The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 February 2017, 11:06 PM   #31
karmatp
"TRF" Member

Ceramic blows, I hate it. If Rolex adds ceramic to the Explorer II, they will have ruined another perfect tool watch.
Old 21 February 2017, 11:37 PM   #32
copperjohn
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp
Yeah, no. Ceramic does not need to be on EVERYTHING.
copperjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 09:43 AM   #33
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
What I don't get is the insistence that the Explorer need a stainless bezel to be a tool watch because in all reality you don't need the bezel to track the 24 hour scale. It simply moves one half the scale of the hour hands. The only thing IMO tool about the stainless bezel is that it is cheaper to replace if desired or needed.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 10:42 AM   #34
ejvette
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: me break clays..
Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
What I don't get is the insistence that the Explorer need a stainless bezel to be a tool watch because in all reality you don't need the bezel to track the 24 hour scale. It simply moves one half the scale of the hour hands. The only thing IMO tool about the stainless bezel is that it is cheaper to replace if desired or needed.
Also it gets so scratched up very easily and looks like crap in a short period of time it would be nice if it was something more durable IMO of course

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 10:47 AM   #35
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The point is that ceramic is more brittle than steel, so you'd be sacrificing durability for the sake of being less scratch prone. That's backwards thinking on a watch designed for bounding around on rocks and whatnot.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 11:18 AM   #36
ejvette

Watch: me break clays..
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
The point is that ceramic is more brittle than steel, so you'd be sacrificing durability for the sake of being less scratch prone. That's backwards thinking on a watch designed for bounding around on rocks and whatnot.
Seriously ..... how many exp II owners are rock climbing and such ..... probably about the same amount of DSSD owners that spend any time 3900m below the ocean

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 11:26 AM   #37
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejvette View Post
Seriously ..... how many exp II owners are rock climbing and such ..... probably about the same amount of DSSD owners that spend any time 3900m below the ocean
I live in Oregon and wear my Explorer II doing everything, from riding rapids to climbing, but that's beside the point. Taking away the durable bezel of the Exp II is the equivalent of making the DSSD only 50m WR, since most don't dive with it. The durable bezel was always the differentiating factor between the Exp. II and GMT.

Now, if we want to talk about Rolex wearers who baby their watches and worry about scratching, we've already had plenty of threads started recently.
Old 22 February 2017, 11:27 AM   #38
chris242

Watch: 116610lv
no thanks!
chris242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 02:05 PM   #39
Pan Chai
"TRF" Member

ceramic or not, I'd love the Explorer 2 to have a black bezel.
Pan Chai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 02:20 PM   #40
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by doramas View Post
i do not like. Loses his identity. Also ... It looks a lot like gmt master ll.

Noooooooooooooooooo
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 02:52 PM   #41
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

The stainless steel bezel on the Explorer II is part of its DNA. Sure practically the change to ceramic would affect little other than ruin a watch that has its own aesthetic.

Why do people want to change the Explorer II into the GMT-Master II? I like that it's a different size. I like that it has an orange GMT hand. I like that the bezel is fixed and stainless steel. Every month there's a thread about the GMT getting a white dial or the Explorer II getting a ceramic bezel. Let them each be their own thing.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 09:07 PM   #42
zion_rasta
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II ceramic
And all of a sudden all Rolex look the same with ceramic bezel...
Sold - Daytona 116523; YM 116622; Datejust 16233
zion_rasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 09:52 PM   #43
cmadams
"TRF" Member

Yes, you are.
cmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 10:04 PM   #44
Seaotter
"TRF" Member

Looks like Grand Seiko
Seaotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 10:09 PM   #45
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
One of a few sport models that I hope stays with a non-ceramic bezel.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2017, 05:05 AM   #46
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
But a SS bezel getting slammed hard enough that the equivalent ceramic bezel shatters, would also do a pretty good number on a SS Bezel and it would be needed to be replaced as well. Unless that is you prefer dents on your bezel, as I'm sure some do. So bottom line IMO either bezel would need to be replaced after this type of damage and the bezel is unnecessary if ever in an emergency situation because you don't need a bezel to track the 24/second time zone, just the 24 hour hand.
Old 23 February 2017, 05:07 AM   #47
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
But a SS bezel getting slammed hard enough that the equivalent ceramic bezel shatters, would also do a pretty good number on a SS Bezel and it would be needed to be replaced as well. Unless that is you prefer dents on your bezel, as I'm sure some do. So bottom line IMO either bezel would need to be replaced after this type of damage and the bezel is unnecessary if ever in an emergency situation because you don't need a bezel to track the 24/second time zone, just the 24 hour hand.
No way. I've seen lots of ceramic inserts fractured over the last several years that even the aluminum bezel inserts would have handled, let alone a solid steel bezel. Plus, even if that was the case, an Explorer II bezel is only a few hundred bucks to replace.
Old 23 February 2017, 05:14 AM   #48
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No way. I've seen lots of ceramic inserts fractured over the last several years that even the aluminum bezel inserts would have handled, let alone a solid steel bezel.
To offer a contrary point of view, plenty of people take their ceramic Subs, SD4K, and Deep Sea pieces diving and around plenty of rocks and don't seem to have much of an issue. Again it's just my opinion and I'm sure you and others may disagree, but I think the durability issue is bit over-exaggerated
Old 23 February 2017, 05:19 AM   #49
Alex_TA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaotter View Post
Looks like Grand Seiko

More like Timex
Alex_TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2017, 05:22 AM   #50
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
To offer a contrary point of view, plenty of people take their ceramic Subs, SD4K, and Deep Sea pieces diving and around plenty of rocks and don't seem to have much of an issue. Again it's just my opinion and I'm sure you and others may disagree, but I think the durability issue is bit over-exaggerated
Several years ago, there was a poll asking about cracked ceramic, and over 7% responded that their bezel had cracked or broken. While that's not a huge number, I'm guessing Explorer II owners would have about a 0% rate. Seeing how the Explorer II is built to be the most durable of the professional series (which is partly why it had a fixed bezel in the first place,) it wouldn't make sense to raise those odds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 11.19.23 AM.jpg (9.5 KB, 59 views)
Old 23 February 2017, 05:24 AM   #51
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD,Sub,GMT,Daytona
I like it and I would buy the polar without a doubt in my mind.
mannyv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2017, 05:29 AM   #52
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Several years ago, there was a poll asking about cracked ceramic, and over 7% responded that their bezel had cracked or broken. While that's not a huge number, I'm guessing Explorer II owners would have about a 0% rate. Seeing how the Explorer II is built to be the most durable of the professional series (which is partly why it had a fixed bezel in the first place,) it wouldn't make sense to raise those odds.
I agree the SS won't shatter like the Ceramic may.

There is a self-reporting bias built into that sample poll. Users that have experienced an issue of cracking or shattering are a lot more likely to self report the results, while users that have no problem with their ceramic bezels don't necessarily go out of their way to report that. I'm sure 7% in this sample is much much higher of a failure rate than that of the true population size.

Old 23 February 2017, 05:53 AM   #53
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree the SS won't shatter like the Ceramic may.

There is a self-reporting bias built into that sample poll. Users that have experienced an issue of cracking or shattering are a lot more likely to self report the results, while users that have no problem with their ceramic bezels don't necessarily go out of their way to report that. I'm sure 7% in this sample is much much higher of a failure rate than that of the true population size.

I'd agree if we're talking about new members coming on a forum to report a problem, but polls among forum members are a little different.

Either way, even only 32 people in the entire world had a broken ceramic bezel by 2012, that's probably about 32 more people than had a broken steel bezel. A ceramic bezel goes against the ethos of the Explorer II.
Old 23 February 2017, 06:26 AM   #54
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'd agree if we're talking about new members coming on a forum to report a problem, but polls among forum members are a little different.

Either way, even only 32 people in the entire world had a broken ceramic bezel by 2012, that's probably about 32 more people than had a broken steel bezel. A ceramic bezel goes against the ethos of the Explorer II.
If I was exploring caves, I would be much more worried about my cyclops getting knocked into something than my recessed ceramic bezel...
Old 23 February 2017, 06:51 AM   #55
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If I was exploring caves, I would be much more worried about my cyclops getting knocked into something than my recessed ceramic bezel...

Hey, I'd welcome a plexi crystal like the original 1655, too, as it would make more sense for a watch that is supposed to withstand impact.

My dream watch is probably the one in my avatar. It was custom made by Rolex for Oliver Shepard's crew. It was essentially the 1655, but with a more legible GMT dial, and it was likely the inspiration for the 16550/16570 design. Unfortunately they only made 3, so you can imagine the price.
Old 23 February 2017, 07:09 AM   #56
PaulChronometer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Horage Array
40mm, steel, is King
PaulChronometer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2017, 07:11 AM   #57
kelv_w
"TRF" Member

so the non ceramic EXII would be discontinued and go up in value?
kelv_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2017, 08:14 AM   #58
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hey, I'd welcome a plexi crystal like the original 1655, too, as it would make more sense for a watch that is supposed to withstand impact.

My dream watch is probably the one in my avatar. It was custom made by Rolex for Oliver Shepard's crew. It was essentially the 1655, but with a more legible GMT dial, and it was likely the inspiration for the 16550/16570 design. Unfortunately they only made 3, so you can imagine the price.
Could you imagine being lucky enough to own a piece Rolex only made three copies of! I'm not sure if Rolex would ever do something so limited in this day and age, so pretty cool for sure
Old 23 February 2017, 08:20 AM   #59
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Could you imagine being lucky enough to own a piece Rolex only made three copies of! I'm not sure if Rolex would ever do something so limited in this day and age, so pretty cool for sure
Yeah, no kidding. Here's a great article about it (I believe it's since been confirmed that there were 3 copies of it.) They apparently sent back their regular 1665s and asked for the GMT dial, since it was easier to read, and Rolex obliged.

http://www.woundforlife.com/2014/05/...edition-rolex/
Old 23 February 2017, 08:49 AM   #60
jdmi32
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
I'm not a buyer at 42mm anyways so Rolex can do whatever they want with the Exp II. I'll just make do with the classics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4812.JPG (262.1 KB, 31 views)
jdmi32 is offline   Reply With Quote