The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 4 August 2018, 05:55 AM   #1
normalboywatches
Banned

Is anyone buying the new Navitimer 8 B01 chronograph?

Am very interested in this piece as would like to add a chronograph to my (small) collection, and the B01 movement is supposedly one of the best (if not THE best) chronograph movements available.

I LIKE the vintage styling of the Navitimer 8 B01, but I don't LOVE it, I guess I feel lukewarm towards it at the moment. Have tried it on and the build quality is impressive and how it wears is excellent. I think the model has lots of potential going forwards, but am not so sure about this first version. I'm on the fence about whether to purchase it.

I haven't seen any posts about it here, so my question is whether anyone is actually buying this model?
normalboywatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2018, 09:34 AM   #2
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Nope
Old 4 August 2018, 01:05 PM   #3
fdm79
"TRF" Member

Got my first Breitling (Navitimer 01) 45 days ago.

As you said, the movement is amazing ! I'm in love with the watch even being a Rolex person. I don't know why but somehow, I'm a bit sad that Breitling might be losing a bit of it's identity. I do like the Navitimer 8 design in general but at the same time it looks so.......... Boring and unoriginal. Something like: "Ok people, take the nice movement and put it in a case with a trendy nowadays design.."

I love Breitlings but I'd personally go for Navitimers 01, Cosmonaute and Montbrillant.
Rolex GMT Master II 126710 BLRO - Rolex Submariner 116610 LV - Breitling Navitimer 01 Pan-American Bronze Limited Edition AB0121C4/Q605-447A - Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Professional 3861 (Sapphire) 310.30.42.50.01.002 - Omega Seamaster Diver 300M 41mm Ceramic (Blue) 212.30.41.20.03.001
fdm79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2018, 01:13 PM   #4
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

I don't mind the watch but I wish it came on a better bracelet. Until that happens, I'd buy the more traditional looking Navitimer.
jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2018, 12:19 AM   #5
JeremyS
"TRF" Member

It's just not...Breitling enough, if that makes any sense. It sort of reminds me of the newer 38mm Omega Speedmaster automatics. I have the same issue with the new Colt. It looks like a Tag. Breitling dials have always been a bit on the "busy" side, but surely there's a happy medium.
JeremyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2018, 01:09 AM   #6
normalboywatches
Banned

Many millions of words online have been devoted to how the new look Breitlings aren't "Breitling enough". Yes it doesn't have the winged logo and the dials are now to be much less busy, both of which I don't actually mind. Some of the Breitlings of the past were too shiny, too crass and too vulgar to say the least. This new look collection is actually much closer to what Breitling watches looked like historically, as I'm sure you know. The original logo had no wings, and the dials were large, clear and uncluttered-very similar to the SOH II and indeed the new Navitimer 8.

So is anyone actually buying them?? And if not does one expect this line to be discontinued as fast as it was brought in?
Old 5 August 2018, 01:31 AM   #7
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
I used to own a Navitimer 01 LE and really loved the look. I wasn’t thrilled with the poor WR rating and sold it. I would consider getting another Navitimer 01, because to me it is classic Breitling. These new 8s to me look like generic chronographs and nothing that I feel I have to own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2018, 03:13 AM   #8
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I find the Breitling is too shiny business curious, as many other watches have polished surfaces (i.e. daytona, GMT, etc...) and with the newer squared off cases and shiny ceramic bezels, from about 10 feet out, to my eye a Daytona or GMT is about as "blingy" as any Breitling. And certainly no more blingly than any Panerai.

My beef with Breitling is larger cases in the past 10 years. I much prefer the classic 38-41mm. When I went looking for a navitimer, went with the older model as it had a smaller, more classic case.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2018, 04:00 AM   #9
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
I am not a huge fan of the watch. Seems to me they made it to capture a new audience, and therefore may not speak to those who already bought into breitling in the past.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2018, 04:48 PM   #10
Gospodin
"TRF" Member

The watch wears beautifully. But so generic overall.
Gospodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2018, 10:19 PM   #11
KBM
2024 Pledge Member

I had to Google the watch. Much prefer the original navi design.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 12:30 PM   #12
WJGESQ
Banned

No pics?
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 02:24 PM   #13
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

No but considering the new world time
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 04:07 PM   #14
normalboywatches
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGESQ View Post
No pics?
If you don’t know what the the Navitimer 8 chronograph looks like you may be on the wrong froum...

Also, there IS Google.
Old 28 September 2018, 11:52 AM   #15
Ctaranti
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,Rolex,Omega
I much prefer the Navitimer 01 . For some reason the bezel on 8 B01 just doesn't work aesthetically for me and the watch seems to be missing something without the slide ruler.
Ctaranti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2018, 12:27 PM   #16
Justindo
"TRF" Member

It's a nice looking watch but I agree that it's not "Breitling enough." I plan to get a Navitimer 01.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 02:12 AM   #17
Rbrand
Banned

Actually i don't like the watch so i am not getting it
Rbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 03:14 AM   #18
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

I was more or less uninterested in the entire Navitimer 8 collection when it was introduced. I just felt that it had no character. However, after trying them on I have a new appreciation for them.

They’re awesome watches if you think of them as a brand new watch line and don’t compare them to the Navitimer that we all know and love. I think this was Breitling’s mistake - putting the name “Navitimer” on them. It invites comparison, and it’s a comparison that no watch can win.

They’re really solid, both design- and movement-wise. I was very close to buying one. Probably the only reason I didn’t was because I had just bought a new JLC a few days prior. I’d recommend giving them a look in person before making a judgement.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 02:31 PM   #19
flon
Banned

I bought one almost 4 month ago and i am so loving this watch.
flon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2018, 07:12 AM   #20
Limestonedan
"TRF" Member

Not a Breitling guy, but I do like the new 8 with strap. Blue dial and the black dial look nice. Have to see in person.
Limestonedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 01:26 PM   #21
Giraku
"TRF" Member

Among the new Navitimer 8 collection, Unitime (movement B35) was the only one I got interested. So I bought one. I tried the Nav 8 Chrono and didn't like it. For Chrono, go with Nav 1 or Chronomat. On the other hand, I think the new Premier collection is good (especially the green chrono).
Giraku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 03:47 PM   #22
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by normalboywatches View Post
If you don’t know what the the Navitimer 8 chronograph looks like you may be on the wrong froum...

Also, there IS Google.
Or maybe it doesn't interest me enough to further inquire.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2019, 11:00 PM   #23
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Need to actually see it first to have any opinion
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2019, 11:09 AM   #24
djyolky
Banned

This thread is useless without pics.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
djyolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2019, 03:08 PM   #25
Robertus2
"TRF" Member

Nope because I don't like the sharply contrasting dials (except the Blackeye-Blue but that contrast is not "sharp") and nowadays all Breitling in-house chronographs have cotrasting dials. But the Valjoux 7750 - based versions might be interesting. Good news that calendar discs of the blued dial version are also blue. I like oblique calendar window frames better than on the Navi 8 - e. g. the Chronomats and the Navi 1 has such - hope Breitling will correct this small detail. And I hope some day there'll be a 60-minute engraved turning bezel and an upgraded folding clasp with double pusher and quick micro adjust. (Breitling has a great clasp but as for today they only use it for the rubber strap.) And the last details on the dial: as long as hands have polished frames I'd be more happy with polished-frame applied indexes, at least at 3, 6, 9 and 12, while the 3 small hands should be rather white than polished. (Last one can be easily helped later on any 7750-based watch.) And a smaller, around 40 mm case would be better for me. So I think sooner or later this may come home with me but it needs some model development.
Robertus2 is offline   Reply With Quote