The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 February 2017, 06:07 AM   #1
Hwkaholic
"TRF" Member

Change in 116610LN dial??

Hello. I know I am new to TRF, but I am on he hunt to join the community on a more regular basis. I have been on "that other forum" for quite a while and have an excellent reputation over there. I have never owned a Rolex but am currently on the hunt to own my first. I have owned Omega, Tudor and several other brands. In fact, way more watches that I care to count. I have decided that I am going to get a 116610 or 116600. There are things that I love about each with some major differences that I dislike about each.

That said, in my research I have found that there are some differences in the font and/or printing on the dial of a SubC. I have seen some reputable online dealers selling SubC's with each of the dials below.

Essentially, the differences are most noticeable on the "1000 ft = 300 m" and the font used in all of the print other than "SUBMARINER".

Was there a point in time, year or iteration that Rolex changed the font??

Top photo is straight from Rolex's website. Notice the spacing between the "300" and the "m". As well as the font and size of the "ft" proceeding "1000". Also, the font used in all of the subsequent react below "SUBMARINER" seems to have "tails" on the ends of the letters whereas on the pic straight from Rolex, the font is a blocked font.

Any input and expertise is appreciated!!

Thanks!
Ty

From Rolex. Notice the wider spacing.

From web. Notice the tighter spacing.
Hwkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2017, 06:30 AM   #2
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
There's a few different dials but these are the major differences. One has serif and one sans serif for the SUBMARINER. From what others have said on previous threads, there is no rhyme or reason and one is not newer than the other.

It's the same for all Sub dials including the blue and green dials.
Hodog16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2017, 06:37 AM   #3
Hwkaholic
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the reply! I just wanted to make sure both variations were legit. Through some research I have found some legitimate dealers stating that the one with the more tightly spaced printing is or could be a fake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hwkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2017, 06:55 AM   #4
mistermann
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
I have the bottom style and like it a lot better.
mistermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2017, 06:56 AM   #5
seand442
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
Dials all seem to have their own identities. Every so often, it seems Rolex modifies the type or spacing for reasons only they know.
Old 6 February 2017, 07:18 AM   #6
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
I have the top and love it!
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2017, 07:27 AM   #7
Sydny2
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, GMT
I have the bottom one. Bought it from AD two months ago.
Sydny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2017, 07:43 AM   #8
JacksonStone
Banned

It looks like the date wheels are different on both versions, too. The non-serif dial has a non-serif date, and vice versa. Is that normal?

For what it's worth, my SubC Date is all serifs, and was purchased in November 2016 from an AD.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2017, 09:08 AM   #9
kauffee
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
Lots of threads on this topic, so you might want to run a search. But the short version, as others have said, is that there are multiple versions which are all legitimate and one is not necessarily newer than another.
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2017, 01:11 PM   #10
Harvey G.
"TRF" Member

I'm a very new Rolex owner and am glad to see this thread. Hopefully someone here can ease my mind a little. I've had my Rolex, a 116610ln, for less than two weeks. I bought it new from an authorized dealer so there would be no worries about it being legitimate.

I have read about the font variations and have no real concern with that. I just want to be sure the watch is really a Rolex. My problem is that there is one font change that I have never seen mentioned regarding a real Rolex. My concern is with the "A" in "SUBMARINER".

Everything I have read says that fakes usually have a pointed "A" while the real Rolex "A" has a flat top. Naturally mine has the pointed top on the "A" just to mess up my mind. This also does apply to some of the other "A"s on the dial.

I have looked at countless Submariner pictures over the last few months and have never seen the pointed "A" on any of them. Always a flat topped "A". I have seen the pointed "A" on pictures of fakes.

They said they received my watch from Rolex around December of 2016 so it is definitely relatively recent production.

Has anyone else seen a quite new legitimate Submariner (date) with a pointed "A" in the word SUBMARINER?

Thanks for anything you may be able to contribute.
Harvey G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2017, 07:10 AM   #11
Matt_75
Banned

New to these forums and Rolex, but searched about the font differences in the dial dealing with the FT and 1000ft=300M marking/spacing as well. I just really wanted to say that I too have a newer sub that I bought last month and it too has the pointed "A" vs the flat top for the SUBMARINER font. It was purchased from an AD as well. It also has the serif font and tightly spaced 1000ft=300M markings.
Matt_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2017, 08:12 AM   #12
MovieGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey G. View Post
I have read about the font variations and have no real concern with that. I just want to be sure the watch is really a Rolex.
If you bought a new Rolex from an AD you bought a genuine Rolex. That's one of the biggest benefits of buying directly from an AD: peace of mind.
What would an AD have to gain by selling a non-authentic Rolex? It would be immediately discovered when any service work was done.
MovieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2017, 11:00 AM   #13
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
There's another watch forum?
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2017, 11:33 AM   #14
s15blk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey G. View Post

I have looked at countless Submariner pictures over the last few months and have never seen the pointed "A" on any of them. Always a flat topped "A". I have seen the pointed "A" on pictures of fakes.

They said they received my watch from Rolex around December of 2016 so it is definitely relatively recent production.

Has anyone else seen a quite new legitimate Submariner (date) with a pointed "A" in the word SUBMARINER?

Thanks for anything you may be able to contribute.
I bought my LVc on November 2016 from a Rolex Boutique. It has a pointed A.
Hope that helps to ease your mind. Now, go and enjoy your new watch in good health!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2353.jpg (118.9 KB, 295 views)
s15blk is offline   Reply With Quote