The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 4 October 2011, 11:47 PM   #31
johnswatch
"TRF" Member

absolutely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeogre View Post
Damnit! Guess that I have to put my GMT and U1 upr for sale.
In my capacity as self-styled fashion watch police I'll let you off - this time.
Old 5 October 2011, 03:14 AM   #32
cparks555
"TRF" Member

I wear a Nixon tide watch while surfing, it doesn't look anything like those and was less than $100.
cparks555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2011, 08:51 AM   #33
Aivas47a

Watch: Love them all
Quote:
Originally Posted by humvee View Post

Anyone knows what makes these watches so popular?
Marketing + poor taste in watches
Aivas47a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2011, 01:22 AM   #34
WatchTimes
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
They are a mall fashion watch.....
NO resale.

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2011, 01:35 AM   #35
rossi46
"TRF" Member

Watch: shopping
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnswatch View Post
Seriously people - many of our so called high end watches have very little horological merit and at the end of the day they're all 'fashion' watches.

Oh - don't tell me - you work at CERN and need that green crystal Milgauss.

What? You regularly dive below 300 meters and spend time in decompression chambers?

Am I the only person who actually uses a Daytona to time my laps around the Nurburgring?
Best. Reality check. Ever.

(This should be thrown up in General Discussion... guarantee it would ruffle some feathers!)
Old 25 October 2011, 05:14 AM   #36
Feras
Banned

Watch: Rolex,Tag
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagebuilder View Post
Um, Swiss made, ceramic construction, automatic, mechanical movement, date complication, 300m depth rating.

I don't believe the price is out of line. White or red G-Shocks are very popular, this is a step to the next level, so to speak. Does it appeal to me? No, but neither do Daytonas.
x2
Feras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2011, 05:27 AM   #37
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
rado.
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2011, 05:28 AM   #38
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
dont think i need say anymore than the above post
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2011, 06:23 PM   #39
Shel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2th DR View Post
Mama said "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all". So what I have to say is
MY mama always said "If you can't say anything nice about someone..... pull up a chair, and let's talk"!
Shel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2013, 06:12 PM   #40
Bugsy123
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnswatch View Post
Nixon make some interesting watches with different and daring designs.

Seriously people - many of our so called high end watches have very little horological merit and at the end of the day they're all 'fashion' watches.

Oh - don't tell me - you work at CERN and need that green crystal Milgauss.

What? You regularly dive below 300 meters and spend time in decompression chambers?

Am I the only person who actually uses a Daytona to time my laps around the Nurburgring?

It's far more likely that I want to match my watch with my outfit and make a fashion statement rather than a bank statement - hence Nixon.

I really like their wandering hours watches....
I couldn't have said it better myself. Watches arelike anything else you buy; you purchase it because you like. IMHO, I think they make some very unique pieces. Are all of their pieces to my liking - no. But the same can be said about some of the models that are deemed high end. It's all a matter of personal preference.
Bugsy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2018, 08:29 PM   #41
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
The Nixon watch shown as an example was not my taste. But they make some fashion watches ( the Porter model) and some Casio-type models that are of interest for the less serious minded collector or as a gift to a son, daughter, relative or friend.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2018, 03:00 AM   #42
hhwc
Banned

My son has one. I have to say it got him into watches and when I got my Explorer he was very interested.
hhwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2018, 04:04 AM   #43
joerivers1961
"TRF" Member

Nixon is not a watch company. They are a Surfwear company that just happens to make watches. They've been around forever with sunglasses, rash guards and clothing for people into surfing/skating. They just happen to gain some more popularity and exposure for the past 5-7years. They are equivalent to Quicksilver, Volcom or Billabong. I used to own one many many years ago! If you wear a gshock you shouldn't mind Nixon.
joerivers1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2018, 07:51 AM   #44
Car32
"TRF" Member

Nixon is associated with snowboarding, surfing and skating, they advetised in the snowboard mags I grew up reading as a teenager in the mid-90s and were in all the board shops.

My first "nice" watch was a Nixon Rover Wanderlust below. Man that was an awesome watch. I was always casually interested in watches but I would point to that as the catalyst for my current interest. As you can see by the picture, it was not crazy big, 40mm at most? and the band, with the black outer link and the "steel" center link (I think everything was plastic) was the coolest thing I'd ever seen on a watch. I remember getting many many compliments. I wish I still had it, I have no idea what happened to it. It probably cost around $200 at the time which was a lot of money as a teenager!

They definitely latched onto the big watch trend since and I don't really like their offerings now, but I fully agree with johnswatch and others: just because you've never heard of them doesn't mean their not popular (they've been around for 30 odd years) and to ridicule them as overpriced trash is funny considering that its a safe bet any Nixon owner would laugh at us and think the same thing of our Rolexes, APs, PPs, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m_5a2977b94e8d176fb6015c7b.jpg (78.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 31043064_429434454146486_5161861016828510208_n.jpg (87.7 KB, 13 views)
Car32 is offline   Reply With Quote