The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 December 2023, 12:31 PM   #61
painexpert
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshwarms View Post
It is hard to be a "good customer" when you will not sell me a watch.

It is hard to be a "good customer" when your sales agents turn over and the
relationships you spent time building are not cared about or passed on by MGT.

It is hard to be a "good customer" when your store is so stuffy and the staff so snooty.

It is hard to be a good "good customer" when you have to beg to spend your hard earned money.

So to Rolex it was fun for a while but now I must bid you adieu
Go grey market
painexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2023, 12:33 PM   #62
ADINVA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I had not visited any ADs since 2018. Pretty sad to see so many losing complete interest in this brand.
ADINVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2023, 12:54 PM   #63
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

It is hard to be a "good customer" when your store is so stuffy and the staff so snooty.

It is hard to be a good "good customer" when you have to beg to spend your hard earned money.

For me, it is not goodbye to Rolex, however it may be goodbye to Rolex ADs.

The two years I have been waiting for a GMTII Batman at MSRP, has been frustrating/discouraging. Some ADs were kind/apologetic, but most were condescending a-holes. In the meantime, I have been expanding my universe of high end watches and have purchased some really nice non-Rolex watches (Panerai/Omega/JLC/Zenith/Baltic), some pre-owned discontinued Rolexes and some fun Swatch MoonSwatches.

Today I bought a Batman from a grey dealer and was able to get a NOS 11 series (so I don't have to worry about the 32xx vs 31xx issue). While paying over MSRP is not ideal, I do enjoy not generating commissions for ADs who have actively not sold me a watch.

Over the course of the last two years, I have shared my love of watches with others who also love watches and now feel I know/trust enough non-Rolex AD dealers to satisify my interest in watches without that uncomfortable feeling of going into an AD, or that frustrated feeling when leaving an AD. Life is too short and it is possible I have more money than time to allow myself to feel this way.

If an AD calls and offers a watch I want, will I buy it? Probably. But the luxury of buying something I want when I want it narrows their odds that I will still want what they are offering.

I feel the OPs pain.
Laine V38 - JLC Reverso Duo Q2714910 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 - Baltic Aquascaphe SS
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2023, 03:21 PM   #64
Atmwireless
"TRF" Member

I went to ap once my Rolex sales person left.

Couldn’t be happier
Atmwireless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2023, 03:28 PM   #65
4reRlxGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmwireless View Post
I went to ap once my Rolex sales person left.

Couldn’t be happier
Went to s coast plaza in the oc last week to catch up with AP and Bucherer (Patek side). Both had SAs that recently left Rolex ADs. They both mentioned they got tired of drinking the "Rolex Kool Aid."

Didn't bother to ask what they meant
4reRlxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2023, 03:30 PM   #66
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:

If I had this experience I would 100% do the same as you because nothing like this is worth feeling bad over.

Luckily my AD is cool.
xrole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2023, 03:36 PM   #67
painexpert
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlam View Post
For me, it is not goodbye to Rolex, however it may be goodbye to Rolex ADs.

The two years I have been waiting for a GMTII Batman at MSRP, has been frustrating/discouraging. Some ADs were kind/apologetic, but most were condescending a-holes. In the meantime, I have been expanding my universe of high end watches and have purchased some really nice non-Rolex watches (Panerai/Omega/JLC/Zenith/Baltic), some pre-owned discontinued Rolexes and some fun Swatch MoonSwatches.

Today I bought a Batman from a grey dealer and was able to get a NOS 11 series (so I don't have to worry about the 32xx vs 31xx issue). While paying over MSRP is not ideal, I do enjoy not generating commissions for ADs who have actively not sold me a watch.

Over the course of the last two years, I have shared my love of watches with others who also love watches and now feel I know/trust enough non-Rolex AD dealers to satisify my interest in watches without that uncomfortable feeling of going into an AD, or that frustrated feeling when leaving an AD. Life is too short and it is possible I have more money than time to allow myself to feel this way.

If an AD calls and offers a watch I want, will I buy it? Probably. But the luxury of buying something I want when I want it narrows their odds that I will still want what they are offering.

I feel the OPs pain.
Agree totally
painexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2023, 03:42 PM   #68
prushkovez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario406 View Post
Wait, what? Be friendly I get, but I need to learn their names? I need to establish a rapport? Seems like that’s very backwards.
this!

Life is too short to waste precious time, and I rather have MY bottom kissed... so I went grey, and I am as happy as it gets...
Old 12 December 2023, 03:47 PM   #69
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Most people on here consider Rolex pricing at 30-50% above retail and buy second hand. You are not alone, you just need to increase your budget if you want rolex
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2023, 08:24 PM   #70
Madman37
"TRF" Member

Just buy it grey. This poem though does show that rolex are getting it right. The OP wants one so bad but cant get it they had to write a poem on social media about it with a dramatic goodbye.
Madman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2023, 08:39 PM   #71
scotttampa
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, OM, GO
Lots of Other Outstanding Choices

Try Glashutte, Tudor, Omega, etc. Plenty of great pieces out there and available. I've left the brand, at least for the foreseeable future.
scotttampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2023, 08:43 PM   #72
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
How many Grey dealers have disassembled every watch to insure 100% authenticity in what they are selling?
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2023, 09:47 PM   #73
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

I'm happy to wait for a luxury item i would like to buy. No need to overpay or get stressed about it. If i don't get it, no problem. But that's my view / opinion, to each his own.
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2023, 10:28 PM   #74
Gaussian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV Z-Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman37 View Post
Just buy it grey. This poem though does show that rolex are getting it right. The OP wants one so bad but cant get it they had to write a poem on social media about it with a dramatic goodbye.

This thinking is why buyers need to turn grey and pay above retail.

I refuse to be part of the problem for any currently available reference.

Every time I see a “new condition” current year warranty card watch, I feel slight sorrow for the sucker that is born every minute.

If everyone refused to buy a new watch, above retail from the grey market, then the watch enthusiasts would be the ones getting the call, not the for-profit flippers. 🥸

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gaussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2023, 10:35 PM   #75
Watch-Geek
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doyle View Post
I'm happy to wait for a luxury item i would like to buy. No need to overpay or get stressed about it. If i don't get it, no problem. But that's my view / opinion, to each his own.
Exactly!! Waiting is part of the charm.
I come from hunting down vintage pieces, and sometimes it takes a year or two to find one where I'm happy with the condition and price.

I bought my Speedmaster as a simple walk in, and it didn't feel as special as waiting for a call for my Sub

Sent from my SM-A415F using Tapatalk
Watch-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2023, 10:52 PM   #76
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I understand the op's view point. I look at it in a different way. The market and the AD's/Sellers conduct themselves in a way that they want. It is my response that I control. I can not control the prices but I can research them and find the best price available for a watch outside of the AD network. For many, this is not what they want but for so many it is about the money, not necessarily the watch. They want a watch that will have instant equity when purchased at msrp from an AD. Not bad if you can do it but most can't because they are not a big enough customer for a high demand watch. No ones fault, just the way that it is and dictated by the market. So why get upset and walk away? I know the reasons but it brings us back around to the market and how we react to it. Things will change, maybe for the better or maybe for the worse. Rolex still makes some of the best watches in the market and I will always want them.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2023, 11:02 PM   #77
sinkholeninja
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ocean 2000
See you on Monday
Old 12 December 2023, 11:02 PM   #78
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-London View Post
Try establishing a rapport with a senior member of staff.
Learn the names of staff. Be friendly. Visit frequently. etc etc.
Requiring jumping through the above hoops is exactly why the OP said what he did. At least go grey, someone doing all of what you recommend must not value their time.
Old 12 December 2023, 11:03 PM   #79
soldes
"TRF" Member

Waiting is part of the charm.

Wait.. What? Not when you have work very hard to get to the point that you can gift yourself a nice reward by getting what you want. If you are in your 20s and 30s, yes I can see folks playing the Rolex game; but supposed that you are in your 60's, sorry but NO.
Life is to short for one to feel rejection, when our willingness to give a business Townsends of dollars; is not only taken for granted, but is perceived as if they doing us a favor.
soldes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2023, 11:31 PM   #80
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
All those who praise the grey market should realize it is driven by retail buyers who did get watches from an ADs and then sold them to used watch dealers for whatever reason. The more you support the used watch market by paying whatever they charge, the more it will flourish and grow resulting in less and less availably from ADs. Like any other business it grows from profits and demand.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 12:10 AM   #81
Manager_pete
"TRF" Member

Completely agree with OP, Rolex market strategy the last few years have put me completely off the brand, I have 3 Rolexes bought before the madness and I won’t buy any more.

Tiered of AD games

I also have no interest in buying on the grey market and be a part of the problem, I have just lost respect for the brand and don’t want anything to do with it anymore. There are so many other nice options from other brands

It’s really a shame since Rolex makes some nice watches

Just my 2 cents
Manager_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 12:32 AM   #82
Madman37
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaussian View Post

Every time I see a “new condition” current year warranty card watch, I feel slight sorrow for the sucker that is born every minute.

If everyone refused to buy a new watch, above retail from the grey market, then the watch enthusiasts would be the ones getting the call, not the for-profit flippers. 🥸

Not sure i agree. You have to outweigh time and money. I could wait for a watch and one doom boom drop dead. I could buy one grey, enjoy it and boom drop dead. At least i enjoyed the watch for a while. Whats more important time or money.
Old 13 December 2023, 12:34 AM   #83
Madman37
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manager_pete View Post
Completely agree with OP, Rolex market strategy the last few years have put me completely off the brand, I have 3 Rolexes bought before the madness and I won’t buy any more.

Tiered of AD games

I also have no interest in buying on the grey market and be a part of the problem, I have just lost respect for the brand and don’t want anything to do with it anymore. There are so many other nice options from other brands

Just my 2 cents
Hopefully everyone on the forum writes this type of poem then more will be available
Old 13 December 2023, 01:02 AM   #84
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaussian View Post

Your plan is based entirely on changing the thinking and behavior of the entire watch buying world. Good luck with that.

Demand comes from desire and financial means. Do you plan to take away one of those somehow?
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 01:14 AM   #85
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manager_pete View Post

Tiered of AD games

Just my 2 cents
You lost respect for the brand because demand far surpasses supply?

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 01:37 AM   #86
Fahoo Forays
Banned

Watch: 16264
Quote:

Grey and/or used keeps the AD system from controlling whether you get a Rolex or not. The watch that spoke to me was a 5 digit model the AD doesn't carry, so nothing they did or didn't do was going to affect my purchase. One click on a trusted seller's website and I've checked the box.

Sad that you've allowed possibly the worst way to buy a first Rolex to affect your interest in the brand.
Fahoo Forays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 01:47 AM   #87
Fahoo Forays
Banned

Watch: 16264
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonpepper View Post
Also, an option for both non-AD, and non-gray experience......buy the watch you want in parts, and assemble yourself, and or have a watchmaker build it for you.

As mentioned and already photo'd on this blog, I purchased all the parts for a SEA Dweller, and then built it myself.

Took 11 months to source the parts from around the world. 1 month to build.

Even got the JC dial.

$9800, TOTAL !

(Get extra stems. For me, that was the toughest part of the build :)).....)
I'm nowhere near watchmaker skill, but do you have a thread detailing your work? I've heard of people doing this with older Harleys and I've done it with Fender basses.
Fahoo Forays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 02:11 AM   #88
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

This isn’t airport. You don’t have to announce your departure.

Sometimes I think these threads are shills for the grey dealers. Not all of them, mind you. But some of them have got to be.

It’s a luxury item. Nobody is entitled to one of these watches. Probably much healthier to take the attitude, if you get it, you get it, if you don’t, you don’t and life goes on either way.
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 03:00 AM   #89
culvercity
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonpepper View Post
Also, an option for both non-AD, and non-gray experience......buy the watch you want in parts, and assemble yourself, and or have a watchmaker build it for you.

As mentioned and already photo'd on this blog, I purchased all the parts for a SEA Dweller, and then built it myself.

Took 11 months to source the parts from around the world. 1 month to build.

Even got the JC dial.

$9800, TOTAL !

(Get extra stems. For me, that was the toughest part of the build :)).....)
That is really cool and I had not considered this. I searched your username did you ever make a thread posting pics as you assembled this watch? If not I think that would make a great thread. If so please send me the link!

It is frustrating to not be able to buy what you want when you have money from the AD. However I refuse to go grey and deal with all the drama if something is wrong so I would rather just be patient and wait.

From what I understand Patek has this same strategy of not selling you what you want right away. How did that work out for Patek? I think this sales strategy works in terms of ramping up the clients demand when they are initially told no.
culvercity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 03:06 AM   #90
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
It’s a luxury item. Nobody is entitled to one of these watches. Probably much healthier to take the attitude, if you get it, you get it, if you don’t, you don’t and life goes on either way.
My feelings too. I have had some really nice watches over the years but never paid a premium or jumped through any hoops to get them. These are not neccessities, just luxury trinkets. There’s always been a few particular watches over the years that are hard to get either because of demand or price. I will inquire through AD channels but if the answer is no I accept it and move on.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote