The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 April 2011, 11:42 PM   #31
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
I'm fond of lots of brands. I do feel strongly that if you're going to have one watch to last you the next 50 years, Rolex is the way to go. Once you got a Rolex, do whatever.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2011, 11:49 PM   #32
JP1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosco View Post
Doesn't have to be one or another - there are too many brands out there. In my opinion Rolex, IWC, and JLC should be represented in everybody's collection.
+2

No need to make it an either/or situation! My wedding watch is a JLC white gold sun/moon reverso duo! I went the other way - for some reason, used to dislike Rolex with a passion, but lately have become a huge Rolex fan.
JP1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2011, 11:51 PM   #33
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I love Rolexes but like you I wanted variety. I got into JLC with the Reverso and Master Control models. I'm consolidating the two into the anniversary USA model Reverso. I've found myself moving from brand to brand (and only keeping one model from each brand - or at least unsuccessfully trying to!). Went through the same thing with Rolex, Panerai, IWC, AP, and now Patek. Looking at Lange, Glashutte Original, and RM now. Thankfully I've kept to the "simple" models and avoided the grande complications... although tourbillons are increasingly attractive.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2011, 12:12 AM   #34
Bob Gott
"TRF" Member

Buy what you like, it's your collection. You only need to make yourself happy with the decision. I would go for it and get the Jaeger.
Bob Gott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2011, 05:37 AM   #35
Chad C.

Watch: Explorer / GMT IIc
I have been going through the same thing. I was dead set on a GMT IIc - I love the watch - it is beautiful. However, I thought about diversifying once I saw the PAM 359. Now I am leaning towards a JLC Master Control Chronograph or IWC Portuguese Automatic.

What drew me to the PAM initially (besides the look, of course) was the flexibility in changing the straps for different occasions.) However, I am not convinced that it will look good with a suit - which I wear daily. I am now thinking of going a little more formal and I think both the JLC and IWC will complement professional attire (and can still be dressed down).
Chad C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2011, 05:59 AM   #36
threemonkeys
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc, AK, LVc
Great post, Dan. I, too, have been eyeing other brands (JLC specifically). The only thing stopping me from buying one is all the history (or should I say branding/marketing) around the Rolex name. I still find Rolex owns me, but it's nice to envision a little diversity in one's collection.
threemonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2011, 06:03 AM   #37
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Agree! Rolex (and TRF) is the foundation and anchor to my watch madness, but now I'm really after this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ALangeSohne.jpg (66.3 KB, 53 views)
Montblanc Meisterstück Diamond Mozart BP
Montblanc Meisterstück Mozart BP
Numismatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2011, 06:22 AM   #38
rolexsubdate
Banned

Rolex used to have that going for them, I mean that they last a lifetime with propercare and that's because other watches were so shitty ...
Nowdays, even a seiko monster would last a lifetime with proper care...

IT is all a marketing hype ... Yes Rolexes keep ticking for a long time but so do many others.... so buy what makes you happy ...
rolexsubdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2011, 06:27 AM   #39
rolexertion

I view pretty much every other watch maker as 'every other watchmaker', except Rolex. Part of that is, if watch A costs $5K and Watch B costs $10K, but Watch A is worth $2K five years later and watch B is still worth $10K, which really costs more?

Another part is; I'm not sure I agree with the idea that you can't polish a turd. You probably can polish a turd, but at the end of the day it's still a turd. I've seen lots of watches that look all glittery and blingy and buffed-up through their back window, but they don't work worth a damn compared to a Rolex. The side of each part that you can see is polished and perfect, but on the back of those same parts they are as rough as a cob. Rolex might not give much of a sh!t what the works look like but they finish them appropriately, on both sides, to work forever whatever the weather. The rest are only concerned about the looks of their overpolished, overpriced, overhyped safe queens, and that simply bores the bejeezus out of me.

If you want to pay for somebody to polish each screw-head by hand for 50 or 100 dollars an hour, you're welcome to it but I've been there, done that and now I'm back to Rolexes.

PS, imho any company that puts turbullions into wristwatches is fulla hot air, and you can quote me. That phony technology represents the most cynical, useless price-jacking strategy in the industry. It makes even less sense than putting wire-wheel hubcaps on a Ferrari.
rolexertion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2011, 10:52 AM   #40
rolexsubdate
Banned

I agree .. Rolex does use original materials and that's a reason their watches look new when polished. But so do many other manufacturers. Don't be afraid of trying different brands .... but gotta give the RESALE factor to Rolex, hands down ....
rolexsubdate is offline   Reply With Quote