The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 20 March 2006, 09:02 AM   #1
----

Project Watch version 2.0

So, I recently began the process of going through the TZ Watch School's 2nd and final level (there was supposed to be a level 3 but it never happened).

This time the movement is an auto-wind with day and date functions, both quick change. So, definitely step up from the manual wind time only watches I have worked on so far.

Here is a view of the ETA 2836-2 from the day/date side:

And here is a view while I was preparing to take the auto-wind rotor and gears off:

One thing we did here that we didn't in the last course was take the mainspring out of the barrel. I followed the instructions (including those that warned you should wear eye protection) and managed to get the mainspring out of the barrel, but in a rather "rapid" fashion......it basically flew apart.

So, after cleaning all the movment parts, it was time today to sit down and start the reassembly of the movement. The first item to tackle was putting the mainspring back in the barrel. Since I had such difficulties controlling things when I took it apart, I was not looking forward to trying to fit this spring back in the rather small barrel (not small by watch standards, but just generally a lot to fit into a small space).

Here is the barrel with the cap removed, the spring out and lying on the bench, and the arbour removed:

The spring is obvious, and the barrel and cover are on either side of the spring, and the arbour is the small dot in the upper portion of the photo. Note the tail on the end of the spring - it gets wound under the first coil to provide force to the barrel for the braking/ratcheting function.

After adding some grease to the barrel inside diameter for braking, I started inserting the spring back in.....since I don't have a mainspring winder (a crank mechanism that winds it up) I fed in in by hand. It was more difficult than I imagined!

First I had to get that tail in, and bend the spring back against in natural curve, and keep it in the barrel. After a couple of attempts I managed to get a couple of coils in, and the snapped this picture:

Shortly after that, I let up on the pressure just a smidge, and the spring let loose again, and the barrel went flying! Arrrrgh!

So, back to get it started again (after I found it - it flew across the room, went through a fern, hit a chair, and then bounced back - total travel was at least 30 feet!). This time I held on a bit more tightly, and when I had a bit more spring in, I snapped another shot:

So, kept winding, all the time putting pressure on it to keep the spring inside the barrel - getting close now:

And finally, success!

Then to put the arbour in, and rotate it carefully so it "catches" a notch in the spring, and it's ready for some oil:

After oiling the inside of the spring, I placed the cap on, and it's complete!

All this took me close to an hour! My hands were cramping from holding that little bugger in the barrel. Soon I will be putting the whole movement back together, so I'll update you as I get closer to the end.

Thanks for reading.
Old 20 March 2006, 09:10 AM   #2
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Thanks for sharing Al, this is really neat to see you going through this process.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2006, 02:02 PM   #3
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Great pics and great story, Al. Thanks for the watch making lesson. I look forward to seeing the rest of the story.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2006, 02:28 PM   #4
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Al, that's awesome It looks like it takes a lot of patience and perseverance to to that, my hats off to you Getting to see the intricate inner-workings of a mechanical watch the way we can in your photos really substantiates my fascination with them. It's a part of watches a lot of don't get to see. Thanks for sharing it with us
Old 20 March 2006, 02:43 PM   #5
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J.
It's a part of watches a lot of don't get to see. Thanks for sharing it with us
You could see it if you got a watch with an exhibition back Craig, I know of a few brands that make them.

Old 20 March 2006, 02:47 PM   #6
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
You could see it if you got a watch with an exhibition back Craig, I know of a few brands that make them.
Go ahead, throw a drowning man a glass of water
Old 20 March 2006, 02:49 PM   #7
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Go ahead, throw a drowning man a glass of water
ROTFLMHAWAIIANAO!! Dude that was a great line.

Old 20 March 2006, 04:20 PM   #8
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Good one, Al....quite the patience and skill you have there! Well done!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2006, 07:29 PM   #9
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Excellent pictures Al that 2836 is a great all round movement.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2006, 12:07 AM   #10
Atomic

Hey Al, great work. Thanks for the tutorial. I look forward to taking this in the near future. BTW, it kinda reminds me of the time I took apart my Campagnolo Record 'freehub' off my bike. Eight cogs and hundreds of bearings and springs... Man-o-man... I thought it would take about an hour to remove, repack and preplace everything. It ended up taking me almost six hours. BTW, having the proper tools makes a world of difference.
Old 21 March 2006, 02:00 AM   #11
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic
Hey Al, great work. Thanks for the tutorial. I look forward to taking this in the near future. BTW, it kinda reminds me of the time I took apart my Campagnolo Record 'freehub' off my bike. Eight cogs and hundreds of bearings and springs... Man-o-man... I thought it would take about an hour to remove, repack and preplace everything. It ended up taking me almost six hours. BTW, having the proper tools makes a world of difference.
Or directions to the bike shop
Old 21 March 2006, 02:10 AM   #12
Atomic

Quote:
Or directions to the bike shop
I'm actually a cracker-jack bicycle mechanic and honestly didn't think it would be as difficult as it turned out. Taking it to a shop would be admitting defeat. Besides, it was the saturday night before a big sunday ride. While I have another bike waiting in the wings, this one is my preference, so it HAD to get done. Most of the time was wasted holding little springs in place (this is where having the proper tools comes in handy).

One thing is sure, I don't want to do that repair again. I'd rather pay a 'professional' to waste his time with it. LOL
Old 21 March 2006, 02:16 AM   #13
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm actually a cracker-jack bicycle mechanic and honestly didn't think it would be as difficult as it turned out. Taking it to a shop would be admitting defeat. Besides, it was the saturday night before a big sunday ride. While I have another bike waiting in the wings, this one is my preference, so it HAD to get done. Most of the time was wasted holding little springs in place (this is where having the proper tools comes in handy).

One thing is sure, I don't want to do that repair again. I'd rather pay a 'professional' to waste his time with it. LOL
Outside of changing a tire, I'm well out of my league I can turn a quality road bike into a Huffy in no time
Old 21 March 2006, 02:19 AM   #14
Atomic

Quote:
Outside of changing a tire, I'm well out of my league I can turn a quality road bike into a Huffy in no time

I can do a wheel change in under 10 seconds (was unofficial tech support to the Canadian Olympic team in '96 at Atlanta) and can do anything but build wheels - which I don't have the patience for).

But I remember Greg Lemond rode at least one professional season on rebadged Huffy bikes (I'm sure they were all custom made and megabux), but that really told me Lemond was a sellout.
Old 21 March 2006, 02:23 AM   #15
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I can do a wheel change in under 10 seconds (was unofficial tech support to the Canadian Olympic team in '96 at Atlanta) and can do anything but build wheels - which I don't have the patience for).

But I remember Greg Lemond rode at least one professional season on rebadged Huffy bikes (I'm sure they were all custom made and megabux), but that really told me Lemond was a sellout.
No, I'm sure he chose them for their long standing quality and performance in professional level races
Old 21 March 2006, 02:25 AM   #16
Atomic

Quote:
No, I'm sure he chose them for their long standing quality and performance in professional level races
You're right... what was I thinking?
Old 21 March 2006, 05:46 AM   #17
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You're right... what was I thinking?
Lance Armstrong rode a huffy in one of the tours, or was that the Schwinn Rolling Rock Cruiser fitted with the new coaster brake technology