The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 10 October 2018, 10:19 AM   #1
lowmandfl
"TRF" Member

Planet Ocean Chrono or Speedmaster Racing for next watch?

I recently offloaded some watches and I'm thinking about picking up another, and would love to hear people's thoughts on the models I'm considering.

I've narrowed my search Omega, and I'm interested in the PO Chronograph 9900, or the Speedmaster Racing 9900. Aesthetically, it's a toss up for me because I really love the look of both watches. Movements are identical, so that's a total draw. My daily watch right now is a Deepsea D-blue, but I have some other dive watches that I wear in rotation.

The PO is a big watch and a very thick watch, but I'm very used to feel the Deepsea so I don't think that will be too much of an adjustment in terms of overall size. I like the water resistance, and the fact it's a tool dive watch. The Speedmaster is a little smaller, but still has the aesthetic of a ceramic bezel (tachymeter scale) which I like, and I appreciate the touch of orange on both.

One drawback to the Speedmaster, at least in my mind, is the fact that it only has 50m water resistance. I'd like a watch I can wear on a daily basis and do anything while I wear it without worry, within reason (minus diving). I have no interest in a watch I need to remove if I'm washing the dishes or my hands, so hopefully that's not the case. Are Speedmasters "fragile" watches for those who own/owned them? The other thing I've seen/heard about is that the pushers can pop off or break if they are bumped/knocked hard, is this an actual concern or more like one of those one-in-a-million things that are blown out of proportion?

If you have opinions on either watch and want to chime in, I'd love to hear it. Thanks for the time! Photos courtesy of Omega website.

lowmandfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 11:00 AM   #2
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
I know I'm supposed to reply with practical, rational reasons for one option versus the other, but all I can say is that Speedmaster is the cat's pajamas :-)
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 12:06 PM   #3
Bushido
"TRF" Member

Both watches are awesome. I own both a PO as well as several Speedies. Don't worry about the 50m WR for day to day activities. It will hold up without any concern. Quality of the Speedmaster, especially the new METAS racing line, is top notch. Neither of the watches you're interested in are fragile in any way.

Essentially, both will hold up well and should take whatever you throw at it. My first thought is that you have a diver with the DSSD. Go with the Racing Speedy.

If you have not yet tried one on in person, do so. I think you will be very pleased!
Bushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 12:16 PM   #4
Ctaranti
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,Rolex,Omega
I have a previous version of the PO Chrono anD love it but I think the Speedy would be a nice contrast both aesthetically and functionally vs. your Deepsea. I have a couple of Speedys and never had any problem with the pushers (or anything else).
Ctaranti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 12:19 PM   #5
lowmandfl
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the input! I went and tried both on today and honestly liked both. One thing I didn't expect was the white dial, that was awesome! It is a white/silver mix with a very cool egg shell texture. I think the decision now comes down to blue vs white. Any other feedback people have is always appreciated.

Old 11 October 2018, 12:26 PM   #6
SUPERDOC
"TRF" Member

The white dial is definitely spectacular -- I keep a quiet vigil for the white ceramic daytona, otherwise I'd have got that one ages ago!
Old 11 October 2018, 12:43 PM   #7
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Sm racing, easy.
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 12:46 PM   #8
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

I'd go for the PO.
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 01:29 PM   #9
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowmandfl View Post
Thanks for the input! I went and tried both on today and honestly liked both. One thing I didn't expect was the white dial, that was awesome! It is a white/silver mix with a very cool egg shell texture. I think the decision now comes down to blue vs white. Any other feedback people have is always appreciated.

That's hot!
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2018, 02:27 AM   #10
hodie9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN,116519LN
It depends on how you feel about the thickness of the PO. I have that same watch in black and it is very thick compared to my speedy. I have tried on the white dial racing speedy and loved it. It wore completely opposite of my PO and it's now on my want list. I am a bigger guy and wear a DSSD-JC but even that wears better than my PO, in my opinion. The blue PO is stunning though and Omega makes a beautiful blue dial. You can't go wrong with either. Just depends on how you feel they wear on you.
hodie9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2018, 03:28 AM   #11
lowmandfl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodie9 View Post
It depends on how you feel about the thickness of the PO. I have that same watch in black and it is very thick compared to my speedy. I have tried on the white dial racing speedy and loved it. It wore completely opposite of my PO and it's now on my want list. I am a bigger guy and wear a DSSD-JC but even that wears better than my PO, in my opinion. The blue PO is stunning though and Omega makes a beautiful blue dial. You can't go wrong with either. Just depends on how you feel they wear on you.
That's the worry to some degree, that the PO is so burly and thick it's annoying. I don't know if it's a true issue, but I certainly think the white speedy would wear much better under a cuff. With winter coming up, I think the Speedmaster would likely be more comfortable under jackets.

Have any Speedmaster owners had issue with the raised crystal? This version is sapphire obviously, not Hesalite, but it's a good bit raised so didn't know if there was any real concern with hitting it.
Old 12 October 2018, 05:04 AM   #12
WJGESQ
Banned

That’s not the right speedie.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2018, 05:25 AM   #13
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

The Speedy Racing....I I had the wrist for that watch I'd be wearing it.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2018, 05:39 AM   #14
Brew
"TRF" Member

Speedmaster. The HE ruins the PO for me.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2018, 05:42 AM   #15
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Go with the white dial.
Old 12 October 2018, 05:43 AM   #16
hodie9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN,116519LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowmandfl View Post
That's the worry to some degree, that the PO is so burly and thick it's annoying. I don't know if it's a true issue, but I certainly think the white speedy would wear much better under a cuff. With winter coming up, I think the Speedmaster would likely be more comfortable under jackets.

Have any Speedmaster owners had issue with the raised crystal? This version is sapphire obviously, not Hesalite, but it's a good bit raised so didn't know if there was any real concern with hitting it.
I love the look of the PO and it doesn’t bother me with how thick it is. It’s just really noticeable if you have other watches that aren’t as thick. Once you put it on it starts to become normal and you don’t really notice it too much.
The raised crystal was a concern for me at first but you don’t really notice it when wearing it and I’ve never hit it on anything. You should be fine.
hodie9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2018, 10:39 AM   #17
dny
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Speedmaster for sure
dny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2018, 10:52 AM   #18
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Love the racing. Both you show.

I’m a big PO fan too. But those racing speedys are just perfect.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote