The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 10 September 2018, 02:09 AM   #1
belk7
"TRF" Member

Strap Ideas for an Heirloom Constellation

Good Morning,

I hope to get a few thoughts from the active Omega enthusiasts here regarding strap ideas for a vintage Constellation. This is not a valuation/thinking about buying or selling thread. My father wore this watch much of the time that I was growing up, but put it in a drawer and started wearing digital Casios. Over 15 years ago, he gave it to me, at which time I went through a local Omega AD to have it serviced and get a new crystal. Since then, it has spent by far the majority of the time in a bank vault with other family heirlooms.

I recently brought the watch home and decided to send it off to a respected independent watchmaker for a fresh service and to consult on whether a new correct set of hands might be reasonably obtained. The keen-eyed and interested will notice that the hands are too long for the minute markers. Whether this is able to be done or not, I wish to start wearing the watch on occasion - not just put it back in a safe box. I just sent if off within the last two weeks and expect it to be gone for a little while. For general interest, Dad bought this in '61 or '62, and my limited research points to it likely being manufactured in '59. It still runs pretty darned well all factors considered.

While the BoR bracelet is newer than the watch and more than serviceable as is, I think I would also enjoy wearing this on a strap. If any of the Omega enthusiasts here have similar age/style Connies on straps, I'd love to see pics for ideas. My borderline obsessiveness leads to prefer an OEM strap, but I very much want to use a genuine Omega signed buckle (likely a pin buckle). Also, while I have played quite a bit in the Panerai strap world, I have not sourced any Omega accessories prior. Any recommendations for reliable sources would also be appreciated.

Since a thread is useless without a photo:

Connie Wrist Christmas Small.JPG
belk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2018, 11:37 AM   #2
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
That's a fantastic Constellation. I'm glad to hear it's going for service and will continue to do what it's supposed to do on your wrist.

I think a traditional crocodile hide with a glossy finish like this Hirsch model would be a nice match for that watch.

https://www.hirschstraps.com/collect...ant=1317576584
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2018, 09:59 PM   #3
Jwtownse
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16234 Datejust
There’s an Omega boutique in the city that I live and my girlfriend bought an OEM strap/buckle as a birthday gift one year to be worn on my Seamaster DeVille. It feels good to go the OEM route and I went with a brown alligator strap, which compliments the watch beautifully. I wouldn’t hesitate to head back to the boutique if I was ever in need of another strap.
Jwtownse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 02:08 PM   #4
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I wear my grandfather's 1955 18k yellow gold Constellation on an OEM black alligator strap and OEM yellow gold pin buckle and it's lovely. I don't think you'd go wrong going OEM.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2018, 02:58 AM   #5
belk7
"TRF" Member

Thank you, guys. I received the watch back from service and put it on a cheap dark brown faux gator that I had laying around just to see if I like it. I really enjoy the looks and am going to work with my nearest Omega boutique to procure OEM strap and buckle. I'll post a pic when things are in place.
Old 24 November 2018, 01:00 PM   #6
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belk7 View Post
Thank you, guys. I received the watch back from service and put it on a cheap dark brown faux gator that I had laying around just to see if I like it. I really enjoy the looks and am going to work with my nearest Omega boutique to procure OEM strap and buckle. I'll post a pic when things are in place.
Excellent!
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2018, 01:41 PM   #7
OCPaladin
Banned

I think black is a bit too formal but brown lizard or alligator works well for everyday... If you are interested I have several brown Omega OEM lizard or alligator straps I could sell you.

OCPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2019, 03:26 AM   #8
belk7
"TRF" Member

It’s taken a while to bring this back around to closure. I ended up going with two options which I think provide two very different presentations of the watch on the wrist.

Ordered a Camille Fournet Navy and separately sourced an OEM pin buckle. This is the set-up that I anticipate leaving in place majority of the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 28 January 2019, 03:26 AM   #9
belk7
"TRF" Member

Old 28 January 2019, 03:28 AM   #10
belk7
"TRF" Member

Strap Ideas for an Heirloom Constellation

Also purchased a Hirsch honey brown (with contrasting stitching and Hirsch pin buckle) for a different look.

Can always go back to the BoR whenever the mood strikes, but I do think I will wear this old family piece more on the straps.

Thanks to all who replied with their thoughts.