The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 February 2017, 04:19 AM   #1
cataby
"TRF" Member

Watch: sea dweller
If you ever want a perfect example of poor "internet wisdom" search for cyclops on a

SeaDweller

You will see so many horribly misinformed reasons people give for this not being included on the watch that it is almost comical.

The reason I searched is my vision is getting a bit fuzzy in my older years and (gasp, the horror) am thinking of adding one to the dweller I currently have (not gonna trade it off and get a different watch, don't really care whether people like me doing it or not as, really, it is just a mass produced watch and not some priceless piece of art, so don't bother with the whole don't do it, I am old enough I no longer worry about what other people think) and wanted to see how it was done.

Now. My question being.

Why do people feel the need on the internet to give advice or answer something (i.e. why no cyclops on the dweller) when the subject is something they have absolutely no knowledge on (and some of the answers are really laughable, cyclops blowing off under pressure.. etc..)? What is it about the internet that causes people to suddenly feel the need to show of their ignorance? If I truly didn't know an answer to something, I certainly wouldn't be bragging to the world through stupid answers?

This is a thing I have seen many times on various boards, not strictly limited to this subject.

Just a bit of human nature that I find interesting.
cataby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 04:21 AM   #2
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

I've seen a few different reasons, but I don't think any of us know for sure. Do you know the answer or something?
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 04:41 AM   #3
Thatguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PAM
A lot of people probably think they do know and are trying to help. But they most likely got their information from a random person on the Internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 06:54 AM   #4
natosub
"TRF" Member

Watch: the tide roll in..
In my experience everyone is smarter online due to "internetonymity".
natosub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 07:03 AM   #5
artschool
"TRF" Member

i think the answer to your question is, because rolex didnt put one on the seadweller.
artschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 07:08 AM   #6
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
The only reason I have seen is that the crystal was supposed to be thicker and therefor it didn't work. Now I have seen a mod with a cyclops so I guess it worked out fine.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 11:39 PM   #7
TG3N
"TRF" Member

Cataby, the fact that three out of five responses to your post have managed to entirely overlook the actual question you were raising is probably answer enough to your enquiry.
TG3N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 11:46 PM   #8
beer
"TRF" Member

Watch: all
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG3N View Post
Cataby, the fact that three out of five responses to your post have managed to entirely overlook the actual question you were raising is probably answer enough to your enquiry.
Old 21 February 2017, 11:50 PM   #9
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Did you really want to find the answer to something you didn't know or did you already know the correct reason and just wanted to see what stupid and ignorant responses you'd get to the question as some kind of social experiment?

If the latter, please grace us with the genuine reason for the lack of the cyclops. If the former, how would you know which of the answers you received were dumb and which ones may indeed be the correct answer?
Old 22 February 2017, 12:07 AM   #10
Paul_I
"TRF" Member

This is all too much first thing on a Tuesday morning.

Paul_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 12:21 AM   #11
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
If the OP wants to put a Cyclops on his sea-dweller, there is no reason not to. I highly doubt he will ever take it to the depths it's rated for. If he does, then he can come back here and complain about damaging a watch that he modified.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 12:32 AM   #12
CaveDweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Timex
Because the "cyclops" doesn't actually work underwater ?

Perhaps Rolex didn't realise at the time that most of these watches would be worn by people driving cars, and tried to make a more "genuine" watch

Besides - everybody knows you need a watch that's waterproof to 600ft in case you don't get the sun roof up in time ......
CaveDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 12:41 AM   #13
hoppes-no9
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataby View Post
Now. My question being.

Why do people feel the need on the internet to give advice or answer something (i.e. why no cyclops on the dweller) when the subject is something they have absolutely no knowledge on (and some of the answers are really laughable, cyclops blowing off under pressure.. etc..)?
I think most folks respond either because:
1. they're trying to be helpful
- OR -
2. they're trying to show off how smart they are.
Some days I think the majority fall into the first category. Unfortunately most days I think otherwise.
hoppes-no9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 12:59 AM   #14
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changing
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
I've seen a few different reasons, but I don't think any of us know for sure. Do you know the answer or something?
Same here...don't think I've ever seen an official answer per Rolex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataby View Post
SeaDweller

....(and some of the answers are really laughable, cyclops blowing off under pressure.. etc..)?
Is it laughable? Some theories believe that at the depth the SD can go to, if there is any gas between the cyclops and the crystal, it can expand upon ascent and cause to cyclops to pop off. True? Don't know, but seems reasonable.

So maybe a misunderstanding of the concept since it's not the pressure at depth that'll do it, but the ascent and the expansion of gas (similar to need for the helium escape valve on the side).

As to why people spread bad information? I'm sure that reason varies from person to person; some may due it for malicious reasons, but I like to think many are trying to help but are too easy to accept things as fact that may not be. As with the world in general and not just in the watch world, bad information can spread quickly when it's just accepted as fact. Thus the common sarcastic quote along the lines of, "It must be true, I read it on the internet." My for what it's worth.
WAK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 02:45 AM   #15
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Get off my lawn!
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote