The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 6 October 2005, 07:56 AM   #1
----

Icon5 Suggestions for my next watch

The YM has to go to help pay for my new PanoReserve, so is off with a goldsmith I know that runs his own business. I hope that he will sell it soon, although I do admit having some last minute reservations as I polished it and boxed it up to get it ready for him to display in his shop. He has people coming to see it, so I do expect it to sell soon.

In fact, my wife (who I had promised I would sell the YM to help with the GO) offered that I could keep the Rolex, but I didn't want to go back on my word as I figured this would doom any future promises I might make in the heat of the moment..... . Also, I feel the need to be Rolex-free at the moment, although I am certainly not ruling out going back to one at some time in the future (sorry, no offense it's just a personal thing at the moment ).

Now I am left with 3 watches:

Seiko 5 - the beater

GO PanoReserve

JLC Master Moon

So, I feel the need to start hunting for my next watch (I love the hunt ). I am torn between some kind of vintage dress watch, such as the AP I posted about a while back, or something more rugged and importantly for me, waterproof. Before anyone offers an Omega, I am just not there yet with anything they have to offer - thanks. Here is my criteria for a sport watch, which I will focus my hunt on for now:

- No bigger than 38mm (okay, no jokes about my wrist John! )
- Stainless steel and on bracelet.
- Waterproof - so screw down crown or something to give me 100M rating.
- Luminous markers/hands.
- Not a chronograph (have no use for it).

Now about the price, which will affect how soon I can buy it......I'm not averse to spending some decent coin on another good level watch, but if there was a less expensive brand out there I would consider it as well. So, can you all put your thinking caps on and put forward your suggestions? I am open to many brands and models, and would appreciate pictures if you have them - but I also reserve the right to not take your advice....

Thanks in advance! Al
Old 6 October 2005, 10:31 PM   #2
Atomic

Al, I'm going to give this serious thought and post a suggestion or two soon.
Old 6 October 2005, 10:45 PM   #3
Mort
"TRF" Member

If you do not want to spend a ton, but want a quality watch, I hear Oris makes some good examples. Their prices are across the board. I do not know if they have screw down crowns.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2005, 03:27 AM   #4
Atomic

Okay, I was going to suggest a Breguet type XX chrono, which is 39.5mm but since you don't want a chrono...

One suggestion would be a JLC Master Compressor Automatique. I don't know the case size, but since the Memovox is like 45mm, I would imagine the Automatique is too big for you too. But worth a look.

I also had in mind an IWC Aquagraph, but they are 41mm, but wow, beautiful watches with the rotating bezel inside the case (and they have a model with orange, lol).

So my main suggestion would be a Blancpain Leman. It's waterproof to 100m and is 38mm. It's available in a wide assortment of dial colours and various complications.

http://www.blancpain.ch/e/collection...&id_gender=Men
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2100_1130M_71_R.jpg (11.8 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by Atomic; 7 October 2005 at 04:38 AM..
Old 7 October 2005, 03:30 AM   #5
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Al,

Remember this is just MY opinion, so no offence should be taken. Sorry to see the Rolex go....so....no Rolex, no comment!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2005, 03:39 AM   #6
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
Al,

Remember this is just MY opinion, so no offence should be taken. Sorry to see the Rolex go....so....no Rolex, no comment!
Old 7 October 2005, 03:43 AM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
As for you, Johnny, if you ever sell your black Exp-II, you've lost me forever!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2005, 05:49 AM   #8
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
As for you, Johnny, if you ever sell your black Exp-II, you've lost me forever!!
Well then in the words of Curly Bill in "Tombstone"....."Well....Bye"

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2005, 05:51 AM   #9
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Hey Al, how about an explorer? They seem to fit your bill and that watch is both classy and sporty. Just a thought.

Old 7 October 2005, 06:53 AM   #10
mamas
"TRF" Member

darren..thats exactley what i was going to suggest..rolex explorer 1..it would fit into your requirements exactley without looking too much like a rolex..another possibility would be a UN 1846 chronmeter or an IWC ingeneuir or iwc utc.
mamas
mamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2005, 07:51 AM   #11
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamas
darren..thats exactley what i was going to suggest..rolex explorer 1..it would fit into your requirements exactley without looking too much like a rolex..another possibility would be a UN 1846 chronmeter or an IWC ingeneuir or iwc utc.
mamas
Well guys, I did say in my first post that I feel the need to be Rolex free at the moment, so although I appreciate the input, I'll pass on another Rolex. It's hard to explain, but I don't want to be a Rolex owner right now....sorry.

UN is a brand that I will look into in more detail, so thanks mamas. I think the IWC's are quite big if I recall......
Old 7 October 2005, 07:55 AM   #12
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic
Okay, I was going to suggest a Breguet type XX chrono, which is 39.5mm but since you don't want a chrono...

One suggestion would be a JLC Master Compressor Automatique. I don't know the case size, but since the Memovox is like 45mm, I would imagine the Automatique is too big for you too. But worth a look.

I also had in mind an IWC Aquagraph, but they are 41mm, but wow, beautiful watches with the rotating bezel inside the case (and they have a model with orange, lol).

So my main suggestion would be a Blancpain Leman. It's waterproof to 100m and is 38mm. It's available in a wide assortment of dial colours and various complications.

http://www.blancpain.ch/e/collection...&id_gender=Men
John - the BP Leman is one that I have already put on my list to look at the next time I'm in Toronto. I was specifically looking at the ultra thin model, as it would fill two roles in my collection, but I wasn't sure how robust it would be..... But, once again we think alike!!
Old 7 October 2005, 08:07 PM   #13
mamas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
Well guys, I did say in my first post that I feel the need to be Rolex free at the moment, so although I appreciate the input, I'll pass on another Rolex. It's hard to explain, but I don't want to be a Rolex owner right now....sorry.

UN is a brand that I will look into in more detail, so thanks mamas. I think the IWC's are quite big if I recall......
Hey avalon.. the two iwc models i have suggested are 38mm i think.. i like the utc one as it has the pilots look with a gmt feature at 1200.
mamas
mamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2005, 08:57 PM   #14
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamas
Hey avalon.. the two iwc models i have suggested are 38mm i think.. i like the utc one as it has the pilots look with a gmt feature at 1200.
mamas
Oh, okay - I'll definitely check those out then. Thanks!!
Old 7 October 2005, 11:26 PM   #15
Atomic

Quote:
John - the BP Leman is one that I have already put on my list to look at the next time I'm in Toronto. I was specifically looking at the ultra thin model, as it would fill two roles in my collection, but I wasn't sure how robust it would be..... But, once again we think alike!!

Funny, I was thinking the ultra thin model would be right up your alley.

I think it would be a fine addition to your modest, yet impressive twosome. I'm not big on dress watches Al, but you have the only two I'd really want to own.
Old 8 October 2005, 01:43 PM   #16
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
It's hard to explain, but I don't want to be a Rolex owner right now....sorry.
Hey Al, I understand what you mean!! So no reason at all to apologise.

Old 13 October 2005, 08:05 AM   #17
----

Update!

So, looking at some of the suggestions made by our helpful crew here, I have the following so far:

Option 1 - IWC Ingeneuir - turns out the "normal" model is 42.5mm, so outside my scope for size. It does have some nice features, such as 120m WR and anti-magnetic inner case, but it's too big and the look reminds me a little bit of an AP Royal Oak (a watch that does nothing for me)...see what you think.

I think it's the holes in the bezel that throw me off here. I looked at the mid-sized, but it's all the way down to 34mm, and does not have the anti-magnetic inner case. Besides, I am trying not to get a small sized watch when there is a normal size available (like my YM) as I think this hurts resale chances down the road.

Option 2 - IWC Spitfire UTC

Not sure I'm keen on the opening in the dial, but it's more my size at 39mm. WR is rated at 60m, so less than what I wanted but enough to not worry about getting it wet. It doesn't really speak to me at all, however (I find this with most IWC's to be honest, but I did give these two serious consideration). Here's that one.

Option 3 - UN 1846 Chronometer

Definitely more my style, and a brand I have been looking at for a while but can never seem to find something I like 100%.

38mm, Auto, 200m WR rating, power reserve indicator. Not sure what movements are used (modified ETA's?) as the only thing I can find on the web is that is has a UN-26 movement.....I'll do more digging on this one, and have it on my list for watches to look at in person on my next watch trek.....

Option 4 - Blancpain Leman Ultra-Slim

High on my list, but not sure how robust the movement will be since it's so thin. 38mm case - perfect, and 100m WR rating. This one is certainly something I will look at.

Option 5 - Blancpain Leman GMT

Has more features than I want (moon phase which I already have on my JLC MM) but has the GMT function which I would use when I'm off on vacation or for some work trips. May be an alternative to the ultra slim and likely more robust under normal (or somewhat hard) use.

38mm case again, and 100m WR rating.

So, if anyone has other options they would like top put forward, please do so. I now have to check out what the ones I like cost, which is a whole other issue......especially for the wife.

Thanks to all who have stepped up to help - I need more options, so keep those suggestions coming please!
Old 13 October 2005, 09:44 AM   #18
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

I am never any help anyways, but I say go for option #1 or 3, they are both BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

Old 13 October 2005, 10:15 AM   #19
baseballduck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
I like the UN myself. It's your choice though. Good luck in it.

Tyler
Member #84
baseballduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2005, 07:34 PM   #20
Earl
"TRF" Member

Watch: out
#4 for sure, has a black or dark dial with lots of lume when I first seen it I thought of an Explorer.
#3 would be my 2nd choice the dial is busy but not so much it distracts from the beauty of the white dial and romans.

Earl
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2005, 09:52 PM   #21
Atomic

I like the Leman (gee did I suggest that? ) and the UN of the ones you posted. In terms of value, the Leman would prove more interesting to me because Blancpain uses in-house movements while the UN (I believe) use modified ETA ebaches. Not that there's anything wrong with ETA, very robust, but UN doesn't IMHO have the same cache as Blancpain.

As for which BP, I'd go with the ultraslim cuz I like the black dial and the lume on the arabics. Since both your JLC and GO are white dial, the BP with the black dial would prove a big change in look and function.

Geez Al, I wish I had your troubles as far as watches were concerned.