The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 23 December 2008, 07:38 PM   #61
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by cody p View Post
just for the record: my original comment was the first sentence. the two later sentences are not mine and i don't know how it is that they have appeared in my post???
My mistake
Old 24 December 2008, 01:56 AM   #62
cody p
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 114200
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
My mistake
thanks for the quick correction!
cody p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2008, 03:04 AM   #63
swisscris
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superformance View Post
I think Omega suits "mature" individuals while TAG is a very good "starter" watch for the young ones. They will appreciate its look and prestige of a Swiss watch early on, eventually moving up the stairs later on....
Good One

During my Middle School years, TAG was the "It" watch of the rich kids...so later on...its wasnt surprising to see most of our batchmates were wearing TAG, now that we are all working professionals.

I own a couple of TAG's, but whew! they cost a fortune to maintain, and a hassle too...going all the way to their service center, its costly to maintain swiss quartz...mechanical watches wont cost as much? hopefully, with the proper TLC i Hope...

I moved up since then....Owning a couple of TUDORS, ORIS, TISSOTS...But TAG is a good starter watch...it made me more interested in SWISS watches eversince I owned some.

Karl
swisscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2008, 03:59 AM   #64
stusrt
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many
i do have a tag aquaracer - automatic, no chorno
people all the time (non-watch people) ask me if it's rolex.
I wear my aquaracer a lot, and love it, but still think my Omega's are far better.
stusrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2008, 05:05 AM   #65
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by stusrt View Post
i do have a tag aquaracer - automatic, no chorno
people all the time (non-watch people) ask me if it's rolex.
I wear my aquaracer a lot, and love it, but still think my Omega's are far better.
That's crazy...when I wear my Rolex, people are always asking me if it's a Tag. J/K
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2008, 05:41 AM   #66
Flash Gordon

Not that familiar with Tag other than their ads with celebrities endorsing the watch. But I do know Omega as it is an old, well established watch that people associate it with quality. When people move up from, say Movado, Raymond Weil, they usually buy Omega. My mother had a gold Omega that my father bought for her in the 40's. She wore it for the good part of her life. I remember it was a tiny watch which was popular in the old days. I should check the deposit box as I may still have it. I know my father's gold Longine with a small second hand is in the box. That reminds me to get a new strap and wear it!
Flash Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2008, 08:00 AM   #67
karwath
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570 white
Both are nice quality watches, and I own both, but more Omegas than Tags.

I think Tag is more of a fashion watch company than Omega, and by that I mean it has in its line more less expensive quartz watches with styles that are more fashion watches dictated by styles of the times, than automatic movement watches that have timeless designs and which one can expect to wear for a lifetime.

Exceptions to this generalization for both companies can be easily cited (the two tone Tag Aquaracer Chronograph my dad wears is stunning, and is of a timeless design, with an automatic movement, and there are a number of quartz Omegas that have been produced over the years that were products of the style of the time and are quite garish by modern tastes).

However, I think a good example of my generalization is the Tag F1 line of Chronographs compared to the Speedmaster Chronographs in the Omega line. The F1 line goes through changes every few years, and the Speedmaster has been essentially the same watch for decades.

Also, I find looking at an Omega under magnification shows the attention to detail and what great quality one gets for the money. Usually when doing the same for a Tag I find a tiny defect or two one would expect for a more mass produced lower priced watch.

For example, I have a Tag 1500 and under 10X magnification one can find some uneven lume application on a few of the hour indices. I still like the watch, especially given what I paid for it. It has been working fine for over 14 years, with just a new battery needed every now and then.

The most important thing is whether you like the watch. You can't go wrong buying either.
karwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2008, 08:32 AM   #68
CEG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116505
I'd say Omega - by a mile

CEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2008, 09:44 AM   #69
ohsixx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Make a guess!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEG View Post
I'd say Omega - by a mile

Me too! It is not even a close comparison.
"Speedy Pro"
ohsixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2008, 01:35 PM   #70
jas55
"TRF" Member

Wow, being a relatively new watch fan, I thought Tag and Omega were on par with each other, from the responses though, Omega is clearly a more desired watch!

Explorer 2-Polar
Omega Seamaster Quartz
jas55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2008, 01:36 PM   #71
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyS View Post
Omega would be higher on the list of quality of most knowledgeable watchmakers, would be my guess, I would bet on it...

and while Omega doesnt compare to JLC or Patek, for example, they are still a very high end, luxury manufacturer...

I think we tend to get a bit spoiled over in luxury world and forget just how expensive and wonderful these little toys really are...
??"Omega does not compare to JLC or Patek"?? Unless your speaking strictly in terms of price, I would respectfully disagree.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2008, 02:33 PM   #72
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by karwath View Post
Both are nice quality watches, and I own both, but more Omegas than Tags.

I think Tag is more of a fashion watch company than Omega, and by that I mean it has in its line more less expensive quartz watches with styles that are more fashion watches dictated by styles of the times, than automatic movement watches that have timeless designs and which one can expect to wear for a lifetime.

Exceptions to this generalization for both companies can be easily cited (the two tone Tag Aquaracer Chronograph my dad wears is stunning, and is of a timeless design, with an automatic movement, and there are a number of quartz Omegas that have been produced over the years that were products of the style of the time and are quite garish by modern tastes).

However, I think a good example of my generalization is the Tag F1 line of Chronographs compared to the Speedmaster Chronographs in the Omega line. The F1 line goes through changes every few years, and the Speedmaster has been essentially the same watch for decades.

Also, I find looking at an Omega under magnification shows the attention to detail and what great quality one gets for the money. Usually when doing the same for a Tag I find a tiny defect or two one would expect for a more mass produced lower priced watch.

For example, I have a Tag 1500 and under 10X magnification one can find some uneven lume application on a few of the hour indices. I still like the watch, especially given what I paid for it. It has been working fine for over 14 years, with just a new battery needed every now and then.

The most important thing is whether you like the watch. You can't go wrong buying either.

Good points!!

I tend to agree with your distinctions, particularly that TAG leans more towards being a "fashion" watch producer and Omega concentrates on being more of a mechanical manufacturer. JMHO
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2008, 06:57 PM   #73
ArizonaHD
"TRF" Member

Omega is superior in my opinion. They are better quality, better made, better design, better fit and finish. In my opinion Tag is more in competition with Tissot, even then the Tissot delivers the same if not better quality at a better price than Tag.
ArizonaHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2008, 07:09 PM   #74
ArizonaHD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGESQ View Post
??"Omega does not compare to JLC or Patek"?? Unless your speaking strictly in terms of price, I would respectfully disagree.

Boy this could get heated but here goes. Back in the day (40-60's) Omega was within the top 5 watch brands for quality. Patek, VC, Universal Geneve, Omega, Audemars. Rolex was considered an average movement (maybe a little above average depending on who you ask) in an incredibly durable case, Rolex was BUILT on the OYSTER. Rolex made gradual improvements and did not have the hard times (and setbacks) that Omega, UG and the majority of the Swiss watch makers had.

I am a huge Universal Geneve fan, and adore the Tri-Compax a watch that was peerless in its day and today can only be surpassed by a Patek which sells for more than a beach house.

Here is what I mean by "hard times":
Attached Images
File Type: jpg omega.jpg (26.7 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg omega 2.jpg (26.8 KB, 78 views)
ArizonaHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2008, 10:38 PM   #75
taffytoon
"TRF" Member

I have an Omega Seamaster, and I HAD a Tag series 2000 automatic. The Omega sits next to my Datejust on the watchwinder, the Tag is with a new owner...
taffytoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2008, 11:15 PM   #76
airhkg

Watch: Sub, SMP GMT Co-Ax
Omega..

End of story
airhkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2008, 12:28 AM   #77
peppermannen
"TRF" Member

Watch: me now!
That Omega Speedmaster quartz is priceless! How the hell did it pass the Omega quality/design check? They must be very proud.
peppermannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2008, 03:48 PM   #78
jm433
"TRF" Member

Omega has the edge on quality. I agree with those that state that the Tag is positioning itself as more of a fashion brand, particularly cashing in on inexpensive quartz models, celebrity endorsements and its motor racing associations. That said, Tag does have a rich heritage through its original Heuer brand which has always made fantastic sports themed chronographs. The 70s era autavias are particularly collectible. When purchased by TAG, the brand positioned itself as more of a fashion brand. I do love their line of vintage styled pieces, like the carrera that I have.

Omega has a richer heritage and higher aspirations than TAG in terms of attempting to be a serious watchmaker that is commited to elevating the art and science of watchmaking -- witness the new inhouse co-axil movement. If I were choosing similarly styled watches at similar price points from both TAG and Omega, I'd definitely go for the Omega.
jm433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2008, 04:27 PM   #79
cody p
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 114200
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm433 View Post
Omega has the edge on quality. I agree with those that state that the Tag is positioning itself as more of a fashion brand, particularly cashing in on inexpensive quartz models, celebrity endorsements and its motor racing associations. That said, Tag does have a rich heritage through its original Heuer brand which has always made fantastic sports themed chronographs. The 70s era autavias are particularly collectible. When purchased by TAG, the brand positioned itself as more of a fashion brand. I do love their line of vintage styled pieces, like the carrera that I have.

Omega has a richer heritage and higher aspirations than TAG in terms of attempting to be a serious watchmaker that is commited to elevating the art and science of watchmaking -- witness the new inhouse co-axil movement. If I were choosing similarly styled watches at similar price points from both TAG and Omega, I'd definitely go for the Omega.
well said!
cody p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2008, 05:25 PM   #80
Paul B
"TRF" Member

Watch: Don't go there...
Quote:
Originally Posted by stusrt View Post
I think Tag's are the entry level watch into the high-end models. They are nice enough, but I don't know anyone that doesn't move up from a Tag.
IMHO pretty much sums it up, trendyish mall chain jewelery store, or department store, higher end watch.

Paul
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote