The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 31 July 2021, 07:42 PM   #91
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
Can you imagine having 20 people like this every day, talking to you about all this. Would get boring and weird really fast.
Truth.

Not a fan of schmoozing with SAs and prefer a no nonsense approach.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2021, 08:44 PM   #92
RiRi
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 36 Mint
Maybe also a cultural thing - what is "ok" at an AP boutique in the US might be very akward at a Bucherer in Switzerland ...
RiRi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2021, 09:36 PM   #93
Kittayos
"TRF" Member

For AP, always deal with boutique or house. All ADs will be gone eventually.
Kittayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2021, 11:30 PM   #94
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittayos View Post
For AP, always deal with boutique or house. All ADs will be gone eventually.
What’s the difference between a boutique and a house?

Regarding ADs I think it depends on which market we’re talking about. Bucherer is losing its very high profile AP-monobrand store in Zürich but at the same time the only AD in the small fragmented markets that make up Scandinavia (Nymans Ur 1851 in Stockholm) is still going strong on the AP front. Some places are not big enough to sustain a boutique.
IBDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2021, 12:16 AM   #95
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBDOC View Post
What’s the difference between a boutique and a house?

Regarding ADs I think it depends on which market we’re talking about. Bucherer is losing its very high profile AP-monobrand store in Zürich but at the same time the only AD in the small fragmented markets that make up Scandinavia (Nymans Ur 1851 in Stockholm) is still going strong on the AP front. Some places are not big enough to sustain a boutique.
Didn’t bucherer purchase WOS?
AP May be the only brand they don’t have?
(I don’t recall seeing AP there?)
Old 1 August 2021, 02:19 AM   #96
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Curious what you think the sign is, LA > HK or HK > LA?

Agree with the rest of your post
From my conversations it would be HK >>> LA, or really most major cities in Asia, hence why you see many more Asian limited editions than those for the Americas. Believe this is contributed to the Asian markets having many more VIP clientele so they need more limited editions to allocate and keep their VIPs happy.

Not sure how Asia compares to the European markets, I know a few people posted geographical sales figures in the past and probably shed more light than I can.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2021, 02:41 AM   #97
blada4life
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
Agree with this entirely. I bought Rolex watches from my AD when they weren’t ‘hot’ and it was cheaper to go grey. I regularly visited my AD to talk watches even though i couldn’t afford to buy any more. Then the landscape changed and they’ve looked after me very well. If the market crashes and it’s cheaper to buy grey again, I will continue to buy from my AD as I always have done. I winder how many of the current ‘complainers’ will do the same??

Btw, not a dig at the OP, I wouldn’t complain about not being able to get a watch, but I would have a (small) gripe about the deposit situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
not taking offense at all but just want to remind you of the context, i put a deposit down in very early June 2020, when the pandemic was in full swing. the blue dial chrono was not selling for much of a premium at the time (i recall being able to buy it a value equal to around around MSRP plus tax - except to get it from a non tax reseller and pay roughly the same), and i debated to go grey, but wanted a relationship with an AD and they agreed to it. Had they said no on blue, i would've ordered a black dial or other color and per my convo with the manager this week, i likely would have had it by now. My brother put a deposit at the same time as i did, so i brought business there. He ordered a 37mm RO grey dial. he got his in February 2021, so i probably would have had mine by now as well. Just an odd situation that i think the SA screwed up on and then tried to get out of. The manager was open to helping but was really unapologetic, literally blaming the SA. I am not a watch snob, i am fair... but do expect to be treated fairly given the circumstances and given it was entirely of their own doing. When i ordered this $30k watch, it was made very clear to me that if i back out i lose my deposit... at the time there was still uncertainty. The receipt said all sales final, no refunds. My point is that i would have stood by my word and was expected to do so.

I follow the golden rule and the customer service, or lack thereof, that i dealt with in this experience really speaks volumes more so about the attitude of ADs in general. Ok so they get 100 calls a day asking for a SS. They literally get paid for that. Some ADs act as if their shi* doesnt stink when standing around empty cases doing nothing and getting paid for it, and then complaining all those people they have to say no to. i really dont feel bad for them when i see or hear of my type of experience.

I did speak to the manager this week, in a post i summarized earlier in this thread and we will see what happens, but i did not leave the convo feeling confident that i will end up with an AP. Had the market remained the same or even worsened, I was fully expected to buy it or lose my money. I dont like games, or scummy people who back out of deals, like in this case. A transaction was made and agreed to, i fulfilled my end of the bargain, i also relied on their statements to me. Fact is, i cannot afford more than one $30k watch per year, and i DID walk away from other potential purchases in reliance that i would end up buying this watch by this year. Now, many of those chances from last year have sky rocketed in value or are unavailable due to lack of supply as well. I worked very hard to afford this AP and it took a lot to pull the trigger and allocate funds for it, in part, symbolizing surviving the pandemic with my work, family, etc. The business i brought them (including my brother as a referral and my deposit) and hard work was simply not being respected, not a good look. In the end, the brand has really picked up in value since last summer, but the AD would all be singing a different tune had the watch industry tanked like many expected it would. And for the record, i am not per se complaining of not being able to get the watch, i am complaining that i was lied to and then not handled properly when the truth came to light etc. When i explained to the AP rep at their corporates office what transpired, the rep specifically told me that is the main reason AP is going boutique only and highly recommended ONLY doing business with the corporate locations and using the reps words, "this would never happen at a corp location," and made it clear that if it was, the rep would apply pressure for them to complete the transaction. I like hearing those things and would expect nothing less. The rep also will try to help out if i end up being refunded, and would put me in touch with a boutique. It is still something even if nothing comes of it, with a better level of customer service than the local AD itself.
blada4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2021, 09:25 AM   #98
Burlington
"TRF" Member

At this stage, I don’t think dwelling on it will serve you much useful purpose.

You can always save for a bit longer and go grey if you’re certain that’s the only AP you want.

Otherwise check out the code range at a boutique to get a foot in the door.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2021, 09:56 AM   #99
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Maybe the manager flipped it for way more LOL
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2021, 10:00 AM   #100
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
Seriously... It's this kind of attitude that ruins the market as well. Buying stuff you don't want or need.

''yeah but it's the name of the game''.

Perhaps there weren't any other watches.
Remember, the “one” watch buyer is competing directly with the organic buyer who “wants” them all. I won’t say need because nobody needs an AP.

In those scenarios, save for the occasional miracle mentioned here and there, the one time buyer will lose out. They just will.
Fleetlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2021, 11:00 AM   #101
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
From my conversations it would be HK >>> LA, or really most major cities in Asia, hence why you see many more Asian limited editions than those for the Americas.
My guess as well; I just find that many US compatriots don't have a very good sense of just how much wealth there is in these places.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2021, 03:15 PM   #102
NiJaRo1225
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP and Rolex
Ugh.....I'd be HEATED for sure.

That being said: As some others have suggested, I definitely wouldn't take any aggressive/threatening approach (legal [good luck with that], social media, etc).

I think there's a real opportunity here to express your appreciation for the brand and your utter devastation from losing the opportunity to purchase the watch you put down a deposit for. Tactfully and calmly expressing this in person (hopefully with a manager) potentially gets you something else you may be interested in AND keeps you in good standing with the brand, if that's ultimately your wish.

The feeling of having to jump through hoops to be allowed to buy a watch you put a deposit down on IS ridiculous - but these are the times we're living in. At the end of the day, you did nothing wrong, are clearly the victim here, and can probably carefully play this into getting something else highly desirable.

Fingers crossed for you!
NiJaRo1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2021, 03:43 PM   #103
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
Sorry to hear about your experience. As many of noted, not really sure you have much of a recourse outside of expressing your concerns to the AD & AP and hoping for some type of resolution beyond the refund option. Surprised they didn't at least offer to get you at the front of the line on another comparable model (assuming you had a similar level of interest). Either way positive thoughts headed your way for a favorable outcome.
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2021, 10:05 PM   #104
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
At this stage, I don’t think dwelling on it will serve you much useful purpose.

You can always save for a bit longer and go grey if you’re certain that’s the only AP you want.

Otherwise check out the code range at a boutique to get a foot in the door.

Or an Offshore. Basically, any reference that won’t double in value overnight. My guess is that these references won’t tick the box.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2021, 11:38 PM   #105
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
Maybe the manager flipped it for way more LOL
Actually, that makes the most sense.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2021, 01:52 AM   #106
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poweredbyjae View Post
Surprised they didn't at least offer to get you at the front of the line on another comparable model (assuming you had a similar level of interest).
Well, this makes sense if one assumes that this was not an unfortunate accident on the side of the AD, but a business decision to use models with a $20k+ premium as leverage with higher spend clients than they judge the OP to be.

I would definitely not waste any energy (money) on building a relationship with this AD - if they come through with a substitute for the ROC, fine. In parallel OP should heed the advice of the AP rep and work with a (preferably corporate) boutique.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2021, 02:40 AM   #107
schwuerthi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiJaRo1225 View Post
Ugh.....I'd be HEATED for sure.

That being said: As some others have suggested, I definitely wouldn't take any aggressive/threatening approach (legal [good luck with that], social media, etc).

I think there's a real opportunity here to express your appreciation for the brand and your utter devastation from losing the opportunity to purchase the watch you put down a deposit for. Tactfully and calmly expressing this in person (hopefully with a manager) potentially gets you something else you may be interested in AND keeps you in good standing with the brand, if that's ultimately your wish.

The feeling of having to jump through hoops to be allowed to buy a watch you put a deposit down on IS ridiculous - but these are the times we're living in. At the end of the day, you did nothing wrong, are clearly the victim here, and can probably carefully play this into getting something else highly desirable.

Fingers crossed for you!

LOL. Guys it's a watch...
Market is red hot, lots of VIPs to satisfy including now prob 10x more new demand than 5-10y ago with same supply.

So you had a crappy experience. So you weren't treated fairly in your opinion. Move on and buy a different watch / find a different boutique.

Your problem is not being able to get a $30k watch when you thought you needed one... In the grand scheme your problem is something that 99% of people would kill for
schwuerthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2021, 01:02 PM   #108
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

OP, will the manager put you on the new SS ROC list when the new models are released? Also, why not hedge and also get on the list at the boutique? Since the CRM's are different, seems like zero downside and only upside. After all, that AD does not deserve your loyalty. It's a pure transactional future.

Also to OP, please take this next comment in jest as it's meant really for everyone else (as I sympathize with your sucky situation). This entire situation for some reason just reminds me of this Thanos quote with all the Codes sitting around. Just image the CODE saying this Thanos line, but still with the Josh Brolin voice:

"You could not live with our own failure. Where did that bring you? Back to me."

Also...the purple code Chrono doesn't look half bad, and I'm not even a purple kind of color person!
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 06:20 AM   #109
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
OP, will the manager put you on the new SS ROC list when the new models are released? Also, why not hedge and also get on the list at the boutique? Since the CRM's are different, seems like zero downside and only upside. After all, that AD does not deserve your loyalty. It's a pure transactional future.

Also to OP, please take this next comment in jest as it's meant really for everyone else (as I sympathize with your sucky situation). This entire situation for some reason just reminds me of this Thanos quote with all the Codes sitting around. Just image the CODE saying this Thanos line, but still with the Josh Brolin voice:

"You could not live with our own failure. Where did that bring you? Back to me."

Also...the purple code Chrono doesn't look half bad, and I'm not even a purple kind of color person!
HAHA that was pretty funny. I am not sure how it is in HK my friend but here in LA, AP AD has ZERO codes. Completely sold out. Lucky if they have one lady watch in stock. Mind boggling.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 08:09 AM   #110
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Piaget,Rolex,AP,HB
That really is an awful experience, OP has my sympathies. I live in HK & I do feel it must be easier to get a RO especially with the AD's/B here, does HK have the most in the world out of any city, I'm not sure

Anyway for the OP I wouldn't even bother to speak to the Manager, you really need their boss' boss. I would message with their Marketing Director in the US on Linkedin with an Inmail - if you don't have a Professional LI account, I'm sure you have a friend who has one and you can borrow theirs to send. If they don't respond, msg other Directors in the company & i'm sure one of them will pick it up
youthagainsttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 11:12 PM   #111
CAWatchLove
Banned

If this AD did you like this for no valid reason as you have explained then they owe you. You gave them money for over a year, money you could have invested and made a return on. You invested in the relationship and they failed you using the brands name. If this is an AD go straight to the manager and owner explaining how you are going to AP corporate to expose them if they do not fulfill the original promise which they collected money on. . Have all evidence (emails, texts, deposits, proof of promise) ready to go for AP corporate and you can email AP direct mentioning the details and supporting evidence IF they cannot make this right by delivering something for you. go straight to the owner of the boutique or manager explaining what happened and gently warn them you will be going to the brand direct with evidence of this absurd behavior if they cannot make it right. . Again if there is no other context to this story, you should have the upper hand. These brands trust their AD network to fulfill promises & deposits. Best of luck
CAWatchLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 12:30 AM   #112
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
I don’t beg - particularly not to be allowed to spend money.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2021, 08:25 AM   #113
speedfighter
"TRF" Member

So true

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
This is the only logical answer. Anything else is pretty much drivel.
speedfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2021, 08:48 AM   #114
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2021, 09:53 AM   #115
NiJaRo1225
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP and Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwuerthi View Post
LOL. Guys it's a watch...
Market is red hot, lots of VIPs to satisfy including now prob 10x more new demand than 5-10y ago with same supply.

So you had a crappy experience. So you weren't treated fairly in your opinion. Move on and buy a different watch / find a different boutique.

Your problem is not being able to get a $30k watch when you thought you needed one... In the grand scheme your problem is something that 99% of people would kill for

To each their - if that’s how you would choose to view this situation if it happened to you, that’s your prerogative.

Obviously “it’s a watch” - this is a watch forum. I would venture to say that many/most people on these forums are diehard watch fans, and would be very upset by this situation.

I for one would definitely be upset, and would try to tactfully turn the situation into one where I might be able to get something else I wanted instead. Period.

NiJaRo1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2021, 11:15 AM   #116
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
It’s his business and he can do as he likes, so long as it doesn’t violate any agreement with AP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2021, 11:36 AM   #117
ks58
Banned

Definitely a bummer for you. I've been trying to get this watch as well since I like it. But everything RO is ridiculous and so hard to get. And i'm not really a VIP with AP at the moment.
ks58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2021, 08:23 AM   #118
Willyjo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blada4life View Post
I put down a deposit on a blue dial 26331ST when they first reopened after covid. My brother did the same, but on the 27mm RO.

My order needed manager approval. After some back and forth they agreed to let me order the blue dial. I put a deposit down with my CC and was told to expect it somewhere in the 6-12 month range depending on the delivery schedule. At the time the chrono wasnt as popular so the premium wasn't nearly the same and the rep told me i was not that far down their list.

I was not pushy and followed up about once a month knowing I had to wait about 8 months. At the 8 month mark, my brother got the call for his 37mm and i thought i was good to go.

I spoke to my rep about 2 weeks ago and she made it seem like i was getting mine soon. All of a sudden, i got a call yesterday telling me they needed to cancel my order and refund my deposit, with some sh!tty explanation that doesnt make sense. i have also been given the run around to speak to the manager.

I am not sure what my options are here. The watch has significantly gained a premium over the past year. Has anyone been in this situation before? Any advice? Here is what i am thinking my possible options are, and none are very pretty, i just want the watch to own:

1. walk away and leave a bad review
2. threaten legal action to enforce agreement, or difference in current market price v. selling price
3. continue to push for the watch or something different (they sales rep for now refused this option)
4. file a complaint with AP (not sure if this would even make a difference).

keep in mind i have waited for over a year (about 13-14 months) with the promise of being able to buy the watch. there is literally no explanation other than they want to cancel the order. nothing was offered and i am getting the run around regarding speaking to the manager etc. its almost as if they got to my name finally and with the current market value, realized they didnt want to sell it to me. very bizarre, and after spending at most 1-2 minutes each time with me as to the ETA when i have inquired, the rep spent over 30 min pressuring me to accept cancellation, which i have for now refused.
I would not accept the refund at all. You have a legal binding agreement. An AD tried this w me (for Moser). I pushed back and threatened to involve my lawyer immediately. They reversed course and I got my watch (beautiful Steamliner Centre Seconds).
Willyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2021, 12:23 PM   #119
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

Definitely option number two is what you have to do. Hire an attorney, pay them a $20,000 retainer, and sue the AD for breach of contract. Please give us updates along the way
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2021, 01:58 PM   #120
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

Is there anything else you wan't? I'd use the situation to leverage yourself into a high waitlist position on another model like 15202.
indianmachine is offline   Reply With Quote