The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 26 December 2013, 03:28 PM   #1
rmr2122
"TRF" Member

Bob Ridley basic service cost?

Does anyone know how much Bob Ridley charges for a basic service? I see on Rikki's website the cost is $400. I'm deciding whether it is worth sending my. 6084 to Bob or if he will be too expensive. I haven't heard back from him via email (understandably considering the holiday), so I thought I'd post here. Thanks!
rmr2122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2013, 04:23 PM   #2
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5514
Bob has different level basic services now for different watches. When he himself does the work I believe it costs more. But when he has his new in-house watchmaker do the work it's a bit more economical. I can't give number quotes as I think they vary per watch. Both Rik and Bob come highly recommended on the forum though so I'm sure you can't go wrong either way. Give them a ring or email after the holidays and I'm sure you'll hear back asap. Both very nice guys in my experience.

@true_patina
@true.dome
007Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2013, 05:26 PM   #3
Touring
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Last time I inquired, around $700 for the assistant, $1600 for the big cheese.
Touring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2013, 05:47 PM   #4
waQstar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16760
Try ABC wathwerks in Los Angeles, they are very good at what they do
Old 26 December 2013, 11:02 PM   #5
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
I don't know what he charges you would have to call him. I've seen some service receipts from watches that were for sale that were 2-4 times what Rolex would charge for a service.

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2013, 12:57 AM   #6
bscepter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 Submariner
he overhauled my father in law's '66 GMT. that cost just under $3k. but that included rebuilding the bracelet and replacing a bunch of parts (it hadn't been serviced for 30 years).

i can't recommend him enough, though. super-nice guy and very easy to deal with.

2009 16610 Submariner Date
1971 1601 Datejust
1966 Omega Seamaster
1965 Vulcain Voyager Chronograph
bscepter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2013, 11:19 AM   #7
GeoGio Greece
"TRF" Member

Watch: es --> A lot !
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekbum View Post
I don't know what he charges you would have to call him. I've seen some service receipts from watches that were for sale that were 2-4 times what Rolex would charge for a service.
Nikos, we do in Athens, with TOP TOP TOP technician (Ex Rolex chief for decades), a full service with E 100-120. And it takes 3-5 working days max. and you can stand next to the bench and watch.

Finally its worth living in Athens

DJ WG Jubilee 16170 for wife - U series

Oyster Perpetual WG 177234 for daughter V-series
GeoGio Greece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2013, 11:56 AM   #8
skprd13
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675-1680-16750
Rikki does excellent service and the turn around time from Kauai was only 3 weeks. Full service with new crystal, crown, tube and a few other misc. parts ran me just $720.00 very pleased with the results and service including a light polish. Per my request for the polishing part. Rikki will answer any of your questions and tell you when you do not need to have something done to your watch even if you think it should be. I appreciate honesty and quality service. Good luck on your decision and let's see the wrist shots once your watch is serviced by whoever! Will post before and after pictures this weekend since my watch is at the office, just arrived back from Rikki today and I happened to take today off and the watch was sent to my office! Figures right!
Tom
skprd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2013, 11:58 AM   #9
rain_maker
Banned

Watch: 5513
Basic service is around $700 when I had it done a year ago. Of course once you open up a vintage piece all bets are off re what else is needed. A new crown, tube, mainspring, etc are additional.

He does do great work in my first hand experience so you can't go wrong. But as w any vintage, service can be expensive.
rain_maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2013, 11:59 AM   #10
CrownMe
"TRF" Member

Watch: My Open 6
Call Abc watchwerks. You will get the same great service for a much cheaper price.
CrownMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2013, 12:55 PM   #11
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekbum View Post
Same here. Have been surprised by some of the charges I've seen. For reference, RSC charged me about US$850 for this work on my Sub 5513 (some numbers at the top blurred by me).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-10-25 14.39.54 (2).jpg (58.6 KB, 1446 views)
Old 28 December 2013, 08:08 AM   #12
bobridley
TechXpert & 2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Sub View Post
Bob has different level basic services now for different watches. When he himself does the work I believe it costs more. But when he has his new in-house watchmaker do the work it's a bit more economical. I can't give number quotes as I think they vary per watch. Both Rik and Bob come highly recommended on the forum though so I'm sure you can't go wrong either way. Give them a ring or email after the holidays and I'm sure you'll hear back asap. Both very nice guys in my experience.

Glad to hear that word is getting out about our new service. I’ve spent the past year or so collaborating with another well-respected CW21 watchmaker and I’m delighted with the results.
Simply put, our view is to provide the same “Bob Ridley” service for an affordable cost.
bobridley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2014, 05:12 AM   #13
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGio Greece View Post
Nikos, we do in Athens, with TOP TOP TOP technician (Ex Rolex chief for decades), a full service with E 100-120. And it takes 3-5 working days max. and you can stand next to the bench and watch.

Finally its worth living in Athens

Including oem parts or just clean and lube?

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2014, 06:10 AM   #14
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Call Dalton at ABC Watchwerks in LA, great service, resonbale prices and fast turnaround, they've done a GMT Master II, sub 14060M and Tudor 79090 in last two years.....
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2014, 06:12 AM   #15
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
There's Four Crowns in L.A., the staff used to work at the Bev Hills RSC.
Old 5 June 2014, 07:24 AM   #16
Bruin Watch
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaCartier
Another nod for Dalton at ABC Watchwerks in downtown LA. He's been helpful for all my needs, including Omega and Cartier brands.
Bruin Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2014, 07:28 AM   #17
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
So choice enough . . .

HAGOne

Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2014, 12:45 PM   #18
cajuntiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5512
Bobs work is exceptional.
cajuntiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2016, 05:33 AM   #19
tmac65
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5218-203A
I disagree with the above statement!

Here's why: I had a Semi Bubbleback serviced at the tune of the of US2100 and change when he had quoted me originally 1800! The watch was returned with a new acrylic crystal which did not fit the time period! The hands were not moving freely as they were bent!
The watch needed to be sent back for an additional month ( plus 6 months it took to get the watch serviced - movement only mind you!) and finally arrived in working order.
After 20 months the movement stopped working and I sent the watch to Bob for an estimate for repair! I got a quote of over 800 for the service he intended to perform and after talking to him finally advised him to just return the watch to me.
Not only did he charge me for the estimate to have the watch serviced, but when another watchmaker opened the case he noticed the following: one of the movement holder screws to the case was missing in addition to the screw that holds the rotor in place!!!
I will never recommend or send another one of my Rolex watches to him based upon my experience.
Btw. got my watch in perfect running condition for 150 bucks and found a Watchmaker for life.
tmac65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2016, 12:04 PM   #20
donq
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,1675,16030
Another zombie thread back from the dead.. 2014?!
donq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2017, 10:36 PM   #21
hitchhiker42
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac65 View Post
Here's why: I had a Semi Bubbleback serviced at the tune of the of US2100 and change when he had quoted me originally 1800! The watch was returned with a new acrylic crystal which did not fit the time period! The hands were not moving freely as they were bent!
The watch needed to be sent back for an additional month ( plus 6 months it took to get the watch serviced - movement only mind you!) and finally arrived in working order.
After 20 months the movement stopped working and I sent the watch to Bob for an estimate for repair! I got a quote of over 800 for the service he intended to perform and after talking to him finally advised him to just return the watch to me.
Not only did he charge me for the estimate to have the watch serviced, but when another watchmaker opened the case he noticed the following: one of the movement holder screws to the case was missing in addition to the screw that holds the rotor in place!!!
I will never recommend or send another one of my Rolex watches to him based upon my experience.
Btw. got my watch in perfect running condition for 150 bucks and found a Watchmaker for life.
I have never used Bob's service, so I'm not trying to defend him, however I have to say that I think it is fair to pay for the repair estimate. Most places will comp the estimate charge if you agree to the service, but they ask you to pay for the estimate if you decline. Seems fair to me.

Think of it this way:

If you went to a doctor and got a diagnosis, would you expect not to pay if you didn't buy the medicine or get the surgery she recommended? No, you would be expected to pay the doctor for her time.

It sounds like you don't have the right attitude; be happy you wore your old watch for 20 months before something happened again. Look, you're wearing a 60 year old watch. These aren't new, these are antiques.

I have met people in the classic-car world with this kind of attitude: The kind of person who would buy an old Mercedes and then complain every time something needed repair, on the grounds of "Mercedes shouldn't break, German cars are supposed to be good quality!" They give their mechanic headaches by making everything his fault. Sorry, but this is just how old mechanical things work. They wear out and break down.

Perhaps a new Rolex with a warranty would fit your personality better?
hitchhiker42 is offline   Reply With Quote