The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 7 December 2019, 07:03 PM   #91
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
Clearly taking advantage.
Not to mention taking the piss. But so long as there are customers willing to do this, ADs will do it. You can't blame them for trying. They are in business to stay in business.
Harry-57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 07:08 PM   #92
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
Maybe just depends on geography. Around these parts they want to know you won’t flip and select their customers for pieces. If they have a sniff that you’re a flipper you won’t get the piece. Again maybe different where you are as you’re thousands of miles from me

Yeah, must be nice to be in your market. One day I walked in and my SA was in the room and I could see 3 boxes in front of the customer. When I came back I asked what he purchased and it was a Hulk, Blue Sky Dweller, and something else. I asked how was he able to purchase 3 hot models at the same time and he said this guy has purchased around 60 various SS watches over the last two years. I made a comment that he must be doing good flipping these and my SA replied that if he’s buying that many he can do what he wants with it.
So to your point I think if you’re only looking for hot models with little to no history they will sniff you out, but if you’re buying multiple watches per month they will happily look the other way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 11:01 PM   #93
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipereaper30 View Post
How are AD's finding buyers willing to put up with this? It's grey market for me if I want the watch that bad in the case you describe.
How are those two things so different?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 11:53 PM   #94
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
How are those two things so different?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Transparent market pricing with immediate gratification vs. a sliding scale of required purchases for the possibility of being offered a SS hot model. And by going grey you get the added bonus of avoiding the arrogance of said AD.
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 04:47 AM   #95
djyolky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post
Yeah, must be nice to be in your market. One day I walked in and my SA was in the room and I could see 3 boxes in front of the customer. When I came back I asked what he purchased and it was a Hulk, Blue Sky Dweller, and something else. I asked how was he able to purchase 3 hot models at the same time and he said this guy has purchased around 60 various SS watches over the last two years. I made a comment that he must be doing good flipping these and my SA replied that if he’s buying that many he can do what he wants with it.
So to your point I think if you’re only looking for hot models with little to no history they will sniff you out, but if you’re buying multiple watches per month they will happily look the other way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly brotha.... People need to listen up and pay attention. Rolex doesn't care if you're a watch enthusiast or a flipper, it's all the same to them.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
djyolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 06:49 AM   #96
Robtayham
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
Maybe just depends on geography. Around these parts they want to know you won’t flip and select their customers for pieces. If they have a sniff that you’re a flipper you won’t get the piece. Again maybe different where you are as you’re thousands of miles from me
This gets included with all the lies our parents told us when we were kids: there’s a Santa Claus; there’s an Easter Bunny; there’s a tooth fairy; eating carrots will let you see in the dark; etc.

Don’t kid yourself, the ADs are telling you the same type of lies, because they don’t want to tell you the truth: ‘you’re not a VIP and we’re not selling to you’.

Everything else they say is to lull you into a false state of docile acquiescence.
Robtayham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 08:36 AM   #97
J-rob
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djyolky View Post
Exactly brotha.... People need to listen up and pay attention. Rolex doesn't care if you're a watch enthusiast or a flipper, it's all the same to them.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Bingo
J-rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 08:37 AM   #98
J-rob
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robtayham View Post
This gets included with all the lies our parents told us when we were kids: there’s a Santa Claus; there’s an Easter Bunny; there’s a tooth fairy; eating carrots will let you see in the dark; etc.

Don’t kid yourself, the ADs are telling you the same type of lies, because they don’t want to tell you the truth: ‘you’re not a VIP and we’re not selling to you’.

Everything else they say is to lull you into a false state of docile acquiescence.
I’m glad that some folks can see the situation for what it really is. Dealers want to move units and they will leverage hot models for every extra ounce they can squeeze. What you do after is of no consequence to them.
J-rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 03:27 PM   #99
JePro
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613 / 126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
We're on a Rolex forum--every problem is a first world problem to us.
Absolutely! I wouldn't patronize that AD.
JePro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 03:28 PM   #100
JePro
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613 / 126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robtayham View Post

" docile acquiescence" - What a great term to describe someone, learned something new today :)
JePro is offline   Reply With Quote