

I hadn't previously heard of John Nagayama, for example, but he's clearly in that community as johnbehalf on instagram and seems to have the best most amazing Patek 96 pass through his hands. (I really want a 96 but need to try it on first to see if i like the size)
francoamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2020, 02:48 AM   #11
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
If it was me and I wanted the piece,I would offer around 100 USD. I would be concerned about it behind 33 mm , for me I would pass for that reason. You would find this piece VERY difficult to resell imo . Just a few thoughts . :-))
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2020, 02:57 AM   #12
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kareemthedream33 View Post
Great advice, thank you. How do i verify the SN and recent service?
In the old days I'd call David in NYC, he was always immensely helpful. Nowadays, who the heck knows? Anyone???

Odds are someone connected with Patek is reading this board and should PM you the details. Great customer service should be a given at this price point, obviously.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2020, 05:10 AM   #13
kareemthedream33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by francoamerican View Post
They have great inventory based on the photos. I would feel more comfortable buying something like that from one of these top tier vintage dealers people who are really out there and visible and well known like Eric Wind, Matthew Bain, Eric Ku, Davide Parmegiani, John Reardon etc. Maybe one of them is willing vet Patek Monger for you?

I hadn't previously heard of John Nagayama, for example, but he's clearly in that community as johnbehalf on instagram and seems to have the best most amazing Patek 96 pass through his hands. (I really want a 96 but need to try it on first to see if i like the size)
Good idea, thank you.

Old 10 April 2020, 05:11 AM   #14
kareemthedream33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james272 View Post
If it was me and I wanted the piece,I would offer around 100 USD. I would be concerned about it behind 33 mm , for me I would pass for that reason. You would find this piece VERY difficult to resell imo . Just a few thoughts . :-))
The size isn't too important. It's something that will stay in the family for several generations, hopefully.

Old 10 April 2020, 05:11 AM   #15
kareemthedream33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
In the old days I'd call David in NYC, he was always immensely helpful. Nowadays, who the heck knows? Anyone???

Odds are someone connected with Patek is reading this board and should PM you the details. Great customer service should be a given at this price point, obviously.
That would be great. I considered calling some dealers I've worked with in the past to help me out but i don't buy many vintage pieces.....any of my connections would only know modern stuff.

Old 10 April 2020, 09:10 PM   #16
kareemthedream33
"TRF" Member

Just to post an update and FYI.

I contacted a dealer in LA that I frequently trust and work with and he's going to check out the watch for me. He is familiar with Patek Monger and said he was a Patek AD for many decades until recently and really knows his stuff.

So if anyone is checking out all the great stock on his site, that can put your mind at ease a bit. Hopefully I close this deal by next week and will post some pics for all of you.

I appreciate the help of everyone who chimed in. Have a great Friday.

Old 10 April 2020, 11:38 PM   #17
1665fan
"TRF" Member

looks very nice, I would try in person also. 33mm is very small
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 01:14 AM   #18
francoamerican
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kareemthedream33 View Post
Just to post an update and FYI.

I contacted a dealer in LA that I frequently trust and work with and he's going to check out the watch for me. He is familiar with Patek Monger and said he was a Patek AD for many decades until recently and really knows his stuff.

So if anyone is checking out all the great stock on his site, that can put your mind at ease a bit. Hopefully I close this deal by next week and will post some pics for all of you.

I appreciate the help of everyone who chimed in. Have a great Friday.

Awesome. It’s a stunning watch!
francoamerican is offline   Reply With Quote