The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 January 2014, 10:48 AM   #1
samuelhuntington
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167, 16570, 5513
Explorer ii problem.

Hi everyone. I have a explorer ii 16570 random serial with the 3186 movement. This watch was purchased from ad in July of 2011.

I was just setting the time after about two weeks of non use and when I had the crown in the second position, where just the hour hand jumps in one hour increments, when the hour hand stopped jumping and started moving smoothly. I moved the crown in and out of its different positions and the hour hand no longer moves in one hour increments like it should. The date still changes when it goes past 12 but I fear something is broken.

Has this happened to anyone? Do you think rolex will give me a break since its only 6 months after the warranty ended or am I looking at a full service? I know I'll just have to send it in but if anyone has any experience with this I would love to hear. Thanks so much
samuelhuntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2014, 10:52 AM   #2
Brenngun
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Has never happened to any of mine. Go back and see your friendly AD. They may be able to work something out.

Brenngun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2014, 10:55 AM   #3
samuelhuntington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenngun View Post
Has never happened to any of mine. Go back and see your friendly AD. They may be able to work something out.
Yah I would but I bought here used from a Trf trusted seller. Probably just have to deal with NYC rsc...
Old 14 January 2014, 11:05 AM   #4
xjeeunitx
2024 Pledge Member

try pulling out the crown to its third position and rotate it until you progress to next few days. Then go back and try moving in the 2nd position again.
xjeeunitx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2014, 11:23 AM   #5
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
Move crown in both directions. It probably is not a difficult fix. Best of luck!
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2014, 11:43 AM   #6
samuelhuntington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjeeunitx View Post
try pulling out the crown to its third position and rotate it until you progress to next few days. Then go back and try moving in the 2nd position again.
Yup just tried this as well as moving both directions. When I move the minute hand the hour hand sometimes moves with it and then it just stops. Off to rsc I guess.

This is quite frustrating on a two and a half year old watch. I know these watches are mechanical and these things happen, I just really don't want to get soaked for a full service on such a new watch.
Old 14 January 2014, 12:22 PM   #7
ceconomakis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Where to start?
Many people have tried various quick fix solutions and some do work.
But, these are precision watches so if something like this does occur in my opinion, stop playing with it and send for repairs.
All comments and opinions will not pay the possible additional damage that could occur.
It is bad luck this happened but it has happened to many who bought a watch new and a few months after warranty expires, it breaks.
ceconomakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2014, 01:02 PM   #8
samuelhuntington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceconomakis View Post
Many people have tried various quick fix solutions and some do work.
But, these are precision watches so if something like this does occur in my opinion, stop playing with it and send for repairs.
All comments and opinions will not pay the possible additional damage that could occur.
It is bad luck this happened but it has happened to many who bought a watch new and a few months after warranty expires, it breaks.
Sound advice. Thank you all. Sending it in tomorrow.
Old 14 January 2014, 06:30 PM   #9
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelhuntington View Post
Yup just tried this as well as moving both directions. When I move the minute hand the hour hand sometimes moves with it and then it just stops. Off to rsc I guess.

This is quite frustrating on a two and a half year old watch. I know these watches are mechanical and these things happen, I just really don't want to get soaked for a full service on such a new watch.
Sounds like a easy fix there have been a few reports very similar to yours on forum and all with the 3186.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2014, 02:54 AM   #10
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:

It is frustrating but it is a failure of the early 3186 movements that we have heard of and is documented in the Forum..

I believe that I would let Rolex know that this is a well known manufacturing fault and even though the watch is out of warranty, it should be repaired as a warranty issue. Rolex is well aware that many 3186 movements are ticking time bombs in this regard.
Old 15 January 2014, 03:02 AM   #11
samuelhuntington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
It is frustrating but it is a failure of the early 3186 movements that we have heard of and is documented in the Forum..

I believe that I would let Rolex know that this is a well known manufacturing fault and even though the watch is out of warranty, it should be repaired as a warranty issue. Rolex is well aware that many 3186 movements are ticking time bombs in this regard.
Thanks. That was the info I was looking for. Ill do a search and read up on the 3186 issues before I talk to them. I had no idea. I sent it in today and it will be there at the end of the week. I hope for the best. Thanks everyone
Old 24 January 2014, 09:27 AM   #12
samuelhuntington
"TRF" Member

So I just got the repair estimate from rolex NYC. They said the movement needed service. Since the watch is only 6 months out of warranty the took $200 off the service fee to make it a $400 fix. I called and spoke with a rep there and told him this was a well documented issue with the 3186 movement. I asked for a bigger discount and they are going to talk to manager and call me tomorrow. So if they only give me the 200 off does that seem fair to you? Should I write a letter to rolex Geneva and take it farther or just pay. What would you do in my spot. Any advice appreciated. Thanks
Old 24 January 2014, 10:13 AM   #13
HL65

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
So I just got the repair estimate from rolex NYC. They said the movement needed service. Since the watch is only 6 months out of warranty the took $200 off the service fee to make it a $400 fix. I called and spoke with a rep there and told him this was a well documented issue with the 3186 movement. I asked for a bigger discount and they are going to talk to manager and call me tomorrow. So if they only give me the 200 off does that seem fair to you? Should I write a letter to rolex Geneva and take it farther or just pay. What would you do in my spot. Any advice appreciated. Thanks
I think the fact the watch is only 2 and a half years and needs a service is clearly due to an issue with the movement. It is nice they will take $200 off but for a watch that new and 6 months out of warranty I would expect more. Look forward to hearing response. I think you could write to Geneva but not sure how easy it would be to communicate with the mother ship. I would ask AD to contact Rolex and ask them to step up. Best of luck Sam!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2014, 10:17 AM   #14
Old Expat Beast

Watch: SEIKO
Well it is a known problem but not to the extent that Rolex will do a product recall. Your watch lasted for its warranty period, which is all was promised by Rolex. I'd let it go.
Old 24 January 2014, 01:14 PM   #15
Grey.Coupe
"TRF" Member

Resolved in the 3187, I guess...
Grey.Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2014, 06:22 AM   #16
samuelhuntington
"TRF" Member

Update. After a little back and forth I got a call today from Isabella from rolex. She was much more helpful than the previous gentleman I talked with before. This is what they offered me: they will fix the problem free of charge and return the watch unpolished and without a new 2 year warranty. just a quick fix like some of you thought.

Or, they will service the watch and give me the 2 year warranty for the price of $300.

What would you do? I was thinking that I might flip this watch in the near future and I'm sure it would be easier to sell with the warranty but would I get 300 more for it??? Or just fix and flip? It's still just a 2.5 year old watch. Thanks

Last edited by samuelhuntington; 28 January 2014 at 06:23 AM.. Reason: Typos
Old 28 January 2014, 06:47 AM   #17
RRGHOST1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT SubC Blue
If you are thinking of flipping the watch in the near future,i would get the service and warranty for $300,it will be a good selling point IMO.
Old 28 January 2014, 06:49 AM   #18
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
If you're going to flip it, I don't think I would pay the $300...just my two cents.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2014, 06:51 AM   #19
petenyc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
I would not get the warranty
petenyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2014, 08:52 AM   #20
samuelhuntington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRGHOST1 View Post
If you are thinking of flipping the watch in the near future,i would get the service and warranty for $300,it will be a good selling point IMO.
Yah I am leaning towards the service as I'm sure it would be easier to sell but it might be a waste of 300 as the watch will sell either way. Thanks