The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 3 November 2014, 05:04 AM   #61
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
I hear you. I think the LV-C is a truly special watch and I would really want to get it, but only after owning the two classic black ones. This is something I wanted almost all my 'wis life' but the 5 digit models were not (IMHO) good enough for me to drop the cash asked for them and Omega took the lead - always had some sort of lead somehow in my mind and I owned two 2531.80, one 2254.50, 2255.80. the classic 3570.50, then two POs 2200.50 black and 2208.80 orange . I had the feeling 'I made it' and 'I'm sitting on top of the world'...But then Rolex decided to upgrade the Sub and also decided that people with small wrists were part of society that deserved to have their watches adjusted perfectly on their chicken wrists and everything changed for me. One by one all my dear Omegas were sold and I just kept my vintage special ones and finally I had both classic black Subs. Now I could own a special version and the LV-C is leading the race. I'm not a huge fan of precious metal watches not only for the price but also the weight and the concept of strapping a chunk of gold to my wrist. Every year I spend a 'used Smurf' on trips (I try to have 2-3 every year) and I've been doing that since 1995 so I could buy a gold Sub if I really wanted just by cutting 2 or 3 trips but then I would have to beg my wife for sex and this would be uncool.. Anyway, I also feel that someday it has to stop. I mean, I can't get watches till the end of my days. I admire our huge collectors here on TRF but their reality are way different from mine and I feel I have to stop. As for your doubt between the Sub and this new Seamaster I can see your exitement with this new model, but unfortunately I don't share the same feelings. I would not even have a split second of doubt in my mind and in your shoes I would have the pair ND-C and LV-C in a heartbeat. But you love this new reference and this will be a tought decision process for you in the near future and I wish you good luck on that my friend.
This is great insight. I feel the same as you. I have had an obsession from apparently no where with a PP 5711 and started contemplating how I could get it. I then thought of the things I would have to give up, somewhere on that list reality set in when I realised I could get a Ducati Pannigale 1199S brand new for less than the watch....so I understand completely your sentiments, as well as your shared anxiety over the looming cloud of celibacy that would also accompany such a purchase. So like you, I've decided to cut my losses and accept that I'm not a "collector" but more just a guy from the block that is fortunate enough to own more than one of these high priced watches that my friends can't believe I own.

I'm not completely in love with this new Seamaster but I'm highly intrigued. My decision is resting at 60/40 in favour of the Omega but one thing is certain. I know the Rolex, I know it would make me happy, I know it is comfortable, I have dozens of photographs of it, where this new watch is new, there's a lot of uncertainty as to it's comfort and how the watch interacts with me. When I look at my LVc I always think, damn....what a dial, my Deepsea was the same. I'm not a flipper so I'm looking for the magic three, and then like you, just stop....and enjoy what I have.

There's a few members here like that that I admire, same watches since I've joined, very content and happy. Don't know if they took this journey we're on but they've arrived. I want to be the same. I can't wait to celebrate a 20 year anniversary with my watch, but that won't happen if I keep flipping.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2014, 06:07 AM   #62
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
so I understand completely your sentiments, as well as your shared anxiety over the looming cloud of celibacy that would also accompany such a purchase.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2014, 10:15 AM   #63
salty_snack

Saw this and the trésor at the natick mall this weekend. The trésor was stunning the strap was a little cheap and it did t have a clasp but those are minor and easly to fix. IMO it was worth the $13k. The new seamaster was a HUGE let down. It looks good in pictures but the braclet let a lot to be desired (better brackets can be found on a Sinn or Damasko) the bezel was oddly narrow with that inner steel ring and stood too tall for my liking. The dial, forgive my French, looked cheap and plastic-like.

This watch, IMO, is nowhere near a subc in looks or build quality and I really wanted it to be. Sure it has a moderately interesting movement but I don't walk around all day thinking about the movement in my watch and unless its a skeleton, I don't take my watch off during the day to admire the movement (although, it was nicely finished for a massed produced movement).

Essentially, I couldn't see spending the ~$6k they wanted for this watch. My girlfriend, who doesn't even care that I regualrly wear rolex, JLC, GO, and AP though that was one of the most ugly watches she has seen me try on and 99% of the time she is completely indifferent to watches in general.
salty_snack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2014, 01:45 PM   #64
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
OMG -- Omega 300 Master Co-Axel

I agree about the OEM bracelet not looking very good to me. On another forum, a friend went to the local Boutique and they put the black dial / SS version onto a mesh bracelet and it looked awesome! They also put it on a black NATO and again, it looked stunning. The third option was a light brown leather NATO and I didn't care for the so much. If anyone wants to see the pics, PM and I'll point you to the thread.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2014, 08:16 PM   #65
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by salty_snack View Post
Saw this and the trésor at the natick mall this weekend. The trésor was stunning the strap was a little cheap and it did t have a clasp but those are minor and easly to fix. IMO it was worth the $13k. The new seamaster was a HUGE let down. It looks good in pictures but the braclet let a lot to be desired (better brackets can be found on a Sinn or Damasko) the bezel was oddly narrow with that inner steel ring and stood too tall for my liking. The dial, forgive my French, looked cheap and plastic-like.

This watch, IMO, is nowhere near a subc in looks or build quality and I really wanted it to be. Sure it has a moderately interesting movement but I don't walk around all day thinking about the movement in my watch and unless its a skeleton, I don't take my watch off during the day to admire the movement (although, it was nicely finished for a massed produced movement).

Essentially, I couldn't see spending the ~$6k they wanted for this watch. My girlfriend, who doesn't even care that I regualrly wear rolex, JLC, GO, and AP though that was one of the most ugly watches she has seen me try on and 99% of the time she is completely indifferent to watches in general.
Yeap, opinions....some are going to be good and some not so good, so it's safe to say you won't be buying this ugly duckling. Different taste for different people. For example, I find JLC makes some of the ugliest watches around and would have a hard time wearing one even if given as a present, the Reverso is quite nice though. It just depends where a particular taste lies. The same decades old Rolex fans abhor the new ceramics even though to people like my wife they look the same. Good thing we have choices.

Most of the characteristics of this watch are based on the original, so if you don't like this, you won't like the original either. Omega wanted to do a reissue and most collectors agree they essentially did a really good job barring the modern type touches like the new seconds hand and pcl's because it's less "toolish".
It is good to hear all opinions as it may help someone identify something before hand they may not like instead of buying it and becoming aware of it later.

In any case, I'm on the other side of your opinion coin.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2014, 10:49 PM   #66
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
From what I see in pictures, I want one asap.

I'll reserve judgment until I actually see one in the steel, but it seems to me that they nailed it with this. A nice blend of vintage and modern that captures bith sport and casual.

I think the term "tool watch", is totalky ridiculous unless referring to using it as a tool to tell the time. So in that regard, it means little to me that there are some shiny bits.

I very much want to like this watch. As a brand, I far prefer to wear Onega over Rolex.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2014, 11:18 PM   #67
Cesium133
"TRF" Member

Stopped by the AD yesterday and they said they already sold 2 SS versions.
Cesium133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2014, 01:50 AM   #68
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesium133 View Post
Stopped by the AD yesterday and they said they already sold 2 SS versions.
Seems like the consensus, I went to another AD in town here and they have not even seen one yet but said they have a half dozen people that want phone calls. Like I said the Omega Boutique in town said they sold 2 in seconds.
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2014, 06:50 AM   #69
maxtor71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Apollo Soyuz
I had a quick play with the steel (right) and titanium (left) Seamaster 300s today.

Between the two, I think I will go with the steel when the time comes. For me it's closer to the original and I like the heft of the steel watch. I also like the fact that it's not as thick as the Planet Ocean watches. The dial on the steel really works for me, I took it out of the boutique and it looked much better. Quibble with both watches - not liking the new style of bracelet, I far prefer the one on the Planet Ocean but reckon it may look out of place on the 300. The titanium IMHO is overkill/expensive and doesn't quite feel it's price. The blue bezel dial didn't grab me by the unmentionables and while I have the 45th anniversary Speedy which is titanium and with a NATO, the 300 felt lighter on my wrist.

On both watches, I thought the sapphire case back was pointless. The movement is far too small and the rotor, as always, obscures most of the movement and it just seemed weird to have such a small movement/small window. It almost cheapened the watch to me.

I had first dibs on both of these but there are loads of people interested. I reckon it will do well.

Max

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
maxtor71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2014, 07:08 AM   #70
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtor71 View Post
I had a quick play with the steel and titanium Seamaster 300s today.

Between the two, I think I will go with the steel when the time comes. For me it's closer to the original and I like the heft of the steel watch. I also like the fact that it's not as thick as the Planet Ocean watches. The dial on the steel really works for me, I took it out of the boutique and it looked much better. Quibble with both watches - not liking the new style of bracelet, I far prefer the one on the Planet Ocean but reckon it may look out of place on the 300. The titanium IMHO is overkill/expensive and doesn't quite feel it's price. The blue bezel dial didn't grab me by the unmentionables and while I have the 45th anniversary Speedy which is titanium and with a NATO, the 300 felt lighter on my wrist.

On both watches, I thought the sapphire case back was pointless. The movement is far too small and the rotor, as always, obscures most of the movement and it just seemed weird to have such a small movement/small window. It almost cheapened the watch to me.

I had first dibs on both of these but there are loads of people interested. I reckon it will do well.

Max

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stopping by a boutique tonight. if they have it, the SS version will most definitely be going home with me.

Old 5 November 2014, 08:19 AM   #71
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Duh, yeah, I do. At least regarding their steel. Rolex is always pushing the envelope, not in trends like the oversized trend, but in durability, precision, and so forth.

Mr. Biver, the watch expert who is interviewed on Hodenkee, said the one thing he desired in his life was to tour the super-secret Rolex factory, because of the quality of the product. This was said in another interview by one of the watch experts.

Rolex is bashed because it is synonymous with luxury but the fact remains that their watches are of the highest quality. Even the subject Omega resembles a vintage Sub, which should tell you something of their influence.

But Omega is beginning to follow in Rolex footsteps with in-house movements, etc. This is fantastic. But they need to avoid making too many models and following trends, or they will remain a lower tier luxury watch. Just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDOC View Post
Really? grade of Steel? really?

antimagnetic movement with display back?
liquid metal bezel?
frictionless balance spring with greater accuracy/longer power reserve and longer service interval?....meaningless?....steel is the marker of luxury?

As far as I know, Patek, Vacheron, Audemars all use 316 Steel in their SS models....

I'm guessing you place Rolex ahead of these houses now?
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2014, 03:07 PM   #72
Cesium133
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
stopping by a boutique tonight. if they have it, the SS version will most definitely be going home with me.
So did you get lucky?
Cesium133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2014, 11:03 PM   #73
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesium133 View Post
So did you get lucky?
They had it.

And while I loved it, I didn't love it on me.

It's one heck of a nice watch though. That's for certain.

Old 5 November 2014, 11:41 PM   #74
azguy
Banned

Quote:

And while I loved it, I didn't love it on me.
Old 6 November 2014, 05:17 AM   #75
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
I'm confused about your confusion. Lol.

Have you never thought a watch was beautiful, but you did like it on?

Another example for me is the daytona. I think it's a stunning watch. I just don't like it on.

I have to imagine you have had similar experiences.

Old 6 November 2014, 07:20 AM   #76
SUPERDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Another example for me is the daytona. I think it's a stunning watch. I just don't like it on.

This happens to me alllllllllllll the time!
Old 6 November 2014, 10:17 AM   #77
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Quote:

That happened to me with the Bumblebee.
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 06:42 AM   #78
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDOC View Post
This happens to me alllllllllllll the time!
ha. me too. but i am thrilled about it.

otherwise, i would have lost a hell of a lot more money flipping.

Old 7 November 2014, 06:43 AM   #79
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
happens to me with just about every AP out there.

i really like them in pics, and in person. but once i get it on the wrist: not so much.

Old 7 November 2014, 07:36 AM   #80
joe100

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
Same here. Gorgeous in person but the white dial AT was the one I chose. Also, the good planet gmt. Love to hold it, too thick to wear
Old 7 November 2014, 07:58 AM   #81
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe100 View Post
Same here. Gorgeous in person but the white dial AT was the one I chose. Also, the good planet gmt. Love to hold it, too thick to wear
damn......the good planet GMT is absolutely stunning, but felt the exact same way with that too. it was just too thick for me when i had it on. odd too, because i think my Ti 9300 speedy is similar, but for me, not too thick at all.

Old 7 November 2014, 08:51 AM   #82
Knappo 1307

Watch: Sea Dweller
I'm in. I really dig this watch!! Think this will be my next one...

http://www.omegawatches.com/collecti...23390412103001
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 10:20 AM   #83
azguy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post

Old 7 November 2014, 11:52 AM   #84
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Quote:

Yeah, that one has my eye too. Just not sure about the PCLs especially since the center links are so wide, but I still want to see it IRL.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 12:08 PM   #85
Knappo 1307

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baco Noir View Post
Yeah, that one has my eye too. Just not sure about the PCLs especially since the center links are so wide, but I still want to see it IRL.
Would look really cool on a vintage mauser strap from Micha, Rob Montana, or Greg Stevens....

IMG_1032 (640x480).jpg
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 02:34 PM   #86
SUPERDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
happens to me with just about every AP out there.

i really like them in pics, and in person. but once i get it on the wrist: not so much.

Holy *$%# - Get out of my head!!!

I just had that experience this weekend...

I thought it was time I stepped up to AP....I just didn't 'feel' any of them...

When it comes to something like this, you just can't force it...when its right, it sings....

listening for the music is the most valuable advice I've taken away from this forum...
Old 13 November 2014, 07:24 AM   #87
terrywoods
"TRF" Member

Tried one on yesterday the blue titanium is nice but the straps needs to be brushed
terrywoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2014, 08:39 AM   #88
wantonebad

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrywoods View Post
Tried one on yesterday the blue titanium is nice but the straps needs to be brushed
Yeah not a fan of the PCL's either but its very sharp in person, very "blingy"!!

Here you go John, a little delayed but as promised:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg watch1.jpg (34.5 KB, 477 views)
File Type: jpg watch2.jpg (33.8 KB, 480 views)
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2014, 02:29 AM   #89
azguy
Banned

I'm still waiting to see one in the flesh/steel so to speak.

The PCLs (I dislike PCLs in general) look bad from the pics, not sure I like what appears to be a larger than normal winding crown, no wrist shots Marc..
Old 14 November 2014, 07:24 AM   #90
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Would look really cool on a vintage mauser strap from Micha, Rob Montana, or Greg Stevens....

Attachment 552417
It's a pretty slick and refined watch in the flesh. Don't really see it on a vintage Mauser. Omega have aslo kindly done a 21mm width so you won't find too many straps for this watch.
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote