The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 17 November 2008, 03:27 PM   #1
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
How to tell a fake (without holding it)?

It's great to see here how many people can spot fake Rolexes from looking at photos. Presumably, one can also immediately spot a fake from holding it. My question is...how can you tell a fake without holding it? That is, if someone sitting next to you, or across from you, is wearing a fake, how can you tell (unless it's something obvious like gold paint wearing off)? The only clue I can use is how the second hand moves (sweeps versus ticks).
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2008, 03:42 PM   #2
stevemulholland3
Banned

Watch: 1680 18k sub
I recommend you buy a book called the rolex report,that will get you started until I finish my book next year..
stevemulholland3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2008, 04:24 PM   #3
sbakar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemulholland3 View Post
I recommend you buy a book called the rolex report,that will get you started until I finish my book next year..
Are you really writing a book? I'm presuming it's on telling fake Rolexes apart?

SNB
sbakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2008, 04:29 PM   #4
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 DATEJUST41 Sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: Me!!!
I think stevie is writing a book how not to be scammed...and to answer your question its very hard unless its obviously fake...with the constant moving of the hand beside you..a lot of fake Rolex watches out there are AAAAA Grade!!!!
Old 17 November 2008, 07:40 PM   #5
DanP
Banned

Watch: GV-U-Kno-Me :)
one of my bussers at work has a submariner explorer! complete with blue face and bezel
DanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2008, 09:10 PM   #6
ArizonaHD
"TRF" Member

Serial Number F437091... LOL

Well the cheap fakes are easy to spot, but the fakes are getting better and better. Oysterquartz fakes are rare.

What do you define as fake? Real case, back, crown, dial with an ETA 25J movement? Real Movement, dial, crown with a knock off case (ex EXPII)? A Tudor dial conversion?

I guess the real answer to your question is it is easy to spot a cheap swapmeet fake a good fake you might need to open the watch, do research here on TRF
ArizonaHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2008, 09:34 PM   #7
stevemulholland3
Banned

Watch: 1680 18k sub
thats right,it will be about how to safely and securely buy or sell rolex via the internet,but it will have an entire chapter on the best way to spot a fake via pictures-it will cover all of the latest techniques the fakers use etc..etc...
hope you buy it..
stevemulholland3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2008, 01:52 AM   #8
Orchi
Banned

Quote:
thats right,it will be about how to safely and securely buy or sell rolex via the internet,but it will have an entire chapter on the best way to spot a fake via pictures-it will cover all of the latest techniques the fakers use etc..etc...
hope you buy it..
Err buddy Steve...when it becomes available in this part of the world...Orchi would be the 1st to grab it...

All the best to you...!
Orchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2008, 02:11 AM   #9
James T
"TRF" Member

Watch: submariner 16610
it is hard....
Old 18 November 2008, 02:19 AM   #10
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
It's the attention to detail that the copies do not have. There are usually several places that are off, the dial, crown guards and bracelet/endlinks are some of the easiest ways for me. Once you have handled and seen a lot of the orignal, it just makes spotting the fakes easier. What is really hard, is when the seller shows you a real watch and sends the opposite, buying the seller, at times, is just as tough, that's why I stick with established GM sellers or people that I know.
~Scott

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2008, 03:48 AM   #11
Duc-904
"TRF" Member

One of the best ways to spot a fake is to examine the seller. Feedback, other items sold in the past, photo techniques, and willingness to meet up in person. (Pose a question asking if they'll meet at a local AD, even if your on the other side of the country).
Duc-904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2008, 06:28 AM   #12
HockeyBrand

I was at COSTCO this past weekend in Washington State. Right in front of me was some huge 6-foot + dude with a Southern slang as he spoke to the Cashier.

He kept shaking his left wrist trying to have ppl in the lineup notice his black bezeled Submariner.

Not only was the jingling clasp all wrong (he must have bought one of those fakes that use the push pins in the links instead of the higher grade with threaded screw). Hence, this gawdy watch was sized for a 7 footers wrist? What was also obvious is that this cheap looking Crystal was flush to the dial and the date magnifier was weak.

I was wearing my Casio Wave Ceptor watch and I asked my wife if I should ask the dude if he wanted to swap his fake Rollie with my genuine Casio - NOT!

But the whole point was, he kept trying to sell the non-fact he was wearing a GEN to the uninterested crowd-- when it clearly was not.
HockeyBrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2008, 11:46 AM   #13
explodingtaco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
hope you buy it..
Lets hope I dont have your book too late, I just did my first watch buy over the internet for a $1700 brietling. Overseas even.

I did do much checking on the seller (bought the seller) and have pictures of him and his family, compaired his name with the owner of his email domain (same person) and googled his name with no strange hits. I also found him on other more specialized forums talking about himself and the watch that I bought . . . we shall see.
explodingtaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2008, 03:03 PM   #14
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Great. I'm not going to get in the position of buying a fake. I'm happy with what will probably be my only Rolex (ss/platinum YM)...I was curious on how to tell a fake without actually touching the thing (as, presumably it would weigh much less than a genuine Rolex, and the fakery would be obvious)...whether it's a $20 Chinatown fake or one of those "replicas" going for a few hundred bucks on the internet. Looking at how the crystal sits is a good tip.
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2008, 06:28 PM   #15
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 DATEJUST41 Sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: Me!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post
it is hard....
which one james??
Old 18 November 2008, 10:20 PM   #16
explodingtaco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boopie View Post
Great. I'm not going to get in the position of buying a fake. I'm happy with what will probably be my only Rolex (ss/platinum YM)...I was curious on how to tell a fake without actually touching the thing (as, presumably it would weigh much less than a genuine Rolex, and the fakery would be obvious)...whether it's a $20 Chinatown fake or one of those "replicas" going for a few hundred bucks on the internet. Looking at how the crystal sits is a good tip.
Dont assume it will be easy to tell. A good "replica" or fake can be practically indistinguishable. I have held a few fake subs, Most would have looked real in a photo as the good ones had the proper font/magnification/wording/spacing/etc, a couple looked and felt real in my hand. Most could be caught when you opened the crown as they did not have the triple lock gasket or a hackable movement but one of them had both. It would take a rolex pro to have spotted that one, I believe it would have fooled even a rolex watch maker until he/she opened it up.
explodingtaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2008, 11:54 PM   #17
Terry Newton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT GMT II c
Quote:
Originally Posted by explodingtaco View Post
Dont assume it will be easy to tell. A good "replica" or fake can be practically indistinguishable. I have held a few fake subs, Most would have looked real in a photo as the good ones had the proper font/magnification/wording/spacing/etc, a couple looked and felt real in my hand. Most could be caught when you opened the crown as they did not have the triple lock gasket or a hackable movement but one of them had both. It would take a rolex pro to have spotted that one, I believe it would have fooled even a rolex watch maker until he/she opened it up.
I know what you mean. It's hard to make a determination here some times and, unless you are holding it in your hand, some are that good. It's frightening how real some of them are getting to look like.

Terry Newton

"Z" SS Date Submariner
"Z" TT GMT-Master IIc
Terry Newton is offline   Reply With Quote