The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 February 2017, 01:23 AM   #1
DanielWatson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LN
Icon14 Buying new Rolex

Hello people, i am planning to buy either a submariner date 116610LN or if it is released (at Baselworld) a Gmt coke ceramic in steel.

My thoughts are my grail watch is the submariner date but i have a strong feeling the coke Gmt will increase in value more over time.

Please share your thoughts and opinions on this topic and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Daniel.
DanielWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 01:34 AM   #2
tjbender
2024 Pledge Member

Love GMTs. I expect you'd probably see a premium over retail if a coke were released. If I were you I'd call your ad/ads immediately after release get your name on the list. If you don't like the GMT flip it and apply your profits towards a sub.

As for appreciation over the long term, that's tough to say. Would probably be quite a while. I don't expect you'll see the craze we've seen for the 16710 over the last couple years for a six digit for quite along time . That watch had been out of production for 10 years and during that time the watch completely changed.

In summary, buy what you like. Congrats on your upcoming purchase
tjbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 01:42 AM   #3
Speed
"TRF" Member

It will be a mass produced watch.

When you say "increase in value over time" what sort of gains would really excite you to not buy your grail Sub and get the GMT?
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 01:44 AM   #4
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Agree. Watches (even Rolex) are not a investment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
It will be a mass produced watch.

When you say "increase in value over time" what sort of gains would really excite you to not buy your grail Sub and get the GMT?
Old 22 February 2017, 02:02 AM   #5
DanielWatson
"TRF" Member

Ok it's not an investment at least i could wear it for free technically if i buy one of these two knowing i wouldn't lose any money true?

Opinions on which one to buy would be appreciated chaps.
Old 22 February 2017, 02:09 AM   #6
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Is your grail a watch or making a few hundred quid? Go for the Rolex you love first.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 02:12 AM   #7
Steve36Efc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126603
Go with the grail watch all day long. You also stand a decent chance of picking one up pretty soon. Enjoy
Steve36Efc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 02:12 AM   #8
Speed
"TRF" Member

Buying new Rolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWatson View Post
Ok so opinions on which one to buy that would be appreciated thanks chaps

You're talking about a known quantity Vs a rumor. If the rumor is true, you'll likely see the watch in stores (theoretically) in late summer...then supplies will be constrained through Xmas.

If there is no Coke, easy decision. Buy your Sub after all Basel skus are announced.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 02:13 AM   #9
anothernewphone
Banned

Watch: 116520
By the time the vaporware GMT hits shelves, you probably could have bought the Sub Date and saved up enough to buy the GMT next.
anothernewphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 02:13 AM   #10
dualcarb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lover
Whatever watch you feel would make you happiest when you look at it on your wrist. I suggest that you go try the BLNR and sub and see which you like more. If the GMT tickles your fancy, then do wait till Basel to see if the coke would be revealed. Otherwise, just get the sub. You can't go wrong with either as they are both beautiful.
dualcarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 02:43 AM   #11
Maiden
"TRF" Member

Hi if the Sub was a true grail you would aquire it and not worry about the resale value of another model.
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 02:50 AM   #12
DanielWatson
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for your valued input guys
Old 22 February 2017, 03:37 AM   #13
Blue_Lume
Banned

Watch: Alleen Rolex
Quote:
Hello people, i am planning to buy either a submariner date 116610LN or if it is released (at Baselworld) a Gmt coke ceramic in steel.

My thoughts are my grail watch is the submariner date but i have a strong feeling the coke Gmt will increase in value more over time.

Please share your thoughts and opinions on this topic and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Daniel.

My thoughts and feelings - please buckle up:

Coke GMT is a rumour so if it comes out you are either going to wait a really really long time or pay a stupid premium. Still want it?

Ceramic Sub LN? Welcome to the club. EVERYONE has one. Everyone.

So my suggestion is to go elsewhere. Do you like a black dial watch? Then GMT master 2 LN. Explorer 2 42mm black dial.

Like other? Explorer 2 polar is hot. Yachtmaster with rhodium dial.

DJ2 sunburst blue white gold fluted.

I do own the LN submariner. But it's one of 7 and I don't wear it on the oyster bracelet so i'm ensured mine is always different than anyone else's in the room.
Blue_Lume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 03:37 AM   #14
bjw
"TRF" Member

No one can tell you what watch to buy or what is better. Buy which one whispers to you more. It's not against the law to purchase a second one down the line. Some may say its inevitable you will anyway.

The value Rolex holds is a big factor in determining to purchase one. It does for me. For most of the sport watches, you can walk out of a showroom with a new Sub, GMT and know its still worth 80% +/- what you paid for it. And you can pretty much guarantee you'd be able to get your full money back after 10-12 years Cant say that for most, if any other brand.

That being said, dont go into purchasing a Rolex for investment. There are better ways.
Tudor 79220N
Tudor 79260P Panda

"Opinions are like wrist watches, everyone's shows different time from the other. But all believe that theirs is accurate. "
bjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 03:53 AM   #15
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:

Thanks Daniel.
youre in england it is your first rolex, youll have the coke by 2025 if you go to an AD.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 04:09 AM   #16
Xerxes77
Banned

Go for the Rolex you want!
Do not think to make profit with GMT Coke and then...
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 04:26 AM   #17
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
If a Coke GMT comes out in steel (I personally doubt it) then you'll wait ages for one and probably have another price increase. With all that in mind it will likely be £7k...and that's a lot for an SS GMT.

Surprised not to hear you mention the Blnr, I'd have that in a heartbeat over a Sub Date and I wouldn't get rid of my BLNR even if a Coke GMT did come out. Blue and black looks amazing.

In short I'd recommend the BLNR if you can source one (or join a list). Alternatively I doubt you'll get your hands on the "SS Coke" if it comes out, for at least a year and you'll likely have to join various lists etc.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 04:38 AM   #18
dgobin208
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
If a Coke GMT comes out in steel (I personally doubt it) then you'll wait ages for one and probably have another price increase. With all that in mind it will likely be £7k...and that's a lot for an SS GMT.

Surprised not to hear you mention the Blnr, I'd have that in a heartbeat over a Sub Date and I wouldn't get rid of my BLNR even if a Coke GMT did come out. Blue and black looks amazing.

In short I'd recommend the BLNR if you can source one (or join a list). Alternatively I doubt you'll get your hands on the "SS Coke" if it comes out, for at least a year and you'll likely have to join various lists etc.
Great suggestion. Consider the Blnr. If you have concerns about investment value the Coke is more likely to be a bad investment if you pay a premium to get one.
dgobin208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 05:00 AM   #19
Investr
Banned

Watch: Constantly changes
Just buy the sub already....
Investr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 05:02 AM   #20
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Buy your grail watch.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 05:04 AM   #21
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Sub-C date for sure you did say that is your grail. If a Coke GMT did come out you would be a long time in sourcing one unless you paid a large premium. If your looking to invest Stocks, Bonds or Gold would be a better choice than a new watch.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 05:07 AM   #22
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
My thoughts are you would be crazy to get anything but your grail.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 05:24 AM   #23
natosub
"TRF" Member

Watch: the tide roll in..
Buying a watch in hopes that it will appreciate is not a wise investment. Just buy the watch you want and put your investments elsewhere.
natosub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 06:33 PM   #24
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

Thanks Daniel.
Afraid buying a Rolex is not all about $$$$$£££££ just buy the watch you want to own and wear in good health hopefully for many years.Then after years of the pleasure of owning and wearing the watch you wanted wear.Then if you do need to sell and it gives you a reasonable return then think of that as bonus of wearing and owning that watch over those years.Thats what's owning and wearing a Rolex is about its not all about $$$$$$£££££ will this or that go up or down.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 06:36 PM   #25
doramas
Banned

16710 coke
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 07:13 PM   #26
SeaDweller50
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 2 liner
Buy the Sub Date now and by the time you get the call for the Coke (if released) You'll know whether to keep the Sub, or sell. Or even better, have both.
SeaDweller50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 07:41 PM   #27
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Buy the watch you love!

From what we've seen from the Daytona release even if you're the very first person to put their name down on the list it's extremely unlikely you will be first in line to receive your watch.
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 07:50 PM   #28
jfoord27
"TRF" Member

At the risk of stirring the pot, with all the talk about a SS coke GMT coming out, maybe it's a leak from Rolex? An insider could easily leak it out leading to months of hype on the internet so that on release it 'does a Daytona'. Just a thought.
jfoord27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 08:22 PM   #29
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

Look elsewhere for investment.
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 08:27 PM   #30
dilip
"TRF" Member

Investing in a rumor sounds exhilarating! But maybe not believe in all things that go viral.
dilip is offline   Reply With Quote