The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 February 2017, 07:40 AM   #1
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Icon14 Verizon unlimited

I just started burning through a lot of data this last month and was at 10g in like 15 days into cycle which is a lot for me so I signed up for the unlimited plan with loyalty discounts ( 20 years ) I never used more then 3 gigs before

I never understood hot spot lol until Danny showed me last month so that why my data shot up. The unlimited plan is only 10.00 more a month 1 line only. So for 75.00 total including tax etc.. I can go nuts now and give it the child to watch movies from my hot spot. All high def streaming faster speeds and I think she said no throttle back on data speed, or it was some high amount like 22 gigs before they slow you to 3g. All in all I think it'll work great. Plus have monthly plan on AA while flying, that's getting more expensive but with about 100 hours a month in the air now it'll be worth it until they double the price. So much for not flying as much I thought. Can't sit still for very long it seems.
Thank you Admirals club too

I'm sure I'm missing something I have to double check but it sounds like a pretty good deal
Old 21 February 2017, 07:50 AM   #2
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

The rate throttling does kick in after a certain threshold is hit in a month. The battery life will be lessened if you leave the hotspot running on your phone, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 08:04 AM   #3
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

I always turn hot spot off..

22g they slow me down. Should be enough
Old 21 February 2017, 08:06 AM   #4
MonsterSS
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel View Post

me too. Only turn it on when I need to connect my laptop to it
MonsterSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 08:35 AM   #5
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
I switched to AT&T from Verizon since I have DIRECTV. I automatically get 22 gb unlimited data. The only problem is I lost my hot spot. I need to go in and find out what the story is. Very strange they do not offer hot spot capability.

Old 21 February 2017, 09:07 AM   #6
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by incontrol View Post
I switched to AT&T from Verizon since I have DIRECTV. I automatically get 22 gb unlimited data. The only problem is I lost my hot spot. I need to go in and find out what the story is. Very strange they do not offer hot spot capability.

Hotspots and tethering aren't allowed on AT&T's unlimited data plans. One of the many asterisks at the bottom of your plan.

* After 22GB of usage, reduced speeds may apply. Tethering and Mobile Hotspot use prohibited (except for Connected Car).

Old 21 February 2017, 10:39 AM   #7
mmutte

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Hotspots and tethering aren't allowed on AT&T's unlimited data plans. One of the many asterisks at the bottom of your plan.

* After 22GB of usage, reduced speeds may apply. Tethering and Mobile Hotspot use prohibited (except for Connected Car).

I had ATT unlimited for as long as I can remember and switched to a 10GB plan a couple months ago. I now have the hot spot capability, since I switched. I decided on the switch as I was told the only thing that changes after the 10GB is the speed. I technically still have unlimited data, only at a reduced speed after 10 GB, which is ok with me.
mmutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 06:13 PM   #8
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
75 bucks for an unlimited data transfer plan? Jeesch. That is expensive. About 15 or so here (data only), with speeds at about 100mbit. You get faster, but the price go up. I have an all inclusive (includes phone calls texts in most of europe, and a somewhat limited internet plan for the EU) all at 32 euros/month I think.
Old 21 February 2017, 08:17 PM   #9
ugazag
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
75 bucks for an unlimited data transfer plan? Jeesch. That is expensive. About 15 or so here (data only), with speeds at about 100mbit. You get faster, but the price go up. I have an all inclusive (includes phone calls texts in most of europe, and a somewhat limited internet plan for the EU) all at 32 euros/month I think.
From my understanding, Europe is light years ahead of us on mobile phones.
ugazag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 09:05 PM   #10
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmutte View Post
I had ATT unlimited for as long as I can remember and switched to a 10GB plan a couple months ago. I now have the hot spot capability, since I switched. I decided on the switch as I was told the only thing that changes after the 10GB is the speed. I technically still have unlimited data, only at a reduced speed after 10 GB, which is ok with me.
I have the AT&T 30 GB plan, with two iPhones and a wireless router. We've been using about 25 GB on it over all three devices. The wireless router is our home internet service (no cable modem out here in the wilderness) and burns through quite a bit of data.

Be careful with the reduced speed. It's OK for email and messaging, but most websites won't run very well.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 11:33 PM   #11
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugazag View Post
I'd say Asian markets have had more innovative uses for mobile technology - e.g., they led the way in payment applications long ago. And the US led the 4G/LTE deployment with more territory covered in the shortest timeframe.

The next wave of 5G will begin sometime after March of this year as the 600Mhz spectrum auctions end. Since the FCC used incentives for broadcasters to move off underutilized frequencies there won't be any push back methinks. Fast deployment after that. But EU efforts for the deployment of 5G infrastructures and services across the "Digital Single Market" will be slower - maybe ubiquitous by 2020...

Where we lose is the poorly planned pricing strategies and "bundles" that aren't really great. My team launched the original iPhone here in US via Cingular - we banned tethering, we banned Apps, we throttled usage (we had to do that as we missed the build-out needs for data). Very myopic and my one voice wasn't accepted until Apple gave in and started the Apps Developer Program.

I recall how myopic we and Apple were about Apps. Both of us limited the value they could unlock (remember the silly "WebApps" fiasco?)

If we gave developers their head, we'd have been ages ahead on better services at reasonable prices.

Old 21 February 2017, 11:50 PM   #12
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
rip off unlimited.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 08:06 AM   #13
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
I thought the hotspot was limited to like 5 or 10 gbs. Would love if VZW introduced unlimited prepaid plan.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 10:50 PM   #14
explodingtaco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel View Post

Only on busy towers. If your tower, specifically cell sector is not at 100% you still get full download. Only if you are busy, even then you are not "throttled" you are given a lessor priority to the other people on the tower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugazag View Post
Only because they have such dense population. The US would have the same thing if all we had was say New York state. Our technology is just as advance and more so in some cases. But we have so much open land that to get coverage almost everywhere the carriers have to build out million dollar towers for cows.

It drives up the cost and down the throughput.

Europe gets to focus on speed, the US has to focus on coverage.
explodingtaco is offline   Reply With Quote