The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 9 May 2015, 08:49 PM   #61
bitfield
"TRF" Member

bitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2015, 12:55 AM   #62
Maess
"TRF" Member

The only thing I wish I had on my new Explorer I is AR coating. Any thoughts on why this is not an option for a 'sports' watch like this?
Maess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2015, 01:28 AM   #63
jhe888
"TRF" Member

I really like mine.

Anti reflective coatings would be a worthy upgrade.
jhe888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2015, 10:23 PM   #64
kennethcooke
"TRF" Member

The Explorer 1 is steeped in history going back to it being worn by Sherpa Tensing Norgay when he summited Everest with Edmund Hillary, who wore a Smith's Everest. As someone who has had a passion for all things mountain, I was attracted to this watch many years back. I have had 3, the first being a Plexiglass model. Sadly, Rolex have decided to increase the size and bulk of the Explorer 1 so I recently bought an Explorer II white face, red GMT hand 40mm which is a wonderful purchase and in new/ old stock condition with a 2 year warranty. You seemed quite negative in your review, if you don't mind me saying so. I feel very grateful that I am able to afford such a fine timepiece as well as my other watch which is a JLC Duo Time, so I guess I am doubly fortunate I have always considered the Explorer II which there again has a rich mountaineering history and worn by Reinhold Messner, the brilliant Italian Alpinist when he first climbed Everest without the aid of bottled oxygen. His climbing partner on that trip was the Austrian Peter Habeler who sadly suffered mild brain damage due to the length of time that they spent over 8,000m. For what it is worth he also wore a Rolex Oyster Quartz. I might get another Explorer 1 one day, but a Plexiglass version would be the order of the day, maybe, who knows
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexiva View Post
One year ago and for some months I was shopping for a new daily wearer that would assist me in answering that question: “Hey man, what time is it?” To wear from suit to sea, peak to opera house was the thinking. Legibility, durability, distinctive but not flashy were among the criteria. Some previous watches included a 1997 Victorinox GMT (still going strong); a titanium Tissot One-Touch (binned it—what a piece of junk); and, a 1956 Bulova (still great condition but gold and small-size limit its range for sure). A Rolex was new ground for me.

And some months spanned before I began to better appreciate the Rolex line to include especially the Explorer I. Rolex appeared more to be “old man watches” (sorry) or too much a trophy. Less keen about polished steel, the Explorer I appeared too shiny at first. Polished bezel, shiny numbers—what “explorer” would wear that watch to even the Marriott in Kathmandu? I thought the Arabic numbers were overly odd and large. At least with a Panerai (112 or 176) there is the 12 o’clock digit to provide continuity around the dial. Legacy of the Explorer I held in suspicion.

What I did appreciate about the Explorer I from the get-go was the fit on my wrist. Only an older (1978) Submariner no-date felt as comfortable and symmetrical. I tried to warm to the Explorer II given the brushed steel bezel and return to the original “Steve McQueen” maxi dial. White was too pale and the white gold rimming the markers on the Black was too distracting. The new Explorer II also felt too top heavy on my wrist. I also tried the new Omega Planet Ocean (8500 movement), Blancpain’s 50 Fathoms, and several Panerai. Being less inclined towards the Diver tradition and more to the mountains, the dive watches were less appealing. There also appeared the tendency for many watches to be up-sized, to be a trophy of sorts rather than a simple, rugged, and versatile timepiece.

On that point this Explorer I does appear somewhat bloated on my 7-inch plus wrist. I would hasten to have a watch any thicker. This Explorer I is heavier than I expected, but maybe that weight is necessary given the movement’s upgrades to include durability to shocks.

The bracelet is of course first rate and “scratch magnet” it is not! I love the easy link extension. That is practicality to the maximum when it comes to wearing daily.

The above were the initial impressions after wearing the watch for three months. One year later I wear this watch all-the-time. And after shopping for a second watch (a mental disease to be sure) gave me additional perspective on this Explorer I.

The Dial
The applied dial markings provide sufficient depth to always add interest and depth to a dial color I otherwise consider monochrome and uninteresting. Perhaps this understated style but depth in quality is part of what can make the Rolex sport watch line continually attractive.

I considered the critique of the minute hand being a tad short-- being a design flaw in other words. I wondered at times why did Rolex not go with the conventional longer minute hand. Did the Rolex designers simply screw up? While no horologist I tend to think the minute hand’s length was very deliberate on the part of Rolex. For one, the white luminous portion of the minute hand exactly align with the luminous portion of minute markers. More significantly, the length of the minute hand may very well be a tribute to the previous generation (and smaller dial) Explorer I. From a distance, especially when worn when passing a full length mirror—say, in a gym—the minute marker does look distinctively short, but to be longer would make the watch look like any other plain faced watch, maybe even a pilot’s watch (yikes). The short minute hand keeps the look swift, sufficient, and compact, keeping linkages to its 36mm predecessor. My theory for your consideration.

The dial is helpfully legible even when peering for the time at an angle. That the Arabic numbers are not luminous makes getting the time right at night because that gap in luminosity helps ensure I am reading the dial correctly. The luminosity is just enough to tell the time without making time at ungodly hour too imperative. During the day the Arabic numerals are similarly useful as there is less chance of mistaking seven for eight o’clock, ten for eleven o’clock, etc. when wanting to know the time at a quick glance.

A watch without complications means a watch that underscores simplicity and what is important. The lack of a date demonstrates that the day does not matter but the moment. A wise man once said: “the most important place is where you are right now.” If you agree then a GMT function only is helpful if it is very legible and in no way distracts from informing you about the most important place: where you are standing. If traveling across time zones and even datelines, the Explorer I makes all simple: just change the time and keep going.

The Bracelet
Only after searching for a complement to this watch did I again come back to relishing the bracelet of this 214270. Cold of winter, humidity of summer, right out of the shower, quintessentially comfortable and sufficiently adjustable for 24+ hours, awake or asleep, consisting of metal that for some reason is just plain enriching on the skin of my wrist, are among the hallmarks of this bracelet. Of additional note are the solid pins that will better resist the reported stretching incurred in previous generation bracelets.

The Movement
Hah! I know nothing of movements except what everyone else says and I like the idea that this watch will keep ticking for years without the hood needing to be lifted. Additionally helpful is that I can leave the watch off over a weekend and it will still be ticking Monday AM.

General Construction and Aesthetics
I have had my share of Timexes, advertised to “take a licking and keep on ticking”(!) and that of course resonates better as advertising than reality; whereas, this Rolex is rock-solid. Clunking someone over the head with this seemingly modest sized watch (by today’s trends) would really hurt! And I have yet to understand the attraction of a transparent caseback. It would probably reduce the resiliency of the case. Besides, I seldom look at the back of this watch (because I am wearing it) and glad that Rolex and this Explorer I have stayed away from that crystal case back trend.

Conclusion One Year Later.
I’m keeping it.
The blue bezel GMT and recently released watches by other manufacturers have enticed me to ponder trading in this Explorer I. Yet, I keep coming back to this watch. The combination of quality, understated disposition, legibility, potential range of wear, and legacy make this watch a relief in a world that can otherwise be complex. Moreover I have yet to see anyone else wearing the Explorer I. Datejust, Panerai, Submariner abound, while the Explorer I stands alone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture.jpg (86.3 KB, 1504 views)
File Type: jpg 901932_357408707711569_873692176_o.jpg (148.0 KB, 1535 views)
kennethcooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2015, 10:30 PM   #65
kennethcooke
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhe888 View Post
I really like mine.

Anti reflective coatings would be a worthy upgrade.
Anti reflective coating, indeed. The Explorer 1 is a tool designed to take the hammers and knocks on the hill.
kennethcooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2015, 11:45 PM   #66
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Great review...and watch.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2015, 05:52 PM   #67
Rolexiva
"TRF" Member

Did not know Reinhold prolifically wore original gen of the Explorer II!

http://rolexblog.blogspot.com/2009/0...r-mark-ii.html

Great add!
Rolexiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2015, 05:24 PM   #68
charleslin
"TRF" Member

Great review, really love E1 and hoping to get one soon! Love the clean and understated look.
charleslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2015, 03:30 AM   #69
rolexmanhdung
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpiccinin View Post
Nice review.
My explorer 1
I love it
rolexmanhdung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2015, 05:49 AM   #70
toomuchtalk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethcooke View Post
The Explorer 1 is steeped in history going back to it being worn by Sherpa Tensing Norgay when he summited Everest with Edmund Hillary, who wore a Smith's Everest. As someone who has had a passion for all things mountain, I was attracted to this watch many years back. I have had 3, the first being a Plexiglass model. Sadly, Rolex have decided to increase the size and bulk of the Explorer 1 so I recently bought an Explorer II white face, red GMT hand 40mm which is a wonderful purchase and in new/ old stock condition with a 2 year warranty. You seemed quite negative in your review, if you don't mind me saying so. I feel very grateful that I am able to afford such a fine timepiece as well as my other watch which is a JLC Duo Time, so I guess I am doubly fortunate I have always considered the Explorer II which there again has a rich mountaineering history and worn by Reinhold Messner, the brilliant Italian Alpinist when he first climbed Everest without the aid of bottled oxygen. His climbing partner on that trip was the Austrian Peter Habeler who sadly suffered mild brain damage due to the length of time that they spent over 8,000m. For what it is worth he also wore a Rolex Oyster Quartz. I might get another Explorer 1 one day, but a Plexiglass version would be the order of the day, maybe, who knows
Well said!
toomuchtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2015, 11:53 PM   #71
Bfd70
"TRF" Member

I have to agree with the request for AR. I often times find I need to move the watch around to check the time when in direct sun.
Bfd70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2015, 04:35 PM   #72
Matt748
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Very cool review
I love mine. Such flexibility to be able to wear it in all occasions
Matt748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2015, 09:19 AM   #73
Agrippa
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655
Excellent review. Thanks
Agrippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2015, 08:54 PM   #74
bogratful
"TRF" Member

Watch: OMEGA MOONWATCH
rolex explorer

as far as i know it wasnt the explorer 3 6 9 up mount everest . it was the oyster perpetual , think the explorer came out soon after they descended everest.
bogratful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2015, 09:13 PM   #75
bogratful
"TRF" Member

Watch: OMEGA MOONWATCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchtalk View Post
Well said!
hi there from what ive read the explorer was not the watch up everest but a simple oyster perpetual , think they brought the explorer out to commemerate the feat.
bogratful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2015, 02:32 PM   #76
Fouroeight
"TRF" Member

Been lurking for a while and decided I have to have a explorer.
Fouroeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2015, 03:09 AM   #77
MikeMc
"TRF" Member

Watch: own 18 watches
Rolex is starting to put on Anti-reflective coating on their sapphire crystals. They sent this announcement to our watchmaker. I'm not sure when the complete conversion will take place. It may only be on the inside, as a concern is that the AR coating will scratch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MikeMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2015, 12:44 AM   #78
perpetual92
"TRF" Member

Considering getting an Explorer and tried on one in NYC the other day. Such a comfortable watch !!!

But... It does seem a bit reflecting off the crystal. My '93 datejust does not seem to throw off as much glare. I was wearing that so it was easy to compare.

Is the glare issue a non issue in reality? The idea of AR coating on the inside seems like a very sensible change. Any thoughts? Any accurate info on when the AR coating may work its way into distribution with the Explorer ??

Hard to hold off from buying one !! My old Datejust needs a sibling.
perpetual92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2015, 10:55 AM   #79
Adamkerr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetual92 View Post
Considering getting an Explorer and tried on one in NYC the other day. Such a comfortable watch !!!

But... It does seem a bit reflecting off the crystal. My '93 datejust does not seem to throw off as much glare. I was wearing that so it was easy to compare.

Is the glare issue a non issue in reality? The idea of AR coating on the inside seems like a very sensible change. Any thoughts? Any accurate info on when the AR coating may work its way into distribution with the Explorer ??

Hard to hold off from buying one !! My old Datejust needs a sibling.
Don't post much, just a lurker but after about a year with my Explorer, wearing it every day, I never noticed glare interfering with checking the time.
Adamkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2015, 09:13 PM   #80
perpetual92
"TRF" Member

Ok- thanks. I figure the AR coating is a good to have and not a total loss without it. But, Rolex should be putting it on the underside. Afterall, part of the rolex is seeing a nice dial clearly.
perpetual92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2015, 09:59 PM   #81
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Old 23 December 2015, 04:21 PM   #82
Dambuster
"TRF" Member

This post was to a large extent what made me gravitate towards the 214270. This is my first Rolex and all i have to say is that its perhaps the definition of a sports watch....

Thank you very much .
Dambuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2016, 08:03 PM   #83
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Rolex Explorer I 39mm 214270 One Year Later: A Review

Great review, thanks for sharing! Recently acquire mine, very versatile watch!

Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2016, 09:04 AM   #84
WatchWatchers
"TRF" Member

WatchWatchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2016, 10:07 PM   #85
RHJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 Mk1
yes, the 214270 is the perfect every day watch. very nice review and i agree completely! thanks
RHJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2016, 12:01 AM   #86
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
Great review, thanks for sharing! Recently acquire mine, very versatile watch!
As a follow-up to my post, I have since switched from the 39 mm to the 36 mm size as preferred the proportions of the original size; anyway for those who liked the bigger 39 mm size the 214270 is hard to beat as a great under the radar watch!
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2016, 01:24 AM   #87
m1911a1
Banned

Watch: 42mm Explorer-II's
For sake of full-disclosure I've owned the Submariner and 40mm Explorer-II both gifted to daughters) and currently own a pair of 42mm Explorer-II's.

That being said, I think the 39mm Explorer-I is the coolest watch available.
If it was 42mm I'm sure I'd own a pair.

Even though I LOVE my Ex-2's with more complications, crown-guard, etc....
I think LESS-is-MORE.....and would be perfectly happy with only the Ex-1 for a lifetime.

I like it WAY more than all of the other blingy offerings....Precious-Metals, Daytona, GMT's, and Subs.

The Ex-1 is a PERFECT watch.....
m1911a1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2016, 11:04 PM   #88
Rolex fan 61
"TRF" Member

The 2016 updated version looks even better IMO, hopefully my next rolex.
Rolex fan 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2016, 10:07 AM   #89
zein21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex fan 61 View Post
The 2016 updated version looks even better IMO, hopefully my next rolex.
Both have their own character. I've own the old one but it definitely need to see their 2016 sibling in a wrist
zein21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2016, 01:13 AM   #90
Holzhand
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zein21 View Post
Both have their own character. I've own the old one but it definitely need to see their 2016 sibling in a wrist
I own the current version as the "legendary short handed version" that was build, from a Rolex perspective, awhile only. I will definitely keep it!

Gesendet von meinem SM-G900F mit Tapatalk
Holzhand is offline   Reply With Quote