The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 31 December 2013, 05:40 AM   #1
brigadeer
"TRF" Member

How comparable is an Omega Seamaster 300m to a Rolex Submariner?

I have been lurking around these forums for a few years now with my heart set on a used Rolex Submariner. I'm budgeting around $4,500, so I imagine that would get me a watch around 10 years old or so.

I recently came across the Omega Seamaster 300M, and I really like the looks of it (very similar to a Submariner IMHO). I'm curious how others feel in regards to the comparisons between the two.

I still like the Submariner, but I also really like the comparable looks of the Omega Seamaster 300m, and the price would allow me to buy brand new.

Curious what everyone's thoughts are here, which will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
brigadeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2014, 12:33 AM   #2
sncarney18
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and Omega
As a Rolex and Omega fan I will give you my thoughts. The Rolex Submariner is the legendary dive watch. It is the most copied watch in the world so most divers will have some similarities. The Seamaster 300M is a great watch; however, it still has a modified generic movement vs. an in house movement like the Sub. The Speedmaster line is what drove me to Omega in the first place, not the Seamaster. I have a feeling many will agree with me that Omega is seen as a chrono watch maker first and foremost.

You have stated that you wanted a Submariner for the past 10 years. IMHO I do not think the Seamaster 300m will cure a Rolex itch if that is what you long for. The Seamaster 300m will suffice if your goal is a good Swiss Made diver that doesn't break the bank. You will only end up selling the 300m at a loss if you buy new to eventually fund a Submariner down the road. Again just my opinion.
sncarney18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2014, 02:26 AM   #3
ocabj
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
The Omega 300M is in my opinion a great bang for the buck dive watch. I have the 2220.80.00 which is the last blue wave dial. The quality is solid and it's a nice fitting watch. But if you really want the Sub, then get the Sub.

I'm going to get a No-Date Sub in the future (most likely a 5513), but I'm not going to sell my 300M. It's a fine watch.
ocabj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2014, 02:41 AM   #4
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
theres an interesting comparison on the web , if you do a search , ive owned both , but because of the size , i wound up wearing a mid size seamaster for a couple of years as a working watch ,,,,
in hindsight i would have bought the explorer over the seamaster , just on the size issue ,, but , to be honest as nice as omegas are , and im wearing one at the moment as my daily wear ... they just arent rolexes.
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2014, 03:01 AM   #5
salty_snack

A vintage SM300 is one of my favorite watches omega has produced. The new ones are ok although the escape valve is completely useless to most everyone and omega seems to continuously have problems with the end links not fitting snugly in between the lugs.

If you would buy one don't buy it new because if you ever sell it you'll take it hard on depreciation.

None the less if this is your only nice watch then it absolutely should be a sub. Don't settle.
salty_snack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2014, 03:50 AM   #6
CDNWatchNut
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I've owned many Omegas, and still have several including an SMP 300, but IMO, while the SMP is a fine watch, if it's the sub that you've had your heart set on, then don't get distracted and compromise with the Seamaster. Chances are, you'll end up still wanting a sub anyway, and if you flip an SMP that you bought new, you'll take a big hit.
You can't go wrong with a used sub, when bought right.
CDNWatchNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2014, 03:50 AM   #7
pdoukas
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Duke bball
Go vintage. Here's my 1967 SM300. There is also a non-date version that is identical to this without the date of course. Lastly, if you want something "functional" with the vintage look then you could go for an SM300 Watchco version. If you do go that route get the non-date version as the lume on the hands and lume on the dial are different and appear so VS. that of the lume on the non-date dial and hands. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my mobile device. Please excuse spelling, punctuation, and brevity.
pdoukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2014, 04:09 AM   #8
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
It seems you're leaning towards the Sub. Get that, it will definitely be pleasing.
The Omega Seamaster 300 2220.80 is an amazing and equally classic, beautiful and reliable watch. I am looking for one now and when I find a decent condition one I'm going to snatch it up.
The Sub is one watch the Seamaster is another and I love them both, but if the choice is a pre ceramic Sub, then I'd choose the Omega, either the wave dial or the newer ceramic. If it's an LV or a ceramic Submariner then I'd choose the Subs.
Good luck.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2014, 04:49 AM   #9
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I would get the sub, I would also save up a bit more and get a ceramic sub, the upgrades in quality are def worth it.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2014, 04:55 AM   #10
And
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster
Omega's classic SM300 or the Seamaster professional 2254.50 with black wave dial and sword hands both give nothing away to the Sub. However I would choose a Sub over the newer SMP's with skeleton hands.
And is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2014, 02:58 PM   #11
brigadeer
"TRF" Member

My issue is cost. I have the money to buy a Sub, but I have never spent over $150 thus far. Seems almost too big a leap to go to a $9,000 watch (although I would buy used for considerably less).

I could get a new Omega Seamaster 300 M for less than $4K. As I noted earlier, it has the sporty look of the Sub that I love, but a much more comfortable point of entry (pricing).

I guess my thought is that I dip my toes into my first expensive quality watch slowly, then if it's everything I think it will be, upgrade to the Sub at a later point.

All that said, I would still be settling as the Sub is truly my hearts desire.....

Appreciate everyone's continued thoughts and advice!
brigadeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2014, 03:39 PM   #12
salty_snack

After 10 great years with your sub you won't even care what you paid for it... and after 20+ years you won't even remember.

It's your life so spend it wearing what you want. If that's a sub then don't waste your time and money with a seamaster.
salty_snack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2014, 04:14 PM   #13
pdoukas
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Duke bball
When it comes to luxury items there are 2 trains of thought. First, always go with your heart. Otherwise, you'll always wish you had what-you really wanted but settled for less. Second is buy the version of what you want at a price point that you are ok with. In this case it sounds like you really want a sub, but are concerned with price. So why not consider a more vintage approach to the sub? Entry points are more acceptable and you'll have a sub. Plus, if you decide you want to flip it, then historically, you'll either break even or make a little something if you keep it a while.
pdoukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2014, 07:11 PM   #14
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
I own both, but the Sub will always be what I keep. The Omega is a fine watch, but the cache is the 911 of watches the Sub. When I first wanted a Sub I went the other side of the family a Tudor Sub (not a Omega), but at the end of the day it was not a Rolex Sub. I think this is actually an easy call, the Rolex Sub will hold its value better than any other watch around. So in simple terms you will always get your money back if not gain, an Omega will go down in price if bought new. Maybe the compromise is a nice second hand Omega which will cost you 1/2 the amount (given you have never spent that much, you might even be able to add an old Datejust to go with the Omega for SUB money. Remember the key with watches you can always have them serviced and lightly polished effectively making them look like new, so buying a second hand Sub is not like buying a 10 year old car.

By the SUB and you will never look back.
zama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2014, 12:05 AM   #15
KellyM3
Banned

As someone who learned by experience don't compromise get what you truly want
KellyM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2014, 12:46 AM   #16
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
It's a great watch, but if you want a Submariner you should just wait until you're able to get one.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2014, 01:33 AM   #17
SUPERDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigadeer View Post
My issue is cost. I have the money to buy a Sub, but I have never spent over $150 thus far. Seems almost too big a leap to go to a $9,000 watch (although I would buy used for considerably less).

I could get a new Omega Seamaster 300 M for less than $4K. As I noted earlier, it has the sporty look of the Sub that I love, but a much more comfortable point of entry (pricing).

I guess my thought is that I dip my toes into my first expensive quality watch slowly, then if it's everything I think it will be, upgrade to the Sub at a later point.

All that said, I would still be settling as the Sub is truly my hearts desire.....

I love Omega Dearly...But Even I would advise that you get the Submariner...
You will regret it...and the Difference in price will ot make any difference 1 week after you've purchased it.

Furthermore, spending money on the SMP would put you further away from your goal...When it comes to something like this, you really can't inflect too much rational thought, because it is an emotional object...

You have to follow your heart...

Think about that price difference...then amortize that over the next 10-20-40 yrs of ownership....not as big of a deal..

If financially you can not afford the Submariner, the SMP will not fill that void...just save up.

If you truly loved the SMP... and were torn between the two, I would have no hesitation recommending the Seamaster - its a fab watch...but if you're asking if it would be an ok substitute for your sub..the answer is no...
SUPERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2014, 02:07 AM   #18
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Sounds like you want a Sub, and you're comfortable spending about 4k.

So, why not go buy a 16610 for 4.5k or so? The SMP is a great watch, but you gotta go with the watch that's at the back of your mind.
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2014, 02:37 AM   #19
bde
"TRF" Member

Watch: -aholics anonymous
I own both, and they're both great watches. Go for the Sub if that's what you want.
bde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2014, 02:54 AM   #20
278horn
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610lv
I am relatively new to high end watches. Like you I am partial to dive watches. My first watch was a 16610, the second a 16610lv. Recently the Omega SMP has been calling me. I ended up getting a 2220.80. I have not taken it off my wrist since. I love this watch!

