The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 21 January 2019, 02:28 AM   #91
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastGC View Post
Still trying to figure out how this guy is famous? and why?
Dunno .................
Old 21 January 2019, 02:35 AM   #92
Greenwich Mean Time
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Based on the young people I've gotten to know through my kids, I don't think Rolex has anything to worry about. If anything, their business will grow faster.
Greenwich Mean Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 02:40 AM   #93
Royalex
"TRF" Member

A watch now a day is not just a piece that tell the time, it turns to be a jewelly to show the wearer's characteristic.
Royalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 02:43 AM   #94
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Back in the 70s we had this same debate, as to how LED watches would kill the industry. We all know how that went...

My take is that, the fact that millennials and, the latest generations are wearing wrist watches at all (afterall we all now have phones) means the wrist bearing timepiece is here to stay. Invariably, because this the case, all these youngsters will eventually want a status symbol on their wrist. We should only worry when the latest generation stops wearing any form of wrist watch :)
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 02:44 AM   #95
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector
Yes, the younger generations already are interested, and will continue to be. Social media circumvents the brands and image they portray (wealth, sophistication, affluent lifestyle, etc) which is a big influence. I think more youth today are exposed to Rolex, Patek, AP, and other high end watch brands more than my generation (I’m 39) thanks to social media.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10klakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 02:48 AM   #96
R G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastGC View Post
Still trying to figure out how this guy is famous? and why?

Let’s face it. These days it doesn’t take much.

Famous isn’t the same word anymore, sadly.
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 02:56 AM   #97
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
I think Apple watches and Fitbits and other smart watches may actually HELP the luxury watch market down the road rather than hurting it. Young people had been moving away from wearing watches at all for many years before the smart watches gained a foothold. Many of these people who previously may have never even considered getting a watch of any kind at any point in their lives may now look to replace their smart watches with Rolex and other luxury timepieces when their age and income advance. Besides that, Rolex will always been seen as a status symbol and no smart watch that is worn by 13 year old girls ever will rise to that level.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 02:59 AM   #98
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
Not many of these kids are into real watches, they love the apple watches but those who grow up with parents that enjoy fine timepieces will probably be into them.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 03:05 AM   #99
richard371
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
I know a lot of people of all ages and don’t know anyone under 30 that cares about mechanicals. They all wear Apple or nothing.
richard371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 03:08 AM   #100
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

I think the mechanical watch industry as a whole will suffer due to the emergence of wearable tech.

That said, established luxury brand names (Rolex, Patek) should do fine because they are a status symbol. People will still buy them to convey status and wealth.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 03:22 AM   #101
Maiden
"TRF" Member

Based on my anecdotal experience with nieces, nephews, and children in my life the answer would be no. None of them seem to be wearing or even interested in a watch.

Personally I think it is possible the "shortage" we are seeing is Rolex ramping up exclusivity, so when the day comes where there are fewer customers, and they only sell half the watches they produce now, the niche buyer in the future will want a Rolex.

Or I could be totally wrong.
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 03:33 AM   #102
replicator
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP
Interesting topic. Tech products have a short lifespan. We’re completely and utterly surrounded by technology, I think there is even more of a draw to mechanical timepieces.

Wearing timepiece like a Rolex has appeal in that it is timeless and not influenced by fad trends that come and go. The current sub, dd, daytona models have not changed much since inception. I see rising interest in younger folks to acquire these timepieces, not less.
replicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 03:52 AM   #103
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
I think they're here to stay. As a younger person on the forum I definitely notice people my age becoming more interested in nicer watches. IG is helping a lot too and the celebrities and athletes younger people look up to are still flaunting their Rolex.

Someone mentioned earlier that the apple watch is more of a gateway into watches and I tend to agree.

