The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 1 August 2021, 09:24 AM   #1
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Okay, I tried But just can't do it!

I would like to know if anyone else has experienced something like this? Okay, here it goes;

The other day I had the notion to go look at watches, so off to the AD I went. While I was there I spotted a Hamilton 42mm khaki field automatic that looked neat. I proposed to myself that this would make a great dirty work watch. (That's how I rationalize my purchase anyway ) counted out the cash and brought it home.

I fitted the bracelet to my wrist, put my Omega SMP on the winder ( first time for that) and wore the Hamilton none stop for the next couple of days. After wearing a SMP 24/7 for the last 3 months, the more I wore the Hamilton, the more faults I found with it. Lugs are way to long for one thing, then it just started to feel cheap as compared to any Omega I have owned. It just didn't feel right.

Each time I looked at it I thought to myself, this is just silly, you have a perfectly awesome watch just sitting in the winder and your wear this, WHY? In the end I realized that I had purchased a watch for which I "thought" I had a need/use for and then became obvious that in fact - had no use for it at all!

I removed the Hamilton from my wrist, Got the Omega out of the winder.. Apologized to my SMP and put it back on my wrist where it rightfully belongs.. At the moment the ONLY watch on my list is the Speedmaster sapphire sandwich 42mm. 3861. Has anyone one else ever purchased a watch only to find they had no use for it later?

P.S. I gifted the Hamilton to my youngest son today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210731_113320.jpg (167.0 KB, 820 views)
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2021, 12:11 PM   #2
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Well, a harmless misstep, and one that I'm sure many of us have also made. Perhaps this Hamilton was destined to be your son's watch.

There still may be a Hamilton Khaki or something of that sort in your future. I own one that I enjoy every now at then.

AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2021, 01:27 PM   #3
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
Well, a harmless misstep, and one that I'm sure many of us have also made. Perhaps this Hamilton was destined to be your son's watch.

There still may be a Hamilton Khaki or something of that sort in your future. I own one that I enjoy every now at then.

I have this one and it gets the 2nd most wrist time (after my 3861 Speedmaster).

Seiko SKX Pepsi is a close 2nd.

I have other Omegas that collect dust now. I make no apologies.

OP- I'm not a fan of that particular Hamilton mostly because of the date window causing the 15 to be out of place... But otherwise, I generally like Hamilton.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2021, 01:56 PM   #4
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Yes, I too like Hamilton as well as my wife. She has a few of them. Meant no disrespect towards Hamilton, but more than I'm a 1 watch kinda guy. Even if I have several, I usually wear just one of them 99% of the time. I've been that way for more than 40 years. But that may change when I get my moon watch.
Old 1 August 2021, 07:35 PM   #5
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Sounds all too familiar. I bought a Seiko Prospex on a whim when I was in the boutique and told myself it would be my swimming watch.

I sold it some months later. If you’re buying a watch that isn’t half as good as your average piece, you’ve really got to ask yourself if you’re just scratching an itch and then sleep on it.

I was pretty tempted with the Zero West Hurricane recently, but stopped short of a purchase.

https://zerowest.watch/product/h1-p3708/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2021, 07:55 PM   #6
alllexandru
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ2020 View Post
Has anyone one else ever purchased a watch only to find they had no use for it later?
Yes, many times years ago after I just realized that better wait and go for the watches I really want and will stay with me forever.
I sold almost everything and start again, first with my Speedy and others will follow step by step
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2021, 08:00 PM   #7
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’ve kind of had the opposite experience in a away …

I tend to wear my SKX009j more than any other watch I own. Some days it has me questioning why I own more expensive watches at all
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2021, 08:41 PM   #8
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alllexandru View Post
Yes, many times years ago after I just realized that better wait and go for the watches I really want and will stay with me forever.
I sold almost everything and start again, first with my Speedy and others will follow step by step
That's where I'm at myself, starting over. Some months back (maybe a year ago) I found myself not enjoying the new Rolex's I had. They started out super accurate, then problems started. After MANY returns to a RSC I just got rid of them as I have many others in the past. I had purchased several other brands like Panerai, Breitling, Tissot, Hamilton and Omega. I really liked some of them and could of worn any of them for the rest of my days except for my work. They would get magnetized. Including Rolex. The only one that didn't was the Omega.

So between magnetic problems and the water resistance needed I ended up with Omega. They were the only brand that would hold up. The 42 PO was my favorite, abit to thick. The SMP 300m is awesome. Right size and checks ALL the boxes for me. DeVille for dress and wanting a 3861 for weekends.

I think now as indicated by some that I was scratching a itch. Also if it wasn't for my work as some have mentioned, I could be happy with a much less expensive watch. There all pretty good these days. Especially Breitling's SO 42mm. Love them.

So yes, starting over. 2 down and one to go. Then I'm done.
Old 1 August 2021, 09:31 PM   #9
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like Hamilton and have a few examples in the collection. Many times I will buy a less expensive watch for what it is not, not what it is. These watches can be a fun beater, not much expense, a different look, etc. the list goes on. I do not look to these watches as a replacement just an alternative. I enjoy many less expensive Seiko's and look past bezel alignment issues, poor time keeping and at what can be described at best, bracelet issues. Why, because it is fun and I like the overall style. There is a true beater for you out there or not, your choice.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2021, 11:47 PM   #10
KBM

Many, many times. For me, I've found that a small collection, in which every piece is carefully chosen and is a watch that I'm proud of, is the best approach.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2021, 02:10 AM   #11
anonymousmoose
"TRF" Member

Okay, I tried But just can't do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmith1974 View Post

I sold it some months later. If you’re buying a watch that isn’t half as good as your average piece, you’ve really got to ask yourself if you’re just scratching an itch and then sleep on it.
That's how I sometimes feel about my TAG Heuer F1. It certainly scratched an itch at the time. It's an entry level watch within the TAG lineup.

When I'm not wearing it, I occasionally think about selling it for the reason you mentioned. However, when I do strap it on the wrist, that feeling goes away - any thoughts of selling it disappear. It's like I fall in love with it all over again. Falling out of love when I stop wearing it and back in love when I do. The cycle continues.

Whilst it doesn't get the wrist time Omegas get, i just can't help admiring it when I strap it on.

Old 2 August 2021, 02:43 AM   #12
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBM View Post
Many, many times. For me, I've found that a small collection, in which every piece is carefully chosen and is a watch that I'm proud of, is the best approach.
Agree more and more with this approach the further I get into this hobby. When you buy inexpensive "fun" watches you spend less time wearing the watches you really love. Starting to thing three is the magic number but don't know if I'll ever get back down to that point again.

So for the OP I hear you and just about all of us have been there. No harm no foul, and gifting it was a great approach.

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2021, 03:07 AM   #13
mmalek1
"TRF" Member

Watch: This one.
Although I wouldn’t call it a cheaper watch, once I found my BB58, all of my other watches just sit in the watch case. I know they are still there, but 4 months down the road, I still reach for my BB everyday.
♛16610LV, ♛116710BLNR, ♛214270, ♛116610LN, ♛216570, ♛116900, ♛16600, ♛116400GV, ΩSpeedmaster Silver Snoopy 45th and 50th, ΩSpeedmaster ST1, ΩCK859, Seiko Alpinist SPB089, Casio Oceanus S100, Ball DM1020
mmalek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2021, 01:14 PM   #14
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I’ve kind of had the opposite experience in a away …

I tend to wear my SKX009j more than any other watch I own. Some days it has me questioning why I own more expensive watches at all
Agreed. Love my SKX (009J) despite the low cost of entry.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2021, 04:30 PM   #15
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBM View Post
Definitely this. I wrote a post yesterday about this with my 3 watch collection.
Old 2 August 2021, 07:20 PM   #16
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
Agreed. Love my SKX (009J) despite the low cost of entry.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2021, 07:28 PM   #17
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post

I like the Khaki mechanical too. I might get one of those…I’d probably wouldn’t wear it as much as others, but it would get some wrist time.

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2021, 12:35 AM   #18
Oyster Perp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's where I'm at myself, starting over. Some months back (maybe a year ago) I found myself not enjoying the new Rolex's I had. They started out super accurate, then problems started. After MANY returns to a RSC I just got rid of them as I have many others in the past. I had purchased several other brands like Panerai, Breitling, Tissot, Hamilton and Omega. I really liked some of them and could of worn any of them for the rest of my days except for my work. They would get magnetized. Including Rolex. The only one that didn't was the Omega.

So between magnetic problems and the water resistance needed I ended up with Omega. They were the only brand that would hold up. The 42 PO was my favorite, abit to thick. The SMP 300m is awesome. Right size and checks ALL the boxes for me. DeVille for dress and wanting a 3861 for weekends.

I think now as indicated by some that I was scratching a itch. Also if it wasn't for my work as some have mentioned, I could be happy with a much less expensive watch. There all pretty good these days. Especially Breitling's SO 42mm. Love them.

So yes, starting over. 2 down and one to go. Then I'm done.
Wouldnt a Milgauss solve the problem ?
Oyster Perp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2021, 01:35 AM   #19
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
When I want a watch, I go and lay down for awhile. Sometimes the feeling goes away.

Sometimes it doesn't.

It's embarrassing sometimes, finding a place to lie down in the middle of a store.

Ben
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2021, 05:07 AM   #20
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizcut1 View Post
When I want a watch, I go and lay down for awhile. Sometimes the feeling goes away.

Sometimes it doesn't.

It's embarrassing sometimes, finding a place to lie down in the middle of a store.

Ben
Oh that's a good one!, BTW - Have you noticed the ceiling in my AD? Beautiful to look at.
Old 14 August 2021, 05:11 AM   #21
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster Perp View Post
Wouldnt a Milgauss solve the problem ?
Nope, not even close. I have taken readings on some of the equipment I use. 9500 gauss is not uncommon. Milgauss is 1000. Will need a Omega for this enviroment .
Old 14 August 2021, 05:54 AM   #22
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMPCcoax
Quote:
Nope, not even close. I have taken readings on some of the equipment I use. 9500 gauss is not uncommon. Milgauss is 1000. Will need a Omega for this enviroment .

Isn’t the 1000 gauss thing just marketing ie it can likely take a lot more? Appreciate the master coaxial are amagnetic but still

Roddypeepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2021, 11:32 AM   #23
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddypeepa View Post
Isn’t the 1000 gauss thing just marketing ie it can likely take a lot more? Appreciate the master coaxial are amagnetic but still

Yes, probably 4 times that. The 3235 has a high Anti-magnetic resistance. But magnetized one of those.... twice. The escapement survived, but the rest of the movement did not. So instead of speeding up, it slowed down because plates and staffs were magnetized pulling together adding additional resistance to the movement. Had to return it to my Rolex ad twice the first time before they figured it out. Hence why I run Omega. But in all fairness, Rolex has enough Anti-magnetic protection that most people (99%) will probably never have a issue what so ever.