The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 October 2018, 10:39 PM   #31
JayHantz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @Escapementt
Tons of great advice already given - so I will just add what I thought when I wanted my "two watch" collection (full disclosure it is now a tad larger). I wanted something that 1) I really loved 2) a great complement to the one I already owned 3) something that was as versatile as the tool watch I had.

I had the Sub C and since it was black dialed, brushed center links, no date and more "casual," I got the YM since it was silver dialed, polished center links, date, and more "dressy." Also, the YM was a watch that always spoke to me even if it wasn't one of the hot models.

I say browse the forums, Rolex website, HODINKEE, and any other WIS place and see what watch makes you stop in your tracks and go "that's the one."
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2018, 11:35 PM   #32
Sebastian5
"TRF" Member

Even though I'm still a one watch guy I already chose what would be my second one. Currently I wear a Oyster Perpetual 39 dark rhodium and my next piece will be a Subc date (116610LN). With those two I got a watch for any occasion. Slowly saving up for it so it's not anytime soon.
Sebastian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2018, 11:40 PM   #33
adawil2002
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16550 Explorer II
I bought a SS Jubilee DJ to go with my Explorer II. It was my second choice when I bought the Exp II.
6284 SS, 16014 SS Jubilee silver stick, 16253 TT Blue Thunderbird, 16550 SS Exp II Cream, bought in 1986, 116400GV Z-blue Milgauss, 79260 Tudor, 116660 DSSD-Blue, 116500LV Daytona White, 116710 BLNR, 326934 Blue Skydweller
adawil2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2018, 11:45 PM   #34
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
My opinion would to be to buy something complimentary - vs the same style. A chrono or maybe a simple 3 hand reference. I'd recommend looking at other brands as well.

If you are set in Rolex, I'd say a DJ41 or a Daytona are great options -- although the premiums Daytonas are bringing can be a real breaker. A Speedmaster moonwatch is a fantastic shrink alternative - also with wonderful history and pedigree.

If budget allows - look into AP -- Lange, Jaeger, etc.

Enjoy the hunt. It's the best part of the hobby.

Just my .02
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 12:11 AM   #35
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephist View Post

My two Datejust collection

Great 2 piece collection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 12:13 AM   #36
PLNYC
"TRF" Member

DJ41 would go well with the GMT
Old 20 October 2018, 01:35 AM   #37
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
My advice is pretty simple.

If you want to add another watch, but you don't know which one, then it's just not time to buy.

Keep doing research, both on the internet, and physically by visiting retail outlets.

When you see the right one, you will know it.

That is the time to buy or at least set your sights on the watch to fulfill your dream.

It took a year to add my second Rolex and I did a lot of research.

Then one day I walked into my AD and there in the case I spied a black dial DJ with sticks and I knew that was my watch.

The only thing was that it had a fluted bezel, which at the time I wasn't fond of, so I placed an order for one with a smooth bezel.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 01:57 AM   #38
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
You don't need a second watch. Until you do. And when you know, you'll know.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 02:04 AM   #39
BakerView
"TRF" Member

Watch: that I'm Jonesin 4
You know how many watches a man needs.......just one more.

2 cents: More unique: Milgauss.
Bit dressy: Yachtmaster
BakerView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 02:06 AM   #40
Aldwyn
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Mast II 116713
For ten years, I was a one watch guy... a Tag Carrera C7. I had thought about adding a professional model Rolex as my "fancy pants watch" for dress up time, off and on.

I decided to pull the trigger, and bought a 16233, TT, champagne with diamond dial for that purpose. But then, as you mentioned... the itch. So I started looking at sports models to compliment it. I really liked the GMT, but the price made me pause, so I ended up with the Exp II in black. Its a decision I do not regret!
Aldwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 02:11 AM   #41
DRKBC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, BLNR
I think you will walk in, try it on and know it’s the one. Just that simple. These things aren’t inexpensive so when the cost and the right watch align in your brain to the point that you go, yup I can see doing this ... that will be the one. I have two now and for me an LV will likely be in my future but it will need to be the right time and the right situation.
DRKBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 02:24 AM   #42
wayne93117
"TRF" Member

For me unfortunately it has been a bit of flipping and trying things out to see what I liked. Most of the time I was able to recoup all but a few hundred bucks on each one. Now I consider myself to be a 3 watch man, but that could be 4 very soon.

For me it became understanding my lifestyle more as it pertains to watches rather, than trying to round out a collection based on more traditional ideology. For me, being more casual/sporty mattered. I also learned that I don't like watched on leather straps. Metal or rubber for me.

Omega Speedmaster MOTM (sold)
Black Subc (never selling)
Tudor black shield chrono on rubber (bought on a special trip, keeping)
Pam 1492 (sold)
Omega Seamaster 1948 LE '12 Olympic (currently for sale)
DJ 16233 (Just picked up this week and loving so far, the TT is so different than everything else I own)

So, 1 sub, 1 Tudor chrono and a TT DJ.

What would I add next? 16570 or something vintage.
wayne93117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 03:26 AM   #43
joespeed29
"TRF" Member

so many great responses and perspectives..
i will read through them all once my day calms down!

THANK YOU all for sharing ... love hearing these first hand accounts!
joespeed29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 03:57 AM   #44
Beckster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLEXster View Post
My 1st Rolex ... couldn’t decide between Sub Date and Explorer II white dial. After a coin toss, I went with Sub Date.

I knew my 2nd would be a white dial, more elegant, more dressy. Not many white dials to choose from, which made my decision easier.

This.

It was my first and initially wanted it to be the only one. Then decided because I travel frequently I needed a GMT. So got that. You've already got the GMT so I recommend getting the 116520 Daytona white dial!
Old 20 October 2018, 04:10 AM   #45
R!$
Banned

Always buy in 2's
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 04:22 AM   #46
RTG

Watch: Sky-Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by joespeed29 View Post
The Itch......

I have the itch to add another piece but i cant for the life of me settle...
[/IMG]
My first was a subtle, tough Explorer II black dial. Wanted a great daily watch that I could do anything with. Second was a more flashy watch, wanted a sexier travel watch, something with some flair.

You have a great black and white SS sports watch with GMT and date. Do you have a use for a dressy option in gold or blue? Add some color or bling!
RTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 06:27 AM   #47
Bosbevok
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day Date 40 GMT II
I have the same watch and added this recently.

Bosbevok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 06:40 AM   #48
rtalk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710T
Depends where you want to take your collection. You can either specialize in GMT or build out a more well balanced collection. If you do the latter, you have to ask what complication or feature will give you the most value. My first Rolex was the GMT, and I thought timing things would be the most useful complication so I bought a chronograph.
116519 Grey dial Oysterflex Daytona. 116500 Black. 116710BLNR. 16710T. Rolex Explorer I 39MM. 4 digit DateJust. JLC Master Control with Sector Dial. Omega FOIS. Grand Seiko Four Seasons (Spring Version). Tudor Royal. IWC Cal 83 (~1940s). 41MM sub. Omega CK859.
rtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 09:00 AM   #49
Pauln
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I’ve been a on watch man for just under two years. Really love my 214270. Gradually, over the last month, the argument has begun in my head between one side that swears I need another watch and the other side that says the 214270 is all I need. I fear it’s a losing battle. Been looking at five digit polar exp2s.
Pauln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 02:32 PM   #50
Jerz616
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570, 116710LN
I started out with a polar 216570 because I had wanted a white dial watch after wearing a black Tag Aquaracer for 10 years and I loved the orange 24hr hand. Then I decided I needed to add a darker piece and wanted a BLNR,but was fortunate to pick up this 116710LN today and I love the contrast between the two. So that’s how I decided. One black, one white. Would love to ad some other variations later down the road but I’m pretty content now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 954AC061-EE21-4109-AA7B-8D193D52C9BD.jpeg (127.3 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpeg C0DFA58C-8DBA-4882-A7C5-974795CD4ECA.jpeg (104.5 KB, 77 views)
Jerz616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 02:47 PM   #51
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I would look to add something that does not look like what you have. I would look at the Hulk, Polar Explorer II, SS DJ with a light color dial. The Submariner lineup offers a lot and the Hulk, is a true beauty.

I agree with this. I’ll be getting my Hulk to go along with my BLNR next week and I can’t wait.
mistercoach32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 04:37 PM   #52
joespeed29
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerz616 View Post
I started out with a polar 216570 because I had wanted a white dial watch after wearing a black Tag Aquaracer for 10 years and I loved the orange 24hr hand. Then I decided I needed to add a darker piece and wanted a BLNR,but was fortunate to pick up this 116710LN today and I love the contrast between the two. So that’s how I decided. One black, one white. Would love to ad some other variations later down the road but I’m pretty content now.

these two seem to be a very popular combo...

AND WOW @ the lume on the ExpII!!
Old 20 October 2018, 04:39 PM   #53
joespeed29
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtalk View Post
Depends where you want to take your collection. You can either specialize in GMT or build out a more well balanced collection. If you do the latter, you have to ask what complication or feature will give you the most value. My first Rolex was the GMT, and I thought timing things would be the most useful complication so I bought a chronograph.

interesting i thought today of going the GMT route, but perhaps venturing out to other brands, PAM, Breitling (my entrance into swiss watches) and who knows what else...

Funny you should mention complication because I chose the GMT because of the complication and that it wasnt 'justa' nother sub...hehe
Old 20 October 2018, 04:49 PM   #54
joespeed29
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTG View Post
My first was a subtle, tough Explorer II black dial. Wanted a great daily watch that I could do anything with. Second was a more flashy watch, wanted a sexier travel watch, something with some flair.

You have a great black and white SS sports watch with GMT and date. Do you have a use for a dressy option in gold or blue? Add some color or bling!
I wear a suit pretty much daily and this is my go to.. i cant see myself wearing a TT or a bluesy for that matter.. a little too flashy for my taste.. but i like where your heads at,,, maybe look at something with a little more stand outish??.... hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckster View Post
This.

It was my first and initially wanted it to be the only one. Then decided because I travel frequently I needed a GMT. So got that. You've already got the GMT so I recommend getting the 116520 Daytona white dial!
This could be very well be something I buy in my peak earning years...an amazing piece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosbevok View Post
I have the same watch and added this recently.
beautiful
Old 20 October 2018, 05:43 PM   #55
starg
"TRF" Member

Its more difficult in making a choice for a first watch, you have a lot to thing about and still not make the perfect decision, second cant be a difficult as the first cause you've passed that stage. In time you wont have to go through such difficulty in getting a watch.
starg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 06:38 PM   #56
R G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwang0520 View Post
daytona, sub, or datejust........

That, is the perfect Rolex trio.
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 12:21 PM   #57
Bosbevok
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day Date 40 GMT II
Quote:
I wear a suit pretty much daily and this is my go to.. i cant see myself wearing a TT or a bluesy for that matter.. a little too flashy for my taste.. but i like where your heads at,,, maybe look at something with a little more stand outish??.... hmmm

This could be very well be something I buy in my peak earning years...an amazing piece

beautiful

Thanks mate.

Bosbevok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2018, 02:40 PM   #58
Bigkev
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, 216750 Pola
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerz616 View Post

I’m with you. I’m looking to add a polar to compliment my sub. Perfect match!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Bigkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2018, 02:54 PM   #59
DJExplorer
"TRF" Member

Explorer II polar.
The lume, the size, the orange GMT pop, the tool watch.
And not to forget that bright white dial.
DJExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2018, 03:20 PM   #60
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
Quote:
ugh..i wish i didnt agree with this sentiment...

i did try this on when i purchased my GMTc

if this had been on a jubilee it would have been a VERY difficult decision
Love the DJ2.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
BrazenC5 is offline   Reply With Quote