I also want to add when I was younger (teenage years and early 20s) I had absolutely no interest in watches. Never wore one and didn't care to. In the army the only reason I wore one when not in the field was because my CO wanted everyone in the company to wear a watch at all times. Then I got out and I wanted to buy myself a little something with the money I had saved up and here I am 5 years later.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 04:10 AM   #104
Bigblu10
Banned

The opinions on this forum are skewed and biased because we are all watch aficionados. We only represent a very small percentage of the population of the world. Watches in general whether they be Swiss, Quartz or whatever are slowly but surely going extinct just like the dinosaur did. All you have to do is observe crowds of people wherever there are many. I personally see many smart watches and many wrists with no watch. Let's face it, when pocket watches and wrist watches were competing for existence, the time was not displayed everywhere you look as it is now. My daughter who is almost 13 still cannot accurately tell the time on an analog clock or watch with hands. Of course no problem with the digital always on display of the time on her phone. She has no interest in a watch, period. And I can tell you she is not any different than millions of other kids. Watches will become a bigger rarity and novelty as time passes by. All you have to do is look at companies like Harley-Davidson and their struggles to entice the younger generations to buy luxury 30K motorcycles and you will see the writing is on the wall.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 04:29 AM   #105
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
The opinions on this forum are skewed and biased because we are all watch aficionados. We only represent a very small percentage of the population of the world. Watches in general whether they be Swiss, Quartz or whatever are slowly but surely going extinct just like the dinosaur did. All you have to do is observe crowds of people wherever there are many. I personally see many smart watches and many wrists with no watch. Let's face it, when pocket watches and wrist watches were competing for existence, the time was not displayed everywhere you look as it is now. My daughter who is almost 13 still cannot accurately tell the time on an analog clock or watch with hands. Of course no problem with the digital always on display of the time on her phone. She has no interest in a watch, period. And I can tell you she is not any different than millions of other kids. Watches will become a bigger rarity and novelty as time passes by. All you have to do is look at companies like Harley-Davidson and their struggles to entice the younger generations to buy luxury 30K motorcycles and you will see the writing is on the wall.
i don't think most kids in their teens will care about luxury watches. they're all too busy flexing with sneakers and designer clothing. i think its something that happens when you get into your 20s and start your career. regarding the motorcycle analogy, i don't think its the best one to make. music and athletes do a lot of free promoting for luxury brands (and cars) but not motorcycles. motorcycles are a much more niche market, especially harleys. you follow these famous people on instagram and all you see is gucci, lv, other designer clothing and expensive cars and watches. i have yet to see anything with motorcycles to be honest so of course the younger generations have no exposure to something like harleys
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 04:57 AM   #106
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I'm 28 and yes people in my generation are interested in Rolex. The bigger issue is for luxury watches as a whole. I'm a watch lover; however, many people my age just see it as a luxury status symbol and therefore Rolex is the go to dream.

I see the overall watch industry having major problems in the future but Rolex will survive as a niche. Rolex is transcendent.

One of my buddies who is ex-military and a pilot rocks a Breitling which is breath of fresh air. I hope other brands can find success and survive so we can have variety. I guess I'm a bit of a hypocrite in loving Rolex over any other brand but I have my reasons way beyond its status.

EDIT: I know people around my age who own Rolex and still use their phone to check their time when they have the watch on their wrist. I think this says a lot.
007_Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 07:18 AM   #107
bradyb
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Tell your little snowflakes that mechanical watches are eco-friendly (no batteries) and that Rolex is a non-profit. That might help get them interested.

Seriously though, there will always be a percentage of kids that love watches - and especially mechanical watches.

I think I was about 6 when I started taking apart my grandparent's old mechanical pocket and wristwatches. But I was also into my sweet Casio calculator watch, so both can coexist just fine!
bradyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 07:37 AM   #108
MoosicPa
"TRF" Member

Watch: King Midas & Subma
Rolex is very popular with the teen scene, and heres why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwk5OUII9Vc

and even the younger crowd....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIvvtdFq7Go
MoosicPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 07:42 AM   #109
exador
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by timedate View Post
djokovic and federer are doing a hell of a lot for their respective brands, driving sales and building the brands.

these superstars are coming to the end of their careers,

where are the next generation of tennis greats? you always had them coming through in the past.
Stefanos Tsitsipas
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 09:32 AM   #110
joshrai
"TRF" Member

Young guy here...my friends all love watches and look forward to having one when they hit certain milestones in their career. We also all have apple watches, but there is a difference and even us millennials know it
joshrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 10:56 AM   #111
Late
"TRF" Member

Watch: space too short
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexReviews View Post
Had a conversation with a few buddies of mine and would like to hear these forums thoughts on the matter.

Incase I didn't make it clear with the title let me say this, will a 18 to 28 year old be interested in Rolex Watches let's say in the year 2030?
Most Gen-Xers are not interested in Rolex watches. Not all that many Boomers were either. It doesn't take all that many.

Porsche hasn't been relevant in a very long time. I graduated in 1983; in that year the Porsche 911 SC was 0-60 in 7.0 seconds, the Porsche 944 was 9.2 and the Audi Quattro 8.0. My current car is under 3.9 seconds, within a half-second of the current 911. But people still aspire to the Porsche... or at least recognize it.

Omega will probably be an also-ran (if they aren't already) by 2030, partly due to their lack of a consistent DNA, but Rolex will probably continue to be a recognizable and durable symbol.
Late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 12:29 PM   #112
rallyx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Holly's Lady DJ
In 20 to 30 years, Skynet will rule the earth. Decepticons will infiltrate all mechnical watches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dotm-watchbot-film-1.jpg (19.1 KB, 154 views)
Old 30 January 2019, 06:11 AM   #113
yugxelor
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Yatch-Master
This is a tough question. The smart watch trend is in and growing. People, regardless of age are all buying up Apple Watches, the Fossil smart watch, etc. That being said, Im in my 20s and am blessed to own 4 Rolexes. Kids love the apple watch bc it is an attainable luxury for most kids (and also useful). That being said, IMHO, if anyone 18-28 had the opportunity to have a Rolex, I think they would take it. I get asked about/receive compliments on mine almost daily by kids my age.

This could change as kids become more immersed in technology. I was among the last to not have computers in every class room and in nearly every aspect of my life. I grew up in both world and have the appreciation of mechanical watches and the amazing technology that goes into making them.

However, I have say that it really comes down to whether or not kids in their 20s have access to them.
yugxelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 06:32 AM   #114
mikeyatc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Two words> Bluetooth radiation. Health hazard. I cringe every time I see someone with wireless earbuds on. There is an abundance of info on it. I did a quick search.

https://www.electricsense.com/1010/b...lly-dangerous/
mikeyatc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 06:59 AM   #115
TK116710
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710ln
I purchased my first Rolex a few months ago at age 23. I bought mine for the engineering/artistic/heritage aspect of the watch. My LN GMT has a few aesthetic features that are a nod to both my father's submariner that he has owned for ages and to some of the things we bond over (such as the green hand and script being reminiscent of our time spent together at the Masters in Augusta, GA). I always felt that a good watch was the only piece of jewelry that I would ever truly wear (besides an Aggie Ring and an eventual wedding ring) and I was willing to go above and beyond to own a piece that truly sung to me. A bit of a stretch financially, but it will likely be the only one of its kind for quite some time.

As for others my age, only a small handful have even noticed my watch and likely even fewer know how much it truly costs (just that it is very expensive for the average 20-something). I have sensed a small wave of my peers beginning to appreciate some of the "lesser-technology" wearables, but it is hard to argue with the capabilities of an Apple Watch. I suppose it comes down to how you approach something like a watch. Are you buying it for the artistry? Are you buying it for the handcrafted engineering? Are you buying it for the bling? Are you buying it for the capabilities?
TK116710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 07:01 AM   #116
Agustin_Nielsen
"TRF" Member

Absolutely.
Agustin_Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 07:44 AM   #117
Halitosis
"TRF" Member

Watch: my angry dog
Top end watches (including Rolex) are aspirational products (much like LV luggage and designer clothing brands) and are in ever increasing demand in this era of social media.
My teenage kids are already fighting over who will get my Rolex when I die, and they don't care that it keeps lousy time!
Halitosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 08:09 AM   #118
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Hi Peter,
Just read this, and have just read it out loud to the missus.
We loved it!
Synchronicity, I believe is the word.

Fullers have just sold out to an Asian brewing conglomerate.
Keg London Pride and ESB.....aaaargh!!!
The world is doomed, for sure.

Chin up mate, chin up.
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 10:38 AM   #119
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by timedate View Post
djokovic and federer are doing a hell of a lot for their respective brands, driving sales and building the brands.

these superstars are coming to the end of their careers,

where are the next generation of tennis greats? you always had them coming through in the past.
Going to be hard when Djokovic, the apparent weakest of the great trio, played the game of his life, indeed of any life, to crush Rafa and is now odds on to supplant Roger as the grand slam record holder and GOAT.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 11:40 AM   #120
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
From my perspective they already are.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote