The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 30 July 2021, 07:00 AM   #61
stratguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
I’ve got one snd love it. What kind of service do you have done to it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You need to flush it out with vinegar to remove any scaling.
stratguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 07:50 AM   #62
dmac001
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yacht-Master
We replaced two (2) 40 gallon gas water heaters with a tankless a couple years ago. I installed (with a little help) with no more difficulty than sweat-soldering the copper cold/hot water lines and reusing our 3/4" gas line. A few of considerations.

1) Be sure to size the tankless unit based on your gas supply and the number of simultaneous uses (showers, kitchen,...). The tankless specifications have a sizing table with the gas supply size required. We had existing 3/4" gas line from the meter, tee'd into two 1/2" lines for the two water heaters. I was able to remove the tee and use the 3/4" supply for the new tankless. I even had enough 3/4" pipe to reroute to the tankless.

2) As previously mentioned, the gas supply was much easier to install than I expected. I was really worried about this, so I had a plumber friend help. He had an electric thread-cutter help cut the threads in the 3/4" galvanized gas pipe. You can rent the die from Home Depot; Harbor Freight has a set, or I assume you could have a local plumbing supply or even Home Depot cut the required threads.

3) Gas assembly was simple -- even easier than sweat-soldering copper! : cut/thread to size, apply gas teflon tape (yellow), apply pipe-dope, thread together. You will need two large pipe-wrenches or channel-locks pliers.

4) Check the gas line for leaks using soapy water. if the gas leaks, you will smell gas and see bubbles. May need to tighten the connection.

5) Add a 'tee', a 3" pipe and an end-cap instead of the elbow that turns into the tankless to catch any debris (unlikely) in the gas line. Also need a gas shutoff valve and threaded coupler inline, if you need to remove the tankless. This was required by LA building code.

6) You'll need to consider an inside vs. outside unit. The inside ones require new venting (I think double-wall). I went with an outside unit, thus freeing up a interior closet. I mounted on the side of the house - no problems. This did make a longer run to the back bathroom.

6) California is crazy - they are pushing super-efficient tankless units. These require a drain to the sewer discharge. What they do is super-heat the exhaust gas to remove the water, which drains into the sewer. These units cost a lot more and require the extra connection to your sewer. In my opinion, you don't need to spend the extra $$$ for a little more efficiency, along with the extra installation cost $$$$$$$$$. Don't be tricked by this.

Note, with the two water-tanks we were paying about $30/month (summer). With the tankless, this dropped to $8/month. We are probably talking pennies in extra efficiency.

7) Don't let the installers tell you that only licensed installers can install the unit. I called Takagi (my unit) and their response was as long as installed per local building code, they'd honor the warranty.

8) You can decide whether you need a permit or not. Los Angeles (and I assume San Diego) is super crazy requiring permits for just about everything (change a light-bulb, need a permit).

9) When I called around, the specialized installers wanted several thousand dollars for the job. I couldn't believe the cost they were charging. We bought a large Takagi tankless (supports 3 bathrooms, kitchen and laundry), which I recall was about $800. My installation time was one afternoon (2 or 3 hours) for installing the gas line (would have been less, but I redid a few of the threaded cuts till they were the right length). I also redid all the copper pipe, so I rerouted the old tank hot/cold water to the outside tankless. Estimating my time for copper repipe, about 1/2 to 1 day more. My point is the installers were charging a premium for a relatively simply install. One person one day could easily install the unit, especially if using the existing gas line and same location as old waterheater.

10) We cycle vinegar through our system for a couple of hours every year. I bought an inexpensive transfer pump from harbor Freight. We have very hard water.

11) Unlike a tank water-heater, you may experience a longer time for when the hot water gets to your sink/shower. In our case, the kitchen and front bathroom, the hot water is nearly instant. However, our back bathroom, it takes about 30 seconds for the hot water to get to the shower and over a minute to the sink (this is due to the reduced flow aerator to the sink). Note, we had the 2nd tank water-heater close to the back bathroom.

I'm very happy with the tankless - it is much better technology than keeping 80 gallons of water hot 24x7. Good luck -- I hope this helps!

Don
dmac001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 07:56 AM   #63
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

How do you cycle the vinegar through the pump? I also installed mine myself.

swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 02:54 PM   #64
stratguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
How do you cycle the vinegar through the pump? I also installed mine myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4FaqGod3VU
Old 30 July 2021, 10:47 PM   #65
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Amazon has a 'kit' with pump and two hoses (usually one red hose and one blue hose). It's VERY EASY to clean the tankless once you learn it. Be sure to clean the little filter thingy too. Sure the kit is a bit 'overpriced', yet it beats chasing down each part to save $20 imho. https://amzn.to/3rPOYQr

Once done cleaning, BE SURE to always always always wash the vinegar off the hoses and pump too.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 11:53 PM   #66
swils8610

Thanks!

Old 30 July 2021, 11:54 PM   #67
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I looked into tankless when we moved a few months ago and no longer have a Jacuzzi. But nobody is really talking about the cost of the things here.

The convenience sounds great, and the fact that a constantly heated water tank sounds like something we invented in the 1600s and couldn't think of anything better since.

But the multiple thousand dollars for tankless compared to a water tank is substantial.... like heading into Rolex territory.

I'd like to hear what people here actually paid for the system they are touting.

I realize that most people on this site have so much money that they pay nubile young women to bathe them, but for us peasants, what are we talking here???
Old 31 July 2021, 01:05 AM   #68
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I looked into tankless when we moved a few months ago and no longer have a Jacuzzi. But nobody is really talking about the cost of the things here.

The convenience sounds great, and the fact that a constantly heated water tank sounds like something we invented in the 1600s and couldn't think of anything better since.

But the multiple thousand dollars for tankless compared to a water tank is substantial.... like heading into Rolex territory.

I'd like to hear what people here actually paid for the system they are touting.

I realize that most people on this site have so much money that they pay nubile young women to bathe them, but for us peasants, what are we talking here???

Cost depends a lot on what the existing power source is. In our area if replacing a gas water heater with a tank less gas water heater 2-4K depending on the water demand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2021, 01:13 AM   #69
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk/SD4K/SeaQ/P39
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratguy View Post
If you have a water softener the scaling shouldn't be too bad. I do mine every 2 years.
Old 31 July 2021, 03:36 AM   #70
Langnam
"TRF" Member

I recently finished building a custom house and was offered as an upgrade, a tankless gas heater.

The builder wanted an extra $1750 for the privilege. These days, it’s mainly 2 in the house. I couldn’t see any payback advantage for that kind of money.

I stuck with a hot water tank and have very small bills.

Happy camper.

Old 31 July 2021, 04:03 AM   #71
wantonebad

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
If I was building from scratch I would consider it, but insulating your hot-water pipes and the tank, along with a vacation timer will keep a tank-system running efficiently and bring the monthly costs down. plus consider a water filter for you main line. Filtering the water that goes into the tank extends its life. Most tank failures start with excessive sediment buildup that corrodes the lining after constant heating over time. Zero reason to replace an existing system unless its dying and even then, its much cheaper to replace the tank especially if its under warranty. Tanks have extended warranties, even the cheap ones are good for 10-15 years and if you bought a hi-end model it could be as much as 20-30 years!
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2021, 06:45 AM   #72
stratguy
"TRF" Member

They are more expensive (mine was $2500) but they last 4-5 times longer than a conventional water heater. If you are there for the long haul, it makes sense.
Old 31 July 2021, 08:15 AM   #73
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
Of course 11 minutes isn't enough.

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2021, 08:17 AM   #74
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratguy View Post
You need to flush it out with vinegar to remove any scaling.
Or get a culligan whole house water filtration system with water softener for $5k and then post it on TRF. And realize you just got duped.

Old 31 July 2021, 09:40 AM   #75
swils8610

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchtabs View Post

Classic Jocke!!

Old 31 July 2021, 10:04 AM   #76
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchtabs View Post
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2021, 02:58 PM   #77
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
Of course 11 minutes isn't enough.

OMG! I didn't want to see that. Poor Anna!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2021, 03:02 AM   #78
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Come on Paul you look ripped in that picture… What have you been doing? Did you start on the intermittent fasting?

Old 1 August 2021, 09:52 AM   #79
TNT009
"TRF" Member

Good topic... Love mine and that reminds me, need to get it cleaned.!
TNT009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2021, 11:58 PM   #80
jmhavy
"TRF" Member

I am using Bosch Tronic 3000 ES4 and very happy with it. It is super well insulated, very efficient, compact, silent and powerful. Once heated, it will maintain the water hot enough for my outdoor shower for 24 hours. But there is a downside which is the modest flow rate at 14.5 ounces per minute
jmhavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 11:20 AM   #81
mschafer
"TRF" Member

We have one for about 8 years, gas operated, zero issues, shower as long as you want, or multiple people (summer visitors coming back from the beach). I prefer this over a constant heated tank of hot water. So much more efficient. If I would redo this, I would decentralize this and have it closer to the actual faucets/wet rooms. Quicker hot water on tap and if one system fails you go to the next, only issue, more gas lines…
mschafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 01:07 PM   #82
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
You'll never run out of hot water and you'll never come home from vacation to a busted water tank and a flooded house. Ask me how I know...
Ugh, that happened to me in 2019. Luckily it was cement basement.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 05:58 PM   #83
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

"never run out of hot water?"

How do you have a (hot) shower, during a power outage?
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 06:40 PM   #84
chris242

Watch: 116610lv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
"never run out of hot water?"

How do you have a (hot) shower, during a power outage?

The tankless water heater system I have on the boat uses 2 D or maybe C batteries in order to make the spark for the propane to ignite to heat the water. So no electricity is needed.

chris242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 07:52 PM   #85
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris242 View Post
The tankless water heater system I have on the boat uses 2 D or maybe C batteries in order to make the spark for the propane to ignite to heat the water. So no electricity is needed.

And the water pressure?
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 08:05 PM   #86
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
And the water pressure?

Battery back up?
Andad is offline   Reply With Quote