In comparing the Sub to the SMP, I like everything better on the SMP except the Sub bracelet (link adjustment), cyclops (easier to see), and coin edge bezel. Fit, finish and quality are very comparable between the two. I do feel that the Sub would have the SMP beat in long term durability.

If you had both, I'm not so sure you wouldn't choose the SMP as a daily wearer. That being said if i had to have only one watch, I think I would keep the 16610lv.

I hope you figure out which is best for you. Either will be a good purchase. Good luck!
278horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2014, 04:13 AM   #21
Survivor
Banned

Watch: DSSD
Try the Planet Ocean as well........either the current 8500 caliber or the recently retired 2500 caliber. Certainly a better watch in every way when compared to the SMP 300 however, if you got the Rolex itch, scratch it!!!!!
Survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2014, 08:49 AM   #22
balboa73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Survivor View Post
Try the Planet Ocean as well........either the current 8500 caliber or the recently retired 2500 caliber. Certainly a better watch in every way when compared to the SMP 300 however, if you got the Rolex itch, scratch it!!!!!
All current seamaster 300 ceramics come with the 3 level co-axial 2500D
balboa73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2014, 10:45 AM   #23
bigwatchman
"TRF" Member

I lusted for a Rolex for 12 years. Bought a DJ then sold it for a Sub ND. Loved it......... for a short time. Grew that it was very plain and small and I don't have big wrists. I had a SMP 300 that was also sold to fund the Sub. Worst mistake I made was parting with that watch (SMP). I now wear a Planet Ocean Chrono an could not be happier. Doesn't have the Rolex stigma that most non-WIS people can view. IMHO, quality is on par with Rolex. It is less costly to service if parts are needed. Even my SMP 300 I felt that the bracelet and overall build of the watch was equal or better than Rolex.

In the end, if you want a Rolex, you at least have to buy to see how you like it. Turns out I did not and have never looked back with remorse, going on a year now almost. If you want a fine timepiece for a fraction of what a Sub will cost, definitely get the SMP300. Only you can know for sure what you will like.
Luminox Field Watch Day-Date
Casio G-Shock Analog/Chrono
bigwatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2014, 09:10 PM   #24
RolexDivers
Banned

Both will perform perfectly fine underwater.
Both will outlive a human lifespan.
One is the watch that has created mass hysteria and makes the world
bend over ... the other is the OMEGA.

If getting most of your $$ back one day is important to you and if you want
the prestige, go for the SUB.
RolexDivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2014, 03:32 AM   #25
steveclocks
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex/JLC/panerai
buy the rolex submariner, it's a beautiful timeless timepiece. You just can't go wrong with it
steveclocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2014, 01:28 PM   #26
s14roller
"TRF" Member

Had the Omega SMP which was a great watch. Ended up selling it but kept my Sub.

Save a little more and I'm guessing for $5.5k, you can get a pretty nice Sub that's less than 10 years old.

Buying once saves money vs needing to buy twice
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2014, 02:47 PM   #27
Tintmasterjon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyM3 View Post
X2. My omega purchase did not appease my rolex craving. Ended up getting the rolex anyway,still ,no regrets. I have both now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (28.1 KB, 1903 views)
Tintmasterjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2014, 08:44 AM   #28
TitanCi
"TRF" Member

I love Omegas. Very fond of them. I've owned 5 thus far, but kept 3. My current rotation is 9300 POC and 9300 Speedy.

As much as I love Omega, I really don't like the SMP, and I would go Sub over that. It never appealed to me and I despise the bracelet. It mimics the Sub, but if the sub is truly what you want... save up for it.

The SMP is a great bang for your buck piece though.
TitanCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2014, 09:40 AM   #29
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigadeer View Post

I have an older SMP (2254.50) and a new Sub C (114060). The SMP is a stellar watch. It is very comfortable, solidly built, has great lume, AR coating, etc... It has a lot of good things going for it. The Sub is... well... a Sub. It's an amazing watch. Is it worth the price? I think so!

Both are very nice and you cannot go wrong with either. If your heart is set on the Sub, buy it and don't look back. Sure, it's 5k more, but that means nothing when you think of it as a lifetime of joy.

Good luck.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2014, 09:54 AM   #30
Steelgold
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyM3 View Post
X2
Steelgold is offline   Reply With Quote