The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 22 November 2023, 03:52 PM   #1
yoda888
"TRF" Member

Thinking about a PAM, school me please..

Hi All,
I'm thinking about a PAM01370 that I saw at a local AD this weekend. I've always been curious about PAM but there are too many to go through and I get overwhelmed and move on. This past weekend, a very lovely and patient SA spent some time showing me different PAMs.

The 1370 with a blue dial really caught my eye. This is a 40mm auto. Thoughts on this? Is 40mm worth buying for a PAM, or is it 44+ or forget it?

I have thinner wrists, and a 44 would be a block on my wrist. Also, I'm not a fan of the blue croc strap it comes with. I know it comes with a rubber strap as well, but not sure I'm a fan of that. Do you guys have any strap inspiration shots you can share?

And lastly, price! It retails for $7,800. Based on looking online there's a discount to be had on this. Will an AD deal, or do I need to go elsewhere?

TIA!
yoda888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2023, 12:45 AM   #2
dshin525
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Pepsi
I think fit and comfort is more important than what the actual case size is.
I did had the base PAM 10+ yrs ago. It was 44mm. It looked fine (IMO) on my 6.75 inch wrist...but I just found it to be uncomfortable if I wore it all day. So I sold it within a year.
But last week, I picked up the PAM 919 (Seoul boutique edition...basically the 564 with the sausage and pig dial and engraved case back). It's 44mm but titanium so it feels super light on my wrist. In fact I haven't taken it off since I got it (except to shower) and I have yet to feel any discomfort.
I did make a post about it as well.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=926432
In the past year or so, I did try on smaller PAMs 38 and 40mm and I think they look and wear great. And that is all that matters...not some arbitrary case size.

By the way, I think the 1370 is super sharp. I too am not a fan of the crop strap. I would look for a nice navy shell cordovan strap.

And here us my PAM.
dshin525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2023, 12:59 AM   #3
Joearch
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
Try a few different models on if possible. I started wearing Panerai 15 years ago and most stay with the classics. Currently a 233, 390 and 372. Great watches and good potential for preowned pieces if you know what you’re looking for. Once you have a watch you like the strap options are so much fun. Good luck.
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2023, 02:07 AM   #4
Tri-Tip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
I've been looking at Panerai for about 5 years. Always thought they were cool looking and not many people would know what kind of watch it is.

However, the size turned me off. I have a 40MM Sub and a 42MM Exp II, and the Exp II wears a bit big on me (comfort wise), so I was always turned off by 44MM.

Then I saw one on the website and totally loved it, went to the Panerai store, tried it on and it wore really comfortable. Went back 2 days later and bought it.

Had it for 4+ months now and it's my main watch for daily wear.
Tri-Tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2023, 02:14 AM   #5
shammad10
"TRF" Member

I own the 40mm Panerai you tried on, the Luminor Quaranta, I think it is awesome. Wears perfectly, rugged, durable, looks great.
Wear what fits you, I have a small wrist and a 44+mm watch just looks daft, so the Quaranta was the way to go for me.
shammad10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2023, 07:38 AM   #6
BMess
"TRF" Member

I don’t agree with the “I have thinner wrists” so a 44+ PAM wont fit. I have 6”-6.25” wrists and I wear 47mm PAMs daily.

I would definitely start with a 44mm.
Old 23 November 2023, 07:59 AM   #7
z_charger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor...Panerai?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMess View Post
I don’t agree with the “I have thinner wrists” so a 44+ PAM wont fit. I have 6”-6.25” wrists and I wear 47mm PAMs daily.

I would definitely start with a 44mm.

I agree with this man. I think you should wear what you like. I tried on several different models, 44mm-47mm, and not once did I feel like I had an Invicta on my wrist. And even if I did, I don't care what anyone else thinks. I purchase my watches for me, not someone else.
z_charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2023, 09:33 AM   #8
soho
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Varies
Really like my 512. 42mm on a 6.5 inch wrist. Enjoying now with a cold Sapporo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
soho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2023, 02:01 PM   #9
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
Panerai these days cater to all sizes. So it's really up to you. Im a purist so i go for 44mm and up.

Sent from my SM-A736B using Tapatalk
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2023, 02:32 PM   #10
APhound
"TRF" Member

Thinking about a PAM, school me please..

Panerai is the brand that got me into watches. Love them. Get whatever speaks to you.
I think the 44 and 47 are the best. I have a 42 submersible which sounds like plenty of watch but I actually wish it was a little bigger.
I’d suggest buying used, save some money. That way if you want to trade it for a different one it’s no big deal.

APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2023, 12:37 PM   #11
Saoirse32
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbees319 View Post
Panerai is the brand that got me into watches. Love them. Get whatever speaks to you.
I think the 44 and 47 are the best. I have a 42 submersible which sounds like plenty of watch but I actually wish it was a little bigger.
I’d suggest buying used, save some money. That way if you want to trade it for a different one it’s no big deal.

Great 233!
What’s the strap?

ROLEX Sea-Dweller Mk1 (126600)
ROLEX DeepSea D-Blue (136660)
OMEGA Speedmaster “Silver Snoopy Award” (310.32.42.50.02.001)
OMEGA Seamaster Diver 300M 75th Anniversary (210.30.42.20.03.003)
IWC Chronograph Top Gun Edition “Woodland” (IW389106)
Saoirse32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2023, 02:14 AM   #12
Agamemnon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex - Panerai
I'm a huge Panerai fan and currently own six.
I am not a purist and therefore I appreciate that the brand has made smaller watches to embrace a wider and female audience.
I advise you to buy what you like and what is most comfortable for you.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2023, 11:26 AM   #13
turfmanjon
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I had never tried on a Panerai as thought the sizes sounded massive. But I have a 7.5” flat wrist and can wear larger watches and have had a DSSD, 44mm ROO, etc. I’ve gravitated back to mostly 40mm sizes lately. This past Summer I was in Athens and popped into the boutique when had some free time.

The one that I was drawn to the most was the 40mm Luminor Quaranta. I bought it there and wear it often. It’s become my travel watch when want low key on rubber strap. Then I wear with the leather strap for work meetings. It’s very versatile.

turfmanjon is offline   Reply With Quote