The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 16 August 2012, 10:46 AM   #1
Air Tzar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
The perfect "One-Watch" for $5,000 and under?

For a long time now, I have been searching for that "One-Watch" that I can wear most days of the year and not worry about it being out of place in any setting, and most conditions. I am not talking about extremes like mountaineering or deep-sea diving, but most regular, every-day activities like camping, going to a white collar job, playing with your kids, swimming in the ocean, etc. Something that isn't too delicate, but is also refined enough to be worn to work; something with some heritage, pedigree, and history.

I have been a watch lover for a long time, but only now is my budget catching up with my wants, so to speak.

I have a few sub-$1000 watches, like the original Tissor Seastar 1000 (too sporty/bulky), the Seiko White Samurai (a bit "tall" and thick), a Raymond Weil Nabucco (quite nice, but without the heritage I am after). I also have a Rolex Air King (which I am selling because I would like something a bit larger).

I am now after something in the $2000-5000 price range. I know that this is kind of a "no-man's land" for watches, as most great value watches are under $2000 and most other watches that immediately jump to mind are above $5000.

The watches I have considered/am still debating:

1. Longines Legend Diver (non-date) - about $2000 from AD. I really like this one, but it's borderline big on my wrist (it seems to wear larger than its stated 42mm).

2. Omega Speedmaster 3570.50 - about $3800 from AD. This was the watch that I was in love with when I could not afford it, then sort of grew out of love, but lately have been thinking about it again. It is a very good fit for my wrist and seems like it's a great all around watch. I am not sure of its durability for some reason (maybe I am totally wrong?).

3. Rolex Submariner 16610 - $4999.99 ( ) used, in 95%+ condition . This is the very top of the price range for me. I have not tried this watch on, so I am not sure of its size/bulk/thickness on my wrist. I do not have small wrists (7.25") but I don't want a behemoth that wont fit under any dress shirt sleeve. It almost seems like an "impossible" grail because of the iconic status of a Rolex Submariner, but I guess it's in the running.

4. Rolex Explorer II - white dial - $4500 used? Same as the Sub - have not tried it on, and unsure of how it will look.

My ultimate question: (thank you for still reading, lol) - am I overlooking any watches that you think will work for my purpose of a great all around daily wearer for years to come? Of the four I listed, would you choose any of them?

Thank you for reading and for your advice!
Air Tzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2012, 10:57 AM   #2
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
Omega Seamaster - the James Bond one, not the plant oceans.
Old 16 August 2012, 11:11 AM   #3
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
If you don't already have a Rolex, get the Sub.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2012, 11:22 AM   #4
gaopa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
If I could only have one nice watch, it would by my Omega Planet Ocean. It is the best watch for the money that I own. Cheers, Bill P.

gaopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2012, 01:27 PM   #5
Maxfli
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
If you don't already have a Rolex, get the Sub.
I second this. You'll like the way it wears. A Sub has visual presence, yet is light enough to always be comfortable and thin enough that cuffs aren't an issue.

Edit: And you should be able to pick up a used 16610 in excellent condition for well below $5000.
Old 16 August 2012, 02:13 PM   #6
wisguy
"TRF" Member

Sub or Speedy Pro
Old 16 August 2012, 02:20 PM   #7
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
In between all those I think I'd actually go for the Exp-II (given that you're talking about the 40 mm model), I quite like it and I think the GMT hand could be rather useful.
On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2012, 11:06 AM   #8
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Fortis Marinemaster (42 mm)

$2-2.5k with discount easily obtainable
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fortis_MM.jpg (156.8 KB, 1127 views)
Old 17 August 2012, 11:14 AM   #9
Ticking Away
"TRF" Member

Get the sub. Iconic and timeless.
Ticking Away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2012, 11:17 AM   #10
Feras
Banned

Watch: Rolex,Tag
New DJ. New Explorer 39mm. New OP. omega Speed master. Omega seamaster limited james bond 50yrs edition.
Al new and great watches for 5000 and less

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
Feras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2012, 12:33 PM   #11
drockadam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi.
16610 all the way!
drockadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2012, 12:41 PM   #12
Mickey®
Banned

Watch: Swiss Made
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Tzar View Post
For a long time now, I have been searching for that "One-Watch" that I can wear most days of the year and not worry about it being out of place in any setting, and most conditions. I am not talking about extremes like mountaineering or deep-sea diving, but most regular, every-day activities like camping, going to a white collar job, playing with your kids, swimming in the ocean, etc. Something that isn't too delicate, but is also refined enough to be worn to work; something with some heritage, pedigree, and history.

I have been a watch lover for a long time, but only now is my budget catching up with my wants, so to speak.

I have a few sub-$1000 watches, like the original Tissor Seastar 1000 (too sporty/bulky), the Seiko White Samurai (a bit "tall" and thick), a Raymond Weil Nabucco (quite nice, but without the heritage I am after). I also have a Rolex Air King (which I am selling because I would like something a bit larger).

I am now after something in the $2000-5000 price range. I know that this is kind of a "no-man's land" for watches, as most great value watches are under $2000 and most other watches that immediately jump to mind are above $5000.

1. Longines Legend Diver (non-date) - about $2000 from AD. I really like this one, but it's borderline big on my wrist (it seems to wear larger than its stated 42mm).

2. Omega Speedmaster 3570.50 - about $3800 from AD. This was the watch that I was in love with when I could not afford it, then sort of grew out of love, but lately have been thinking about it again. It is a very good fit for my wrist and seems like it's a great all around watch. I am not sure of its durability for some reason (maybe I am totally wrong?).

3. Rolex Submariner 16610 - $4999.99 ( ) used, in 95%+ condition . This is the very top of the price range for me. I have not tried this watch on, so I am not sure of its size/bulk/thickness on my wrist. I do not have small wrists (7.25") but I don't want a behemoth that wont fit under any dress shirt sleeve. It almost seems like an "impossible" grail because of the iconic status of a Rolex Submariner, but I guess it's in the running.

4. Rolex Explorer II - white dial - $4500 used? Same as the Sub - have not tried it on, and unsure of how it will look.

My ultimate question: (thank you for still reading, lol) - am I overlooking any watches that you think will work for my purpose of a great all around daily wearer for years to come? Of the four I listed, would you choose any of them?

IMHO
For every day...one of these two.

You need to then get a Moon watch to break it up...It's such a buzz/joy to put that sucker on.

My collection is the following...SO I like the way you think!!!!

Mickey® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2012, 04:52 PM   #13
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Sinn U1 (44 mm)

~ $2.5k

Nicer with the black bezel, I think
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sinn01.jpg (71.5 KB, 1074 views)
File Type: jpg Sinn02.jpg (100.9 KB, 1075 views)
Old 17 August 2012, 05:59 PM   #14
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Tzar View Post

Both a 16610 and Exp II (previous model) would make good used buys. the Sub holds value better than the Exp II, and there is usually plenty of both to choose from. If more than 5 years old, make sure you know the service history otherwise you may have to factor in another $500+ for a service

The Sub is only 40 mm and the Exp II is 39 mm, so will be fine on your 7.25 wrist. In fact, you will probably be able to wear any size you want
Old 17 August 2012, 06:18 PM   #15
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Submariner or Speedmaster I guess...well I also have an Exp2 bias. Any of them would do.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2012, 06:21 PM   #16
pjsayer
"TRF" Member

The 16610 is obviously a classic - and it goes with everything and anything.

Having said that they are very common - I'm currently on holiday in a 5 star resort in Sardinia and I'd say 1 in 5 guys are packing Rollies, and of those every other has a Sub.

Funny enough I haven't spotted a single Moony and only one PO. My only concern about the 3570.50 would be the lack of date and possible WR concerns.

Have you considered a 2254.50? For me one of the most versatile watches Omega have made - and now slowly becoming a collector's piece...
pjsayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2012, 07:12 PM   #17
speedo
"TRF" Member

Watch: dj 16234, 116610ln
i'd chose one of the rolexes however i am a big fan of the legend diver.'s looks lovely watch and a real all-rounder.

instagram: modus_horologicus
speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2012, 07:19 PM   #18
crs12
Banned

Watch: Explorer I
Explorer II.

Great model and you arent paying premium because its a Sub.

Sub is nice but everyone has one.
crs12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2012, 07:21 PM   #19
Billythekid
"TRF" Member

Go for an omega seamaster bro , tough, reliable and not very expensive to maintain
Billythekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2012, 11:45 PM   #20
Al1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Watch
I would recommend the Tudor Black Bay

Good for all occasions in my opinion and not a watch you'll see many others wearing, making it that much more special.

Al1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2012, 02:11 AM   #21
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

Get the sub. It fits almost any situation.
Watcheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2012, 02:15 AM   #22
Noonan
Banned

Watch: 3570.50
Sub or the new ceramic Seamaster. Those go for about $2800 in the gray market.
Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2012, 02:16 AM   #23
GermanyMatt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126711, 126610
Agree - Get the Sub if you can swing the cost. It's a timeless design that will never go out of style and will always retain most of its value.

There's a reason everyone has one..

A close second would be the 42mm Planet Ocean with the cal 8500 movement.
GermanyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2012, 02:56 AM   #24
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
IMHO I'll take the PO 8500 over the 16610. If we are talking SubC it wins but the movement and clasp on the PO are superior to the Rolex.
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2012, 05:54 AM   #25
tuonor
"TRF" Member

Another vote for the Sub! Tux or t-shirt it just works.
tuonor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2012, 07:01 AM   #26
jvo300
"TRF" Member

I would also consider a vintage Rolex Sub 1680 or GMT 1675 which could be had for just around your high point.
jvo300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2012, 07:19 AM   #27
Solli
"TRF" Member

I've had Sub, Exp 2 (as well as exp 1) and Sinn UX. All great watches but the Sub are imho by far the best watch. Traded it on for an aquanaut though ;)
Solli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2012, 10:17 AM   #28
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

Watch: MkXVIII, 3570.50
16610 or 14060M. It's within your budget, already a contender on your list, and is incredibly versatile in that you can take it camping and wear in formal settings. 16570 is a great choice as well but the white dial vs the black might limit you in the formal category... maybe not? I'm not a fashion expert.

You cannot go wrong with any mentioned watch here but I would go Submariner and I hardly ever recommend Rolex in the non-Rolex forum.

Might I suggest the 16710 as well. You loose 200m WR which shouldn't be a deal breaker at 100m WR (same WR as the 16570) but you gain 3 new looks with bezel changes (black, coke, pepsi) and have more options for jubliee bracelets. Most will agree that it's the most versatile Rolex sports watch ever made. Plus you gain a GMT function which can come in handy traveling or when loved ones travel for communicating with them.

You can go the Seamaster route later as they can be found relatively inexpensive on the pre-owned market. If I had the budget set aside and was making my first big watch purchase with your criteria I would chose any of the 3 I mentioned and not look back! Have no fear on size for any of the Rolex sports watches you mentioned as they will be a perfect fit.
sierra11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2012, 11:16 AM   #29
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

Another sub vote. Like the speedy but can't quite wrap my head around the hesalite crystal.
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2012, 01:21 PM   #30
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
pre-owned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisguy View Post
Sub or Speedy Pro
If you are OK with a used watch, you just can't beat a Rolex and the ExpII can be a great bargain.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote