The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 September 2012, 03:26 AM   #31
pmar124
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tone View Post
I've owned my DJ for 12 years now. It was my first luxury watch purchase and I wore it every single day for 12 years. My wife bought me an Omega for our 10-year anniversary (8/31) and I've been wearing that ever since. I've never had any issues with ruggedness. Something else I like about the DJ is you can find so many options to customize it if you choose. When I first bought my DJ it had a plastic crystal, white dial w/ roman numerals and stainless steel fluted bezel. I have the original jubilee bracelet and LOVE it. I have since upgraded the crystal to sapphire, added a custom MOP diamond dial and also added a diamond bezel. I plan on giving this to my son when he graduates from college. He's only 8 now, so I have a few more years ahead of me to enjoy it!
Has the jubilee bracelet worked out well for you these past 12 years? I would presume the condition must still be good if you did not include it with your recent 'upgrades.' Thanks.
pmar124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2012, 03:27 AM   #32
Annan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233
No worries....DJ is a tough watch. My current one is a year old and I have had no problems wearing it cycling, hiking, playing tennis, etc... I do recommend the Super Jubilee bracelet because it is less prone to show scratches than the Oyster with PCLs and it is very comfortable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2095 (800x600) (640x480).jpg (217.4 KB, 204 views)
Annan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2012, 03:54 AM   #33
fliphandywork
"TRF" Member

Watch: Precision
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboris View Post
Hi everybody,

I am looking at buying a Datejust (either the 116200 or the 116234). I already have a Rolex Sub w/o date, Rolex GMT 1675 (Pepsi) and the Rolex GMT II (Coke). I like the versatility of the Datejust as either an elegant or sportive watch.
I am planning to use it as a daily watch. Therefore, I was wondering about the experience Datejust owners have: is it sturdy enough to be worn at the beach, go swimming with it and occasionally do no-impact sports with it?

Thanks,

bboris
I inherited a 1971 1603 from a family friend and am always amazed by its durability and lasting style. I've owned it for 6 years and love it. I don't wear it that often but when I do I find myself constantly looking at the pie pan dial. Great watch.
fliphandywork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2012, 04:11 AM   #34
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmar124 View Post
Hi guys-Great responses and some very good insight. How have each of you found the longevity of the Oyster vs Jubilee? And for those who have the newer style bracelets, is there higher chance of stretch on the TT Oyster or TT Jub? I wonder if I am better off choosing to go the SS route. Thanks.
Generally speaking, the Oyster is perceived as the tougher bracelet than Jubilee, so it should last longer. The idea behind the new construction of Jubilee bracelets was that they wouldn't "stretch", but there have been reports that they have. How you wear the watch is the most important factor, however - if it's properly sized and the bracelet is cleaned regularly, that will minimise the wear
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2012, 04:15 AM   #35
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
The Datejust isn't tough... as the name suggests, it's only meant to be worn on dates.

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2012, 04:49 AM   #36
Big Tone
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmar124 View Post
Has the jubilee bracelet worked out well for you these past 12 years? I would presume the condition must still be good if you did not include it with your recent 'upgrades.' Thanks.
The jubilee bracelet has worked out just fine. I haven't noticed any stretching, although I'm sure it probably has stretched a bit. I have the all stainless bracelet, by the way. I could be wrong, but I believe stretching is more of an issue with the two tone DJs. I'll snap a couple pictures of it when I get home tonight.
Big Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2012, 04:39 PM   #37
pmar124
"TRF" Member

All things being equal, would the new TT Oyster bracelets show wear at the same rate as new TT Jubilee? A certain AD (whom I find quite knowledgable) has told me that the gold center link will show the same stretch symptoms in due time.
Old 14 September 2012, 01:05 AM   #38
Big Tone
"TRF" Member

Here are a couple of pics I took last night of my DJ. I've owned it since 2000, but it dates back to the 80s. It definitely has some stretching, but all in all it's in excellent shape. I mentioned previously the improvements that I made to it over the years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DJ1.jpg (69.2 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg DJ2.jpg (80.3 KB, 150 views)
Old 14 September 2012, 01:54 AM   #39
aria
Banned

Watch: DD,DJ,AK
super jubilee bracelet on newer models will be more sturdy than a norma jubilee l
aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2012, 02:25 AM   #40
wallst
"TRF" Member

I am considering the same purchase, and the replies in this thread have been very helpful! Great to know that the DJ will be able to hold up to daily wear
wallst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2012, 04:21 AM   #41
pmar124
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallst View Post
I am considering the same purchase, and the replies in this thread have been very helpful! Great to know that the DJ will be able to hold up to daily wear
Very good comments from everyone. Reading over the feedback from current owners, makes prospective owners like us, have a bigger decision to make. I am always torn between a DJ or adding another sport model.
Old 14 September 2012, 05:22 AM   #42
mldaytona
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go all out
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
The only difference is the price and water resistance its no tougher.
Yup
mldaytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2012, 06:07 AM   #43
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tone View Post
I've owned my DJ for 12 years now. It was my first luxury watch purchase and I wore it every single day for 12 years. My wife bought me an Omega for our 10-year anniversary (8/31) and I've been wearing that ever since. I've never had any issues with ruggedness. Something else I like about the DJ is you can find so many options to customize it if you choose. When I first bought my DJ it had a plastic crystal, white dial w/ roman numerals and stainless steel fluted bezel. I have the original jubilee bracelet and LOVE it. I have since upgraded the crystal to sapphire, added a custom MOP diamond dial and also added a diamond bezel. I plan on giving this to my son when he graduates from college. He's only 8 now, so I have a few more years ahead of me to enjoy it!
I've heard nothing but negative input about switching from the acrylic to sapphire crystal, but only from people who have not actually done it.

How has it worked for you? Where did you get the crystal?

Thanks!
Old 14 September 2012, 06:16 AM   #44
martin_blank
"TRF" Member

I went from a sub no-date to a 116200 and have no regrets. It felt a little lighter on the wrist at first as you would expect but just as solid.
martin_blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2012, 06:21 AM   #45
Gcampagnone
Banned

Watch: addicted
Why don't you consider a Yatchmaster?
Gcampagnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2012, 06:31 AM   #46
Annan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233
I've been wearing DJs since 1990 and just recently added an Explorer II (16570) as my "sports" watch. It's very tough as well and I now wear it for all my outdoor activities and have been reserving my TT DJ for more formal times. Regardless, as I said in an earlier post, my DJ has seen it all as well and came through beautifully.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2481 (800x600).jpg (59.5 KB, 115 views)
Annan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2012, 06:32 AM   #47
Big Tone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmfnla View Post
I've heard nothing but negative input about switching from the acrylic to sapphire crystal, but only from people who have not actually done it.

How has it worked for you? Where did you get the crystal?

Thanks!
I'm VERY happy with the switch. There's a shop that I go to here in Chicago and the watchmaker is Rolex certified. He does all my servicing and I ordered the crystal through him. IMO the sapphire looks SO much better than the acrylic and I have no regrets for making the switch.
Old 14 September 2012, 06:45 AM   #48
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Thanks!
Old 14 September 2012, 07:04 AM   #49
SALTY
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your Six
My two-cents on the type of crystal: acrylic is easier to polish out minor scratches and will likely not shatter; sapphire is much harder and less prone to scratches though it will be much harder to polish out if scratched. Sapphire will shatter - but it takes alot or, a very carefully placed ding followed by an impact in the weakened area.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages, but sapphire certainly looks better, IMHO, and is very durable.
Old 15 September 2012, 08:03 AM   #50
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod View Post
My two-cents on the type of crystal: acrylic is easier to polish out minor scratches and will likely not shatter; sapphire is much harder and less prone to scratches though it will be much harder to polish out if scratched. Sapphire will shatter - but it takes alot or, a very carefully placed ding followed by an impact in the weakened area.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages, but sapphire certainly looks better, IMHO, and is very durable.
This I knew.

I have heard some people say they prefer the "warmer" look of acrylic.

My concern is it no longer being waterproof.
Old 15 September 2012, 10:04 AM   #51
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6

I have an R serial tt Thunderbird I bought from an AD in 1990, serviced once last December 2011. Absolutely never had any problem with it with any sports activity, to include several years of leisure mountain biking and downhill racing. Also wore it swimming on the beach and pool.
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2012, 10:56 AM   #52
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Plenty of older ones out there doing there thing.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote