The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 22 January 2019, 04:46 AM   #61
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
Since I’m a Patek collector and wearer, I really don’t care about the sports line, as it is today. Would I buy another vintage, with or without complications, yes. No interest in Nautilus or Aquanaut. I have my Rolex submariner for real water activities.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 05:10 AM   #62
KetaPatek
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2517 View Post
Yes but like you pointed it out, it’s more of an accessory than necessity which in itself is a risk, and like I said above, who knows in 50 years will people still show off their wealth with a mechanical watch? Or is it going to be something else entirely?
ppl wear bracelets, rings, necklaces, so yeah i think it's fairly safe to say they'll still be showing off the wrist watches even as subcutaneous chips transmit time 24/7/365 along w/ gov=corp marching orders heh.

pp going public given their numbers? only asap at the nosebleeds of our current everything bubble ponzi -- they better hurry, as silicon startups are starting to look even worse by the day (all cashburn w/ zero revenue); but hey, we got netflix and tesla et al.
KetaPatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 05:12 AM   #63
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Responsible journalism is *not* reporting on hallway rumors. At least they admitted to it in the article.

I expected more from Bloomberg.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 05:15 AM   #64
onnomon
"TRF" Member

whoa! If Rolex bought Patek this could be a win-win situation, for Rolex and the Stern family, at least. Aspirational watches for the masses (Rolex), aspirational watches for people of new-found wealth (Patek). Watch enthusiasts would initially raise an eyebrow, and maybe come to the conclusion this is not a bad thing after all- similar philosophical values (brand image), privately held, and nearly non-overlapping market segments. Just think, you could spend your USD$60K on a diamond studded Datejust, or a 5960P...all bases covered.

And, of course, in the process of buying your first Rolex the salesperson will be happily discourse the history and prestige of Patek Philippe (per their sales training), setting the customer up for the next aspiration, for the next generation.
onnomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 05:23 AM   #65
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Responsible journalism is *not* reporting on hallway rumors. At least they admitted to it in the article.

I expected more from Bloomberg.

Why would you expect more? Have you watched their show lately? I have friends that work here and its all about clicks and views
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 05:23 AM   #66
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

IMHO this could be a VERY GOOD thing for Patek. Maybe the new owner will truly bring them back to ultra-high leading quality they once were. So this is very good news if they get bought out and "the right" buyers does "the right thing" for the brand. There are various ways Patek is truly falling behind (or missing out), so again i vote YES.

SELL SELL SELL

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 05:27 AM   #67
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Why would you expect more? Have you watched their show lately? I have friends that work here and its all about clicks and views
:(

I guess I'm still holding onto the past.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 07:24 AM   #68
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Both Patek and Rolex have cut supplies to drum up interest in their brands and mask the dismal watch market which continues its steady but sure decline everyday with people increasingly using just cell phones to tell time. But how long does that marketing strategy work? Eventually you go out of business either way if there is no demand. Patek would be smart to cash out now but it will do nothing but harm the long term value of products made after the sale. You may only keep their watches for the next generation but who will keep the company going for the next generation?
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 07:25 AM   #69
AlyRba
"TRF" Member

Everyone has their own view but I think there is a bit of overreaction on this thread. Lange, VC, and JLC are all part of big watch groups and are doing fine without much interference from the big Corp on how to run things. Granted they don’t have great resale like Patek but Patek’s resale has to more to do with their marketing efforts than with their independent status.
AlyRba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 07:35 AM   #70
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyRba View Post
Everyone has their own view but I think there is a bit of overreaction on this thread. Lange, VC, and JLC are all part of big watch groups and are doing fine without much interference from the big Corp on how to run things. Granted they don’t have great resale like Patek but Patek’s resale has to more to do with their marketing efforts than with their independent status.
A huge part of their advertising is they have been continuously independent since what the 1830's. Any company buying this company will inevitably review all costs and look to gain efficiencies of production where they can. What might be streamlined or cut is an unknown. One advantage of the conglomerates is that they can and do use standardized parts across the various lines. Perhaps this does not reduce quality but it weakens the perception of brand uniqueness rightly or wrongly in the eyes of the consumer.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 07:55 AM   #71
AlyRba
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
A huge part of their advertising is they have been continuously independent since what the 1830's. Any company buying this company will inevitably review all costs and look to gain efficiencies of production where they can. What might be streamlined or cut is an unknown. One advantage of the conglomerates is that they can and do use standardized parts across the various lines. Perhaps this does not reduce quality but it weakens the perception of brand uniqueness rightly or wrongly in the eyes of the consumer.
Agree. But to the best of my knowledge, Lange and JLC at Richemont and GO at Swatch (brands that I am aware of) have not been subjected to this treatment. They retain their independent spirit and watchmaking traits, especially Lange and GO. Only VC has recently started using Richemont manufactured movements in their Sixty Five collection to keep prices low and attract new buyers. All their other collections continue to be made to strict VC standards.

If Patek is indeed taken over by a group, Stern can make it part of the negotiation terms that any efforts to generate revenue will not impact the quality and standard of Patek. I still believe that in the long run, this won’t have a big affect on Patek but may end helping the brand on issues such as service quality.
AlyRba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 08:28 AM   #72
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Maybe they don’t sell completely but just sell off 25% or whatever to an investor, like FPJ did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 08:30 AM   #73
Sonzy
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/Breguet/IWC/Rlx
https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/bloombe...BkpJc.facebook
Rolex: GMT Master II Batman.
Sonzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 09:23 AM   #74
Sonzy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
You should be able to get a 5711 at below retail price anywhere and any time if the Sterns sell the Patek brand to LVMH, Swatch or Richemont....

Or to a Qatari 🇶🇦 Company, as they’re buying like crazy everything all over the world.
Old 22 January 2019, 09:33 AM   #75
Sonzy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.m.b. View Post
Crazy. I would definitely stop buying Pateks if the brand fell into the hands of a corporate conglomerate.

I was planning to buy a new PP, but after Bazel. I don’t understand why PP didn’t make a clear quick announcement?!!!
I’ll hold buying any PP for the coming 12 months, even if the roomer is not true. I can’t afford to buy a new watch and take a risk that after few months it’s value can drop dramatically.

I love PP, and I love that’s an independent company... maybe it’s FP Journe time.
Old 22 January 2019, 09:45 AM   #76
Sonzy
"TRF" Member

François definitely is laughing now, something big will divert the industry over the -ve feedbacks. :)
Old 22 January 2019, 09:54 AM   #77
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
Maybe they don’t sell completely but just sell off 25% or whatever to an investor, like FPJ did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I doubt that will be the case, because my assumption is that high-end dress watches have not been selling well for years, while their sports watches ended up with a 10-year-waitlist. How many times have we walked into a Patek boutique and see empty display cases like Rolex's? Patek's display cases are always filled with unsold dress watches. The change in consumer demand from dressy pieces to sports pieces is an overwhelming trend that even marketing-genius Patek is unable to reverse. I seriously doubt they are able to sell out those 40,000 high-end dress watches every year.

To remain as a going concern, Patek needs to increase their sports watch ratio, and that is something that the Sterns are unwilling to do. If there are indeed talks of sales, it could very well be the Sterns rather sell their beloved Patek brand than to see Patek going down the route of sport watches (pride issues).

The new owners and management should thus be given the unbridled rights to increase sports watch production to ensure the viability of the brand. The new owners do not come with any emotional baggage and they will do what is necessary to make money for their shareholders.

One disappointing aspect if the acquisition goes through, is that the Sterns' undertaking to take care of all our purchased Patek watches for eternity might not be fulfilled by the new owners.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 10:06 AM   #78
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
You actually never owned a Patek Philippe, you always owned a watch that was a part of a conglomerate

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 10:22 AM   #79
Busyboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
You actually never owned a Patek Philippe, you always owned a watch that was a part of a conglomerate

Lol

What a point to tune in
Hahahaha
Busyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 10:23 AM   #80
Busyboy
"TRF" Member

I'm worried having read this thread

But it's very interesting and considered... This is certainly what I'll be following very closely
Busyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 11:23 AM   #81
usnwfu
"TRF" Member

I hope Amazon buys Patek... Prime 2 Day delivered Service of your Nautilus!
usnwfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:12 PM   #82
TJMike
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyRba View Post
Only VC has recently started using Richemont manufactured movements in their Sixty Five collection to keep prices low and attract new buyers. All their other collections continue to be made to strict VC standards. .
The majority of the Fifty Six collection have the Hallmark of Geneva certification. Only the three-handers with the date do not.
TJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:16 PM   #83
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Man this would stink. I see no good coming out of it. That said it may not change all that much but to me patek is best as patek and not part of a group.

If I owned a ss nautilus purchased at 50k I would be a bit nervous.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:23 PM   #84
TJMike
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
I think if patek gets sold people will reevaluate the whole idea of being independent. ALS moves up to #1, Patek/AP at #2 or #3 and it is interchangeable. I cant think of any reason besides the independent thing as to why ALS isnt in the top 2 now as resale has nothing to do with the watch but its the big drawback now as well as non independent.
It is a good thing that Lange is not independent. There is a more than credible rumor that Lange sales are not good (resale value adds credence to that) and are propped up by how well Cartier does.

In contrast, from what I have been read VC is doing quite well (Richemont CEO or someone else high in the company specifically mentioned that they are happy with VC sales).
TJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 02:12 PM   #85
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJMike View Post
It is a good thing that Lange is not independent. There is a more than credible rumor that Lange sales are not good (resale value adds credence to that) and are propped up by how well Cartier does.

In contrast, from what I have been read VC is doing quite well (Richemont CEO or someone else high in the company specifically mentioned that they are happy with VC sales).
Seems hard to believe. They don’t even make any appealing sport watches to begin with
Old 22 January 2019, 03:03 PM   #86
rw2008
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex AP Patek
Not sure why people would hold off buying Pateks right now. If anything I’d jump on them as long as I could prove it was produced before the sale.
rw2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 03:11 PM   #87
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Well, Forbes in 2016 or 2017 estimated that the Stern family would worth around 3B if Patek were to go public, based on Patek's revenue comparing to Richemont and Swatch's and their market cap.

So Bloomberg's 8-10B is a considerable premium and one I could see is enticing to the Stern family, if someone were actually to offer that.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 06:39 PM   #88
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post

If I owned a ss nautilus purchased at 50k I would be a bit nervous.

Not at all - if PP were to be sold, values of current watches (especially the higher priced) would increase significantly.

AP would capitalise and promote itself trying to elevate itself, so values of AP would increase.

If Rolex bought Patek, my local AD would become a Patek AD.

This is all gravy!! Sell TS, sell!!

But then I’d be sad. Don’t sell TS, don’t sell!

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 06:48 PM   #89
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
Not at all - if PP were to be sold, values of current watches (especially the higher priced) would increase significantly.
Why? They make 50,000+ per annum currently.

Can't see why a 2018 5740 would be worth more than a 2020 5740?
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 06:53 PM   #90
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Why? They make 50,000+ per annum currently.

Can't see why a 2018 5740 would be worth more than a 2020 5740?

Because collectors will value a watch made before the change higher than they will after the change, even if the watch is identical. There may be no logic to it, but it is what happens.

And they certainly don’t make 50,000 £50k+ watches per annum.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote