The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 17 July 2006, 01:53 AM   #1
----

TZ Watch School Update

It’s been a while since I posted anything on my TZ Watch School Level 2 project, so I thought I would post an update. I find during the summer I don’t have a lot of time to work on this, but have been plugging away when I can. If you recall, the movement I’m working on is an ETA 2836-2, complete with day, date, and automatic winding complications:

As with the first level, the first thing I did was tear the watch down into its component parts. Unlike the first level, the next step was to clean everything. I have struggled to find a good substitute for proper watch cleaning solutions (those offered at the same place the TZ kits are will not ship across the border to Canada) and after a few attempts with various things, I’ve settled on diluted ammonia for the main washing, then rinse, then pure alcohol for the final wash. This seems to work well so far. I will eventually have time to track down proper solutions in Canada.

Here are some shots of everything in pieces:

Then the task of putting the movement back together began, and in level 1 this was a fairly simple and relatively quick exercise. In level 2, you are lubricating the movement as you go, and this is no where near as easy as it sounds. This is a whole other skill that has to be learned. Applying the right type and amount of lubricant is critical to the proper operation and longevity of the movement. Since an entire movement such as this can be lubricated with less than one full drop of oil, the main difficulty is splitting that drop into very small parts.

It isn’t really possible to pick up a bunch of oil on the oiler, and only deposit ½ of it on the part. Whatever is picked up by the oiler will be transferred to the part when you touch the oiler to the movement, so picking up the right amount from the oil cup is the key. I actually have to wear one of the loupes to see clearly how far I am sticking the oiler into the oil in the cups. So, between honing this skill (which is not quite “there” yet for me) and switching between several different lubricants, the lubricating and assembly took me far longer than anticipated. Here are pics of the cups and oils used:

One of the first places I started was the main spring. Here are some pictures of the spring when out of the barrel, and some as I tried (several times) to get it back in without the use of any tools dedicated to that purpose (the tools do exist but I don’t own them….yet). It was a chore, and required a lot of finger pressure on a small area, but eventually it was in.

Then I moved onto the remainder of the movement. Most of the base movement is pretty straightforward, and the calendar and auto-winding modules are sort of stuck on after the base portion is mostly assembled.

Then came the auto-winding and calendar functions. There are sub-plates, levers, cams, and a host of various parts that must interact with each other. At times I was unsure what some parts did, and didn’t force myself to a level of complete understanding before moving on. I’m sure I will regret that later. ;-) These shots are of the auto-winding mechanism:

Here are some pictures of the calendar mechanism going back on, and a short video showing a test of the quick change day/date:

http://media.putfile.com/Date-92

What remains is the verifying of the work, and then the casing of the movement. I have wound the watch and it works, but without hands it is a bit tough to get a feel for accuracy….. The watch ran for 2 days so the power reserve seems fine, and the day/date changed fine as well. One concern that struck me right off was the force required to manually wind the mainspring – it seemed quite heavy. I also noticed that the rotor does not move very freely, so I have a feeling that I might be digging into this one again.

Oh well, it's all a learning experience anyway!

As an aside I am trying to spread the mechanical watch disease to my oldest nephew. I plan to give this watch to him as a Christmas present. I already gave my youngest nephew my older Seiko 5, so I’m doing my best to get the family involved!

Thanks for reading!
Old 17 July 2006, 02:25 AM   #2
Rodentman
Banned

Thank you for sharing your experience. Hopefully someday I will get to learn more about watch movements!
Rodentman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2006, 02:32 AM   #3
sheldonsmith
2024 Pledge Member

Icon3 Great Post...

Avalon,

Great post. I am starting on Level II (just started it last week). I hope to have it complete during the summer.

Thanks for posting!. I might have to consult you when I run into a bind....

-Sheldon

Attached is my Level I completed photo...

sheldonsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2006, 03:21 AM   #4
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Great post, Al. Thanks for sharing it I looked it up after Sheldon posted his thread on it a little while back. It's something I would really like to do someday when I can find enough time to dedicate to it
Old 17 July 2006, 03:54 AM   #5
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J. View Post
Great post, Al. Thanks for sharing it I looked it up after Sheldon posted his thread on it a little while back. It's something I would really like to do someday when I can find enough time to dedicate to it
You can't fry a friggin' egg....so I can't imagine what you'd do with all those little bits and pieces, you tosser!!

Great show, Al....superb pics and some very honest dedication into the subject. I appreciate and admire that!! Excellent!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2006, 07:34 PM   #6
mailman
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Excellent post and info Al. That's very impressive and something to be proud of. Thanks for sharing.
mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2006, 10:59 PM   #7
Atomic

Very nice post Al. Did posting take as long as putting the movement back together?
Old 17 July 2006, 11:25 PM   #8
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Great thread, Al. Thank you for sharing this with the rest of us. It may give other people the impetus to take up the hobby. Keep us posted on further developments. Cant't wait to see the finished product.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2006, 04:25 AM   #9
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic View Post
Very nice post Al. Did posting take as long as putting the movement back together?

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote