The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 October 2018, 01:38 PM   #31
martinr
"TRF" Member

Symbiotic relationship, one hand washes the other.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2018, 01:52 PM   #32
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
Symbiotic relationship, one hand washes the other.
Correct.
Old 12 October 2018, 08:52 PM   #33
Aqua75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danestaff View Post
If you were lucky enough would u flip this so quickly

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Patek%...31/item/122399

Discuss
Madness to sell so quickly, especially to Watchfinder. Why would you?
I know for a fact that my AD regularly checks Watchfinder’s stock to try and see if they think any of their desirable pieces have been flipped. And then your relationship will be ruined.
If you wear a watch for a few months and decide it’s not for you then that’s fine and it’s up to you what you do with it, but to sell immediately after buying...
I guess the only legitimate reason would be if you suddenly had a massive change of circumstances and desperately needed the money back.
Aqua75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2018, 11:10 AM   #34
remz07twos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
Ok, so how do they get it? If poster I quoted is correct and a grey acquires one and sells it, wouldn't they then be black balled? Or if they bought from a reputable buyer, wouldn't that buyer then be black balled? So they either have a bench of people they cycle through who get these pieces (which are supposedly only available to buyers with "relationships"), they have a crap ton of one off buyers who don't give a crap and manage to get the hard to get pieces with no care for buying more (since they would supposedly be black balled after), or the greys themselves have a line to PP. No matter what you pick there, PP really giving a crap doesn't add up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Never got a chance to repond but im sure goes a few directions. 1) first time buyer plays fast and loose and screws himself trying to flip as an individual. This is one interaction i had. 2) High level clients for ADs flip profitable allocations to greys when the opportunity presents itself. Gives you a great relationship with the AD Bc you’re a big spender, and the grey loves you for getting pieces. Or 3) grey pays over retail for allocation.

Could be any of those things. But like I said, I’ve been instructed directly more than once not to sell to someone Bc they flipped an allocation. It’s like speeding. Some get caught, some don’t.
remz07twos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2018, 06:02 PM   #35
SilverFoxUK
"TRF" Member

Enjoying this debate...question - at what point does flipping cross over into selling? I read a post on here where someone sold a 5167 ‘soon’ after buying it as they wanted a 5164 instead. So let’s imagine that was a month or two after purchase. Would PP or the AD really mind a person selling their 5167 to finance another PP at much higher cost? Now let’s say you sold your PP watch after 6 months because you lost your job or hit hard times for another reason, who judges if that is too soon, or if your reason for selling is ‘acceptable’?
SilverFoxUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2018, 06:10 PM   #36
danestaff
Banned

Watch: 5968a
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFoxUK View Post
Enjoying this debate...question - at what point does flipping cross over into selling? I read a post on here where someone sold a 5167 ‘soon’ after buying it as they wanted a 5164 instead. So let’s imagine that was a month or two after purchase. Would PP or the AD really mind a person selling their 5167 to finance another PP at much higher cost? Now let’s say you sold your PP watch after 6 months because you lost your job or hit hard times for another reason, who judges if that is too soon, or if your reason for selling is ‘acceptable’?

see for me personally , flipping is within 1 week to 6 months, selling is after a year and if you have a good relationship with your AD , i wold talk to them and let them know, that way they are always in the loop, especially if circumstances change

but hey thats just me
danestaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2018, 07:45 PM   #37
yoast
"TRF" Member

pp want you to keep the watch for at least 2 years before you sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFoxUK View Post
Old 18 October 2018, 12:22 AM   #38
Pingparme
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Philip View Post
I am aware of some one who flipped a 5575G and a 5131R relatively soon after obtaining the watches and he still gets special pieces from Patek.

Yes agree, your AD wouldn’t care less, as long as you are continuing to buy from them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pingparme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2018, 01:22 AM   #39
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingparme View Post
Yes agree, your AD wouldn’t care less, as long as you are continuing to buy from them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
some AD's care absolutely and will blacklist you. As far as Patek, who knows, but who you are is probably a factor and what kind of expensive pieces you own.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2018, 07:19 AM   #40
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoast View Post
pp want you to keep the watch for at least 2 years before you sell.
Patek wants you to keep the watch for at least 2 generations to live up to their marketing tagline
MCMartiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2018, 07:21 AM   #41
Donjo
"TRF" Member

Personally, I would enjoy it for a year or two, get tired of it, and move on to the next piece.
Donjo is offline   Reply With Quote