The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 15 May 2016, 11:04 AM   #1
Dusko.Popov
"TRF" Member

Please help me understand ...

I'm trying to understand the love for Panerai. And I don't mean this at all disrespectfully. Stylistically, it's seems sorta pedestrian but also very utilitarian. I see them and don't really know what to think.

I don't understand them but I want to understand them and why people love them. Is there some unique history, build quality, a certain utility element, production rarity?

Again, I'd like to know more from people who appreciate them.

Thanks.
Dusko.Popov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2016, 01:54 PM   #2
socialpro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex || Panerai
For me its the history, durability, unique style (you KNOW a panerai when you see one), community and collectability of certain pieces that attract me to Panerai. In a market thats crowded with watches and brands that try to be many things in one - Panerai bucks the trend where a lot of their base models dont even offer a 'seconds' hand.

Many of their watches offer simple understated design with a bold face - in an attractive case that simply scream 'manly' to me!
socialpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2016, 01:55 PM   #3
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Simplicity and intent of purpose
Old 15 May 2016, 07:54 PM   #4
Minimalist
"TRF" Member

Have you ever tried one on....?
Minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2016, 08:47 PM   #5
Jocke
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
I was thinking the same for 20 years, not appealing at all.

Then I got my first one last year and my second one this year.

I still don't get why I like them but at the moment I love them.

I read about the history of the brand and it's very interesting to follow.

Sorry I dont have the answer for you but try one and see what you feel and think about the brand.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2016, 11:17 PM   #6
77T

The history is worth a view:
http://www.panerai.com/en-us/about-p...tory.html#2007

What is interesting is the fidelity of the current watch's look to those of the early 20th century.

Few brands have kept their religion as well as Panerai methinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2016, 11:54 PM   #7
ronin_ph
"TRF" Member

I'd like to get one and have been looking for sources to educate myself. As some have said, hey all look pretty similar and i don't yet understand the difference between the panerai, luminous, marina, etc versions.

I do think the PR dials are pretty cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ronin_ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2016, 01:06 AM   #8
Babolat
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT GMTIIc V Series
Try one on and then you will know .... Strap changing is also an excellent feature !!
Babolat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2016, 01:18 AM   #9
Dusko.Popov
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimalist View Post
Have you ever tried one on....?
I have not but am interested in trying one on actually. Something about them is so absolutely discourteous to my ordinary watch wearing proclivities but I find myself oddly attracted to them ... and for reasons that I can't explain. Maybe it's the utilitarian look. I can't put my finger on it. I scroll through pictures and I don't know why I'm doing it or even posting on this sub forum because the watch is nothing like what I would ordinarily wear. The crown guard seems like it was manufactured by Fisher price and the numbers look like the brain child of the person who invented the jitter bug phone, but again, I'm uniquely attracted to the watch and am strongly considering trying one on.

This whole post probably seems about as incongruent as a post can be but I'm trying to explain, probably ineffectively at this point, the point of my original thread.
Old 16 May 2016, 01:21 AM   #10
Dusko.Popov
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
The history is worth a view:
http://www.panerai.com/en-us/about-p...tory.html#2007

What is interesting is the fidelity of the current watch's look to those of the early 20th century.
Thank you; this helps a lot. And thank you for mentioning about fidelity to the look as I know that's the reason that I enjoy the submariner and speedy pro so much, and also why I stopped wearing Omega Seamasters. It's almost like Omega doesn't know what to do with that line.
Old 16 May 2016, 01:23 AM   #11
Dusko.Popov
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post

Sorry I dont have the answer for you but try one and see what you feel and think about the brand.
I think that I'm wear you once were - trying to convince myself that it's unappealing but with a secretly strong attraction to it and urge to try one on.
Old 16 May 2016, 01:28 AM   #12
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
I really love the simplicity of the base models. The variety of looks and feel via multiple straps is a big plus as well.

I never wear them with suits so mine also gives me a more relaxed vibe because it only gets worn on weekends or vacation time.

If you try one you might be in trouble. :D
lig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2016, 01:29 AM   #13
mfer
"TRF" Member

I used to think they were cartoonish. I saw the pics and didn't get it. My AD at the time forced, literally made me try it on, and the second it was on my wrist, my mind changed. So weird but true.

There is nothing wrong if you don't like them, but I can only say, once you try it on, you know. Just try on all the various cases! Rad, rad 1950, sub 44, sub 47, lum 44, lum 1950, with mare being the outsider.

You get it or you don't.

Also, they patina very well. Some watches you are afraid to wear, not these.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2016, 02:04 AM   #14
Minimalist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusko.Popov View Post
I have not but am interested in trying one on actually. Something about them is so absolutely discourteous to my ordinary watch wearing proclivities but I find myself oddly attracted to them ... and for reasons that I can't explain. Maybe it's the utilitarian look. I can't put my finger on it. I scroll through pictures and I don't know why I'm doing it or even posting on this sub forum because the watch is nothing like what I would ordinarily wear. The crown guard seems like it was manufactured by Fisher price and the numbers look like the brain child of the person who invented the jitter bug phone, but again, I'm uniquely attracted to the watch and am strongly considering trying one on.

This whole post probably seems about as incongruent as a post can be but I'm trying to explain, probably ineffectively at this point, the point of my original thread.
This is definitely where you fall short. It's very difficult to try and justify the watch until you've actually tried one on. I agree with a lot of what people say about the panerai, even to some extent I felt the same. But then I went to my AD and tried one on and I don't know what it is about panerai but it just looked so damn good. Simple yet beautiful. Sufficed to say, I bought that panerai, which is the PAM 312. Sits high on the wrist since its an automatic, but I've almost gotten used to it straight away and it's not a problem. Even I still don't know what it is about my PAM, but I just love looking at it. What Mik (mfer) says is true.

Trust me friend, best thing for you right now is to get down to an AD and try on the various models. Somehow I think a radiomir is somewhere in my future (I actually liked the radiomir before I liked the luminor) they are all beautiful.
Old 16 May 2016, 11:34 AM   #15
DONGinsler
"TRF" Member

The first I saw was the Pam 40. One of the first two made and sold in the US. Thought it was a beautiful watch. Just loved the look.

Bought my first in 2001 and second in 2005.

If you like them you like them. If you don't, you don't. Has nothing to do with understanding them.

Same goes for any design of whatever. You either like or don't.

DON
DONGinsler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2016, 12:32 PM   #16
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONGinsler View Post
If you like them you like them. If you don't, you don't. Has nothing to do with understanding them.

Same goes for any design of whatever. You either like or don't.

DON

x2
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2016, 12:34 PM   #17
R1@160@alltimes
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛
Quote:
I'm trying to understand the love for Panerai. And I don't mean this at all disrespectfully. Stylistically, it's seems sorta pedestrian but also very utilitarian. I see them and don't really know what to think.

I don't understand them but I want to understand them and why people love them. Is there some unique history, build quality, a certain utility element, production rarity?

Again, I'd like to know more from people who appreciate them.

Thanks.
http://paneraiworld.blogspot.com/200...f-panerai.html
Old 16 May 2016, 12:48 PM   #18
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:

I don't see your problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04131r.jpg (237.2 KB, 201 views)

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2016, 03:48 AM   #19
Trurolexer
Banned

Watch: 5513MaxiI+PreComex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post

And now...Who's talking here?
You Rock Jocke!!!
Trurolexer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2016, 08:28 PM   #20
redimp
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega PO Ti
I own a Rolex SubC which I wear everyday it seems to stand up to daily use very well. I'm interested in adding a Panerai to my small collection but when I see a photo's of one being worn they often seem very scratched, are they that much less robust than a Rolex?
redimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 06:34 AM   #21
stockae92
"TRF" Member

scratches = the owner actually likes them and wears them
no scratch = its a safe queen and the owner wears something else that they like more

:)

Panerai is big and tall, it will get banged on stuff easier.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 07:37 AM   #22
Minimalist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redimp View Post
I own a Rolex SubC which I wear everyday it seems to stand up to daily use very well. I'm interested in adding a Panerai to my small collection but when I see a photo's of one being worn they often seem very scratched, are they that much less robust than a Rolex?
I read a lot that Panerai look a lot better when they're scratched up! It's a watch that's meant to be worn and used. I've yet to get mine to that stage. My hulk is scratched and I love it. It build character on the watch. Plus Rolex use a 914L steel which is supposed to hold polish/finish better for longer.

Get yourself to and AD and try on a PAM, you'll either love it or hate it, and then take it from there. Pictures can only do so much.