The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 5 January 2013, 04:57 AM   #301
alanc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114270 16710B
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgbg13 View Post
Yes, $6,500 without asking. I can only imagine how hard it is for them to sell these pieces. Think about it, your average buyer has no clue what they are seeing. This is easily the most expensive piece in the store, in a case right next to a $100 Seiko. And people shopping high end are not going to walk into the store to even window shop. Look how hard it is to convince guys on a watch forum the quality it is, average Joe is a lot worse. These need to be next to Rolex, Omega, PP, AP, ect... to even have a chance. Then you need a competent sales person to show it (not likely). Like many have said, without the name these are not going to make it like they should anywhere outside Japan. At least for now. But those in the know, know exactly how great they are. To me that is part of the beauty of them. The hands down ultimate stealth watch.
Agreed - just hope I snag one before word gets out....
Old 5 January 2013, 04:59 AM   #302
Longhorn
"TRF" Member

Watch: HULK SMASH
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanc View Post
Agreed - just hope I snag one before word gets out....
I don't think you have to worry. Average Joe is barely only recognizing an AP because of rappers.
Old 5 January 2013, 05:13 AM   #303
Magic-Matt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp 216570 Polar
Very intereting, never know those facts, makes me feel quite proud of my Japan ordered digital Seiko Spirit SBPG01! Lol OK, just kidding, but I do love it as a modern digital "retro" style and very well built watch!
Old 5 January 2013, 05:19 AM   #304
avusblue
"TRF" Member

Remember that the original question posed here was whether Grand Seiko has better build quality than Rolex, not "which is more prestigious?" or "which has better resale?" It seems the general consensus is that GS has the better build quality, and that Rolex holds a greater prestige image with the mass public. But I suggest that people are not qualified to conclude regarding the resale value question, unless they have firsthand knowledge.

I personally have sold a Grand Seiko, advertised through the TRF/WUS/TZ forums, twice. Each time, I had originally acquired the watch preowned, also through the forums. Each time, I actually made a small profit upon resale. And, most importantly, in each case there were multiple buyers interested, and the watch sold for my asking price within one day.

The relevant fact here is that hundreds of identical Rolexes come on the market each day -- but very few GS's do. And so, because the supply of preowned GS is so small, but lots of WIS's are interested in trying one out / adding one to their collection, I believe that GS's actually sell very readily for a strong price.

Final fact. My current GS, I bought brand new from an AD. I received a significant discount off MSRP. I believe if I wanted to sell it tomorrow, I could, at a percentage less than what I paid that is comparable to, or better than, a similar Rolex. And since then, GS has announced a 7% to 9% retail price increase (sound familiar, Rolex collectors?) that should bolster the value of preowned pieces out there.

I've bought and sold over a dozen Rolex watches along my WIS journey, too. So based on my direct experience, even though my sample size is relatively small, I do believe Rolex and Grand Seiko are pretty equivalent when it comes to resale value. Go buy a brand new Rolex and then resell it in a year; you'll take a hit for sure. Buy one preowned, at market value, and resell it in a year; you should break even or at least not lose much. I believe the exact same would be true with Grand Seiko, at relatively equivalent percentages.

Dave

PS -- here's my current GS; it's my faithful daily wearer:

Last edited by avusblue; 5 January 2013 at 05:24 AM.. Reason: corected a misspeling. :-)
Old 5 January 2013, 05:27 AM   #305
gslaskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by avusblue View Post
Remember that the original question posed here was whether Grand Seiko has better build quality than Rolex, not "which is more prestigious?" or "which has better resale?" It seems the general consensus is that GS has the better build quality, and that Rolex holds a greater prestige image with the mass public. But I suggest that people are not qualified to conclude regarding the resale value question, unless they have firsthand knowledge.

I personally have sold a Grand Seiko, advertised through the TRF/WUS/TZ forums, twice. Each time, I had originally acquired the watch preowned, also through the forums. Each time, I actually made a small profit upon resale. And, most importantly, in each case there were multiple buyers interested, and the watch sold for my asking price within one day.

The relevant fact here is that hundreds of identical Rolexes come on the market each day -- but very few GS's do. And so, because the supply of preowned GS is so small, but lots of WIS's are interested in trying one out / adding one to their collection, I believe that GS's actually sell very readily for a strong price.

Final fact. My current GS, I bought brand new from an AD. I received a significant discount off MSRP. I believe if I wanted to sell it tomorrow, I could, at a percentage less than what I paid that is comparable to, or better than, a similar Rolex. And since then, GS has announced a 7% to 9% retail price increase (sound familiar, Rolex collectors?) that should bolster the value of preowned pieces out there.

I've bought and sold over a dozen Rolex watches along my WIS journey, too. So based on my direct experience, even though my sample size is relatively small, I do believe Rolex and Grand Seiko are pretty equivalent when it comes to resale value. Go buy a brand new Rolex and then resell it in a year; you'll take a hit for sure. Buy one preowned, at market value, and resell it in a year; you should break even or at least not lose much. I believe the exact same would be true with Grand Seiko, at relatively equivalent percentages.

Dave

Brilliantly factual and immaculately thought out as usual, Dave.
Old 5 January 2013, 05:28 AM   #306
warren G.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster 3861
Quote:
Bingo.

I look at TZ and Watchuseek sale corner pretty often. You really don't see a lot of GS for sale. I was also ten mins late on buying this piece :

Old 5 January 2013, 06:01 AM   #307
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren G. View Post
Bingo.

I look at TZ and Watchuseek sale corner pretty often. You really don't see a lot of GS for sale. I was also ten mins late on buying this piece :

That is one of the best looking watches from GS. They really know how to do the light dial plus blue hands look well.
Old 5 January 2013, 06:09 AM   #308
bgbg13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn View Post
I don't think you have to worry. Average Joe is barely only recognizing an AP because of rappers.
LOL, This is what I saw sparked Rolex in the 90's. Rappers wearing them and rapping about them, professional athletes wearing them, then movie stars have them, then average Joe says if it is good enough for them it is good enough for me. This is the closest I can get to being them, so I will buy the watch too. Having no clue about the watch or any form of appreciation for it. Then the WIS who really appreciates it for what it is and has been enjoying it for years now sees it everywhere on people who have no clue what they have. They just wear it because their friends will think they are "cool" because they have a Rolex. Big turn off for most, which is why there is the "Rolex Stigma" we have today. From there Rolex has very high demand for the product and in order to keep up they sacrifice the quality that they once had to mass produce them. Now you get them with misprinted dials (which thanks to the internet becomes collectible some how???) bad paint jobs on the hands and markers, ect...
I only hope this does not happen to AP or PP over the years. The good thing they have going for them is the prices are so high most won't even try to attain one, they will be just as happy with their Rolex, and that may even slow down now with all these price increases and no salary increases to go with it.
Old 5 January 2013, 06:12 AM   #309
bgbg13
"TRF" Member

now check out those 2 pictures above this, beautiful! I'd put those 2 against a black and white stick dial DJII any day of the week. And in person when you are holding them, if you could put aside the "Rolex is the best" whispering in your ear, you would pick the GS also. And save some cash.
Old 5 January 2013, 06:14 AM   #310
bgbg13
"TRF" Member

link to an article done by Watch Time Magazine in April 2012 on Grand Seiko for those who have not read it. If you are willing to have an open mind, reading this will change how you view them for sure.
http://thirtyfivemill.files.wordpres...rand-seiko.pdf
Old 5 January 2013, 06:16 AM   #311
bgbg13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn View Post
Quote:

Dave

Beautiful dave! What are your thoughts on the build of the watch after having both? How does the case and bracelet compare to Rolex from what you have seen?
Old 5 January 2013, 06:17 AM   #312
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
I only hope this does not happen to AP or PP over the years. The good thing they have going for them is the prices are so high most won't even try to attain one, they will be just as happy with their Rolex, and that may even slow down now with all these price increases and no salary increases to go with it.
AP is already exhibiting the effects IMO. They are alienating some longtime consumers with some of their odd looking special editions. PP on the other hand, seems to be handling it well - they are changing their product mix (more expensive models) instead of increasing capacity (like Rolex).
Old 5 January 2013, 06:28 AM   #313
bgbg13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
AP is already exhibiting the effects IMO. They are alienating some longtime consumers with some of their odd looking special editions. PP on the other hand, seems to be handling it well - they are changing their product mix (more expensive models) instead of increasing capacity (like Rolex).
That is where I think Rolex had their downfall from where they were, increasing capacity and diminishing quality.
Old 5 January 2013, 06:29 AM   #314
warren G.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster 3861
Quote:
link to an article done by Watch Time Magazine in April 2012 on Grand Seiko for those who have not read it. If you are willing to have an open mind, reading this will change how you view them for sure.
http://thirtyfivemill.files.wordpres...rand-seiko.pdf
Thanks for the link. It was a really good read. I highly recommend.
Old 5 January 2013, 06:33 AM   #315
bgbg13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren G. View Post
Thanks for the link. It was a really good read. I highly recommend.

Only wish I had the $ for one. But that is what we save for!
Old 5 January 2013, 07:13 AM   #316
jay1988
"TRF" Member

This thread has really changed my thinking guys.

I was dead set on going to find one to look at. There's an AD in Ashbourne and one in London for UK folk. Both a good 5 hour round trip. Not gonna be able to see one for a while but I will before I go for the DJII.

If I really like it I'll go for it instead. If the quality is better than Rolex when I have it in my hand then I'd rather buy the watch then the name. I have a Rolex so if I'm ever trying to look flashy I can put that on.

I just hope all the hype of this thread doesn't leave me disappointed.
Old 5 January 2013, 07:17 AM   #317
NAVY
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Better - I've owned both brands and to be perfectly honest, GS quality is much better. You have to see one in person ... reagrdless of brand name, resale value, whether you like them or not ... you can't deny that they are beautiful and just ooze quality ...

Quote:
what I am really curious about, and to the OP's question that does not seem to be answered as of yet, is the build quality better than Rolex? I think we can all come to the conclusion that their movements and timekeeping are on par if not better. What about the cases and bracelets? What type of steel do they use? Are they just as good at taking a beating as a Rolex is. Are their cases on par with the Oyster case?
Old 5 January 2013, 07:21 AM   #318
NAVY
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
If you favor quality and fantastic workmanship, you won't be disappointed. May not be your cup of tea, but I know you will be impressed what Seiko can deliver!
Good luck!

QUOTE=jay1988;3841488]This thread has really changed my thinking guys.

I was dead set on going to find one to look at. There's an AD in Ashbourne and one in London for UK folk. Both a good 5 hour round trip. Not gonna be able to see one for a while but I will before I go for the DJII.

If I really like it I'll go for it instead. If the quality is better than Rolex when I have it in my hand then I'd rather buy the watch then the name. I have a Rolex so if I'm ever trying to look flashy I can put that on.

I just hope all the hype of this thread doesn't leave me disappointed.[/QUOTE]
Old 5 January 2013, 07:24 AM   #319
bgbg13
"TRF" Member

question to all GS owners. After looking these over it seems to me that the clasp can not be micro adjusted at all. Is this true? A very small but big detail for some. Cant you adjust the size of the bracelet at all with the clasp or is it just taking links off?
Old 5 January 2013, 07:28 AM   #320
jay1988
"TRF" Member

Quote:
question to all GS owners. After looking these over it seems to me that the clasp can not be micro adjusted at all. Is this true? A very small but big detail for some. Cant you adjust the size of the bracelet at all with the clasp or is it just taking links off?
The springdrive diver can definitely be adjusted.

It has micro-adjustments. Saw it on a youtube video a few minutes ago. Closed it since unfortunately.
Old 5 January 2013, 07:51 AM   #321
DJJon
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ - Need Sub Bad
I travelled today to a Grand Seiko AD to handle some GSs in the flesh and see for myself how nice they are in person. Here are some quick observations:
- Case/Dial/Hands are up the finish and feel of Rolex/Breitling/RW/etc.
- They had a classic Seiko black dial with batons and another 'snowflake' (or 'rice paper') pure automatics in the GS Series plus a bunch of various Spring Drives.
- The Spring Drive Chronograph and the Spring Drive GMT had quite nice looking dials, all this talk about 'mixed fonts' based on a close-up picture on a 22" computer screen, let me tell you no such concerns in person.
- The 'sweep' of the Spring Drives is awesome. Something about the fact that there is indeed a battery inside keeps them from appealing to me, but they are sweet to watch in operation.
- Not so much of a smooth second hand sweep for the 28,000 bph autos - compared to my Rolex they seem to be less of a smooth sweep. Maybe the jumps are faster so the lag time between each jump is incrementally longer? Not sure why but I can state they just are not as smooth of a sweep as my Cal. 3135 Datejust.
- I wish they would have had a 36,000 bph 130th Anniversary Edition there to compare, but no such luck. I guess those are super-rare. Contrasting what they did have to my 36,000 bph vintage Seiko Lord Marvel (had to bring it along, and yes the watch sales guy loved seeing it!) the Spring Drive is smoother and the 8-beat autos are not even close - night & day.
- I noticed Seiko calls 28,800 bph '8-beat' and 36,000 bph '10-beat' Hi-Beat movements - they think of it in terms of beats per second.
- A few of the Spring Drives had 'tuna can' clasps that admittedly are not up to the rest of the build quality. (OK, now you can think 'budget Seiko' )
- Most of them had a very nice two-button clasp, similar to say a Movado automatic but shorter. Bracelets had fine tolerances, fit and finish, with screwed removable links, etc. Very much on a par with the rest of the watch/case/dial/hands. So it is not fair to paint with a broad brush about a clasp quality issue. I forgot to look to see if they had SELs.
- Their bracelets feel very comfortable on the wrist. You can tell pains were taken to feel good, the edges must be rounded in an inconspicuous way.
- MSRP for the 2 pure-autos (non-Spring Drive) is $4400. each but asking for the best deal I was offered a full 20% off list immediately. I'll bet there is room to move lower for the buyer with cash in hand and ready to buy (just a hunch).

So - was the Grand Seiko Build Quality up to Rolex Standards? Based on this WIS's short time in the flesh, YES !

Do they withstand the test of time, take all the abuse that a Rolex can, and live to see another day outside the repair center - how can I say either way?

I can tell you every watch collector who is building a diverse portfolio should at least consider a Grand Seiko and then decide from there.
Old 5 January 2013, 08:11 AM   #322
alanc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJon View Post
I travelled today to a Grand Seiko AD to handle some GSs in the flesh and see for myself how nice they are in person. Here are some quick observations:
- They had a classic Seiko black dial with batons and another 'snowflake' (or 'rice paper') pure automatics in the GS Series plus a bunch of various Spring Drives.
- The Spring Drive Chronograph and the Spring Drive GMT had quite nice looking dials, all this talk about 'mixed fonts' based on a close-up picture on a 22" computer screen, let me tell you no such concerns in person.
- The 'sweep' of the Spring Drives is awesome. Something about the fact that there is indeed a battery inside keeps them from appealing to me, but they are sweet to watch in operation.
- Not so much of a smooth second hand sweep for the 28,000 bph autos - compared to my Rolex they seem to be less of a smooth sweep. Maybe the jumps are faster so the lag time between each jump is incrementally longer? Not sure why but I can state they just are not as smooth of a sweep as my Cal. 3135 Datejust.
- I wish they would have had a 36,000 bph 130th Anniversary Edition there to compare, but no such luck. I guess those are super-rare. Contrasting what they did have to my 36,000 bph vintage Seiko Lord Marvel (had to bring it along, and yes the watch sales guy loved seeing it!) the Spring Drive is smoother and the 8-beat autos are not even close - night & day.
- I noticed Seiko calls 28,800 bph '8-beat' and 36,000 bph '10-beat' Hi-Beat movements - they think of it in terms of beats per second.
- A few of the Spring Drives had 'tuna can' clasps that admittedly are not up to the rest of the build quality. (OK, now you can think 'budget Seiko' )
- Most of them had a very nice two-button clasp, similar to say a Movado automatic but shorter. Bracelets had fine tolerances, fit and finish, with screwed removable links, etc. Very much on a par with the rest of the watch/case/dial/hands. So it is not fair to paint with a broad brush about a clasp quality issue. I forgot to look to see if they had SELs.
- Their bracelets feel very comfortable on the wrist. You can tell pains were taken to feel good, the edges must be rounded in an inconspicuous way.
- MSRP for the 2 pure-autos (non-Spring Drive) is $4400. each but asking for the best deal I was offered a full 20% off list immediately. I'll bet there is room to move lower for the buyer with cash in hand and ready to buy (just a hunch).

So - was the Grand Seiko Build Quality up to Rolex Standards? Based on this WIS's short time in the flesh, YES !

Do they withstand the test of time, take all the abuse that a Rolex can, and live to see another day outside the repair center - how can I say either way?

I can tell you every watch collector who is building a diverse portfolio should at least consider a Grand Seiko and then decide from there.
Great info; thanks - where was the AD?
Old 5 January 2013, 08:13 AM   #323
bgbg13
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the input Jon!
Old 5 January 2013, 08:15 AM   #324
alanc
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Dave

This kinda sorta reminds me of an Exp 1 with a date complication. It's got me thinking maybe I should sell my 114270 and put the proceeds towards a new one of these...
Old 5 January 2013, 08:32 AM   #325
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

Unfortunately the genius and achievement of the GS movements arent translating, even to WIS. "SPRING DRIVE"
Old 5 January 2013, 08:35 AM   #326
Longhorn
"TRF" Member

Would ove to see a return to the logo on the dial like this:
Old 5 January 2013, 08:42 AM   #327
bgbg13
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Everywhere I have read it says the Spring Drive does NOT have a battery, where did you see it does have one?
Old 5 January 2013, 08:51 AM   #328
DJJon
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ - Need Sub Bad
Quote:
Everywhere I have read it says the Spring Drive does NOT have a battery, where did you see it does have one?
I am an idiot. It does NOT have a battery. It does create voltage and store it in coils to power the electronic brake. No battery. My Bad.
Old 5 January 2013, 08:54 AM   #329
bgbg13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am an idiot. It does NOT have a battery. It does create voltage and store it in coils to power the electronic brake. No battery. My Bad.
No worries, just double checking. Almost felt like the spring drive was ruined there for a min.
Old 5 January 2013, 09:06 AM   #330
Longhorn
"TRF" Member

Safe to say that after 11 pages of discussion the lusting for a GS has gone up significantly in this forum?
Closed Thread