The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 30 November 2019, 01:42 PM   #1
pkrussel
"TRF" Member

Tudor Sub 7928

Hi Folks

I hope you guys can point me in the right direction! I just received a super special heirloom from my uncle, his 1967 Tudor 7928. I’ve been drooling over this watch since I was around 10 yrs old and appreciated nice watches.

Anyways, I need to get it refinished, the dial and crystal and maybe the bezel as well. The dial is potentially a repainted dial since the Rose is poorly done and the curved/smiley “self-winding” is straight as well. My uncle sent the watch off to somewhere in Texas(not sure where about 20 years ago) and they swapped or repainted the dial and replaced the dome crystal.

Do you guys have any recommendations on where to send or look for a replacement dial? I thought of the obvious RSC or Mike Rollieworks, but I don’t know if they would have a dial to replace?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advanced TRF!
pkrussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2019, 01:47 PM   #2
pkrussel
"TRF" Member

http://s608.photobucket.com/user/pkr...wvrft.png.html
Old 30 November 2019, 02:44 PM   #3
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

dial is indeed a repaint. hard to source an original anymore. They show up on ebay time to time. If you get it serviced at Rolex, they may be able to source you a service dial with a shield not a rose dial.
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2019, 02:54 PM   #4
Juhuatai
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5508 & 9401
I think they should still have lumi service dials, I got one for a 75090 in 2016.
Juhuatai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2019, 10:53 PM   #5
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Photobucket is horrible for photos and going there near locks up my computer (which is fast).

Skip RSC. Find some better local service or tell us where you are. Plenty of decent people to ship to.

Sure it is a 67? 57x-579 serial? That will make the dial somewhat easier to find if you keep looking. You will need a standard Rose dial, not outer track - see example below. And of course there are service dials to chose from. A 1965 and earlier dial will be very expensive and difficult to source.

Bezel and insert are fine but if you want one new and shiny, I'll trade you a new and shiny for that old dilapidated and faded one ; ) )

Old 1 December 2019, 12:00 AM   #6
pkrussel
"TRF" Member

Thank you gentlemen for all of the advise and help! I’m glad I can skip RSC, I’m in the South East in NC/SC. Linesiders good call I didn’t realize it wasn’t a track dial or there was a difference! It’s a 507XXX aerial number so it looks like 67-68?

I’m really glad the bezel is good to go and I like it, prob will hold on to it! I think the crystal is a replacement though, prob can’t tell from the horrible picture!

Thanks guys I’m all ears and really appreciate the expertise!

Cheers
Old 1 December 2019, 12:00 AM   #7
pkrussel
"TRF" Member

And that’s a beautiful rose dial linesiders! Really sharp with the NATO!
Old 1 December 2019, 12:15 AM   #8
linesiders

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrussel View Post
Thank you gentlemen for all of the advise and help! I’m glad I can skip RSC, I’m in the South East in NC/SC. Linesiders good call I didn’t realize it wasn’t a track dial or there was a difference! It’s a 507XXX aerial number so it looks like 67-68?

I’m really glad the bezel is good to go and I like it, prob will hold on to it! I think the crystal is a replacement though, prob can’t tell from the horrible picture!

Thanks guys I’m all ears and really appreciate the expertise!

Cheers
Looking to semi-retire down that way in a few years.

OK, 507k is a 1965 (typically III quarter 65 caseback) which means this dial can either have the gilt track silver print dial which is about double the price of the non-chapter ring. Or it can have the chapter ring. The attached photos are for a 507k, III.65.

Yes - the bezel is nice just as it is and correct and original for that time.

Quote:
And that’s a beautiful rose dial linesiders! Really sharp with the NATO!
Thanks. Vintage Tudor is my focus.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7928KW-Silv-1 (Custom).JPG (220.3 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg 7928KW-Silv-2a (Custom).jpg (234.0 KB, 127 views)
Old 1 December 2019, 12:44 AM   #9
pkrussel
"TRF" Member

Come on down it’s nice here, the people are the best part and you have the mountains and beach on each side of the state.

Oh very cool! Didn’t realize it was that old! My uncles father bought it in 1967 so it was a few years old.

I think I’ll find the non-chapter version unless I can find a chapter ring version for a descent price. I appreciate the help! If you think of anywhere to look besides eBay please let me know. I’ll post on the Sales corners to try and find one. I think a new old stock crystal may be fairly easy to find?

Thanks again.
Old 1 December 2019, 01:48 AM   #10
linesiders

Quote:
Come on down it’s nice here, the people are the best part and you have the mountains and beach on each side of the state.
Love West NC/East TN but I am a coastal beach driving fishing type so it may need to be east NC ; ) . Tired of the attenuation / erosion of my rights up here but don't want to be poli here...

Quote:
Oh very cool! Didn’t realize it was that old! My uncles father bought it in 1967 so it was a few years old.

I think I’ll find the non-chapter version unless I can find a chapter ring version for a descent price. I appreciate the help! If you think of anywhere to look besides eBay please let me know. I’ll post on the Sales corners to try and find one. I think a new old stock crystal may be fairly easy to find?

Thanks again.
Either dial is acceptable, the chapter ring dials are more money. Ebay is probably the most common but still only 4 or 5 show up per year. What often happens is a full but fair watch with a nice dial is broken up in order to put a nice dial in a great case.

I would suggest a service crystal if you wear it a lot. And a good watchmaker could fix it. There is a thread with watchmakers at the top of this forum, read thru and get a good grasp, then ask for recs. Shoot me a PM if you have more questions.
Old 1 December 2019, 03:57 AM   #11
pkrussel
"TRF" Member

Hey thanks a lot I appreciate that. I’ll do some researching and reach out. I think a service crystal will be the way to go and I’ll start looking on eBay frequently. I’m ready to start wearing this beauty. I get it the mountains are great but I’m from the coast and get it! Let me know if you have any questions if you decide to move. Been here my whole life and love the state.

Have a great weekend