The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 11 October 2018, 01:38 AM   #1
danestaff
Banned

Watch: 5968a
Pp 5968a

If you were lucky enough would u flip this so quickly

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Patek%...31/item/122399

Discuss
danestaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 01:40 AM   #2
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Lets not and say we did.
Old 11 October 2018, 01:57 AM   #3
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
I wouldn’t buy to flip - too damaging to your relationship with your AD.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 02:00 AM   #4
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Someone had one for sale in FS section here with a very hefty premium, so clearly people are doing it.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 02:16 AM   #5
danestaff
Banned

I'm due one from my ad, and I wouldn't personally do it, as u wont get another high end pp for a good few years
Old 11 October 2018, 03:02 AM   #6
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danestaff View Post
I'm due one from my ad, and I wouldn't personally do it, as u wont get another high end pp for a good few years
its the low end ones you want to get anyway

The 5968 is still more or less in that area
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 03:10 AM   #7
danestaff
Banned

maybe i shouldn't have said high end , but im sure u get my drift
Old 11 October 2018, 03:14 AM   #8
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danestaff View Post
maybe i shouldn't have said high end , but im sure u get my drift
yeah... i was commenting on the irony of what Pateks they will cut you off from
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 03:52 AM   #9
vladamir15
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, VC, Breguet
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
yeah... i was commenting on the irony of what Pateks they will cut you off from
How would they find out?

Audemars, Vacheron, Breguet, Jaquet Droz, JLC, Rolex, Omega, Cartier
vladamir15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 05:55 AM   #10
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
What a monster price, orange is the new crack.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 07:19 AM   #11
Tsfc
"TRF" Member

These are so cool, really like them!
Tsfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2018, 02:48 AM   #12
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladamir15 View Post
How would they find out?
The AD registers the watch with Patek with the original owners details. If the new owner (the one who purchase it from Watchfinder) registers the watch with Patek they would find out that the watch had been sold buy the original owner.
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2018, 02:57 AM   #13
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Philip View Post
The AD registers the watch with Patek with the original owners details. If the new owner (the one who purchase it from Watchfinder) registers the watch with Patek they would find out that the watch had been sold buy the original owner.

This would assume PP actually cares enough, I suspect they do not. But the consensus these days is to say and believe they do. I'm not really buying it however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12 October 2018, 03:32 AM   #14
Oryx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
This would assume PP actually cares enough, I suspect they do not. But the consensus these days is to say and believe they do. I'm not really buying it however.

Patek do care. They are quite obsessive about this especially where the watch is new and in very high demand
Oryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2018, 03:37 AM   #15
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oryx View Post
patek do care. They are quite obsessive about this especially where the watch is new and in very high demand
ok.
Old 12 October 2018, 07:42 AM   #16
remz07twos
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I sold PP for a few years and have had several clients be bounced by PP when inquiring about purchasing pieces. They care A LOT. Even if you flipped an aquanaut 3 years ago, they’d say no to anything today.
remz07twos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2018, 07:48 AM   #17
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by remz07twos View Post
I sold PP for a few years and have had several clients be bounced by PP when inquiring about purchasing pieces. They care A LOT. Even if you flipped an aquanaut 3 years ago, they’d say no to anything today.
I am aware of some one who flipped a 5575G and a 5131R relatively soon after obtaining the watches and he still gets special pieces from Patek.
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2018, 08:08 AM   #18
remz07twos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Philip View Post
I am aware of some one who flipped a 5575G and a 5131R relatively soon after obtaining the watches and he still gets special pieces from Patek.
And I’m aware of someone who flipped a TCO stamped 5167 and was turned down to buy anything else. Or a client who wanted to buy a 6 figure piece who I was told to pass on as well. Some people get away with it. Some don’t. PP looks. And PP cares. It depends who you flip to and how you do it.

But thanks for letting me know it’s not like it was literally my job.
remz07twos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2018, 08:29 AM   #19
tchaic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tag Heuer 2000
I’ll chime in and agree they definitely care. I for one appreciate it. Gives me a chance at some cool pieces!
tchaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2018, 08:56 AM   #20
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Pp 5968a

Quote:
Originally Posted by remz07twos View Post
Edit: Misread your 3 year part.

Gray dealers keep ending up with desirable models. So what you are saying is they are getting them from first time buyers who want to make a little money and be done with PP since they could never buy again. Or they buy from repeat buyers who have access to these models who seem to still be able to get them over and over (does not fit your theory). Or they get them direct from AD's somehow over and over? And this just continues with PP knowing about it and supposedly caring so much? Sorry, not buying it.

Old 12 October 2018, 11:40 AM   #21
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Edit: Misread your 3 year part.

Gray dealers keep ending up with desirable models. So what you are saying is they are getting them from first time buyers who want to make a little money and be done with PP since they could never buy again. Or they buy from repeat buyers who have access to these models who seem to still be able to get them over and over (does not fit your theory). Or they get them direct from AD's somehow over and over? And this just continues with PP knowing about it and supposedly caring so much? Sorry, not buying it.

Grey dealers obviously got the plugs. Grey dealers just didnt have someone walk into their store and offer the 5968 just like "that"
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2018, 12:35 PM   #22
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchLurv View Post
Grey dealers obviously got the plugs. Grey dealers just didnt have someone walk into their store and offer the 5968 just like "that"

Ok, so how do they get it? If poster I quoted is correct and a grey acquires one and sells it, wouldn't they then be black balled? Or if they bought from a reputable buyer, wouldn't that buyer then be black balled? So they either have a bench of people they cycle through who get these pieces (which are supposedly only available to buyers with "relationships"), they have a crap ton of one off buyers who don't give a crap and manage to get the hard to get pieces with no care for buying more (since they would supposedly be black balled after), or the greys themselves have a line to PP. No matter what you pick there, PP really giving a crap doesn't add up.

Old 12 October 2018, 12:44 PM   #23
WatchLurv
Banned

Quote:
Ok, so how do they get it? If poster I quoted is correct and a grey acquires one and sells it, wouldn't they then be black balled? Or if they bought from a reputable buyer, wouldn't that buyer then be black balled? So they either have a bench of people they cycle through who get these pieces (which are supposedly only available to buyers with "relationships"), they have a crap ton of one off buyers who don't give a crap and manage to get the hard to get pieces with no care for buying more (since they would supposedly be black balled after), or the greys themselves have a line to PP. No matter what you pick there, PP really giving a crap doesn't add up.

-Put a different name down on the warranty. Does Patek require photo ID of the guy who puts his name down on the warranty? Nope.
-Grey dealer has shopped there and picked up dead Patek pieces.

No AD will give up the grey dealer...It's a cornerstone of their business. Mr Smith isn't going to pick up all the left over stock that sits in the store for an extended amount of time. Mr Smith only wants a 5968, 5711 and 5712 (all steel)... Mr Smith can get in line like everyone else and wait for the next 10 years. Business first, relationship after.
Old 12 October 2018, 12:52 PM   #24
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
-Put a different name down on the warranty. Does Patek require photo ID of the guy who puts his name down on the warranty? Nope.

-Grey dealer has shopped there and picked up dead Patek pieces.

No AD will give up the grey dealer...It's a cornerstone of their business. Mr Smith isn't going to pick up all the left over stock that sits in the store for an extended amount of time. Mr Smith only wants a 5968, 5711 and 5712 (all steel)... Mr Smith can get in line like everyone else and wait for the next 10 years. Business first, relationship after.

So you are saying bad AD's are to blame for selling to greys so they can get rid of inventory? These AD's have a bank of fictitious buyers (one grey dealer) with the same legit credit card (and receipts) and if PP really cared, they couldn't audit those transactions? Again, if they really wanted to stop it, I think they could. They may care but not enough to make it stop.

Old 12 October 2018, 12:58 PM   #25
WatchLurv
Banned

Quote:
So you are saying bad AD's are to blame for selling to greys so they can get rid of inventory? These AD's have a bank of fictitious buyers (one grey dealer) with the same legit credit card (and receipts) and if PP really cared, they couldn't audit those transactions? Again, if they really wanted to stop it, I think they could. They may care but not enough to make it stop.

I wouldn't call them bad ADs...They're in this business to make a living, and Mr Smith isn't buying some dead piece that's been in the window for the past 24 months. The grey dealer will. You can't just keep a shop open by only selling your 2 nautilus and 2 aquanauts a year.

If PP puts a "gun" to their head and tell them to open their books or risk losing their license, I'm sure you can get forensic accountants to trace the money back to the origins. It depends how cunning the ADs are... Do they receive bankwires, cash, CC etc. and how do you prove that Mr X who purchased 3 watches in one day is a grey dealer? The point is, it is more effort and costly to do a witchhunt than to just "mind your own business" of who the AD sells to.
Old 12 October 2018, 01:03 PM   #26
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Pp 5968a

Quote:
I wouldn't call them bad ADs...They're in this business to make a living, and Mr Smith isn't buying some dead piece that's been in the window for the past 24 months. The grey dealer will. You can't just keep a shop open by only selling your 2 nautilus and 2 aquanauts a year.

If PP puts a "gun" to their head and tell them to open their books or risk losing their license, I'm sure you can get forensic accountants to trace the money back to the origins. It depends how cunning the ADs are... Do they receive bankwires, cash, CC etc. and how do you prove that Mr X who purchased 3 watches in one day is a grey dealer? The point is, it is more effort and costly to do a witchhunt than to just "mind your own business" of who the AD sells to.

To be clear, I have no beef at all with greys or how it works, I get it. I am just disagreeing with the poster above and the general idea that PP (or others) really care that much about all of this.

If I'm PP/AP/Rolex, I'm loving this climate right now and I'll keep up the facade that I care about the sales process but I'm not gonna go out of my way either to screw over those who are moving my product. I just don't think they really care as much as some here wish to believe. Again, I get it.

Old 12 October 2018, 01:07 PM   #27
WatchLurv
Banned

Quote:
To be clear, I have no beef at all with greys or how it works, I get it. I am just disagreeing with the poster above and the general idea that PP (or others) really care that much about all of this.

If I'm PP/AP/Rolex, I'm loving this climate right now and I'll keep up the facade that I care about the sales process but I'm not gonna go out of my way either to screw over those who are moving my product. I just don't think they really care as much as some here wish to believe. Again, I get it.

PP and Rolex seem to care less. AP is trying to setup a secondary market where theyll buy back their own watches ...wont work out. You need greys to do the same numbers they get in. It works in a cycle...if greys are eliminated, their numbers wouldnt hit nearly the same.
Old 12 October 2018, 01:18 PM   #28
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
PP and Rolex seem to care less. AP is trying to setup a secondary market where theyll buy back their own watches ...wont work out. You need greys to do the same numbers they get in. It works in a cycle...if greys are eliminated, their numbers wouldnt hit nearly the same.

Not sure AP's intention is necessarily to cut out the secondary market to care about their customers. They will also make money on that, along with their no AD model they seem to be moving towards. Brilliant move to be honest, while the market is hot, will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Old 12 October 2018, 01:24 PM   #29
WatchLurv
Banned

Quote:
Not sure AP's intention is necessarily to cut out the secondary market to care about their customers. They will also make money on that, along with their no AD model they seem to be moving towards. Brilliant move to be honest, while the market is hot, will be interesting to see how that plays out.

By the speed theyre doing, theyll have less shops than Patek. They're not RM, so not sure why they're moving towards this sort of market when they have models in the "lower range"
Old 12 October 2018, 01:35 PM   #30
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Doubt they have enough resources to audit AD sales effectively. PP don’t have enough watchmakers to provide reasonable service times for repairs, so which army of theirs is going to be charged with stopping the flipping of their hot watches? And I cannot believe PP will punish a major buyer/collector for flipping a watch. And I’m a PP fan, albeit with a suspicious mind.