The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 6 February 2017, 04:05 AM   #1
Juantxo
Banned

The mech's corner...

I like a rich flow of ink from my nibs. Sometimes, though, in the case of older pens, or pens that have been put away without a proper cleaning, the ink doesn't flow properly. Then there is the case of some ST Dupont nibs which lack a breather hole.

So what to do to get those babies writing nicely...? Well, from a basic and elementary stance, as I know nothing about proper pen mechanics, I have taken a couple of pesky nibs and done the following:

1) I've put a little pressure on the nib against a soft-cover book, just enough pressure to see the tines coming apart just a little. I put the tip of my index finger on top of the back of the nib in order to avoid the nib separating from the feeder. Just a little pressure will do it.
2) Once I've done that a couple of times, I take a sheath of brass (0.002mm) and pass it between the tines. It's better to insert the tip of the brass sheath from the breather hole and pass it on to the tip. In the case of the Dupont, just spread the tines on the book and insert the brass sheath.

The results are almost miraculous. Pesky nibs become Olympic champs in a minute. By the way, you can buy the brass sheaths at $4 for a couple of tiny rectangles, or you can buy for $15 a roll long enough to cover the Statue of Liberty. Of course, if you are in business, buy a roll and cut it in tiny squares and make a fortune.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2050003.jpg (87.0 KB, 54 views)
Juantxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2017, 10:29 AM   #2
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
You are so right! Just a little careful play time with your nibs and they can take on an entirely different personality.

Where are you getting your brass sheets?

I have several left from a company that went out of business but will need more shortly.
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2017, 11:38 AM   #3
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
You are so right! Just a little careful play time with your nibs and they can take on an entirely different personality.

Where are you getting your brass sheets?

I have several left from a company that went out of business but will need more shortly.
Goulet has the little pieces. But Amazon has 0.002mm brass sheath (same as Goulet's) by the roll. This time around I bought from Goulet, after all, is not like I expect to use a lot of it. But depending about how it goes I might just buy a long roll of the stuff at Amazon the next time around.

https://www.gouletpens.com/goulet-br...ets/p/GP-10012
Old 6 February 2017, 06:06 PM   #4
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
I put in for some brass sheet at Andersen when I ordered some grit paper as well. Very useful tool. You definitely need some in your nibsmiths toolbox!
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2017, 09:15 PM   #5
jar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Samsung Gear S3
I had a bunch of old feeler gauges left from when I used to do work on my cars.
jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2017, 02:39 AM   #6
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar View Post
I had a bunch of old feeler gauges left from when I used to do work on my cars.
Did lots of that on my MG-B. The experience has helped.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spark plug gauge.jpg (39.2 KB, 21 views)