The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 January 2019, 04:53 AM   #91
Thines
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your Back!
You are not alone. I am also not a fan of the Daytona. A colleague of mine, let me see his. It's too small for me.
Thines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 04:57 AM   #92
MC21
"TRF" Member

I think the Daytona is not for someone who has bigger wrist or like bigger watches.

The Daytona and GMT both shares the same size (40mm) but the GMT fits much bigger on my wrist.

I personally prefer the size of the Daytona and am currently hunting for a 116519LN
MC21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 05:02 AM   #93
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Three subdials cramped in a tiny 27mm dial with too much text in between. I see room for improvement.

I like a chrono. Make the dial cleaner, 3mm larger and take my money.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 05:06 AM   #94
JP.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 16610
I've always loved and respected the Daytona. White Daytona was my grail because a fellow Rolex enthusiast John Holbrook always had that one.

Then I borrowed it for a week (one of my personal friends purchased it). It was just too small for me. I'm 191 cm (6'3) tall and lifted weights a lot back in the day... and the long pushers just increased the smallness.

I still like it but I found something else to fulfill that white chronograph need.

Not a Rolex but this has an inhouse movement too and it's 45mm.

Old 10 January 2019, 05:14 AM   #95
DoDe
"TRF" Member

Perfect size, but too much going on round pushers and dial. Love vintage Daytonas !!!
DoDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 05:17 AM   #96
MC21
"TRF" Member

Just how can you say no to this?

MC21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 05:27 AM   #97
javier
"TRF" Member

I do not like it at all
javier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 06:25 AM   #98
richard371
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
Part of me wishes the sub dials on my 116500 white were solid black but I realize I would probably still be on the waiting list if that were the case. It would be the true Panda. I’m pretty happy with it the way it is.
richard371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 07:58 AM   #99
lucid
Banned

I love the piece it’s beautiful
lucid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 08:10 AM   #100
Rolexdate
"TRF" Member

No date

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolexdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 08:32 AM   #101
GeeRam
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, 16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the brush View Post
Not on my list at all. I find them too cluttered, and difficult to read.
Likewise.

Plus,
Tudor Black Bay 'Black Rose'
Tutima 1941 Fliegerchronograph 18ct
GeeRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 08:34 AM   #102
dhknola
"TRF" Member

I had a Tudor Big Block forever ago and largely got rid of it bc I never timed anything with the chronograph function. Since then I have been over the chronograph bug.
dhknola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 08:36 AM   #103
mangoseed
Banned

The TT Daytona was my dreamwatch when I was 14 but nowadays I think is mostly a watch for people who don't know much about watches.
mangoseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 08:41 AM   #104
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
One thing for sure, Grays can sell all they can get at 23K in the US so some folks think they are pretty cool.
Calatrava r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 08:59 AM   #105
1watch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesfield View Post
Lets face it, with current fashion trends the Daytona is classed as a ladies watch nowadays anyway.

If you look at a photo of a female celeb that owns a Rolex, 95% of the time its a Daytona.

I'll stick with my GMT ;-)

Uhhh....really?! Well, those women happen to have good taste and clout to get an elusive watch. They could wear a GMT too, same 40mm diameter.

By the way, that’s an appropriate size for most of the population without becoming trendy... as many brands without a large-size-history started to plump up their case size. I’ve seen women with feminine wrists also rocking very large Panerai and it’s a cool look.

1watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 09:09 AM   #106
ReclinerTimer
"TRF" Member

wow I feel the SAME EXACT way! I don't even know if I've acknowledged it myself, but at least subconsciously I've never really been into the Daytona, aside from like you said, a panda. I've been a fan of the sub in the past, and currently love GMT's and Datejusts. I've ever tried on some of the yachtmasters before and liked them. But something about the Daytona, I don't know what it is, just doesn't do it for me. Funny to hear someone with the identical point of view
ReclinerTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 09:17 AM   #107
mangoseed
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watch View Post
Uhhh....really?! Well, those women happen to have good taste and clout to get an elusive watch. They could wear a GMT too, same 40mm diameter.

By the way, that’s an appropriate size for most of the population without becoming trendy... as many brands without a large-size-history started to plump up their case size. I’ve seen women with feminine wrists also rocking very large Panerai and it’s a cool look.

Once is something is that popular amongst mainstream trends it is no longer cool. I no longer would ever buy a TT or PM Rolex, Glashütte Original is so much cooler at the same price and is much more sophisticated and classy.
mangoseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 09:18 AM   #108
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I guess it's time for this again. Seems like I have to trot this one out more and more frequently these days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Haters.JPG (72.7 KB, 181 views)
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 09:19 AM   #109
Jcy90
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT & SUB
I didn’t love the zenith or the 116520 tbh. For me they were bottom of the barrel. However, I really like the 116500. It’s not my favorite model - I like the new 126710 BLRO best.
Jcy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 09:22 AM   #110
beachybuns
"TRF" Member

Watch: 279174, 176200
I've never been a Daytona fan since I wear a 28mm watch but I just saw a Platinum Daytona with a meteorite dial at my AD and it was out of this world beautiful!!
beachybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 09:58 AM   #111
1watch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoseed View Post
Once is something is that popular amongst mainstream trends it is no longer cool. I no longer would ever buy a TT or PM Rolex, Glashütte Original is so much cooler at the same price and is much more sophisticated and classy.

To each their own. GO is also a good watch...It’s not a trend...I suggest you check auction results for the past 20 or so years. I’ve been collecting watches for a long tome and the Daytona has been collectible/desired since the 80’s at least.

1watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 10:15 AM   #112
strettyend
"TRF" Member

Different strokes for different folks, that's what makes a market. It's my favorite Rolex and my favorite watch. I'm sure preferences may change as I get older, however.
AP ROC 26315or; AP RO 15450st; Vacheron Fiftysix; Day Date RG 228235 Olive; Daytona YG 116528; Daytona YG Oysterflex 116518; Cartier Santos de Cartier Rose Gold; Panerai PAM 0048; IWC Portofino Chrono; Girard-Perregaux Richeville
strettyend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 10:17 AM   #113
Coop13
Banned

Watch: SBGW231, SRP777
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
OK, I was initially disinterested due to pricing and demand. I finally picked up a 116500C Black and my feeling changed. 1) the ceramic bezel improved the ruggedness of the model 2) it seems I really can live without a date, and 3) seems I also find frequent use for a stopwatch, much more so than a GMT movement for example. Now I'm not certain that I'd have a Daytona as a one watch, however, having it with alternates for diving and travel make it a great, comfortable, and desirable watch. I'm sold.
Improved ruggedness and ceramic don’t go together. Stop it they don’t.
Coop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 10:19 AM   #114
Coop13
Banned

Watch: SBGW231, SRP777
The amount of energy wasted on this forum by its members is incredible.
Coop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 10:36 AM   #115
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
I love the design of the Daytona. I love the idea. I love the history. But alas, it is not for me. I've owned 4 of them. I doubt I'll ever own another one.
+1. Total agree, Well i’ve Only owned one wg one.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 10:40 AM   #116
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC21 View Post

I think the Daytona is not for someone who has bigger wrist or like bigger watches.

The Daytona and GMT both shares the same size (40mm) but the GMT fits much bigger on my wrist.

I personally prefer the size of the Daytona and am currently hunting for a 116519LN
ss Daytona is not 40mm, it’s 38.5mm.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 11:27 AM   #117
TRS1
"TRF" Member

While I appreciate the watch and its history, it does not interest me. The dial is far too busy and I have no need for the complication.
TRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 11:45 AM   #118
Andrejb
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC21 View Post
Just how can you say no to this?

It’s actually beautiful on you. I think it’s complicated look is a little too much for me, but I also have a ton of tattoos so whenever I get a watch with a lot going on it’s just too much on my arm. I like this combination of silver and black on the oysterflex though. Probably my favourite looking Daytona

Andrejb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 12:09 PM   #119
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
I don't *dis*like the Daytona, but I can't say I like it either. It's nice enough looking and has great history yet, it really doesn't do much for me.

I wonder if some of it's popularity is due to it's somewhat difficult to obtain status rather than genuine affection of it's good looks or timekeeping attributes.

For overall technical performance, I'd prefer a Zenith El Primero movement and maybe a Breitling styled case / dial / bracelet configuration.

The Daytona is a fine, beautiful piece but IMO a little "hyped". FWIW the above remarks are only my *current* opinion: as my tastes evolve so might my opinions.

Great watch / nuff said
Mark

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 12:17 PM   #120
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop13 View Post
Improved ruggedness and ceramic don’t go together. Stop it they don’t.
I think they do unless you plan on smashing the bezel inert. For all intents and purposed unless they take a high force hit they are pretty much undisturbed and remain beautiful for years. Sapphire too is similar to this. If an aluminum insert takes a big hit it will deform and look like crap. If it takes a light hit it will be disfigured and look like crap. It it see light it will fade and look like crap. I'll take the ceramic every time. Oh maybe you wanted to go back to acrylic crystals as well,

As far as the Daytona being a woman's watch, consider all the watches made that are in the 50mm+ range; Invicta uses female models to sell them. According to their propaganda, a 44mm watch is a woman's watch so all the Rolex watches made could fit in that category. Women like Daytonas because they're the hardest to come my and reflect an accomplishment in owning one.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote