The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 26 April 2010, 12:48 AM   #1
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Kindle v. Nook

Anyone have any opinions on the Amazon Kindle v. Barnes & Noble Nook.

I have a Kindle and love it. We saw the Nook yesterday at B&N and it looks like it has some cool features.

We're thinking of getting a second e-reader and are trying to decide between the two. Anyone have any thoughts as to the relative merits of each?

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2010, 01:09 AM   #2
Taffi Abernathy
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ, SS DJ
Hey Ed,

After comparing these types of devices, I went with a Sony Reader and love it! Faith
Old 26 April 2010, 07:18 AM   #3
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/c...?cds2Pid=30195

I have the original Kindle. I think Jeff Bezos (head of Amazon) got it right - you need Internet access, and it really is a great usage model. Sony had readers for years but the eReader concept never really took off until Bezos crafted the Whispernet delivery model.

The Nook basically does all the good things the Kindle does and expands on them in a few ways. First, it offers WiFi and the Kindle does not. This is in addition to a 3G connection. The newest Kindles have global 3G coverage, so WiFi isn't super important. There is a little touch color banner screen that is used to purchase books. This makes it a bit easier to visualize what you're buying, but it's really not a huge deal IMO.

I have handled the Nook, and it seems rather heavy compared to the Kindle. That might be a consideration. Both have very good eInk displays and you'll probably enjoy either one.
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2010, 07:37 AM   #4
CKLinLA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II Black
I went with the Kindle cause you can get it in the larger size - 10 inch - screen.
Thats a big advantage if you read more Adobe pdf documents on the machine,
these are almost always a lot easier to read on a larger screen.

They both use the same type of screen - "iInk" - so they should both be just as
easy on the eyes as far as readability goes (unlike Laptops or the new iPad).
CKLinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2010, 12:39 PM   #5
Ebruner
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118208
Ipad defiantly the Ipad.

-Eddie
Old 26 April 2010, 12:44 PM   #6
djohst
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ω and GV
My wife just got the nook and loves it. I am not sure if you can share books with the kindle, but I think that was the feature that had her sold on the nook.
djohst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2010, 03:02 AM   #7
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebruner View Post
Ipad defiantly the Ipad.

-Eddie
I have seen ebooks on the iPad. It's not bad, but it's certainly not eInk. eInk is simply unmatched for the purpose of reading.
Old 27 April 2010, 03:07 AM   #8
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I am glad someone brought this subject up because I have been looking at one of these for a while. I'm not much of a book reader but I do have to go to my local coffee shop and read the local paper, (try to) everyday. It's my getting away from things excercise and I enjoy it very much. Anyway, sometimes it's a hassle to purchase a paper, they're already out, or I don't have change for the machine or whatever. And I'd like to do my part for the environment so having the paper delivered electonically to a kindle or other device would be not only handy, but a green option as well. The problem is: My local paper is NOT available! I have written Amazon, my local paper, trying to find a way to have it included, but never got any response. Does anyone know, or have any experience, why wouldn't just about EVERY paper be available?
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2010, 04:04 AM   #9
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs
First we kindle...then I get some nook!
CoopJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2010, 04:11 AM   #10
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I am glad someone brought this subject up because I have been looking at one of these for a while. I'm not much of a book reader but I do have to go to my local coffee shop and read the local paper, (try to) everyday. It's my getting away from things excercise and I enjoy it very much. Anyway, sometimes it's a hassle to purchase a paper, they're already out, or I don't have change for the machine or whatever. And I'd like to do my part for the environment so having the paper delivered electonically to a kindle or other device would be not only handy, but a green option as well. The problem is: My local paper is NOT available! I have written Amazon, my local paper, trying to find a way to have it included, but never got any response. Does anyone know, or have any experience, why wouldn't just about EVERY paper be available?
Well, the paper might not be big enough to undertake the project of making it available to Amazon.

You can read directly from the newspaper's website using a Kindle or a Nook since they both have built-in browsers.
Old 27 April 2010, 04:42 AM   #11
CKLinLA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
Well, the paper might not be big enough to undertake the project of making it available to Amazon.

You can read directly from the newspaper's website using a Kindle or a Nook since they both have built-in browsers.
I find browsing websites with the Kindle pretty basic, and more
something that I use only "if I really have to". Not sure how it would
be with a Nook.
CKLinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2010, 04:45 AM   #12
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
I know the iPad is not intended as a true e-book reader but nevertheless I'll go for that one. As soon as it becomes available in my country and that could take a while, don't ask me why.

The kind of reading I do in the train is restricted to browsing a newspaper or reading a magazine. So hopefully the disadvantages of the IPad's screen won't be too obvious.

But my main gripe lies with the pricing of 'iPrint'. Some publishers are taking a route that I don't understand. By publishing digitally, a lot of the current logistics problems are taken care of. No more transport, no more printing and no more delivery. So one would expect a (much) lower price for the content. That does not seem to be the case. One of better newspapers over here charges almost the same amount as the printed version!

I don't expect to pay 7.95 for the digital version of a magazine that's also 7.95 in print! Once the e-reader output is automated, it's like one press of a button to generate it from the digital content that is already there. It's a different story with books that only exist in print and that have to be digitized. I can see the premium there.
Old 27 April 2010, 04:45 AM   #13
MKLM
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc
I have the Nook and I love it... Never had a Kindle so I can't help with the comparison.

Matt
MKLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2010, 04:54 AM   #14
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post

This is an excellent suggestion! And I'd be walking out the door right now to buy a Kindle (or Ipad, or .... ) except that I just went to the website for my local paper, and it doesn't have everything that's on the paper version. For example, the comics; (go ahead and laugh but I enjoy reading them!). Also, the write ups of the NHL games that are on the regular paper, there are a couple of other examples that I read I don't see in the on-line version. Is this typical? Or am I just missing something?
Old 27 April 2010, 04:55 AM   #15
Kapture1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ω 3570.50.00
Theres a Kindle app for the iPhone. I dont have a Kindle, but I can download the books on my iPhone and read away.

Wash out this tired notion that the best is yet to come
Kapture1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2010, 05:11 AM   #16
Taffi Abernathy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
This is an excellent suggestion! And I'd be walking out the door right now to buy a Kindle (or Ipad, or .... ) except that I just went to the website for my local paper, and it doesn't have everything that's on the paper version. For example, the comics; (go ahead and laugh but I enjoy reading them!). Also, the write ups of the NHL games that are on the regular paper, there are a couple of other examples that I read I don't see in the on-line version. Is this typical? Or am I just missing something?
Paul,

As an employee of a certain electronics company, I am curious as to why you wouldn't just go with their "Reader?" I bought one recently and am really enjoying it. Faith
Old 27 April 2010, 05:12 AM   #17
jackdog

I live in the UK and have had a Kindle for about six months. I'm slightly limited in my choice of books from Amazon, but its expanding all the time. I'm very pleased with the Kindle, excellent battery life, eye friendly screen.....I've just bought a light so I can read it in my campervan when I'm at competitions. I don't know much about the Nook, but I'm happy with the Kindle.
jackdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2010, 05:18 AM   #18
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffi Abernathy View Post
Paul,

As an employee of a certain electronics company, I am curious as to why you wouldn't just go with their "Reader?" I bought one recently and am really enjoying it. Faith
I actually have one faith, they gave them out at a recent meeting, but I'm not much of a book reader, I am more in to the daily newspaper (kind of like my little escape I guess), but the reader I have doesn't have Wifi or 3G, so to download the paper I'd have to plug it in to my computer every day. I'd much rather have something I can just pick up and go, and download the paper wherever I'm at. If I can figure out a way to get all of my paper on it I'll compare the E, Kindle, Ipad, and pick one. Although I'm a dedicated employee I buy whatever works best for me; (Shhh... don't tell them I use an I-phone )
Old 28 April 2010, 05:33 AM   #19
unclesallie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: keystone pocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post
Anyone have any opinions on the Amazon Kindle v. Barnes & Noble Nook.

I have a Kindle and love it. We saw the Nook yesterday at B&N and it looks like it has some cool features.

We're thinking of getting a second e-reader and are trying to decide between the two. Anyone have any thoughts as to the relative merits of each?
Just get the iPad. it's screen is huge and has a great book reader(just looked at my nephew's).....
unclesallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2010, 06:15 AM   #20
moviefreak
"TRF" Member

Kindle to read.. is way easier on the eyes... better viewing experience than the Sony Readers....
Old 28 April 2010, 07:01 AM   #21
Taffi Abernathy
"TRF" Member

When all is said and done, I like the convenience of these devices but prefer reading the actual book. After all, why drag 5 books with you if you can grab your Kindle, Nook, Reader, etc. which weighs 10.2 oz. as opposed to transporting a cumbersome pile of books weighing several pounds? But I prefer reading books because: they are often in color (or at least partly in color); (2) diagrams, pictures, etc. typically have a larger, more legible and aesthetically-pleasing presentation; (3) I enjoy underlining meaningful passages and making notes in the margin; and (4) I do feel somewhat cheated paying more to download books from sites, when I could have had the physical book delivered directly to my door for less money from, say, Amazon. Do you receive my meaning? (I just knew you would! )
Old 28 April 2010, 09:00 AM   #22
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
So from the lack of feedback so far the iPad is not a good choice to own???

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2010, 12:57 PM   #23
Rockrolex

I appreciate all the comments.

About the iPad. It's too damned big. The biggest book I have is smaller. And the iPad would not fit into my messenger bag which I carry when I travel. Moreover it doesn't have the connectivity to books that the Kindle or Nook have. So enjoy your iPad people. It just doesn't work as an e-reader.

I'm going to test drive the Nook this weekend at my local B&N. I'm going to take my Kindle and do a side by side. I'll let you know what we decide.

I'm sold on the Kindle right now. The only question is whether we get a second Kindle for Arleen or she gets the Kindle back and I get a Nook (or a new Kindle). Decisions, decisions.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Old 30 April 2010, 03:42 AM   #24
unclesallie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: keystone pocket
Quote:
I appreciate all the comments.

About the iPad. It's too damned big. The biggest book I have is smaller. And the iPad would not fit into my messenger bag which I carry when I travel. Moreover it doesn't have the connectivity to books that the Kindle or Nook have. So enjoy your iPad people. It just doesn't work as an e-reader.

I'm going to test drive the Nook this weekend at my local B&N. I'm going to take my Kindle and do a side by side. I'll let you know what we decide.

I'm sold on the Kindle right now. The only question is whether we get a second Kindle for Arleen or she gets the Kindle back and I get a Nook (or a new Kindle). Decisions, decisions.
But are you coming to York, Pa. for the GTG?
june 18, 2010 at 7pm at The Left Bank for dinner...NAWCC national, y'all!
sorry to hijack this thread, kinda. Meantime, have you actually looked at the iPad books? are you sure about connectivity, young man?
unclesallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2010, 04:31 AM   #25
Rockrolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclesallie View Post
But are you coming to York, Pa. for the GTG?
june 18, 2010 at 7pm at The Left Bank for dinner...NAWCC national, y'all!
sorry to hijack this thread, kinda. Meantime, have you actually looked at the iPad books? are you sure about connectivity, young man?
Unfortuately, Dan, I won't be able to make it. I thought the GTG was going to be on the weekend, but even so, we have to be in New York that weekend for Fathers Day. I had originally planned on it, but I'm low man on the totem pole when it comes to planning.

Not sure about connectivity, but the iPad is still too big for me. That's what I like about the Kindle. It's book size and fits into any of my bags with ease and with room to spare. Besides, I also have the Kindle app on my BB so I can still read my books when I don't have the Kindle with me.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Old 30 April 2010, 04:55 AM   #26
R1@160@alltimes
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛
I also have the new generation kindle and like it a lot except for the pixel flashing you get when paging through.
Old 10 June 2010, 01:24 AM   #27
looking to buy
"TRF" Member

Thought I would revive this thread. I just bought the Nook and love it. I looked at the Sony Reader and found it wanting in terms of features compared to the Nook or the Kindle. A good friend has the Kindle and he loves it. I find that I am reading a lot more now. I have always been a big ready but it seems so easy to take the Nook with me and it has multiple books on it, now so that I can go from one to the other.

I never thought I would like these devices. I always thought I would want the actual book. But, I got hooked real fast.
Old 10 June 2010, 02:09 AM   #28
Ebruner
"TRF" Member

We gave away our Kindle after buying the Ipad. Ibooks is 100 times better looking, easier to read, better overall experience. The Ipad is in IMHO unmatched by the Sony, Nook, Or Kindle.

-Eddie
Old 10 June 2010, 02:14 AM   #29
Rockrolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebruner View Post
We gave away our Kindle after buying the Ipad. Ibooks is 100 times better looking, easier to read, better overall experience. The Ipad is in IMHO unmatched by the Sony, Nook, Or Kindle.

-Eddie
The iPad is 2-3 x bigger than the Nook or Kindle and doesn't have anything like the feel of a book. I can hold the Kindle in one hand and turn pages with that hand while hanging on to the strap with the other hand when standing on the Metro. I'll stick with my Kindle; my wife will stick with her Nook. They're pretty equal in operability and usability.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Old 10 June 2010, 06:06 AM   #30
Ebruner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The iPad is 2-3 x bigger than the Nook or Kindle and doesn't have anything like the feel of a book. I can hold the Kindle in one hand and turn pages with that hand while hanging on to the strap with the other hand when standing on the Metro. I'll stick with my Kindle; my wife will stick with her Nook. They're pretty equal in operability and usability.
I don't see how you can say any of them have the "feel" of a book. But the Ipad book display looks more like the pages of a book tham any of the others IMHO.

-Eddie