The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 August 2018, 06:11 AM   #1
silkroaded
"TRF" Member

Thoughts on this trade

Hi folks,

Welcome your thoughts on a trade I am considering.

I currently have a late 2010 G serial pre ceramic submariner date and a 2017 hesalite moonwatch. I have a rubber b and easylink clasp to switch up the sub and I have the moon watch on bracelet with the omega leather and deployant.

This gives quite a lot of variety with the two watches.

I do however have a real hankering for the Sd4k and my budget does not allow me to add so I am considering trading the sub and moon watch.

Welcome your thoughts on moving the two watches to become a one watch Sd4k owner.

Thanks
silkroaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 06:18 AM   #2
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
I would make that trade all day if I was you.
tbonesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 06:21 AM   #3
T01
"TRF" Member

I'd make that trade. SD4K will likely appreciate in the future.
T01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 06:23 AM   #4
k1985
2024 Pledge Member

I'd make the trade and hopefully with a bit of persistence and patience you can save up to get another moonwatch down the road to still have some variety.
k1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 06:27 AM   #5
DoDe
"TRF" Member

Do it !
DoDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 06:27 AM   #6
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
I prefer the variety of the two you have - and I honestly prefer the older 5 digit Sub references overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 06:35 AM   #7
lenfried29
Banned

Watch: tick-tock
Not sure why would you do the trade like this if you already have one diver watch?
And Omega speedmaster is a nice watch in your collection. After the trade you'll have only one watch which not that far off from Sub you already own. But that's only IMO. If you must have sd4k then go for it to get that bug off your head
lenfried29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 07:05 AM   #8
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Why not consider a pre-ceramic Sea Dweller? Something like the triple six 16660? This one should be very collectible in the future. The SD4K is nice though.

Though I must say having two watches is better than having just one imo. A diver and a chrono makes for a really nice pair.
Old 21 August 2018, 09:54 AM   #9
Goodwill63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 122613
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecorsaire View Post
Why not consider a pre-ceramic Sea Dweller? Something like the triple six 16660? This one should be very collectible in the future. The SD4K is nice though.

Though I must say having two watches is better than having just one imo. A diver and a chrono makes for a really nice pair.
Well said.
Goodwill63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 04:28 PM   #10
silkroaded
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Never really fell for the pre ceramic sea dweller. The 116600 just seems like the perfect dive wat h to me. Includes all of the recent upgrades in a 40mm case with slim lugs.
Old 21 August 2018, 04:29 PM   #11
silkroaded
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the responses folks. I also have the challenge of finding a Sd4k in Europe for the right price.
Old 21 August 2018, 04:46 PM   #12
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
why not consider a pre-ceramic sea dweller? Something like the triple six 16660? This one should be very collectible in the future. The sd4k is nice though.

Though i must say having two watches is better than having just one imo. A diver and a chrono makes for a really nice pair.

x2

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 05:02 PM   #13
silkroaded
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
x2
I prefer the 116600 for all the upgrades
Old 21 August 2018, 05:17 PM   #14
glamorama
"TRF" Member

You have a great combo right there but understand the urge to trade.

I have the SD4K and although I don't want to trade it I still feel like adding a pre-ceramic no date sub and a moon watch. Guess you want what you don't have.

I'll probably end up adding a BB58 if they come in blue and a moon watch if I run in to a good deal some day.

Keep in mind SD4K is thick and heavy compared to pre-ceramic subs so can get tiring as a daily watch.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 05:18 PM   #15
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
I would do the trade.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 05:28 PM   #16
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
I would not do it.

You watches are great models to have and they compliment each other perfectly.
Moonwatch is iconic and it is a chrono. can be dressed up easily.

Your Sub is a killer daily beater.
Old 21 August 2018, 05:49 PM   #17
silkroaded
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamorama View Post
You have a great combo right there but understand the urge to trade.

I have the SD4K and although I don't want to trade it I still feel like adding a pre-ceramic no date sub and a moon watch. Guess you want what you don't have.

I'll probably end up adding a BB58 if they come in blue and a moon watch if I run in to a good deal some day.

Keep in mind SD4K is thick and heavy compared to pre-ceramic subs so can get tiring as a daily watch.
Thanks for your response, that’s really helpful. Do you not think the sd4k makes for a great daily wear? It would be my one and only watch. I really love divers and so would be ok with that as long as it was comfortable to wear. Thanks
Old 21 August 2018, 06:30 PM   #18
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkroaded View Post
Thanks for your response, that’s really helpful. Do you not think the sd4k makes for a great daily wear? It would be my one and only watch. I really love divers and so would be ok with that as long as it was comfortable to wear. Thanks
It depends, it is comfortable and size is great for my wrist. It sits good on the wrist despite thickness due to micro adjustment and the bulging case back that digs in a little. But when wearing shirts somewhat slimmer watches are better and I tend to use those. If it was my only watch I'd wear it no doubt.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 10:22 PM   #19
RolexLuthor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seadweller 116600
I did that exact trade after foolishly selling my first SD4K which I picked up pre discontinued and for an absolute bargain price! I then could not sleep until I got one back so parted with these two watches which I was a bit nervous about but the SD4k is definitely worth it and I’ve never seen one in the wild compared to the other two! It’s perfect for everything and I’m now a one watch man but have a Rolex that’s unbelievable and not common which for a Rolex is ultra rare! I can now sleep at night aswell which is another benefit!
RolexLuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 10:32 PM   #20
stratguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
I would never do this. You have two of the best watches ever. I find it funny that no one wanted the SD4K when it was available, but now that they are discontinued, it's the coolest watch ever made. Also, the fact that the end links don't fit properly bothers me.

Having said all this, you probably won't rest until you do this deal.
stratguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 10:36 PM   #21
theken
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
go for it...great trade...
theken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 11:10 PM   #22
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
No way I would make that trade. The SD is not more versatile in my opinion (due to bulkiness) nor does it really give you a different look than your sub. You already have two icons, keep them and enjoy. If you want to get the SD, I would save and get later.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 11:20 PM   #23
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
It's definitely a personal choice... for me, my 16610 isn't going anywhere, ever. So I wouldn't make it, but if your mind is hinkering for the SD it's probably only a matter of time.
Old 21 August 2018, 11:29 PM   #24
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:

This

Old 21 August 2018, 11:32 PM   #25
Emoney11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenfried29 View Post
Not sure why would you do the trade like this if you already have one diver watch?
And Omega speedmaster is a nice watch in your collection. After the trade you'll have only one watch which not that far off from Sub you already own. But that's only IMO. If you must have sd4k then go for it to get that bug off your head
this
Omega Planet Ocean 8900 43.5
Breitling Superocean 44
Emoney11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 11:46 PM   #26
sirish19
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP-VC-AP
I would also NOT do this deal. As some others have said, you already have two icons so I wouldn’t trade both in for one watch. While the SD4k may appreciate a little, I don’t think it will be a better investment piece (especially if you wear as a one and only), and will be less versatile than the Sub due to the bulkiness. Also, while technically a superior dive watch, it is really over spec for anything that anyone would really need to dive in.

Enjoy what you have and look to add something totally different in the future.

Old 21 August 2018, 11:54 PM   #27
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
I prefer the variety of the two you have - and I honestly prefer the older 5 digit Sub references overall.

I have to agree with this - I have the same 5 digit G serial and they aren't making anymore of those either... For a 5 digit example it may be one of the best, not too old but pre ceramic SEL. But I will also have to admit the SD4000 isn't my favorite reference. Speedmaster is a classic for sure, but no troubles replacing that. I would find a way to keep the sub, flip the Omega and get the SD. Remember... there should be a little pain involved..
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2018, 02:10 AM   #28
Amochosto
"TRF" Member

This is probably the toughest “should I trade or not” threads I’ve ever contemplated.

A Sub of some variant or other and a Speedy Pro is pretty much the perfect two watch sports watch collection. That being said I’d trade either of those watches for an SD4K without a second thought, and I’m having a tough time rejecting the idea of trading both for an SD4K. If it’s at all feasible I’d try to sell the Sub keep the Speedy and get the SD4K. If you can pull that off you have upgraded your dive watch situation and still have the perfect two watch rotation.

If it is not economically feasible I’d probably do the trade, and save up for a used Speedy in the future.

One thing to consider is that if you view the SD4K as an investment as a lot of guys here do, wearing it as a daily is going to cause a lot of stress every time you bang it off a doorknob or one of your kids grab onto and pull the bracelet.

For what it’s worth I don’t find the SD4K to be any more awkward or uncomfortable than the other two it would be perfectly suited for a daily watch.

Stupidity is doomed, therefore, to cringe at every syllable of wisdom

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Amochosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2018, 02:15 AM   #29
Amochosto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Page View Post
I have to agree with this - I have the same 5 digit G serial and they aren't making anymore of those either... For a 5 digit example it may be one of the best, not too old but pre ceramic SEL. But I will also have to admit the SD4000 isn't my favorite reference. Speedmaster is a classic for sure, but no troubles replacing that. I would find a way to keep the sub, flip the Omega and get the SD. Remember... there should be a little pain involved..
I totally respect your opinions, but I see two problems, first, unless the OP wants a specialized dive Rolex collection what is the point of having a Sub and Sea-Dweller as a two watch rotation? Second, the Speedy will not even raise half the money a Sub will. Financilly much easier to keep the Speedy.

Stupidity is doomed, therefore, to cringe at every syllable of wisdom

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Amochosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2018, 02:16 AM   #30
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Life is too short to live with a watch that doesn't float your boat. My 116600 is my favorite watch. I'm certain none here would have approved of my trade but I love the watch far more than the two I traded away (got cash out of the deal as well).

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote