The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 11 April 2013, 10:49 AM   #31
mkw
"TRF" Member

Watch: RB GMT II 3186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuts33 View Post

It reminds me of an Oris.
This .
mkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2013, 11:03 AM   #32
KeepTicking
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ2, BLNR, PO, Nav
Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
I'm not here to argue, I'm glad that Omega is releasing a GMT in the Seamaster series, but orange GMT hand like Rolex? Orange text dial like the Explorer?

Regardless, it is attractive watch, if one like the design more or less than the Explorer II is completely subjective (like I personally find the hands on the Rolex too thick and chubby).

I hope it won't be too thick and/or sit too high on the wrist.

Still, this watch would have looked much cleaner without the HEV valve.
To anyone calling the an explorer II clone, are you forgetting that the original PO is accented with an orange second hand tip, and the standard 8500 has the orange second hand tip as well as orange for the word "Omega" on the dial? Orange has always been the contrasting color since the introduction of the PO, that's not even to mention that the PO is offered with and orange bezel and orange strap... Using orange for the GMT hand and the GMT bezel is a pretty natural selection considering the history of the PO design.

Anyone who calls this a copy of the explorer II is really chugging the rolex koolaid
KeepTicking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2013, 11:22 AM   #33
balboa73
Banned

did I just read someone correlate ORIS and Omega

balboa73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2013, 11:22 AM   #34
applebook
"TRF" Member

Clone or not, but I still don't like the new Explorer II, while this and the new Sub immediately captured my desire. I didn't even like the old sapphire Subs.
Old 11 April 2013, 12:56 PM   #35
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by balboa73 View Post
I'm pretty sure Omegas not attempting to copy Rolex. Take Rolex of the pedestal and you might actually realize that Omega currently offers a superior product in the sport watch category

Damn well stated.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2013, 01:18 PM   #36
psv
"TRF" Member

It is lovely to see that Omega has hardcore fans, but that doesn't mean one have to get snippy about other people's opinion. Rolex did not only invent the GMT complication, the Explorer II introduced the orange GMT hand, which Rolex brought back in the 216570 model 2 years ago. Hence, I'm not saying that it is a better watch, I'm not stating that it is better looking. Sure, Omega has had orange tipped hands on models, they even had a fully orange minute hand on the Ploprof introduced in 1970, but that still doesn't change the fact that Rolex introduced the orange GMT hand and that it offers it in its current lineup of watches. A fair point to make, I think,

And let's not open that Omega is superior to Rolex or vice versa can of worms again...
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2013, 01:50 PM   #37
beaglehusky
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMT Master View Post
If they do a non blue and orange version, I'll be interested. That colour scheme is...challenging
Yes please!!! I'd have to see it in person but from the pics above it's a no-go for me.
beaglehusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2013, 02:03 PM   #38
Cuts33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by balboa73 View Post
did I just read someone correlate ORIS and Omega

Not exactly the right use of the word "correlate" but nevertheless, I was not comparing the brands nor did I ever say that Oris is on par in any way shape or form with Omega.

Having a PO8500 myself, I am certainly a fan of Omega in general and specifically the PO.

My exact words were - it reminds me of an Oris.

And because of the color scheme, it does.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gbr1.jpg (21.2 KB, 405 views)
Cuts33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2013, 02:11 PM   #39
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Not digging the orange/blue scheme one bit....which is fine, I'm overbought on GMT-style watches anyway at the moment!
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2013, 02:15 PM   #40
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
I dont like it. its like defiling a proper dive watch.

if they want a gmt then they should make a new watch
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2013, 03:55 PM   #41
asadtiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tissot PRX
one thing I have noticed people misunderstanding is that the bezel is 'uni-directional' just as it should be on a dive watch, but ofcourse is still useable as a GMT bezel due to markings, so it is a proper dive watch with added functionality of GMT timing that is very easy to use and does not take away from its core function, but only adds to it..you can guess I totally love it
asadtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2013, 04:06 PM   #42
wisguy
"TRF" Member

Nah, sorry...

Owned a PO in the past, what's wrong with black dials and bezels? Why go the hideous way? Seems like to me Omega is desperate for attention with these color schemes.
Old 11 April 2013, 05:48 PM   #43
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

i don't understand why omega fans get so defensive and lash out, talking about rolex "kool aid" and such. to me, opining that the 24-hour hand is a rolex clone, criticizing an HEV valve on a GMT or stating that the 8500 movement plus clear back is too thick are critiques of the watch, and not omega as a brand. maybe i missed it, but, no where in the critiques of the watch are people putting down omega. if anything, there's more omega "kool aid" being drunk in this thread.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2013, 08:42 PM   #44
asadtiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tissot PRX
I do totally agree that criticism is healthy but just that the GMT hand on my SMP GMT 50th Anni (which happens to be the first SMP GMT) is exactly like this one on the new PO GMT and is red, and with orande being the new PO's color ever since, probably this whole hand connection is not so right IMHO...but everyone is free to have an opinion :)
asadtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2013, 09:21 PM   #45
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asadtiger View Post
I do totally agree that criticism is healthy but just that the GMT hand on my SMP GMT 50th Anni (which happens to be the first SMP GMT) is exactly like this one on the new PO GMT and is red, and with orande being the new PO's color ever since, probably this whole hand connection is not so right IMHO...but everyone is free to have an opinion :)

very fair point. orange has been a PO motif. didn't think of that, even though i was first attracted to the PO by the 2500 PO with orange bezel on mesh bracelet.

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2013, 09:43 PM   #46
SearChart
TechXpert

Gorgeous watch, but out of my budget and anything above 42mm is too large for my 6.25'' wrists.
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2013, 09:47 PM   #47
balboa73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
i don't understand why omega fans get so defensive and lash out, talking about rolex "kool aid" and such. to me, opining that the 24-hour hand is a rolex clone, criticizing an HEV valve on a GMT or stating that the 8500 movement plus clear back is too thick are critiques of the watch, and not omega as a brand. maybe i missed it, but, no where in the critiques of the watch are people putting down omega. if anything, there's more omega "kool aid" being drunk in this thread.
Maybe not put down but theres always the insinuation that Omega 'copied' Rolex or some other brand

I call it as I see it.

I own a few Rolex and a few Omega.
Old 11 April 2013, 10:29 PM   #48
psv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Amen.
Old 11 April 2013, 10:46 PM   #49
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
I agree with you. If someone wanted to critique the brand they might point out that this watch appears to have been designed by the same "talented" group responsible for the Omega Milgauss (I mean AT 15K Gauss).

Nobody can deny that Omega is doing some amazing technical work, but their design team isn't holding up their end of the deal on some of these watches. The orange GMT hand begs comparison with the Explorer 2, as does the horrible striped second hand on their anti-magnetic watch with the Milgauss (I'm not sure which is worse to tell you the truth).

Before anyone starts talking about "kool aid", my current favorite watch is an Omega Speedmaster Pro which was chosen over any version of the SS Daytona.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2013, 10:52 PM   #50
balboa73
Banned

wow
Old 11 April 2013, 11:33 PM   #51
jmsrolls
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
I really want to like Omega, but a HEV on a GMT watch? That is just silly! And the orange GMT hands smells too much like Rolex.

43.5mm is doable, but I wonder how thick it is.

The 8500 PO is already too thick for me so adding a GMT module with notch it up another 1-2mm in thickness.

Thank you Omega for a PO GMT but I'll be keeping my cal 2500 PO LM LE and 216570 EXPII.
jmsrolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2013, 12:26 AM   #52
KeepTicking
"TRF" Member

I'm not a rolex or omega fanboy, I just can't believe people are so quick to say omega copied the explorer ii bc of the GMT hand color. Orange has always been the contrasting color for the PO, what other color would you expect them to use for a contrasting GMT hand given the current color scheme of the watch???

Now for the Omega milgaus... That thing is a direct ripoff of the rolex design with that ugly second hand
Old 12 April 2013, 12:31 AM   #53
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmendick1 View Post
Now for the Omega milgaus... That thing is a direct ripoff of the rolex design with that ugly second hand
It's the same idea but it's very far from being a rip-off.
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2013, 01:02 AM   #54
Survivor
Banned

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMT Master View Post
If they do a non blue and orange version, I'll be interested. That colour scheme is...challenging
Challenging, to say the least.......its down right awful!!!!!

The watch in the same color scheme as the regular POs (black with silver markings or black with orange markings) would be great. Very limited appeal the way they are previewing it........
Survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2013, 01:21 AM   #55
psv
"TRF" Member

Well, one thing is for certain, since it is Omega there will be other colors and variants of this watch coming.
Old 12 April 2013, 01:38 AM   #56
mikkemus23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/PAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmendick1 View Post
To anyone calling the an explorer II clone, are you forgetting that the original PO is accented with an orange second hand tip, and the standard 8500 has the orange second hand tip as well as orange for the word "Omega" on the dial? Orange has always been the contrasting color since the introduction of the PO, that's not even to mention that the PO is offered with and orange bezel and orange strap... Using orange for the GMT hand and the GMT bezel is a pretty natural selection considering the history of the PO design.

Anyone who calls this a copy of the explorer II is really chugging the rolex koolaid
This.

I really like it.
mikkemus23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2013, 02:14 AM   #57
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
We need the rotating ceramic bezel (white numerals) on the AT 150 GMT. I would buy it in a heartbeat. A red or orange GMT hand beats the heck out of the green hand on my II-C.

DD OysterQuartz
Breitling Aero
Omega Speedmaster Pro
GTS Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2013, 03:02 AM   #58
MilgaussMan1

hehe, new york knicks! anyone like basketball?
MilgaussMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2013, 03:20 AM   #59
KeepTicking
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilgaussMan1 View Post
hehe, new york knicks! anyone like basketball?
Old 12 April 2013, 07:23 AM   #60
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
I thought about it. The colors are a horrible choice and this watch will likely be on the big and thick side of things for me.
Does the co-axial really make the watches this thick or is this just a nod to the big watch craze.
My Deepsea is thick but due to engineering characteristics, it's the only watch above 42mm I'll ever own. Many other companies have proven you can make small and thin GMT functions, so it boils down to the co-axial or trend following, any ideas.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote