The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 21 December 2008, 04:53 AM   #31
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MACRAME QUEENS View Post
dont both use ETA "movements"?
Speedmaster has Lemania
gmh1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2008, 04:56 AM   #32
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by haakon59 View Post
Omega is the better brand. You see quite a few 30, 40, and 50 year old Omegas being sold on eBay. They have done quality work for a long time.
My brother says the weather is a little chilly in Seattle today....I told him we are BBQing and Im wearing shorts and T-shirt and have A.C. on....
He said today he wishes he was in Houston
gmh1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2008, 05:34 AM   #33
Mike B
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Omega SMP
Omega without a doubt. Tag does make some good watches (my father has a Link model from the early 90's that still runs and looks like new). But given the choice between the two, I would choose an Omega in a millisecond !
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2008, 05:57 AM   #34
nylawbiz

Watch: too many
Tag changes designs almost annually, and its hard, if not impossible to get service on older models. The resale value of Tags is much less than that of Omegas. I always thought of Omega as Rolex's little brother. I think of Tag as a watch brand that can be anything from a $200 item from a department store, to a $3,500 watch you buy at a mid-range mall jeweler. Zero exlcusivity. Omega is an iconic watch, with history and a consistent philosphy in watch making.

Just my prespective, I do not allege any expertise other than my own experiences and observations.
nylawbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2008, 06:53 AM   #35
Nica64
"TRF" Member

Omega...... but Tag is a good watch too I own an F1 since 2004 and my kids beat the watch pretty good and still works perfect.
Old 21 December 2008, 09:01 AM   #36
Cato
Banned

Watch: 116610LN
I like Omega. Omega has a more distinguished history: Nasa and the Olympics, specifically. I also believe in the middle of the last century Omega was the Rolex of the time. Omega is trying to make a come back. Both Omega and Tag are in a lot of third rate shops, though. Tags are in a few more. That tarnishes the brand. Omega's workmanship is better than just about every Tag I've had a chance to examine. I've seen Tags that aren't much better than Citizens.
Cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2008, 10:18 AM   #37
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
I'll have to agree with the majority here if we're talking about fairly contemporary watches, Omega gets the nod.

But if you go back into Heuer's history before they were acquired by Tag in 1985, they were on the leading edge:

(Wikipedia)

Heuer was part of a partnership (with Breitling and Hamilton) that sought to introduce the world's first automatic chronograph. Seiko and Zenith were also seeking to be the first to offer these chronographs. These projects were conducted in secret, as none of the competitors wanted the other companies to be aware of their efforts. Most agree that the Heuer-Breitling venture was first to introduce their new line of automatic chronographs, with Heuer-Breitling-Hamilton holding lavish press conferences in Geneva and New York, on March 3, 1969, to show their new lines of chronographs.

My passion has always been vintage watches, and the Heuer pictured below is one of my current projects. An early 1970's Carrera I recently acquired from the original owner (actually I traded a sailboat for it), right now in a million bits. The case is out for stripping, divot repair and re-plating, and the cam switched Valjoux 7736 movement is being overhauled. I was hoping to have it back by Christmas, but time's ticking and it looks like that won't happen.

The dial printing is actually virtually perfect, the tachy ring markings look bad because of the bevel on the edge of the crystal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carrera 1 A.jpg (179.9 KB, 119 views)
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2008, 11:10 AM   #38
rcarney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cellini Cestello
With the release of the Co-Axial movement, Omega has clearly taken the lead over Tag.
rcarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2008, 11:48 AM   #39
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMT Master View Post
I think their bracelet clasps are top notch, and certainly the equal, if not better, than Rolex in that respect.
I would have agreed w/ this 110% until operating/owning the new glidelock clasp...finally Rolex not only catches up with Omega in the clasp department, but actually pulls far ahead IMO.

To the OP, I would take Omega any day over Tag. I prefer the style of Omega more and my SMP has never let me down over many years of tough service.
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2008, 12:09 PM   #40
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

I have both and both are nice, but I think Omega feels better to me.

Outside of my Monaco, there are no other TAGs that interest me at the moment, but Omega, there are a few out there that catch my eye.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2008, 12:41 PM   #41
tommypit

Watch: 2005 TT Sub Black
omega vs Tag

I love my seamaster(have it 5 years now), My tag was a nice watch but I sold it a while back, I just stoped wearing it after I bought the omega.

Go with the omega, you wont be sorry
tommypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2008, 09:55 PM   #42
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by cody p View Post
i believe the general perception in the wis community is that omega is a more prestigious brand than tag.

I don't think that most people would consider either one a prestigious brand.

Just one being a rock solid brand and the other being good.

Old 21 December 2008, 11:53 PM   #43
gaopa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
I have two Omegas and one Tag... while I like both brands, I prefer the Omega. Cheers, Bill P.
gaopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2008, 03:02 AM   #44
ronin7

Watch: green submariner
over the years i have owned five omegas and two tag's.iam now down to my seamaster,speedy pro and a chrono diver,and no tags.i have never regretted flipping my tags.i doubt very much that i would ever purchase a tag again.well made and comfortable but they lacked that special quality i crave.i find omegas to be great watches that take what you throw at them.not in the same league as rolex,but miles ahead of tag heuer.for some of my friends an omega is a good alternative to a rolex but those who wear tags still are looking at upgrading.i felt like that for many years.
ronin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2008, 04:48 AM   #45
asadtiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tissot PRX
I have handled TAGs and OMEGAs...OMEGA by far toooo good than anything I have handled...OMEGA is just I think really going to be the mid-price market leader soon enuf, just my prediction...too good a direction and products coming out.

new OMEGAs
asadtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2008, 05:15 AM   #46
WJGESQ
Banned

Tags Are Mall Watches

Omegas have several claims to fame from an historical standpoint. Tags are mall watches that seem to seek market advantages by associations with whatever pop star/sports celebrity currently in the public eye.

And, Tags are disturbingly common and available at any second rate mall.

So, Omega would be preferable to many.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2008, 05:34 AM   #47
swissautopro
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3.3M 1655 Mk I
Hands down the Omega. I'm not knocking Tag Heuer, but Omega is a much finer watch, in my opinion, and definitely more exclusive.

Mike

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than open your mouth and remove all doubt." Unknown

"Better to be a nobody and yet have a servant than pretend to be somebody and have no food." Proverbs 12
swissautopro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2008, 02:17 AM   #48
peticks
"TRF" Member

sadly, not a 'a' or 'b' answer. what are you looking for? both are quality watches. one could argue omega wins out. but, its one of those..."it depends" answer.
peticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2008, 06:17 AM   #49
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
I'm not a TAG fan. They are fine watches but for me its a matter of taste I guess. I didn't care for their style choices in the 80's with their cupped bracelets or their version of two tone. I'm sure their movements are fine but for a comperable swiss movement for about the same money I would purchase an Oris way before I would buy a TAG, JMHO
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2008, 07:43 AM   #50
towernick
Banned

With the co-axial movement, Omega has really become a fantastic watch brand, it was obviously great before, not many companies with as much history, NASA, etc. Some of the watches Omega makes are quite expensive and beautiful. TAG's to me seem cheap and plasticy, a few of their professional models have some heft to them, but an Omega or Rolex seem to be a better overall buy as far as value and longevity. As with Rolex, Omega has a ton of vintage pieces available through various channels, you don't see to many vintage TAG's out there. Just my 2 cents though.
towernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2008, 07:49 AM   #51
stusrt
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many
i have the speedmaster and new planet ocean - also several Tag's
I would trade a dozen Tag's for one Omega.
I think Tag's are the entry level watch into the high-end models. They are nice enough, but I don't know anyone that doesn't move up from a Tag.
I know it might not be too popular in the forum, but I have yet to find a Rolex comparable to my Planet Ocean co-axail, except for the new deep sea that costs 3X as much.
stusrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2008, 08:56 AM   #52
RandyS
"TRF" Member

Omega would be higher on the list of quality of most knowledgeable watchmakers, would be my guess, I would bet on it...

and while Omega doesnt compare to JLC or Patek, for example, they are still a very high end, luxury manufacturer...

I think we tend to get a bit spoiled over in luxury world and forget just how expensive and wonderful these little toys really are...
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2008, 08:59 AM   #53
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by stusrt View Post
I know it might not be too popular in the forum, but I have yet to find a Rolex comparable to my Planet Ocean co-axail, except for the new deep sea that costs 3X as much.
Everyone's different...but I found my ex-PO Chrono to not be very comfortable. It was fine on the rubber strap, but I prefer metal bracelets and when that was on it just felt way too heavy & moved around a lot. I ended up flipping it and hung onto my SMP Chrono as I liked it better. I REALLY wanted to like the watch since I think it is one of the best looking chrono's on the market, but it just didn't feel that great to me.

These issues are just not present with my DSSD...I would take it any day over the PO. Then again, you have a very valid point regarding the price...PO is definitely a lot more 'bang for your buck'! But, taking the price out of the comparison, I prefer the feel of the DS over the PO. Cheers.
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2008, 09:19 AM   #54
cody p
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 114200
Quote:
i believe the general perception in the wis community is that omega is a more prestigious brand than tag.

just for the record: my original comment was the first sentence. the two later sentences are not mine and i don't know how it is that they have appeared in my post???
cody p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2008, 09:35 AM   #55
Saxon007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
just for the record: my original comment was the first sentence. the two later sentences are not mine and i don't know how it is that they have appeared in my post???
Very well; your scheduled flogging has been cancelled.

Saxon007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2008, 09:47 AM   #56
superformance
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16=55/65/80s
I think Omega suits "mature" individuals while TAG is a very good "starter" watch for the young ones. They will appreciate its look and prestige of a Swiss watch early on, eventually moving up the stairs later on....
superformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2008, 10:14 AM   #57
cody p
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 114200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post
Very well; your scheduled flogging has been cancelled.

cody p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2008, 05:12 PM   #58
Omega_Precision
Banned

Watch: ing basketball
Omega by far is the better watch. I recently had a chance to roam the watch department while my significant other was at the shoe department....lol. It gave me time to see what TAG had to offer because that was the best brand they had. Let me remind you that this is a department store with a star in it's name.

To my surprise TAG were cheap and had no feelto it. These were watches that cost a third more than what a SMP would cost. The bracelet was just as bad as Rolex watches, up until this year, new Rolex's are great. TAG's push button clasp is nothing compared to Omega.
Omega_Precision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2008, 06:05 PM   #59
C. Davidson
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT (116710)
Since we're in the Omega Forum, Im going with....

Omega.

#15,634

"The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge; the ears of the wise seek it out."
C. Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2008, 07:28 PM   #60
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
O-mee-ga.

I like my Omega's and my Tag's ( 'T' Touch and F1).

Why choose between them? - enjoy them all.

ps. I keep pressing the dial on my Omega but can't seem to get temperature, barometric pressure or direction.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7368.jpg (64.8 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7369.jpg (52.6 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06822.JPG (98.6 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06821.jpg (110.4 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05325_resize.JPG (73.3 KB, 87 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote