The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 February 2017, 04:25 PM   #1
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
INCOMING! 16613 and a question

My bluesy finally came in but I have a question about the crown. It looks like the case tube was replaced at some point. There are some nicks on top of the crown guards to indicate that (I'm going to fix them). The crown looks just a little tilted when screwed in though. The case tube appears flush to the case but that crown is off a bit. I'll post a better picture tomorrow as it can't really be seen in this pic. Is this something to be concerned about? I have 30 days to return the watch if it's an issue. My watchmaker is on vacation for the next two weeks so it will be a bit before I open the case. It's kind of an odd thing that I have not seen before. Is it possible the movement is just a hair rotated in the case? The dial looks a little rotated as well. Just a small amount off to lug center. My old DJ had counter sunk screws so this could not happen. Not sure how a sub movement is held in the case until I open it up. I would say the markers are about half a second off to lug center.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (68.2 KB, 478 views)
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 04:29 PM   #2
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Ok snapped a pic of the crown. Appears to tilt down just a little.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (59.9 KB, 474 views)
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Old 21 February 2017, 04:33 PM   #3
Danny83
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
It looks slightly bent towards the bottom. Looks as if has been replaced. Maybe your watch maker can fix it soon. Congrats though
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 05:01 PM   #4
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
if the crown splines were re-touched or if the crown was never changed - ever, its likely just warped a bit as it is 18k gold and many over tighten the crown. many indy's and owners also avoid replacing the crowns on full services because its an instant $150 - $200 to replace it with an OEM. as long as its passing the pressure test, i'd leave it alone and not even fiddle with the insides until a major service is required.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 05:07 PM   #5
gossbeau
Banned

Watch: 25940ok
It looks great to me. Congrats!!
gossbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 05:10 PM   #6
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Is the crown 18kt gold capped as the DJ was? I was under the impression Rolex crowns are capped and not a solid gold piece. Could be wrong though. Still learning about subs. I should also mention that when unscrewing the crown, it doesn't "orbit" the stem. The tilt is consistent. This leads me to the case tube being the issue or the movement rotated slightly but it looks flush to the naked eye. I'll investigate under magnification tomorrow.
Old 21 February 2017, 05:29 PM   #7
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossbeau View Post
It looks great to me. Congrats!!

Old 21 February 2017, 06:13 PM   #8
BigCFM
"TRF" Member

Watch: this Space [ ]
Whatever you decide to do, I'll just say congrats on a great watch
BigCFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 10:02 PM   #9
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations. Looks good. I would not do anything to it until service time.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 10:42 PM   #10
Cerachrom12
Banned

Watch: ing you!
These crowns were just gold capped.
Cerachrom12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 11:08 PM   #11
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Congrats on the bluesy man!

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 11:12 PM   #12
natosub
"TRF" Member

Watch: the tide roll in..
Congrats on the watch. Hope it's an easy fix!
natosub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 12:51 AM   #13
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Congrats on a great watch !!!
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 03:47 AM   #14
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

I've been eyeing the rest of the watch condition and it appears there's a chip in the Cyclops as well as the upper edge ~1:00 in the crystal. Also some weird things happening when trying to turn the minute hand back with the movement hacked. It wants to pull the second hand back as well for about half a second. Crown is also difficult to pull out to hack the movement too. This one might be going back. Kind of pissed off about it too since the seller will not send pictures of the actual watch before shipping. Return shipping is also going to be on my dime according the return policy
Old 22 February 2017, 03:49 AM   #15
nick c
Banned

Great choice congrats
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 03:51 AM   #16
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulansx View Post
I've been eyeing the rest of the watch condition and it appears there's a chip in the Cyclops as well as the upper edge ~1:00 in the crystal. Also some weird things happening when trying to turn the minute hand back with the movement hacked. It wants to pull the second hand back as well for about half a second. Crown is also difficult to pull out to hack the movement too. This one might be going back. Kind of pissed off about it too since the seller will not send pictures of the actual watch before shipping. Return shipping is also going to be on my dime according the return policy
the minute hand back a half second is normal. i had this happen to me on both my rolex and tudor and there was a thread i made about it. do not worry. if you are worried simply set the time forward only.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 03:53 AM   #17
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
the minute hand back a half second is normal. i had this happen to me on both my rolex and tudor and there was a thread i made about it. do not worry. if you are worried simply set the time forward only.
Interesting. I'll search for the thread and take a look.
Old 22 February 2017, 03:57 AM   #18
TheRolexKingofLV
"TRF" Member

Congrats on a great looking classic
Old 22 February 2017, 03:57 AM   #19
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Congrats
Old 22 February 2017, 10:24 AM   #20
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Congrats

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 11:13 AM   #21
blue16613
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulansx View Post
It's a great watch and, in the end, all will be fine. You'll be ever glad you bought it. BUT, it sounds like you have dealt with something less than a "trusted" seller. Post the 411 on the seller under "Watch Out" so we can all learn and beware.
blue16613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 11:16 AM   #22
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Looks great. Congrats!
watchwatcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 11:42 AM   #23
MonsterSS
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126613LB
Sweet watch congratulations. Welcome to the family!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0916.jpg (96.5 KB, 278 views)
MonsterSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 11:51 AM   #24
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Congratulations!
Tudor Ranger 79910
Nomos Club Datum 733
Nomos Metro 38
Stowa Flieger Classic 40

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 01:46 PM   #25
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
Congrats
Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 04:52 PM   #26
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue16613 View Post
It's a great watch and, in the end, all will be fine. You'll be ever glad you bought it. BUT, it sounds like you have dealt with something less than a "trusted" seller. Post the 411 on the seller under "Watch Out" so we can all learn and beware.
The seller is Beckertime. Not my first choice at all but I kind of got stuck because of my previous DJ I bought from them (1st Rolex). That watch had case corrosion that I did not know about until a year or so after purchasing. I traded it in for the bluesy. They spend about 25% of the instruction manual discussing how authentic their watches are and not to be worried. Kind of a big turn off since I found out the bezel insert is aftermarket only after purchasing with no mention of it before. Not the end of the world but RSC would sh!t on that when it goes in for service. I don't have the right case wrench for a sub to open the case so I'm going to have to wait for my watchmaker. Worst case is I replace the crystal if it bugs me too much. I'm fairly confident the difficulty pulling the crown and the mis alignment is due to the movement being skewed just a bit. It's a beautiful watch but the annoying details that I need to address just bug me. Also the case polish was lame. I went back over it by hand and got rid of the up and down streaks from their buffing wheel. Still need to do the bracelet since same issue there. Then there's the dings from the case tube replacement. It's an amateur job in my opinion but repairable.
Old 22 February 2017, 09:58 PM   #27
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Based on what you have shared I would send it back. Too many issues listed.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 10:48 PM   #28
Gerry62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai
Congrats !
Old 23 February 2017, 02:20 PM   #29
albmich
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4k
Doesn't look awful but if it bugs you then I'd have your watchmaker take a quick look and weigh in after he returns from vacation. As long as it passes the pressure test, it looks okay to me.

Congrats on a beauty
albmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2017, 05:36 PM   #30
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

I've been wearing my new sub all this week. I did some work on the bezel tonight and removed the dings and scratches without changing the profile and sharpness of the bezel with some 4K micromesh and some polishing paste by hand. Also gave her a good bath with soap and water. The watch is really starting to pop now and it feels more like it's mine. I've gone back over the lazy polishing on the case by hand and it looks new. There's a couple dings left in the crown guard to remove and a scratch in the cyclops. I filled that with lacquer to take the heat off the scratch for now and it seems to be ok. I'm feeling more positive about all of this these days. Still not sure what's up with the crown but it's not the end of the world since that's a service item. I'm happy to finally have a bluesy on my wrist that feels like it's mine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (107.9 KB, 131 views)